“Great Hotel and Spa....Beach not so much...”

Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great Hotel and Spa....Beach not so much...”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed at the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort and Spa last week of April and first of May 2013. Its a good 45 min from the airport, arrived in the middle of the night coming from Edmonton it was nice to arrive in the deserted airport in Cancun and not be bothered by the time share people. The check in was a bit slow only one person there at 3:00am then they have a scam to get your luggage to your room...wont let you take it with you. I had to complain to the front desk 45 minutes once in my room( at 4:00 ish) cause I had medication in my luggage (dumb I know but...).The Hotel is beautiful...but before I go on about that ....Let me tell you one thing I learned, I try really hard to avoid spring breakers or groups of high school grads... thought I did.BUT somewhere in the world in this general time of year it is spring break and this was for the Spanish University "Kids" who graduate...and I thought the Quebec and Ontario kids are crazy... however the place is big enough and if you dont go to the disco which is really far away at the end of the property you dont hear it. But they are crazy, I was young once so as long as I can sleep I can deal with it...The beach really sucked.... rocky,high waves most days of my 2 weeks you could not go in the water... too rough. I have been to Cuba many times I think maybe you have to trade off food or beach. This hotel is really nice in many aspects, awesome coffee shop for am latte, good food.If my memory serves me you sign up for the other restaurants on check in but none really stick out my mind. Im not a foodie so thats where Im coming from, I know others are but I dont really care too much about it, I always find something to eat I thought the food was great here in the buffet.
Nice spa, you get a free morning trying it out, that was cool all the different water baths and saunas. The place where you get a massage outside is so nice there is an energy there thats just awesome,I didn't get a massage only walked around the area when no clients were there , took pictures and thats my screen saver...really cool.The gym was good too actually, but I ran outside in the early am. Until I found around the corner of the front of the hotel there was a Crossfit gym owned by a Canadian guy who worked in Animacion, it was cheap for a week $20 unlimited classes. These classes changed me forever, had never done Crossfit.... I thought I was fit!!! that place kicked my butt, I came home and changed everything about my workouts. It was great. The hotel is clean and comfortable though the structure of the buildings makes echos like slamming doors, drunk spanish kids seem louder at 4 am but...I took earplugs.
The entertainment was really good....though I think its better in Cuba even a crappy hotel has gorgeous talented dancers. There were 3 singers who were so amazing WOW. Shows were good really.The pools were really nice and crowded cause the beach sucks, entertainment was good during the day.The activites move around to the different pools.

Went to a show in Playa Del Carmen its a whole night of lip synching performances COCO BONGO I think , it was cool it was $100.00. Packed in like sardines and never in Canada would you see a night club so unsafe... if there were a fire and you had to get out forget it. But...I didnt die and lived to write this, even(hopefully)saved a Spanish drunk girl on the bus who was so sh--faced her friend left her on the bus. We had to argue with the bus driver to drop her off at the next hotel that was really part of the one she was staying at...and get security to get someone to take her into the lobby. Bus Driver was going to take her back and call the police...just didnt feel okay about that, they are probably sick of that behavior...but we did that cause there were some guys on the bus who creeped us out saying they would look after her...
I wouldnt go back to this hotel because of the beach and am gong to Cuba this year. I might try Mexico again next year but need a better beach.
Went shopping in Playa Del Carmen one day ...take off your wrist band they figure out where you are by that and try to scam you saying they are from the hotel, come see my uncles store etc...I hate that, they really bothered us , my friend who is of spanish decent and was annoyed and could understand the rude things they were saying about us.I know they have to make a living...but still dont have to like it.
I think Ill try Cozumel next time if I go again to Mexico...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank BJ S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Polish first
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed at the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach from Feb 4 to 11, 2014. Rated it very good and not excellent only because I have nothing to compare too. Enjoyed the resort and was a great place to rest and relax and not worry about anything. The dining room food was very good with lots of variety. Best part was getting fish or steak grilled to order while you watched. Different theme nights ie mexican night always presented a chance to try something new and different. Service was usually very good and timely. Went to 3 a la carte restaurants, thumbs up for japanese and Italian, thumbs down for steak house, heard good things about cajun place. Nightly shows were not great, but adequate and entertaining. Property is beautiful and very spread out therefore never felt crowded and is easy to get around, with golf carts everywhere for those not fond of walking. Beach decent for sand, superb for snorkelling. And a shout out for my new frienda, Merary and Ruben, the concierges for building 20 and 21. Merary and Ruben were always very friendly and extremely helpful and made me feel at home. I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Amrik R
Port Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Here are some basic facts that will help you decide if this is the right resort for you. We start with the many GOOD POINTS, and finish with the few CAUTIONS.

GOOD POINTS
It is architecturally quite different from other resorts. Low-rise concrete buildings with kind of a futuristic Jetsons feel to them, and big boxy lobbies instead of the usual thatched roofs and fountains. Lots of original vegetation left in the centre of the resort. We liked it a lot. Easy to get around thanks to numerous electric buggies (they even drive through the buildings!)

We had a standard room and thought it was excellent. Very big, with a balcony. Very nice bathroom with separate jacuzzi and a nice shower. Toilet behind a door. Fridge and coffee maker. Comfortable bed. In-room safe and lots of closet space. No bugs. Good air conditioning.

The coast is mainly rocky, and the sandy beach sits in front of two delightful little coves. By far the best off-the-beach snorkelling we have encountered on the Mayan Riviera (apart from Cozumel). Saw turtles every day about 20m offshore. Plenty of rock and coral areas to explore and very safe swimming.

No sailboats, but kayaks and pedal-boats available.

Good value snorkel trip leaves from the dive center. About 10 minutes to the bay at Akumal. Boat crew take you out to see some really big turtles, as well as other fish, including sting rays and barracuda. Well worth the $40 each. Take your camera! Bring a tip!

Excellent gym facilities. Two cardio rooms and a weight room. The resort is also big enough for morning joggers.

This resort has the best swimming pool for serious swimmers. It is about 120 metres long, in a U-shape. Doesn't have a lot of people in it, because it doesn't have a swim-up bar (the other pools do). I regularly swam multiple lengths here, and it was easy to avoid the few people hanging out on air mattresses etc. This is also a great exercise place for older people who want to walk in waist deep water to increase resistance.

The resort has plenty of other good-sized pools with the usual bars, activities, music, etc. They tend to attract the "tattoo and tequila" crowd.

Very good little coffee shop.

Nice barbecue every day if you want lunch on the beach.

We never had a problem finding beach chairs under a palapa, even though we don't "reserve" a place with a towel before breakfast like some of the more fanatical folks. As long as you don't mind being in the quieter area near the northern part of the beach, you will never have a problem getting a space.

The entertainment staff were excellent, and the quality of singing and dancing in the evening shows was much better than other resorts we have visited. The singers were live, not lip-synching, and some of them were professional standard (as were the dancers). In particular, we recommend you hang out in the lobbies between about 7 and 9 when Anna sings - amazing voice. (When we were there she was in the southern lobby from about 7 to 8 and then moved to the northern lobby from about 8 to 9). By the way - Anna sings fabulous songs to dance slowly to - so get up and get romantic - there is a plenty of space for dancing.

CAUTIONS
It's quite a long way south of the Cancun airport, so expect about 90 minutes on the bus (assuming you have booked your vacation as a package).

We agree with other reviewers that the food here isn't as good as some other (more expensive) resorts we have visited. The buffets are OK (and breakfast is good). The a la carte restaurants (the ones you have to book) tend to serve main courses over-cooked (although I did have a perfectly cooked red snapper fillet in the Italian restaurant). If food is the highlight of your vacation, this isn't the place for you. We thought the Mexican and Italian were the best restaurants.

Finally, beware the vacation club trap! When you book your a la carte restaurant evenings, your concierge will start to make you some interesting offers for reduced-price special events, provided you attend a morning event (usually described as a gourmet breakfast or brunch). Just say no! What they are trying to sell you is some kind of membership in a vacation club. So it isn't a time share, but it amounts to the same thing. You will see various sections of the resort reserved for people who are members of this club.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank old-jogger
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Second vist to this resort as my Father/Brother and Spouses are Members.Fantastic Family resort 45 minutes aprox from Cancun airport.
Go to the main gate of the hotel and get on the tourist bus to Playa-its 3 $ a person , Taxi one way is $28.
We last visted in 2010.
The grounds, pool,service and beach are awesome. The entertainment and staff are excellent. The food/ drinks and rooms are some of the best I have ever seen, ( I travel alot to these type of all inclusive vacations)
The beach is gorgeous and the lazy river and taco bar by the beach are amazing.
There are a few key points I will mention.
*BRING ALOT OF SUN BLOCK. iT IS VERY EXPENSIVE THERE(35$ US FOR MORE IF NEEDED OR IF YOU LOSE YOURS)
*DONT USE THE DIVE SHOP FOR A FISHING TRIP- $800US FOR 6 PEOPLE AND THEY DIDNT SEE A FISH!!
* SWIM WITH THE TURTLES FOR $35 ITS AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE!!
*IF YOU ARE LIMITED MOBILITY CALL AHEAD FROM YOUR ROOM FOR A SHUTTLE TO TAXI YOU AROUND. ( THE RESORT IS HUGE)
*DEFINATELY TRY THE JAPANESE AND BRAZILIAN RESTUARANTS-THEYRE SUPERB
*THE MAYAN SIDE UPOSED TO THE BEACH SIDE IS A BETTER POOL FOR KIDS AND CLOSER TO THE HUB OF EVERYTHING.
* FEED AN IGUANA A BANANNA
*DONT PET THE WILD RACOONS
AND LASTLY--
+++++++My sweet mother in law slipped on the tile floor and broke her wrist the last day--the floors are VERY VERY SLICK-be careful
The security/paramedics and hotel doctor are efficient/proffesional and top notch yet expensive.TRY TO GET MEDICAL INSURANCE IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY WITH A 1800 NUMBER SO THEY DIRECT BILL THE AGENCY( AMA IS MY CHOICE WHETHER YOURE A MEMBER OR NOT)++++++
Have fun- all holidays are too short in my mind.....

Room Tip: The Beach side has no more or less advantages than the Mayan side in my opinion-top floors in buildi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Brook-Glen
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I had a wonderful stay at this resort. Staff were very friendly and the organized activities were great. The food selection was delicious and vast. Drinks were wonderful and plentiful. I spent many hours floating on the lazy river. Going into town was well worth the trip. Good place to shop for souvenirs. Would definitely return to this resort.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kingm14
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed there one week, and just loved it, even though it was not always hundred percent perfect. The territory looks amazing. It is very green. The beach, the pools, the slow river were big and really good. Loved the coffee and the ice cream shops. Went to the spa twice - expensive a bit, but so good!. Food was good in average, sufficient variety, especially in the main buffet. The service was almost always good. Japanese restaurant was the favourite.
Room was very nice - specious with beautiful bathroom and perfect shower. The bed was okay, not the comfiest one though. The view and sound of the sea and greenery through the open balcony door were just priceless.
If you go there prepare, to walk a lot.
'Mayan Beach' and 'Hotel and Spa' share everything - same food, same territory, similar rooms. The general rule is that Beach buildings are closer to the sea, while Hotel ones are mainly in the woods.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank aJenna
pa.
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed here Feb.5th thru Feb 10th 2014.Here is my unbiased rating of each category in this hotel ,even if a little long winded..First off let me say that this was my 10th stay at a Mexican beach resort so I have experience to base this stay on . The Check in was pleasant,we were greeted at the steps and welcomed every step of the way and made it to our room pretty quickly which was nice after flying, aquiring a rental car and driving over an hour to get to the resort. The room was actually very nice and nice sized also,I would rate this room in the top 1/3 of the rooms we have stayed in while visiting mexico,Great shower,very clean room,refrigerator,stocked daily,a 3 liter bottle of purified drinking water daily,etc., a decent balcony to sit out on,all in all a very comfortable room,the A/C was a little inconsistent but kept the room fairly cool to sometimes nicely cool. The pools...,we never really use the pools in mexico because we don't travel there to use pools ,we go for the beach and beautiful blue Caribbean,however, the pools looked beautiful and clean and the resort has a Very nice lazy river flowing around the pool area.The food...We thought the buffets food was pretty good, ..good enough that we didn't eat in any of the ala carte restaurants and the pool and beach snack bar food was decent to snack on also,They had a juice bar where you could get very tasty and healthful freshly juiced vegetables and fruits,...this was also a very nice touch, something we hadn't encountered in our other stays.The beach was okay ,not great,but not bad either,probably slightly below average for what we are used to ,because we like long wide white sandy beaches, with some waves,this one was more compact and looked more man made,..but still not bad,The ocean was decent here also with some decent snorkeling right off the beach,alot of little trash and junk seemed to be floating near the beach and probably should be cleaned up,yes some people are pigs unfortunately and don't have any qualms about trashing even beautiful blue water,..very sad..We did not watch much of the entertainment,but what we saw looked below par.....The service was By FAR the best part of this hotel, kudos to everyone there, they were above and beyond helpful, from the desk personnel, to the maintenance men to the waiters,to the beach service girls to the maids,and servers; everyone was fabulous here and certainly that would be a factor in maybe staying here again.,very friendly,lots of smiles and willingness to do whatever they could to improve your stay..All in all I would rate this hotel between a 3.5 and a 4 star.My wife and I like to keep trying different hotels ,but this is one we agreed that we wouldn't rule out staying at again if the price was right.This resort is about a half hour drive from Playa Del Carmen for some nice night walking and entertainment.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple