“Interesting Holiday”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Interesting Holiday”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

A great holiday just spoiled slightly by getting caught in Tropical Strom Erick and having to endure 2 1/2 days of torrential rain. It didn't ruin our holiday but lessened our suntans. Large complex with plenty to do for all ages. The pools are spotless and there was plenty of entertainment during the day, but if you don't want entertained head for quiet pool. However, I have a real concern about guests being allowed to smoke at the side of the pools and even in the pools as the move toward the swim up bar. This is definitely not safe or healthy.
Rooms are excellent, very big with brilliant beds. Bathrooms are also big with full body showers and jacuzzi baths. They were cleaned daily and like the rest of the complex cleanliness seemed to be of paramount importance. Another small complaint was that on the two occasions we called room service they took well over three hours to respond to our concerns and complaints.
The food was excellent even in the standard buffet rooms but even better in the gourmet restaurants, though my second complaint is why you are restricted to three bookings a week as most times the restaurants were not full. Luckily we managed to get in to a different one every night just by charming our concierge and the restaurant captains. My third complaint is the outdated rule of men having to wear long trousers to the gourmet restaurants. This is a seriously outdated rule, I agree no gym or football shorts or tops but dress shorts are more than satisfactory. All that this rules results in is many men, who are not aware of this rule, wearing the jeans or tracksuits that they flew out in, which are in most cases are a lot less smarter than dress shorts.
The entertainment in the evening was mixed and seemed to meet most people's tastes though if you want a quite drink the two lobby bars are ideal. Though, big complaint - no port!!
The staff throughout the complex were hard-working, polite and worked really hard to make your holiday perfect and deserve praise for that. A good choice of complex for all ages and worth considering when making your holiday accommodation selection.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Favouriteword

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Polish first
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went in June which is supposed to be the rainy season but only had 2 overcast days and the rest were HOT HOT HOT. The hotel is beautiful, huge, well presented and immaculate. There were loads of staff all very friendly and obliging. we stayed at the mayan beach side but didnt have a pool view and tbh wouldnt pay the extra as we were only in the room at night to get changed before going out and by that time we were glad of the air con and didn't sit out. Occasionally we went out on the balcony to look at the wildlife which was in abundance.
We went with 2 kids aged 13 and 17 and they both loved it. There were loads of pool activities for them to get involved in and the reps at the pool were fantastic in particular Beto and Jesus. They were a gre

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GlasgowMiko
Trenton, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The resort itself was very big and there is a lot of walking so I would not recommend this hotel for those with mobility disabilities.
The food in the buffet is not the best.. I filled up on breakfast best meal of the day. The specialty restaurants on the resort are better for sure. The pool was great and the bar staff made days by the pool fun. I have to say that the rooms were spotless as was the rest of the resort. The nightly entertainment was also very good but the theater fills quickly so go early. A couple nights a week the vendors come to the resort if you want to buy gifts. I did not attend the disco but many in my group did and had a blast. I would recommend taking a trip into Playa its a great spot with restaurants and many neat little shops. The boys in are group went on the fishing excursion and loved it. The boat crew took what was caught and cooked it several different ways for the boys. There is always something to do on the resort. You will not be bored that's for sure. The beach was very nice however there are some bits of coral and rock bring water shoes if you plan on going out far. Over all we had a great time with friends. I would likely not go back to this resort because of its size i found it to big and because of the food.
PS we traveled to this resort the end of March 2010 so things could be much different now

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 6820lmb
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We went with my entire family, age 70 to 15, 10 of us. The rooms were spacious, but out if 5, 4 had a rotten fruit smell that got worse daily. The food was edible. You have to be very selective and visit the grill a lot. Stay away from the Italian restaurant. We were few of a handful of Americans there. Europeans seem to be okay with really bland, bad food. You can find decent things to eat but it takes a few turns. The waitstaff was very hard working and friendly, so was the bar staff. It's all inclusive but tipping the very hard working people is extremely important and they appreciate it shows. The water sports equipment was lacking. The new spa is very expensive but really quite awesome. Topless option sunbathing beach very nice and relaxing. MEN MUST WEAR LONG PANTS IN ALL ALA CART RESTAURANTS!!!!! My family members had to run to town to get some so we wouldn't be stuck at the bad buffet. The beach is nice. The limestone shelf and coral can be hard on the feet do water shoes are helpful. It's a really big set up with lots of tourists. There is plenty to do. Decent digs for the money but not top shelf. Mexico typical, but not a place I'd probably go back to unless I was certain there was nothing better for the same price. The people and staff were lovely and that counts a lot. Shout out to Beto the pool activities director and Isuey the best concierge. They are awesome!

• Stayed July 2013
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Beware-this is a detailed review!

Flight:
We paid the extra £170 per person to go Premium Club with Thomson and it was worth every penny. Both myself and my husband are nervous flyers so from faster check in to extra space on the plane this made all the difference and we would now take this option every time!

Transfer:
We went for a coach transfer for the first time this year and it will definitely be our last. Our coach was air conditioned and not in bad condition. We stopped at 4 other hotels on the way and the second to last transfer nearly 3hours later!!!

Hotel:
We arrived at our hotel where we had yet another 30 minute wait-the staff were extremely slow and for a '5 star' hotel there were no hot towels or friendly welcomes and in replacement we were checked in and told where our room was on what appeared to be a very large map!
When I looked to book our hotel we prefer to go for smaller hotels so I look at the room numbers. This place seemed much bigger than I thought and then I realised in the holiday brochures it only quotes the rooms at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya and not its sister hotel (on the same complex) that has the same number of rooms again! It is not made clear AT ALL by the tour operators how these hotels are set up. We booked all inclusive at the resort expecting to have paid the price for the best package we could buy. In fact there is a Premium club that the hotel try to sell you during your stay, there are day beds roped off on the beach, as well as separate rooms and a restaurant in the main complex that are solely for their use. You get asked if you want to go to a breakfast to look at 'the other side' and if you do you get a discounted spa treatment etc. we declined a handful of times.

Rooms:
Our standard junior suite (2421) was much large than we had expected. The bed was huge, however don't be fooled-it was extremely hard and I dont know when the sheet were last dry cleaned - you needed a free bar to be able to get any sleep, I used my flight pillow to get me through the 2weeks! Our jet bath so nice to jump into after a day in the hot sun. We did have a hole in the wall between the bedroom and bathroom, however there is frosted glass for the toilet and shower. We didn't mind this, however some couples/families may have a issue. The only alcohol the minibar stocks is beer and there are no snacks in the room. You can order drinks on room service but there is a charge and some food is free of charge but we did this one night expecting the same as the restaurant food but it was awful. The rooms are cleaned every day and towels replaced.

Concierge:
Each set of building has 2 dedicated concierge staff every day that book you into your al a carte restaurants and offer any other services. They are very helpful and ours actually bought me some cream for my heat rash out of his own money before he started work the following day-I had to force him to take the money back and a tip! My husband booked the lobster dinner evening as a surprise for our wedding anniversary. The meal was lovely-I've never seen so much lobster and the service was perfect! When we got back to our room my husband was disappointed, apparently in the package we were supposed to have candles, rose petals, a bubble bath etc.and breakfast in bed in the morning but we had nothing. In the morning my frustrated husband went to the concierge to find out what had happened and apparently the trainee concierge made a mistake and only booked the meal. We had it rearranged for another night. When it did happening was lovely and such a great option to book, however once again in the morning they brought us a Mexican breakfast with black coffee instead of the Continental with white tea and coffee, Tacos are the last thing we wanted to see at 8am.

Pool & Beach:
We used all the pools and beach. Our favourites were the quiet pool and the party pools with swim up bar. The sport staff are so good and work ridiculous hours to entertain you on a consistent basis. Not usually partaking in group activities we particularly enjoyed the Tequila volleyball and pre-evening shows!
Take your snorkelling kit! We took one set and bought another whilst there, the beach sports team only have 3 sets for over 3000 guests. We stayed to the left hand side as it was quieter and the sand softer. No need to pay for the turtle swim-they feed off the sea bed just off the beach and you see plenty-this was amazing and we couldn't believe the tropical fish right on your doorstep!

Spa:
We were sold a spa deal by the pool, we went for a couples massage on the beach with 2hrs in the spa for just over £100 for 2, definitely worth it! The spa is not to be missed!

Restaurants:
Mediterranean- avoid. Rude staff who try to clear you out of the restaurant as fast as possible. I had the moussaka which was slices of aubergine and tomato with bread crumbs urgh.
Cajun-lovely. With prawn starters and lovely main choices this was one of our favourites.
Mexican-lovely. The spice is always an option on the side so you don't have to worry about not food. And the staff were very friendly
Japanese-ok. The menu was good and you get some great entertainment from the chef, however the waiter got all of our starters mixed up (table of 10) and the main meals were quite bland.
Steakhouse-ok. The menu was good again and my steak was massive but extremely tough and overlooked.
Buffet-Good. The themed buffets were great and something for everyone, can't complain there. You have a card on your table in the evening telling you the caribe for a bottle of wine-this is a hotel trick for extra cash!!! It's free-just order by the glass! Again the waiters are very good and work so hard -6 days a week.

Overall given the size of the complex we were pleasantly surprised we had a nice holiday. We wouldn't return to the same hotel again, however highly recommend it to young families or large groups.
One other word of warning-there is a disco on site and we had 2nights that we were kept up at 3 am due to holiday makers shouting in the corridors after returning from the club!

I have so much more advice so please get in touch with any questions or tips.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Paradise_sho
Kansas
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here for 13 days with family, friends and 3 teens (11 of us). Having been to Mexico several times, I know hands down about 5 star resorts and I agree with other reviews that this is not a 5 star hotel but beautiful one none the less. My parents (in their 60's) needed a room that required convenience to the pool, beach, restaurants etc... so I called ahead to see if we could all stay at Naam Building 29 as people on this site told us it was great access to everything. When we arrived a day later than the other guests in our party, upon checking in, they had no rooms available in the same building as my family and so we were upgraded to the Premium suites for the evening. This was an amazing room and couldn't pass it up. The premium suites apparently have top shelf liquor but when I tried opening up the Don Julio tequila, it had so much hard residue on the top of the bottle and it wasn’t sealed or tasted like Don Julio (hmmm). The premium rooms are further away from everything but nicer rooms for sure. We checked out of the room at 1000am per the request of the reception but we couldn’t get into our other room until 4pm so that was irritating due to them having our suitcases.
HOTEL: This hotel is large with plenty of walking! I wouldn't recommend it for the elderly due to not being able to always get a golf cart to transport you to restaurants etc (even if you call for one). The 3rd night at the hotel we all head to the buffet for dinner. After we eat, while leaving the area with my mom, she slips on some food that was left on the floor and tares her hamstring (which we didn’t know at the time, we thought she messed up her hip). A doctor had to be called, due to her going into shock from the pain and was transported to Playa Del Carmen's hospital where she had to spend the night to run tests. Luckily my husband speaks Spanish, and went with her to make the translation easier. Of course, this put a huge dampener on our vacation and seeing as the hotel is 20 miles away from the nearest hospital, we had to pick her up in a taxi which was very painful, and uncomfortable on her injury. Please, please be careful with this hotel and all the slippery tiles. We heard of so many people injuring themselves due to either excessive water from the rain, food on the floor, or the type of soap they use to clean the tile (make sure you have travel insurance, her stay was $2,500 for the night at the hospital). After her fall, she was less mobile and found it difficult to get around. The hotel doesn’t have a wheel chair and luckily the hospital gave her a walker (zimmer) to get around. The manager called and the concierge Alex also called to check on my mom and the manager told her not to hesitate to call if she needed anything. What is it that she needs when she’s confined to a hotel room? We have room service in all inclusive!!! This in itself is bad customer service. Word of mouth is a great advertising tool and at this point, nothing good is coming from our mouths about this whole incident. We were approached daily from the buffet staff who witnessed her fall and that in itself was greatly appreciated because THEY sincerely cared. Even the next morning at breakfast, I saw pieces of food on the floor that was waiting for an accident to happen! PLEASE CLEAN UP THE FOOD!!!!!!!
ROOMS: I’m not a fan of an open space where your significant other can see you shower, use the rest room, and bathe. I personally like privacy in the bathroom. Our friends who traveled with a 16 yr old had the same room without a glass for privacy. When she complained to the concierge about it, they just said "They are romantic rooms" She replied "What's romantic about having a 16 yr old?" The 16 yr old even had to sleep on the sofa bed as there was only a king bed and they refused to move them. So, if you are traveling with teens, please request a glass insert for privacy and two double beds.
FOOD: Very plentiful. My favorite was breakfast in the main buffet but one negative is the omelet station, and meat station. Instead of asking for 1 order, ask for maybe 3 orders at a time? They are very s-l-o-w! My other favorite meal for dinner was Chinese and Mexican. There is always a staff member greeting you in a themed outfit (great touch). If you just want a quick snack, all the restaurants by the pools and beach are pretty good. We tried most of the A la carte restaurants, my least favorite was Italian and my favorite was the Steak house where I ordered a bottle of wine and that was very expensive ($32). I thought the house wine was OK, but not the greatest.
SPA: One comment on here was about the spa being over priced and I agree. We asked how much for a set of gel nails and to our horror it was $80 plus, we just laughed in disbelief! Why would anyone pay more for a set of gel nails or massage on vacation when they can get it for cheaper at home? They need to offer specials for sure on all their packages instead of offering a free massage if you attend some sales pitch on their "special celebration" where they try to sell you premium upgrades. If you do use their spa, it's pretty far out on the resort and their gym was pretty nice and spacious and well stocked with water and towels.
DRINKS: Plenty of water at each bar poured in recycled cups (nice touch). If you like mixed drinks, I suggest you ask for a shot on the side instead of premixed. They are very weak and sugary. The beer is fine but if you are like me and prefer spirits then this is the way to go. Of course, you won't get top shelf liquor, but you will get a better drink especially if you tip.
TIPS: This is based on what service you get and not because you feel you have to. It can get very costly tipping every meal, so just tip when you can because a little goes a long way but you will still get great service. I chose to tip the maid at the end of my vacation rather than leave it in the room. I found out that on the last day, she was working another building and if I had left it in the room, then another maid would've cashed in, and the lead maids also go in to check the cleanliness of the room before the new guests come, so please if you tip, hand it to them. You will be very pleased with their service and towel art (amazing). They also have computer towers for your opinion outside the restaurants. The staff is always telling you their name, they must get an incentive if you write a positive (which we did often) about their service.
TOURS: We were limited in tours due to so many of us in our party but we did splurge on Explor which is a great day out for all ages if you love zip lines :) We also hired a Sea -doo which was $60 for 30 mins and took a trip into Playa Del Carmen by catching a small minivan outside the resort on the main road for 70 pesos both ways so that was a great trip with a beautiful beach and shopping. They have lots of tours in the main lobby (there are two lobby's one is smaller than the other) for everyone's trip needs.
BEACH: I prefer a long sandy beach. The hotel is set on a cove and the beach is very cozy. It's rocky in some parts but overall it’s pretty nice with snorkeling at your finger tips. If you want shade under an Palapa , don't get mad at noon when you head down to the beach only to find them all occupied. I am a believer that if I want shade I'm going to get up early and save my spot! I'm not one to just leave my towel there and never use it, and I never saw that happen at this resort. Some complained but again, if you want a good spot there's nothing wrong with saving it if you plan on being there all day.
ENTERTAINMENT: All the entertainment crew worked hard day and night. Great activities on the beach, pool side, along with great shows in the theater by the main lobby and some shows actually in the main lobby and by the beach bar. Many of the teens headed to the disco on site but I think you have to be 18.
NO FREE WIFI OR SAFE- We paid $24 for two weeks of internet where it was bad in certain areas of the resort (hit or miss). Why are we being charged for this? I have never had to pay at other resorts so this was an added expense. Also, having to pay for a safe? This should come with the room as an incentive to all guests.
EXTRA'S - Lazy River worth trying, a great coffee bar, ice cream bar, and juice bar. Wildlife is great to watch and you will see them for sure. Plenty of Tequila if you wish ;) Overall, I had a good trip. Would we go back? Probably not due to the size of the hotel, and wanting to try new destinations.

Room Tip: Naam building 29 which is close to pool and beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Teresar71
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is Spanish owned and comes as Two Hotels in One, Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel and Spa/Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa.
This is built on a large plot that has room for future expansion. The rooms are built in a semi circular design so that you can ride in one of their many Golf Buggies from one end to the other and reach both lobbies in a matter of minutes, considering there are a 1000 junior suite rooms.
We stayed in block 2900 (a ground floor j/s 2902) which we found excellent and quiet only 50 metres to the pool and a nip over a small bridge to have breakfast/lunch to the Bayou pool Restaurant.
The accommodation and food in all the restaurants we visited in the Two weeks we stayed here was Excellent clean and a credit to the staff who really did care to make our holiday one to remember and certainly I will want to visit again.
Lastly just a special mention to Edgar (Senior Bell Boy) who gave us many laughs and trips in his Golf Club buggy and also like to say to Norma who worked mainly around the pool, many thanks for all the drinks you served us with.

Room Tip: Choose Blocks 2600-2900 for the quietest part of the resort, even though we never found it noisy oth...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple