“Fabulour resort - ignore the negative comments!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Akumal
Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
You added Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Wiltshire
“Fabulour resort - ignore the negative comments!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

In total honesty, most reviews have covered every aspect of this hotel but I would like to sum up a few key points which I think make this hotel spectacular and mention the few niggly negatives. We stayed in the Mayan side block. If you can ask for a room higher up, it will be quieter, as the hotel is laid out in such a way that even buggies can drive on the ground floors between blocks and as it is built of stone, it gets quite echo-ey.

The pluses:

- the rooms are very spacious as are the bathrooms.
- we had a room with a glass partition between the bathroom and bedroom which worked great
- water and soft drinks/beer replenished daily (and we are talking about a 5 litre bottle of water here.....)
- wonderful beach area which looks a lot smaller on the photographs but it is quite spread out.
- super snorkelling off the beach including resident turtles - you just need to know where to look for them but we went out "turtle-spotting" everyday and saw 2-3 turtles each time (the beach furthest away from the bbq area - just beyond where the boats are moored in the evenings).
- lovely Mayan ruin on a promontory on the beach.
- great service (bar one or two boys at the pedalo rental place who insisted on receiving tips, saying that tips are his friend! cheeky and totally not in keeping with the staff of the rest of the hotel, but it transpired that this is an external concessionary within the hotel).
- stunning and huge gardens, with lots of wildlife but nothing threatening etc.
- no mosquitoes! (maybe we were just lucky)
- fantastic lazy river (The only one in the hotels in the area, I believe)
- management willing to listen to customers (they have stand alone computers dotted around the lobby for you to write your comments).

Now to some of the negatives but dont let this put you off, it is to give a balanced view:
- lack of Mexican feel around the place (no hammocks etc)
- wrong maps handed out at the reception desk (apparently old and therefore, the timings are different) - check and ask if this is the latest version (kids club had totally rearranged its hours which had a negative impact one day on our plans)
- It does not say this anywhere but airgun shooting is only from 16 - my 11 year old boy was quite upset by this;
- I sent an email beforehand to the hotel (I believe it was to the HQ address but to the Mexican hotel) and never received any acknowledgement - poor PR
- do not count on sleeping on the sofa in the bedroom (for children for example) as it is next to useless as a bed; ask for a rollaway bed.
- pillows are thin and hard, if you have preferences, bring your own
- concierge people vary from fantastic (Teresa, Simon) to downright bored and awful (Adrian).
- Jacuzzi in the bathroom takes forever to fill up and awkward to find the hot water spot;
- boats are moored right by the beach at around 1600 where the best snorkelling is making the swimming area even smaller and polluting the beach with engine fumes!.
- food is OK (the best spread is at breakfast) and then lunch and dinner get very boring, limited and samey. The speciality restaurants are not much better. We tried 5 of them and did not enjoy any of the meals there. Some dishes are also very salty.
- lack of specific information re some shows such as no one knew what time the Mariachis would be playing and where (They play during the Mexican evening)

Overall a great resort, we had a wonderful time and found it very relaxing. There is a lot of walking to do but it means that you do not feel on top of each other.

Mexico is a great country and the people are fantastic! Go and enjoy!!

Room Tip: We had a great room in block 27. Great accessability.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank WiltshireTraveller66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Polish first
Kensington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Absolutely amazing week at Grand Sirenis!!!! We were in the 22 building and had no issues with it. Our concierge Marcas was amazing!!! The beach was excellent, we never went out and put towels down but always got chairs no matter what time we got there. We didn't spend much time at the pool as we had went for the beach but they were nice. The lazy river was a great addition to the resort, but be prepared to fall in!
All the staff were great, and work very hard!!!! We never had to wait for drinks at meal time or at any of the bars. The captain at the Italian restaurant went out of his way to help me as I am gluten free and he had them make me some gluten free bread. We ate at the Italian, Mexican and Cajun restaurants and the food at all of them was great! The buffet was always good as well for breakfast and supper, lunch was always just something at the snack bar on the beach which was also good.
The entertainment team was amazing!! They are super friendly and go out of their way to help you. They are there all day doing the daytime activities, then all evening doing the nightly shows yet they are always friendly. Jesus was amazing!!!! Great employee!!!
The room was very nice! Beds a bit hard, but definitely not a deal breaker!!
We were through Transat and did their free trip to the jewellery store and this was the only negative experience we had as it was our last day and they gave our seats in the van away saying we could get the next one in 5 minutes. However that did not happen and we wasted an hour sitting on the steps waiting for a ride to Playa del Carmen. And when we got there they said the bus home was full and we would be taking the later one, which would have us waste our entire last beach day so we got fed up and walked to the end of 5th Avenue and took the public transit back. Which was great, cheap and quicker as it just stops on the highway and doesn't go in to all the resorts.
This was my 4th trip down south, first trip to Mexico and was the best vacation I have ever had! I will definitly be going back!!! Everything about this resort was excellent and the staff are soooooo great!!!
Thanks for an amazing vacation!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lindsey C
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

If you go to Sirenis I would recommend having a massage in the beach hut with Carmen she was so good, I felt so relaxed after and all my muscles felt at ease, I had a full body massage and would usually feel uncomfortable having my legs massaged but this was amazing. Thank you. Also thanks to Darius front desk for sorting out our room and checking us in and out, very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cass F
Parry Sound, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I wasn't going to write yet another review, as I think most things have been covered. One thing I had trouble finding information about though was the difference between the Riviera side and the Mayan Beach side, as well as what (if any) benefits there were to the Air Transat "Le Mirage" package, so I thought I would share my observations.
During our bus trip from the airport to the hotel, someone asked our guide what the difference between the two resorts was. He told them that one side is adults only, one side is for families. This is not true! Both sides have families, there were families at all pools, etc. There did not appear to be any areas that were designated as adults-only (topless sunbathing was allowed on the beach though, but not by the pools). On a side note about the shuttle to the hotel - again, we were Air Transat, so don't know if other companies are different, but we bought 4 beer from a vendor as we were getting on our bus - cost over $20. They sold beer & water & maybe pop on the bus for $1 each...
We had specifically requested 3 things as far as our rooms went (we were two couples) - 2 rooms with King Beds, near each other and in buildings 28 or 29. It was my understanding that the Le Mirage rooms were a small selection of some of the "nicer" rooms (well-placed), or were in certain buildings. The entire Mayan Beach side is for the "Distinction" or "Le Mirage" package, so you could be put anywhere. We were put in building 21, first floor. We were given rooms side by side, which was great, but one room had a King Bed, one had 2 Doubles. Without asking what our priorities were with our requests, the girl at check in tried to change our friends to a room with a King bed, but that entailed them moving to a different building. They were ok with the 2 double beds, in order to keep our rooms close together, so she put them back in the room they were originally assigned. We were a bit disappointed not to get our building request, but were told we could check back the next day & see if we could move. Once in our rooms, we decided to just stay-put. These rooms were very close to the pool and not a far walk to the main lobby/buffet and beach. We were never in them for long enough to worry about it too much.
The Le Mirage package included use of the safe for the week, as well as a bottle of Tequila. I can't recall if all rooms got bathrobes, but we did have bathrobes as well. Wifi was not included - well, except for 15 minutes, and I think you had to use it in the main lobby.
If I were to return to this resort, I would be ok with getting rooms in either the Riviera or Mayan Beach side - not enough of a difference to warrant paying more for the Le Mirage side. I think I would actually prefer the Riviera side - we enjoyed that pool a little bit more, and it seemed a little more lush and tropical around the rooms. As it turned out, the Le Mirage package was the only one available when we booked, so we just took what we could get.
One other note - DO NOT forget your towels or your towel cards when you are checking out. It is not enough to say you left them in the room, they WILL make you go back and get them! We waited on our bus back to the airport for 20 minutes for someone who forgot theirs in their room to go and get them and get them back to the front desk at check out, and ended up leaving without them!
Oh - and didn't touch a peso all week, used US and my credit card...
Happy to answer any questions!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sounder32000
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This resort was incredible! Incredible service, great food, great staff and a beautiful landscape. The rooms are a little dated but very clean and the buffet is great. I loved the theme nights at the resort and Samuel is the BEST bartender at the resort (main lobby) by far! Will definitely be coming back :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Courtney N
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The grounds and landscaping are excellent - very lush and beautiful. Lots of birds and critters. Fantastic sheltered beach area with good snorkeling complete with reef, lots of fish and sea turtles are commonly seen at the beach to the far left.

We are average travelers in our 40's with 2 teenagers. My wife and I are early to bed early to rise. -We do not drinking much alcohol, however, we do enjoy a couple of drinks throughout the day and at night after dinner when on holiday south. And I enjoy a few cold beers on those beautiful hot days. I really like this resort - but the on tap beer is disgusting. It has played havoc with my system in the past, and after one sniff of it this year, I would not drink it. Not good having 7 days in the heat and can't have a cold beer. In fact this is completely unacceptable for a guest paying good money for their week in the sun. They have to get a variety of canned or bottled beer to offer guests - preferably some international beer, or at least Mexican brands - my conversations with most all other people travelling at other resorts is that there is a reasonable variety of canned beers i.e. Heineken, Corona, Bud available to guests. There are some bottles in the mini fridge in room - but it is not good beer - 3.5% alcohol and not good. I know others feel the same as we saw Canadians on the beach with their beach coolers and Molson Canadian beer they brought with them. The variety of mixed drinks is good - but boy do they splash the alcohol in and out of that glass fast - again this is not acceptable. We are mature adults looking to enjoy just a few quality drinks during the day, and this has to be rectified - or we will not return here for a 4th visit, which is too bad.

Beds in rooms are not good - very hard - but we could tolerate for a week because by the time your back got sore - we were ready to get up and out anyway.

Food is just fine. Yes - there is a fair bit of walking to get around but this is good for us as we want to be active and get some daily exercise.

Overall, we have always really enjoyed Grand Sirenis but I will not be going back if I can't expect to have a cold beer or two that is reasonable for consumption. Poor management decision when a 3 time guest/ family of 4 not likely to return because of this.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Salmonfly1
Carstairs, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Just returned after a two vacation at the Sirenis (March 9 - 23). Beach and lazy river are awesome. This resort is in desperate state of repair. Lots of mildew and black mold. Room is OK furniture getting old, dirty and tired. AC smelled of mildew and bedding had a mold smell. They seem to be under staffed, but the ones they do have are very hard working and friendly. Seem to sit for quite a while most meals before you are offered coffee etc.Pools were kept clean. Some areas of the resort smell of sewer. Spa was amazing! Nice resort for families.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Joanne S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
The Royal Suites Yucatan by Palladium
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!