“Great hotel with so much to offer”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was a great hotel with so much to offer in activities. This is a very large property with many pools, lazy river and amazing beach. The swim with the dolphines was exceptional. We paid for the best dolphine swim package and got more than we ever expected. I believe, because this was a new program for the hotel, we got extra time. It was a very small group of us (six people) and we each got plenty of time to touch and interact with the dolphines. We also go to do the foot push twice, which was a bonus. I've read several reviews on swimming with the dolphines and I believe we got exceptional service at the hotel's program. I would highly recommend spending the money and doing it. The spa was also a very pleasant surprise. We didn't book the longer massage because I didn't want to waste time and more for a poor massage. I was surprised by how good they were and wished we had book a longer massage. I would highly recommend the spa at this hotel too. The food was good as most all inclusive hotels. Book your restaurants the first night you arrive so you can get good times and nights that you want. The staff was extremely nice and accomodating. My only complaint would be the beds. It's time for new matresses is all I can say! Ask for matresses toppers as soon as you arrive. Don't even sleep one night with out the toppers or you'll be sorry. I would stay at this hotel again because of all they have to offer, the friendly staff and location of the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a "garden view" which was fine with us. We got to see the monkeys in the evening...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda J

Reviewed June 5, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach resort for 2 weeks at the end of May 2014 and had an amazing time at the resort and also in the country of Mexico.

We usually book flights, hotel, etc. ourselves but due to the distance away from the UK we decided to go down the package route, we booked with Thomson and paid a fair price and had no issues at all with the service they provided.

This was our first time flying on the 787 Dreamliner plane and we are glad that we paid a little extra for the privilege, the Dreamliner is much more comfortable than any other plane we have flown on inbound/outbound flights came in at 9 hours each way and after the flights we felt as if we'd been on a short flight to Spain rather than a long haul flight over the Atlantic. Very impressed.

Check in at the hotel was quick and efficient, the bellboys took our luggage and us down to our room, we were in room 29xx of the Naab block on the Mayan Beach side of the resort, our block was the closest block to the beach, 1 minute walk at most. Our room was on the ground floor so we didn't have a particularly great view, just garden scenery, it wasn't too bad though and there was plenty of wildlife to look at. We did have an issue with the air conditioning in our room as the unit leaked and flooded the bathroom, this was resolved by a maintenance person within 20 minutes of reporting it and we had no further issues with the room.

There is plenty to do on the resort itself; the beach is lovely and well kept, the lazy rive is a nice place to relax in, there are plenty of bars to go have a drink and the bar staff are very friendly. There are lots of pools and sun loungers, we didn't have any problems getting a sun lounger when we went at any time of the day.

The food in the buffet restaurant was overall good, some things were hit and miss but there was plenty to choose from at all mealtimes and anyone that complains about the food here must be a very fussy eater.

The a la carte restaurants are nice, we went to; Brazillian, Mexican, Steak House, Cajun, Italian, Japanese. The Steak House was a bit of a let down (the steak that I had in the Cajun was much nicer), the Brazillian was really good (I suggest that you don't bother with the starter as you get so much meat with the main), the Japanese Tepanyaki was easily the best as the meal was cooked as part of a show for your table, wish that we could have gone there again.

We used the Spa and would definitely recommend going there is you have the chance. We got a couples deal that got us; 90 minutes in the hydrotherapy pools, 20 minutes on the water beds and and 40 minute full body massage for $1399(MXN pesos - approx £120) - the massages were amazing.

The Thomson reps in the lobby were excellent (we dealt with Jasmine and Carina and they both did a fantastic job of arranging our excusions and answering our questions).

Some of the excursions that we did -

Bar Crawl - This wasn't too great to start with, you essentially travel round 4 bars in Playa del Carmen having a drink or two in each and then you end up in Coco Bongos at the end of the night, Coco Bongos was really really good, the show that they put on there is amazing, we wish that we would have had time to go up to the larger Coco Bongos in Cancun. The bars that you go to before aren't anything special and the drinks at each weren't great.

Chichen Itza - This was a great place to visit. The Thomson excursion sets off early (6.30am) but means that you get there before anyone else pretty much and also means that it is a bit cooler whilst you are walking around. Our tour guide Alfonso did a good job of explaining the interesting past of the Mayans. As part of the excursion you visit a Tequila Museum (shop), swim in an underground cenote and also visit a small town where you can enjoy an ice cream in the square.

Platinum Dolphin Experience Xel Ha - This was one of the best things that we have ever done. The dolphin experience allowed us to swim with dolphins and play with them (including a foot push) and also gave us access to the Xel Ha park which was amazing in itself (if you aren't interested in swimming with dolphins then we would definitely recommend that you visit Xel Ha - you are basically left to your own devices to swim around a huge aquarium - google it for more information.

Jungle Tour - This excursion comprised of going into the jungle where we were able to go down a couple of zip lines, rappel into a cenote, snorkel in some underground caves and are driven over a bumpy path in a unimog and then have a meal cooked by local Mayan people. You are then taken over the ancient port city of Tulum and visit the amazing beach there. This excursion was good but we found it a little too regimented, you do the activities in a set order and the whole day felt a little rushed, we are still glad that we went however.

Xplor - This excursion was a really fun day out. There are many activities to do here and we just about managed to do them all; Swimming through underground caves, rafting through underground caves, flying along long and fast zip lines through the trees (about 15 different zip lines in total), zip lining into water whilst in hammocks, driving amphibious vehicles around 2 different dirt tracks (this was really really good fun). This excursion allows you to do what you want in any order you want so if you want to do some things twice then you would be able to. The food at the buffet restaurant here is excellent also.

Cozumel - This wasn't an excursion as such, we travelled down to Playa del Carmen and then got the ferry across to Cozumel island. There is plenty do do on Cozumel island, we went snorkelling in the coral reef and were taken around various areas where we saw lots of fish,

There are loads more excursions to choose from, I'd recommend checking them all out on trip advisor then speaking to the rep at the hotel for more information.

Tips -

We didn't bother using taxis whilst in Mexico, the local collectivo bus/vans are frequent and very cheap ($35MXN pesos / ~£1.75 each way) to Playa del Carmen.

Aqua shoes can come in very useful for excursions such as Xel Ha and Xplor.

Good walking shoes for place such as Chichen Itza and the Jungle Tour

You'll need plenty of spending money especially if you want to buy the official photos and souvenirs from various places (the photos from the Dolphin Experience were $200USD / ~£120 for a digital set)

We took 2/3 of our spending money is Mexican Pesos and 1/3 in US Dollars and found that most places accepted both (Pesos accepted everywhere, dollars nearly everywhere). At the time that we went, paying in dollars worked out very slighter cheaper due to the decent exchange rate is the UK (we were getting 1.6USD for £1 and 20.5 Mexican Peso for £1)

All in all, Mexico was an amazing place to visit and we will definitely be going back at some point.

We wouldn't hesitate in going back to the Grand Sirenis unless we decided to stay in a different part of Mexico such as Cancun.

12  Thank Nick B
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Me and my husband stayed from 7th -22nd May.

On a arrival we checked in to our room very quickly, we were taken to our room in the chukum block by the bell boy.

Entertainment:-
We stayed around pool three during our stay, entertainment team had activities going on every day including Spanish,bingo,Zumba, water polo and tequila volleyball. The evening entertainment in the theatre varied we watched 4 shows during our stay with lion king being the best show, it was also at its busiest having market stalls on at the same time. Brilliant night.

Hotel:-
Grand sirenis certainly exceed our expectations. It's a huge a hotel, with plenty of restaurants, pools, very well maintained gardens. The rooms were kept to a very high standard that continued through out stay. Just a note we had no frosted glass between bathroom and bedroom,(most people we spoke to had a frosted glass) this didn't bother us though. I would highly recommend the spa, we managed to get a good deal and thoroughly enjoyed the treatments, massage followed by lunch. Definitely the nicest hotel we have been to.

Staff:-
The staff at the hotel made our stay very pleasant, with a special mention to max in the main restraint, Llydi bar maid at pool 3, Tomas at the Mexican restraint and Marcus as our concierge. Marcus went out of his way to make sure we were okay and even managed to book us in for our Honeymoon meal (even though I hadn't brought my marriage certificate)

Trips (just in case you fancy going on any)

We booked two trips through the Corina the Thomson rep, she advised us of what we needed to take during the trip which helped.
Chichen itza was a early start but defiantly worth it!! We arrived before all the other tourists which was a bonus. We got some fantastic pictures, and many memories to treasure. We then continued our trip swimming, tequila tasting followed by a trip to a local town.
Isla contoy, we left for this trip to get to cancun to be told the trip was cancelled due to the sea, we were told we could have our money back or complete the trip another day. We decided as we were here for two weeks we would try it again. We arrived to cancun to thunder, lightning and rain that caused roads to close due to flooding. We were told on arrival we had to wait a 1hr 20m if we were able to go. They then decided to leave it to our judgement if we wished to go. We returned back to the hotel 1hr 30mims later to get our money back. We would of love to go on this trip, it's no ones fault it just depends on the weather so just giving you a heads up.

Food:-
We ate at the main restaurant for breakfast and evening meal, with lunch being at the pool restaurant. We booked in for the steak house, Italian, Mediterranean, Mexican and Brazilian. Steak house we both had lovely food and good service.
Italian we had awful service taking nearly 55 minutes to even get our starter. Food was nice was just a shame service was slow.
Mediterranean we never went to as we had to cancel will explain shortly.
Mexican fantastic service, lovely food a brilliant night.
Brazilian our favourite restaurant during our stay. Go feeling hungry, you will see why.

As our second week arrived I became ill, with my husband having the same towards the end of the holiday. I was ill for 9 day just thinking it was a mixture of things but since reading trip advisor it looks like a lot of people had the same and said it was down to the food. Just a tip make sure you take enough tablets as we ended up paying £12 from the local shop. Luckily neither of us let it spoil our holiday.

Overall we both enjoyed our trip here and would to love to come back to Mexico in the future.

10  Thank jessmidlands
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This is our 7th time at this resort and I must say the service just keeps getting better and better, from my arrival to departure I am greeted like I'm coming home and everyone is family and that's what we love the most. A huge thank you to Manuel Pool who is simply the best, to Jesus in the French restaurant who makes that night exceptionally special even when your not celebrating a special occasion, he makes you feel special every single time you visit -thank you!! Also all of the staff Janer Captain Jesus from the Cajun & Alfonso Chel who took care of us really well Juan Delacruz from the steakhouse and last but no means least Dee from the beach. Huge congratulations to Bianca from the coffee shop who was wonderful every afternoon supplying me with lovely coffee & cakes. Once again the food is amazing, and the resort continues to upgrade on each visit. We visited in September 2013 and was back May this year and was blown away with the new Dolphinarium which our party of 4 did and was soooo cheap and amazing. Look forward to our next trip in September xx

Room Tip: All rooms are great as the resort is big with the ocean and many pools
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank GCampbell67
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed in this hotel at the start of January. We enjoyed every minute of the fortnight. We had a similar check in experience as is being described. We had to change rooms straight away as the first one was not suitable for three of us sharing but we had no problem getting it swapped.

The entertainment staff were brilliant during the day. The Mexican market on the Tuesday was great.

We had no problems with the food. We took the Thompson trip to Chichen Itza which was a great day out and well worth the 6.30 collection.

We had great fun snorkeling at the beach which was absolutely full of fish and enjoyed seeing the turtles coming in every lunch time.

The food was exactly what we expected for fully inclusive, the buffet was the usual average food. The a la carte restaurants were excellent.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ChristopherMcP
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Great place however if you are looking for a holiday of sightseeing this hotel is in the middle of nowhere. That aside the hotel is very clean, the staff are very friendly and met our requirements for a great special honeymoon. The entertainment team are good as long as you like musicals and the resturants are ok stick to the japanese.

my only issues is when the bus comes back from Coco Bongo and the noise at 4am is brutal.

Room Tip: there are 2 different areas to this hotel, always try for the accomodation surrounding the steakhous...
6  Thank Grant M
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

I stated with a friend for 6 nights in the last week of May 2014.

Overall it is a decent resort. It really depends what you are looking for and what you are used to. I've never been to an all-inclusive so here is my opinion.

Checkin: we arrived early so expected to have to wait. However there was no luggage room!!! In a big resort I found this amazing and the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of in a '5 star' resort. So we were not willing to leave our luggage and bags out in the open so we could explore the place. As a result we did very little for 3 hours. There are 2 gigantic lobbies and rooms in between them. Why they can't organise a luggage room I don't know. The lobbies are very nice with a bar in each.

Food: in the buffet restaurants it was mostly good. A lot of choices for every palate. Not everything was amazing, but for buffet, it was decent enough. We only tried 2 of the reserve restaurants. Nice steak at Cajun place but the menu was full of rich food that didn't appeal to me. Loved the Japanese tepanyaki place. Yum!! Only drawback was that it was too warm. And with the dress code of long pants, I was sweating.

The 'included' room service food was not very good.

Resort: The layout of the whole resort isn't exactly walker friendly. And there aren't enough clear signs. But there are good pools, bars etc. gardens are excellent.

Entertainment: The theatre is a great idea (though I would prefer a mini cinema). Didn't watch many shows but the Lion king show was very good for what it was. There are several bars throughout. Not the highest quality drinks but good nonetheless. There is also an entertainment room with pool, table tennis etc. the staff were thoughtful when it rained, quickly arranging activities in the lobbies. The pools are great with lots if deck chairs. We found service of drinks was pretty good.

Wifi: 5 star resort and no wifi included. I've stayed in 2 star places that have wifi included. I ended up buying wifi package for the week. It was ok but very slow at times.

The spa: I didn't use the facilities but it looked nice. However I did get a haircut though. Well it was a #1 buzz cut. No expertise required. But it cost $37!!! Was not happy.

Room: good sized room. And nice balcony. Ordinary pillows and bedding. Some basic included drinks in the minibar. Snacks would have been good though.

Staff: generally quite friendly and helpful.

Overall it was a good place to visit. We got a cheap deal so I can't complain TOO much. I would recommend it as a base for all the activities on the riviera maya.

Stayed: June 2014