“Family vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Akumal
Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
canada
“Family vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Summary: Loved the food the snorkeling and kids loved the pools. Room with the hole in wall is just crazy (I couldn't even change)- so ask for a room without the hole if you have kids with you.
Air transat was great - just the Hotel Transat Rep "Cindy" was unpleasant and we felt that we bothered her with our questions. Transfer was without problems and not need to worry about the 90 km from the airport - straight highway, lots of traffic.
Resort is modern - so not much Mexican about it, but the greenery and iguanas made up for this.
Bring: Bug spray (some nights we needed it more then others), swim shoes (you will feel more comfortable in first days if you have them), snorkeling equipment - a must to see what's under the water.
Weather 2 days out of 7 it rained 4 times a day for 15 mintues or so, so we were not bothered by it at all - it's tropics - so you have to expect some rain.

We are family of 4 with kids aged 7 and 11. The transfer between the airport and resort is great, straight highway - bit slower then we are used to as each vehicle has to slow down or completely stop at the police check station- so it took about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Resort is quite big, but the walking areas are nice and you can enjoy the tropical greenary and lots of iguanas and other typical animals from geckos to Agouti.

Beach is fantastic for snorkelers beginners to advanced. I had the pleasure of just behind the rope to swim with the turtle and we have seen rays, squids, tropical fish (yellow, purple), corals and also a huge barracuda at least 1.5m long (we ventured bit farther then rope of course ). For kids the snorkeling is great straight from the beach as the colorful fishes are close to rocks.
I took the swim shoes - needed them for 3 days and after we knew where to step.
Water was calm, clean great for swimming, but once you look under you cannot just swim you have to see whats under - it's awsome. The water was bit cooler then I was expecting compared to Cuba or Florida, but great for swimming.

Pools - great, big and clean, the water was nice and warm by the end of the day. Activity pool always had something going on for everybody.

Food- Fantastic, every piece I tried was very tasty and I considers myself picky and great cook.
You have restaurant at the two main pools for breakfast and lunch + the main buffet at the main building + Restaurant at beach (tacos are great+ BBQ at beach, coffe house with desert , ice cream bar - awesome so whereeveryou turn you have food, choices and the drinks of course whatever you want. ( I tried all the girly drinks from cosmopolitan to my favourite mojito).Kids could serve themselves soft drinks from the machine - they were sooo happy about it.

A la carte- book when you are booking the hotel as everythign was full and I couldn't get the Japanase restaurant so we decided we didn't want to try any of them - as the restaurant food had so many choices and even theme nights.

Entertainment - My kids were so tired after all day activities that I was able to see only two shows and they were entertaining - I have seen better but overall great experience.
They offer market two days per week, but there are couple of shops in the lobby with OK prices.

Room - Clean, maid was interesting, but if I didn't like soemthign she would come and bring what we needed. The biggest stupid thing is the hole in wall - I couldn't even change!
So if you are going with the family ask for the room without the hole in the wall.
The fridge was always stacked with pops and 3L water bottle.

We flew with Transat - great service other thent the Transat Representative at the Hotel - she was very annoyed with our basic questions as we did not attend the "Transat meeting" , so I guess its better to attend it or deal with the unpleasant Rep " Cindy" - why is she in customer service is beyond me.

We loved it and I would return and recommend it for the snorkeling and food especially.
The resort was full, but we always found beach chairs or I woke up early to get my spot at the beach.
The service is great, lot sof people so you have to wait a bit here and there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank doublemommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Polish first
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Holiday started off badly with a 4 hour delay at Manchester and ended awfully with a 30 hour delay in Cancun.
First impressions of hotel were good checked in quickly and taken to our room, luggage arrived soon after. We decieded to use room service which is included in the AI but food was not great so didn't use it again. Room was good nice jacuzi bath and walk in shower big bed and plenty of wardrobe space.We paid extra £250 for an ocean view room but with a tiny balcony and enough ocean view to cover a small water biscuit we were not impressed.
Food was generaly good but the buffet restaurant was a bit like a works canteen and it was sometimes difficult to get a table. We found in the last few days that the steak house serves breakfast and it was som much nicer than the buffet. We tried a couple of the othe a la carte restaurants but the aircon wasn't very good and they were too hot.
Pools were ok as long as you dont mind being splashed continually even at the swim up bar though 3 members of staff deserve special mention as they were excellant Diego and Aurelio at the bar and Graciola who bought drinks to your pool side bed.
Evening entertainment was ok obviously expensive sets but still only average. In the evening you can either watch the average entertainment or try and find a seat in the lobby area 1000 guests and seating for about 100 plus only 2 or 3 bar tenders, they had to throw drinks together so fast sometimes the alcohol didn't even reach the glass, a few nights when we wanted a quiet drink we had to retire to our room.
A few suprises the £50 per person departure tax only found out on the flight out, charging for the room safeand for wifi which didn't work most of the time, we also had to make a call from the room back to the UK £16 for 1 minute. Trips seemed expensive and we got fed up with having coco bongo down our throats .
As you can probably guess we wont be heading back to the Grand Sirennis or Mexico .

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for an ocean view room
4 Thank raptureman23
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived here on 25 June for 2 weeks. After a much longer transfer than we were told we arrived at the hotel. Upon arrival we were told that our room would not be ready for another 30-45 minutes (despite it been nearly 6pm). Once at our room, it was plenty big enough and very clean. However, the beds are rock solid. We would often wake up with dead shoulders and hips, and feeling bruised. We spoke to our concierge who gave us a tiny mattress topper which unfortunately made no difference. Our mini bar was filled regularly, however if you had a tiny amount of water left they wouldn't leave a new one until the other was empty so we ended up having to hide the water in order to get a new one! Jacuzzi bath was amazing and a lovely touch to the room. The shower also had two shower heads within it, including jets which was also very good.

The food in the main buffet is lovely for breakfast but not so good on an evening - the quality is a bit hit and miss. Snack bars for lunch and the beach BBQ are very nice!
The al a cartes are fabulous! The steak house being our favourite! Males do have to wear long trousers however they are all well air conditioned.

We ordered room service a couple of nights to avoid the main buffet food. Room service food is very nice and still boiling hot when it arrives.

The staff are faultless! So friendly and willing to help! We spent most days on the beach which is lovely and the staff work extremely hard brining you drinks all day.

We had one day without any sun so decided to visit the spa. We were offered a package for the waterworks and a massage each for a really good price! We got 2 hours in the water works which included steam rooms, saunas, jacuzzis etc etc which was plenty of time. The massage was also very good and well worth it!

The wildlife at this hotel is amazing! Iguanas everywhere and in every size possible! Racoons are also everywhere too and are definitely not scared of humans and will eat any food they can find.

We did the dolphin excursion which was fairly pricey but worth every penny! The photos/video was very expensive. $180 for all photos and a video.
We also jumped on the local bus to Playa Del Carmen which was lovely and very cheap! (about £2.50) for a 30 minute journey.

Overall we had a lovely stay and the hotel was fantastic, there were just little things which make it not a five star in our opinion (i.e. 300 pesos per week for a safe and 560 pesos for internet for two weeks which doesn't work)

Room Tip: We stayed in Chucum which was a perfect distance from everything and not too close to be noisy on an...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WilkinsonLJ
North East England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Japanese, was brilliant, Mexican fab if you like doritos , nachos etc, Steak house phenomenal, Cajun dont go for the duck!!!! but the chicken was lovely, Brazillian, dont eat a huge starter because themain meal is to die for........ Italian was fantastic. If you are ever disappointed with any of these meals the main restaurant will always more than suffice. Breakfast, lunch or evening meal you will never be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank reidbend
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Visited this resort first 2 weeks of June with my family (me-19, my mum-45, step dad-41, brother-10, and sister-16) and I have to say, I loved it.
All the bad reviews on here, seriously, ignore them. If you are going on holiday to pick out every tiny problem, then of course you aren't going to have a good time, but if you're going away to relax and have fun then you will have a brilliant time.
I'll start with the food;
The buffet restaurant was great. We only went here for breakfast and dinner (it was open for lunch, but we never went then). There was a massive variety, and as long as you didn't go the first morning/evening and have absolutely everything that was there, then there was always something new for you to try. I got myself into a little bit of a habit by having near enough the same thing for breakfast every day, but for dinner I always tried to have something different every time! They do all kinds of food every day, but there are a few theme nights, the 2 we went to were mexican and italian, both of which were lovely.

There was a snack bar by one of the main activity pools, which we went to every day for lunch as it was so handy, and it was also very nice. This turned into the Cajun restaurant in the evening, which we went to once, and it was fantastic. The service here was great, and the food was very good.

We went to most of the A La Carte restaurants (the only ones we didn't go to were the Mexican and the Brazilian as we didn't have time)
My favourite A La Carte was the steakhouse, it was amazing. We went here twice (because we upgraded to VIP we were able to go as many times as we wanted). I had the chicken both times and it was fantastic!
The Japanese was also excellent. It was a show cooking experience, and the chef really went out of their way to make you feel welcome and included. The food was amazing and we also went there a second time!
You had to pay for the French restaurant, but as we had upgraded to VIP, we got that included. However, personally, I didn't think it was too great. However, this is not to say that the food was not good, it just wasn't to my taste. Also, for me, the atmosphere was a little dry, because there wasn't very many people there. But the staff at this restaurant were very accommodating.

The rooms were exceptional. We were in the Chucum building, and on the second floor, and we didn't experience any rodents or anything in our room, and everything worked as it should. I read complaints before arriving that the mini fridges were not restocked for the whole trip, however, ours was restocked every day. The maid was very nice, and left little towel animals on the bed every day, which was very cute. Also, I had to praise her, as she had the job of cleaning my younger sister's mess in the bathroom every day.

One thing I do have to complain about, which we did say to the staff at reception before our departure, and again on the questionnaire on the plane home, is the WiFi. It was not included, and you had to pay $54 (dollars) for the 2 weeks, which I thought was quite steep. However, this was not the problem. The problem was that it didn't work. It was supposed to work anywhere in the hotel grounds, however this was not the case. I found that it only worked in the lobby, and even then it was quite slow. It worked on some occasions in the room, however that was only every 2/3 days. Once we had upgraded to VIP you got access to the WiFi in the VIP lounge, which worked very well, however, it was only in the lounge, so once you left, you had to use the hotel WiFi again. However, when we mentioned this to the reception staff, they were very apologetic about it and said that they knew that they needed to improve it, so I can't fault them for that!

The entertainment during the day was great. The entertainment team worked so so hard to try and get everyone involved in all the activities, and they were so friendly. Make sure to speak to Jhonny and Christian while you're there, they are so nice and so funny! There are also another 2 entertainers that were fantastic, but sadly, I can't remember their names (oops).
The shows at night time are performed by the entertainment team, apart from the mexican night when they got professional people in, which was great. We missed the grease show on the monday night as we were at Xcaret, which we were thouroughly disappointed by as we were really looking forward to it! The lion king show, we were also looking forward to, however it wasn't as good as we expected it to be.We really enjoyed the cabaret show, and the rest of the shows were okay. However, you can't criticise the effort the entertainment team put into the shows, as they are more for you to have fun watching them rather than be dazzled by how amazing they are.
The only thing I would say about the entertainment team, is that they don't really bother with people who are under 18. For example, my sister didn't have a wristband, and they didn't really speak to her. I think they were more interested in getting people to go to the disco with them after the show, but I suppose that's kind of their job. Along with that complaint, I have to bring up the amount of children that had wristbands. We didn't give my sister of 16 a wristband, as we thought that the reception staff would see that she was underage, however, as it turns out, they didn't really care, as there were children (particularly girls) walking around with wristbands, when they looked about 13. On one occasion, one of the entertainment team told a girl to take her wristband as they knew that she was only 15. But if the parents don't mind their child having a wristband, then I don't see why it should be a problem, we just wish we had realised this before checking in my sister.

I didn't go to the disco while I was there, which I regret a little as I wish I had gone to see what it was like, but it seemed very popular, as there were lots of people going every night.

Overall, my family and I had a brilliant time, and we have already planned to go back next year. As with any hotel, you will always find little things that you have to complain about, but the great things about this resort really weigh out the bad things, and if you are reading these reviews before booking your trip to this resort, then I highly suggest booking it, because you will have a fantastic time!

Room Tip: Had no problems in Chucum unit, and it was quite close to main pool and lobby. Second floor, there a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 101JessicaB
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I will be brief as you can see a mixture of our experience in every other reveiw

OVERALL EXPERIENCE - Dream wedding on the beach, refused to let any niggles ruin a dream honeymoon too, there is so much positive here and spectacular, however now we have been back 2 weeks, we want to share everything...

RESORT/FOOD/PUBLIC AREA's - OUTSTANDING and mind blowing, so many places to eat, sit, sunbathe, clean, tidy, fun, pretty, rugged, they have everything covered for all tastes...

If you take rose coloured spec's off;

BEDROOMS - 3* at best, tatty old curtains, bath robes washed out too many times (yuk), bedding like an elderly auntie's house (seriously drab and old with stains), marked/scuffed walls, rusty table and chairs on balcony, power shower was OK but the jets for a tropical shower just trickled, seat cushions on bedroom chairs/furniture are squashed (obviously old and been sat on/slept on too many times. Nice mini bar and coffee machine, room was alwyas cleaned well.

FIRST CHOICE WEDDINGS TEAM - left us stranded to pay for blood tests in resort that we had been told we had paid for ($220 USD), then decided we had actually paid it and refunded after 2 stressful days, not one phone call in 12 months from booking to flying from the non existent weddings team, a total joke. Paperwork sent to us by weddings team on photocopied paper where the ink had almost run out, shoddy when we were paying £1,500+ just to marry on top of a £k+ hoilday. Whenever we rang the First Choice weddings team we were generally misinformed, they left us almost unmarried in resort as they refused to send a receipt for our wedding to the hotel in Mexico, 4 months prior to travelling, telling us the hotel do not need this paperwork, then in resort they said we cannot marry without the receipt and showed us an email they sent the First Choice wedding team. BEWARE IF YOU MARRY THROUGH FIRST CHOICE.

THOMSON PREMIUM FLIGHT - worth every penny, roomy, pampered, well fed...

Room Tip: go for a high floor, SEA VIEW WAS BEST £180 we ever spent
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Burnaby, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

First of all let me say that the personnel at the hotel where very good to excellent. As far as my rating goes it depends on which part of the complex your put in. While some buildings and rooms are 4 star or better others wouldn't make two! We were in a complex called Akam and for the most part it was very good except for being next to a stairwell which made it a bit noisy so we asked our concierge to move. We moved to a complex called Ikibana and upon entering we knew we had made a mistake. First of all the unit smelled of stale cigarette smoke. We later found out that as this hotel caters to a lot of Spaniards and Europeans who all smoke that there are no-non smoking rooms. The only place in the unit that you can't smoke is in bed! Secondly when I went to open the balcony doors to air the place out I notice that the outdoor light was hanging from its electrical wires! and finally the bed was old and uncomfortable. We immediately asked t move out of the unit and into another one but were told that nothing was available for that night. The next morning we went to the front desk to ask for a room change. After a while we were told that we could and did so back to our original building but a different room. What bugs me is that the concierges know that some areas are better than others and that they didn't inform us. Once the move was made the rest of our stay was good.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the Ikibana complex. Akam was good. Top floors looking east are the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple