“An excellent property to which I shall return”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“An excellent property to which I shall return”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

After having read some of the negative comments, it was with some trepidation that we approached this property. Indeed, there was a strong odor in our room, when we arrived. I remarked to my wife that this might be that dreaded mildewy scent I had read about. She remarked that it was definitely not mildew, and was probably a very strong cleaner that was used in the room when not occupied. Sure enough, with the air conditioning and fan running, the scent vacated the scene. Mildew just doesn't act like that; I'll take my wife's assessment as the reality.

Another foreboding was the size of the property itself. It is rather overwhelming at first glance. Given the size, I feared that the property could not be a five star resort, that it must mass market. I found that the two things are not mutually exclusive. With a concierge at the ready in each residence building, the property began to take on more of the intimacy one would expect in an upscale resort. On the plus side, the size of the property allows for the dispersion of many activities, e.g. the spa, the disco, the dive shop, which might otherwise appear to fall over one another.

And speaking of the SPA, what a grand surprise. Our package included a visit to the spa for a hydrotherapy session. I was totally overwhelmed by the location of the spa, the variety and length of the treatment, and the personal attention throughout. I'm not really a spa guy, but this over two hour treatment was a real treat.

I'm a scuba diver, and I will not go to a resort that does not offer SCUBA. This one does, and the operation is thoroughly professional and honest, not to mention a lot of fun. The dive shop also offers snorkeling trips, so on my last (no dive) day, we went snorkeling with the turtles. She's still talking about her up close and personal encounter with the hawksbills of Akumal bay. If you dive, don't miss Dos Ojos Cenote - it's unbelievable. If you don't dive, the shop offers introduction to SCUBA as well as various certification courses. Sorry tekkies, no nitrox - yet.

I found the food good and palatable, but nothing to write home about. My main complaint is in our package at least there is a surcharge to go to the French restaurant. So, I refused to go there - I mean, all inclusive should mean all-inclusive, n'est ce pas? We do recommend the Mexican, and the Mediterranean. Also, the Japanese is fun, despite the fact that chop suey is not Japanese. For that matter, it's not even Chinese. So, I would not give this property 5 stars for the food, although the service certainly is.

The grounds are lovely, the ubiquitous iguana are friendly, the property is kept in an exceptional state of cleanliness. Maintenance and grounds keeping definitely get high marks from me.

Being a bit long tooth, and having early morning dive trips on a daily basis, I find myself incompetent to comment on the nightly shows or the discos. I understand they're good, but I wouldn't know - I need my sleep.

The beach is a bit of a tough nugget for those who do not own reef shoes (boat shoes, water shoes, whatever). It is rocky, though there is a small path out by the dive boat. My wife was a bit disappointed, until we took a day trip into Playa del Carmen, and she bought some reef shoes. After that, it was no problemo, amigo.

Speaking of day trips, Playa del Carmen is a breeze to get to on the collectivo. Also, there are several day trips offered by various retailers on the property. We took the one day Coba-Tulum-Playa Paraiso, which is well worth it. If you are into Mayan ruins, and think Chichen Itza is all there is, you'd be well advised to go to Coba. Just be sure to take your walking shoes.

I can't give the location 5 stars, because of the rocky water, and the length of the trip from the airport. Take it from me - the nonstop van is definitely worth the investment. Still, it's the high end of 4 stars.

The architecture will definitely be in the eye of the beholder. It struck me as an architect's madness reflected in the use of pyramidical shapes - hence the strange window thing in the bathroom, and the immensity of the lobby bar. I found the architecture disconcerting, but others may find it lovely. Nonetheless, it is functional.

Caution to US citizens - if you are Canadaphobic, this is not your property. This place seems to draw Canadians like bees to a hive. Personally, I find the Canadians delightful, and I truly enjoyed my time with them; especially with my dive buddies eh?

All in all, from being overwhelmed at the beginning, to growing used to the property as my 12 night stay continued, I left the property feeling very satisfied with an excellent stay at an excellent property, which somehow seemed to become more intimate, the longer I stayed there.

5 Thank UW70SCUBA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,702)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Ontario
Reviewed March 19, 2009

When i booked the trip I went on trip adviso after and got really down by the reviews on here. So I went with little expectations.

It is a bit far from the airport (about 2 hrs) but they serve you beer on the bus and you get to check out the scenary. I found nothing wrong with the lobby...and even if some people do think its run down HOW much time do you spend in there...like come on!!!!The check in was super fast and our room was ready. The bell boys were there ready to take your luggage while a seperate bell boy on a big golf cart was ready to take you to your room.

Heres the rundown
Rooms- Clean a bit musty smelling but what can you expect its a warm, humid climate. I just brought a small bottle of febreeze and it made it fine by the 3rd day you didnt notice it. The maids always did a great job and made the most amazing animals and hearts with flowers on the bed with towels. The mini bar was always stocked up as well. I found our king size bed comfortable enough. The big tub takes along time to fill and dont put the whole bottle of bubbles in then turn on the tub. Our shower massager didnt work but I only really wanted a shower and it was always nice and hot.
BEACH and POOL- Beautiful, get up early to get a chair, and bring water shoes it can be very rocky. Its fun to explore when you walk way down and see the ruins right on the beach. Two pools one is Massive. Clean and again get up early to get a spot to reserve. I enjoyed the smaller pool and the swim up bar there. The guys start remembering you and will have a drink ready for you. And Ercia the waitress at the beach is the best ever, she works her butt off and alot of people were rude to her. I could never do her job.So I tipped her well

Lobby bar-Rudy and Luis are the nightlife guys there. They are funny and amazing. They remember you and your name by the 2nd day. They joke around and since it is not a party place willl stand around and talk to you about there life in mexico and whats its like. If you want the good vodka(stoli,smirnoff etc) you have to ask for it. Rudy pours the strongest drinks ever so beware you will get drunk very fast if he is making it.
Disco-Not much of a party but its ok

The restaurants/ Buffets- Are good. You get sick of eating near the end but they try to have different things. I personally loved the guacamole. We had meditteraean(?) A la carte but we slept past it (rudys fault)lol. The japanese was fun and enetertaining but if you eat sushi regularly its just OK. The steakhouse is really really good.

The people there all say OLA and are so friendly. The waiters are always asking if your ok, or if food is ok, or if you need anything. Overall I really enjoyed this place..The only downfall was how big it was,....its alot of walking everywhere.

ps. The lazy river is fun for a one trip only but perfect for kids. and dont forget to TIP!!

5 Thank OntariosSunchaser
ohio
Reviewed March 17, 2009

My first impression of the GS was a little disappointing, the entrance does need a face lift, but after check in, things were a whole lot better,
the greeters, check in, bell boys and etc, were first class, they made you feel welcomed,
After we got into our rooms, (of course we had a hole in the wall, but it was just my
husband and myself, we were okay with it). The room was quite large & clean. we had a fruit tray in our room upon arrival,
It was lunch time so we went to find the buffet, the food is okay, nothing special at the buffets, but we all found something to eat. Then we took a walk around the grounds, and was very surprised, the beach is one of the nicer beaches we have stayed at in the Riviera Maya, the pools were cool and inviting, we did not have a problem finding chairs the whole week we were there. (there were 12 of us in our group).
The pool bars were fun, and the servers really went out of their way to make you happy.
We had 4 ala cartes, the steak house, Brazilian, Italian & Cajun.
we had good food at all the ala cartes.
we went to the theater every night and enjoyed the shows, Carol does a good job
on getting the audience to participate,
Went to the disco, too smokey for me, and not much happening there,
but after the day in the hot sun and drinking, we were really happy to spend a couple
of hours at the lobby bar and call it a night.
on Friday night, GS put on a buffet at the beach with entertainment,
it was really a nice touch, everyone enjoyed it, they had live music, dancing on the
beach, the limbo & etc. The staff was there to greet everyone.
Everyday we got back to our rooms, there was a special treat for us,
one night we had a dessert, one night a bottle of tequila, 2 shot glasses,
one night a fruit tray, (the staff really went out of their way to make you feel welcomed)
We took the ferry to Cozumel for a day of shopping, and one afternoon at Playa Del Carmen. Overall I would not consider this a 5 golden apple that Apples Vacations has it listed at, but it was above average.
We had an early check out and the staff sent us off with a goodie bag for breakfast,
cookies, muffins & water.
I would go back, but will probably try a different resort next time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank buffgone-oh
terrebonne, Quebec
Reviewed March 16, 2009

went there for 1 week.
This resort is rated as a 5 star, after LOTS & LOTS of trips I would rate this resort as a 3 star. Not excellent on everything But Not too bad either.
Food is not the greatest, for A LA CARTE restaurant, the steak house was good but the others were not . If you have been to Real 5 stars resorts do not go to this one. But if this is your first trip you might enjoy.
- service & activities are excellent... Thanks to our dear RICO !
- snorkling is worthed
Also, please be very carefull.... one of my kids is really close to 18years old(we went the last week of Feb and he will be 18years old on April 5th), we allow him to take a drink here & there HOWEVER THERE WAS NO WAY OF getting him an adult bracelet that would allow him to drink freely. This was very disapointing. They will not let anyone under 18 years old drink + They also watch at the bars to be sure no one provides to underaged teens.
Overall, I am glad we went, but I would not pay to go back
Bring shoes for the ocean, it is too hard on your feet otherwise.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank chantal_124
Alberta
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We just got back from a week at the Grand Sirenis and enjoyed every minute. It was our first trip to Mexico and to an all-inclusive. We went to snorkel but unfortunately it was very windy so we were able to get out on the beach just twice. There are a lot of fish to see and we are sorry that the wind was a problem. We decided to take a tour to do three snorkelling areas and we were not disappointed. The areas were all protected and the wind was not a factor. The underwater river snorkeling was awesome as was the Blue Lagoon.
The food at the Sirenis was great and we really enjoyed the meal at the Brazilian Restaurant.
The service was great everywhere. We went to the Tulum ruins by collectivo and enjoyed them. The trip to Playa del Carmen was disappointing as it is just tacky souvenir shops, crowded beach and not particularly worth the time.
All in all, a wonderful time. We are birders and on the grounds alone we recorded 61 species - 21 lifers. They could make more of this for people who are interested.

M and D, Alberta

4 Thank SueAlberta
Vancouver
Reviewed March 14, 2009

My family stayed at this beautiful resort for two weeks!! We had a wonderful time and I would recommend this resort to families with children. We had two sets of grandparents with us which helped with babysitting in the evenings. The food was excellent and the pools were great. You are able to have a meal any time of the day, which is great if you have small children that nap.
You have to get up early to reserve your spot on the beach but be careful because if you lose your towels they are $40.00 American to replace.
The rooms are spacious and clean!
I would reccommend getting private transportation from the Airport to the resort as it takes a good hour and a half. I requested car seats and the cost for both ways was $180. 00 American! Well worth it!
A bit expensive as we went during Spring Break but worth every penny!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Stayed here 3 nights 4 days. Feb. 27 - March 2. This place is fabulous. Everyting about it was perfect. Great rooms, grounds, staff. The food is typical AI food and the drinks are light on alcohol no different from any other AI. We stayed at the resort all the time, did not venture away as this was intended for an R&R and that is what we did. We had an oceanview room in the Mayan Beach Resort and enjoyed it very much. Our room was kept immaculate by Jose. I would stay here again as well as recommend it to others.
It does take 1 to 1-1/2 hrs. from Cancun Airport by shuttle to get here so you need to plan for that.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bamjam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#75 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!