“Great vacation!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Akumal
Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
London, Canada
“Great vacation!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

This was my first time at the Sirenis and my travelling partner's third time. It is an hour bus ride from the airport in Cancun but the ride went by fast. The resort needs a bit of updating as some of the buildings and pool areas are starting to show their age but this didn't deter from our experience. The staff were all very friendly, the food was what is to be expected from an all-inclusive, and the amenities were all good. The beach is a bit rocky but that is due mostly to all the coral in and around the area, so be sure to bring water shoes. Great place to snorkel!!! You can see all kinds of fish and sea turtles!! They have very hard working bar staff - if you get the chance, visit Diego at pool #1 - he's the best!

The weather was absolutely perfect this time of year, so that certainly made the trip!

Room Tip: The rooms on the "newer" side to the left of the resort (when facing the front entrance...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jackie D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Polish first
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I just stayed here (early April, late March), we are in our late 20s. I have very mixed feelings about the hotel and I can say that I am NOT high maintenance and think my following review is truthful and fair.

The facilities here were great, the lazy river, the beach, the spa, the pool, the snorkeling was probably the best I have ever done. If you do anything go on the snorkeling tour with the hotel, plus a few of the staff members for the tour are pretty easy to look at. Extra bonus, sea turtles, sting rays and holding a star fish. WORTH IT, DO IT.

We basically did everything on this trip. We went to the BBQ on the beach, which was fun and the food wasn't terrible at all. Entertainment was good, dancers are fun to watch. Go to XPlor and XelHa/Tulum, if you do nothing else. The other tours were great too, I loved Chichen Itza an Xcaret, but those first two were very memorable.

On to the negative portion of this review...

Our room wasn't as clean as I would have expected. Our shower had gunk on the floor that looked like old gum that was never cleaned up. The staff was great until there was a problem, then they were terrible.

The internet was awful, which I had to pay an additional $40 for. The power went out and I was unable to use it for a day and they wouldn't give me an extra day for a missed day on my 7 day paid internet, plus I could only use the internet in the lobby. It was a total joke. Oh and the freaking power went out during dinner time, so we sat in the dining area in the pitch black for about 5-10 minutes. They clearly do not have a generator... which was alarming.

Our beach towel was taken from our room by the maid service and they tried to charge us $20, mind you, this was not a nice towel. After much difficulty one person managed to help us, but not without a 45 minute fight with the front desk.... all over this little crappy blue towel.

The food was horrendous. Everything came from frozen packaging, most of which was still frozen by the time it was served to us. There was several instances that I bit into an ice cold frozen avocado in the guacamole. Even being able to speak Spanish the staff still did not comprehend the "please don't put meat in my beans" concept. I said it in English and in Spanish. It was absurd. Plus where the hell was the Mexican food! It seemed they had everything but Mexican food at this resort in Mexico. WEIRD!

Plus side... they have a juice bar with fresh juice which is pretty great....

If you don't speak Spanish, learn a couple words and phrases before coming here.... it seemed that I had to speak Spanish for several people to the staff. Probably a good move no matter where you visit, to learn a few necessary words... but especially here.

Overall, the trip was great. The area is beautiful, the beach is wonderful at the hotel. The drinks are made well, but if you are looking for a 5 star hotel, DO NOT COME HERE. If you do not care about the negative things I mentioned then this place will do just fine.

Room Tip: 1800 block was perfect. Right near the pool and close to the lobby with the "better" food...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brandie R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say????? WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!! Beautiful grounds Beautiful hotel and superb staff! Rooms are of a really good size with HUGE beds and all the trimmings you'd expect from a platinum property. The food is really nice not your regular plain old buffet either. Staff are really helpful and friendly. The beach is gorgeous beautiful coves and coral in the bays. Dreamliner flight was amazing!!!! So worth booking with Thomsons just for the flight! Even being seriously picky I can't honestly fault it. We stayed at another property last year in the same area but with Thomas Cook and what a difference in every aspect of the holiday it was the Blubay grand esmerelda (avoid!) I feel some people expect to treat staff like slaves and peasants which is terrible! You treat people as you would like to be treated in return and your in for one Hell of a treat here we found the staff to be more like great friends. I really can't pick a hole in anything here so am more than confident to recommend this hotel!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank holidaylover1711
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend our in our early 20s and we stayed here march. The main thing I have to point out is to ignore any awful reviews you read these people are obviously too high maintenance, it's great value for money.

The hotel complex is massive but I didn't mind this, the hotel was basically built in a jungle so yor surrounded by lovely greenery iguanas and the odd raccoon of a night, this isn't a problem though they leave you well alone.

Beach is fab! You might want to take some water shoes as has some corol in the sea, and also take a snorkel of your like me and love that type of thing.

The food is lovely, plenty of restaurants and a big buffet hall. My favourites where Brazilian, And Italian. The one thing I would say was I was a little disappointed with the Mexican al a carte. I love to eat Mexican food in the UK and it just wasn't what I expected. But other than that can't complain about the food.

Drinks are fab. Some lovely cocktails. I would however recommend buying something called a 'bubba mug' or something or that sort for your drinks around the pool. Asda have them or the internet.

Pools are fab. Entertainment team where faultless. As where the evening shows. An A for effort guys.

Went to the spa for the day for the couples hydrotherapy and massage. If you have the chance then GO it was fabulous.

Trips. We went to coco bongos gold member, well worth it! What a fab night!!!
Also went on the Captain Hook excursion on Cancun bit of a drive but again, brilliant night! Well worth it,
We also went to swim with the dolphins and to xel ha!! What an experience.

Overall an amazing holiday we have came back wanting to book Mexico for next year! The staff are fabulous then the food is good. Hotel is spotless at all times

Thanks to everyone at the Mayan beach our making our stay so amazing x

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Alexandraphilip
Delta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed as a family of 4 adults- 2 rooms from Mar. 24- Apr 1, 2014. We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend this resort. The staff and the the resort itself is amazing- the beach unbelievable! Great snorkeling and lots of white sand for people to enjoy. Bar service is a little slow out there, but no big deal as there was a beach bar not far.
The pool was great- swim up bar fantastic and the bartenders were always very quick to serve you and happy to do so.
The resort is big and gorgeous- lots of walking but very enjoyable,
The buffets were alright, no complaints- had something to please everyone.
The a la carte restaurants were great but you had to book well in advance.
The only real negative was that although the rooms (suites) are large and spacious- the beds are rock hard and uncomfortable. The beds and the bedding really need to be updated so they are comfortable and cozy.
We found the staff to be very pleasant, helpful and extremely hard working.
In particular, there is a bartender by the name of Samuel who works at the Mezcal hotel lobby bar and I have to say his service was incredible and he treated our whole family like royalty. What an amazing young man- if you get a chance go visit him!
We would definitely go back to this resort!
Laura and family

Room Tip: Building 24 is where we stayed- quite far from everything so lots of walking but very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank LAURA Y
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is such a beautiful resort and i had an amazing time. The swimming/snorkeling is amazing! There are tons of fish and some turtles. The entertainment was the best overall, the pre shows and actual shows were funny and great. I feel there are a lot of activities for adults and kids but not many activities for teens. As a teen you are either too old for certain activities or too young for certain activities.I wish they would create teen activities. I do advise that if you are going to the shows to make sure they are appropriate. Some shows were NOT for little children. Other than that the shows were entertaining and the entertainment team was very friendly. Everyone at the resort is very friendly. Lots of walking at the resort and the food wasn't as good as i thought. I definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Liala8675309
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

During our most recent trip to Sirenis in Mexico from 26 March to 03 April 14 we had what can best be described as one of best vacation experiences of our lives. The staff were at their best from check-in to check out and everywhere in between. From Karen who ensured we were never without a cold drink to the restaurant staff and chefs who did their level best to ensure we left heavier than we arrived to Oscar of the concierge staff who helped coordinate and resolve our requests. No resort is perfect and efforts to improve the wi-fi coverage should continue and efforts to improve the size and number of the washrooms located near the beach. As a final point I want to point out that the Spa is one of the best I’ve ever experienced and should not be missed and if you love diving the dive shop right on the beach and the 12 dive sites within a 10 min boat ride allow you dive up to 3 times daily without wasting anytime on a bus just getting to the dive shop.

Room Tip: Upgrade to building 19 rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple