“3.5 Stars, travelled with another couple” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Toronto, Canada
“3.5 Stars, travelled with another couple”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I travelled to the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya from February 12-22, 2014. We travelled with another couple who we travel with annually, we are all in our 30s, from Toronto, Canada.
Pros:
Friendly service
Beautiful weather (27-32 celsius and sun everyday!)
Great coffee bar (expect to wait at least 10 minutes for your coffee, everybody loves them)
We liked the beach (bring water shoes, there are rocks and reef and sea urchins, but that makes better snorkelling)
Giant rooms (the showers are awesome, jacuzzi tub is great, there is a giant hole in the wall between the bedroom and bathroom but in our relationship we aren't embarrassed about this stuff so, whatever)
Enjoyed breakfast buffet (Eric was our favourite waiter in the main buffet), all the locations for brekkie were decent, same goes for lunch
A la cartes we liked: Japanese, Mediterranean, Brazilian-by far the best food and service, our waiter was hilarious and the only staff member who thought it was great that we were celebrating our first wedding anniversary
Lots of lounge chairs available IF you get up early to find them, especially if you want a beach lounger in the shade
Cabanas around pool a nice touch
Enjoyed the drinks
Corona is the beer on tap
Maid service was great (we tipped $5 a day and I brought a small gift each day--such as perfumes, pretty toiletries, etc)
Fast trip from airport to resort-about an hour (PS we flew Transat-don't buy the $6 beers in the parking lot, they are only $3 on the bus, and there IS a bathroom onboard, they didn't tell us and we all cheered when we found out, and drank more)!
The shows are funny and sweet (we liked Grease and Lion King), the staff try really hard-so have a good sense of humour and appreciate their effort, the complainers on here are REAL JERKS-want to see a great show? Pay like the rest of us and go to Broadway, not a resort!
Cool wildlife
Each block has its own concierge to book reservations, just make sure you reserve ASAP, and be sure the dates and times are correct
Free room service, takes about an hour, food is gross but if you have had drinks, it works :)
Fun music by the pool, and pool staff/entertainment staff really try to engage you
Fabulous service and recommendation by Luis, the spa sales person. We got couples massages on the beach in the beach tower and loved it

CONS (hate giving cons!):
The WORST experience was the 100 or so Spanish kids (18 and over) that were wasted alll the time, banging on doors at 4am each night, one stole my beach hat (we got it back because she was an idiot and wore it the next day), rude, entitles brats--I know the resort can't ban people, but they could have managed them a little better...eventually a security guard followed them around to shut them up, but it was absolutely out of control (and we are NOT prudes, so I can't imagine how other reacted to them)!
Ridiculously slow check in, considering very few people were in line, we arrived around 8pm
We were promised ocean view, we probably had the worst view on the resort, facing a factory or something, I don't know what it was, I think we were in block 2300--great location, fabulous actually, just a bad view
We had some issues with our reservations, wrong dates were given to us (be sure to double check and compare)
We were told that we would have a welcome bottle of tequila, it was not there, they sent it up later upon our request
We were told that something nice would be done for us for our first anniversary, nothing was done--so we asked for it (haha, lame)--so then 2 days later they sent us a bottle of sparkling-nice but a little late ;)
Very hard bed, not great pillows--but, enough pillows to kind of figure it out
Cajun and steak a la cartes were not good. Well, the steak could have been good, but my steak was sooooo blue. So, maybe order a little more well done than usually, and you might be okay.

All in all, we had a great time. I will not return due to the Spanish young adult infiltration. I realize that it could happen anywhere, but I do believe if we went to an adults only resort, we would avoid that type of clientele. We don't mind party people, but that crowd was NOT our cup of tea (ignorant, childish, entitled).

Enjoy your stay at this resort!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MrsKHam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,667)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The wait and service staff were LOVELY! They work very hard for very little pay, so you still need to tip despite resort "claims" that all gratuities are included. Rooms were fairly clean - found 2 live cockroaches, various spiders and earwigs - but dated. Beds are HORRIBLY uncomfortable and sheets are threadbare. Front desk staff are VERY disorganized. Stomach turning raw sewage smell in our bathroom and at swim up bar. A la carte restaurants are nothing special and VERY noisy - might as well eat at the buffet. Had one good and one bad meal at the Steakhouse. The wine is raunchy - Tuesday's vintage. I resorted to drinking Miami Vices, which were enjoyable and camouflaged the taste of the cheap quality spirits. The resort is also about 1hr. and 30 min. drive to the airport. Overall the wait staff and our travel mates made the experience wonderful, but I would NEVER stay here again nor recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

I wrote a very positive review last May about this resort. After spending a week again this March, I still think this is an exceptional site. However I was disappointed. What is the source of my disappointment? Not the place, not the food, not the accommodations. While they all could use some overhaul, they are fine really. No the staff is the source of my reservations. As a premium member I felt ignored and put out by the very people who are supposed to make my stay a dream come true. Well it did not happen. I had asked for a premium room with a king bed. I was given a regular room with a two double beds! I had given my restaurant reservations earlier and they were ignored. I had to do it all over again. I had to call a few days before getting there since I had not heard from my concierge who was supposed to get in touch. The same concierge who assured me he would make everything smooth for us and who somehow became the invisible man throughout our stay. He even called one morning waking us up at 8am asking if all was well! Guilty perhaps. And to top it all after we settled our bill no one truly said goodbye. Let me say that the service in restaurants and bars was fine. I particularly thank Miguel great at the beach party (a nice addition by the way) and Karen, who made sure we were supplied with libations on the beach and was extremely pleasant and effective. But the premium members staff were missing, passive and full of complacency and indifference. I love this place but I did not enjoy the way I was treated, and that is a damning comment. Let's hope you can do better next time

Room Tip: Higher floor and ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

We found our overall experience to be good. The grounds were clean and well kept. The buffet's were very good and the staff were prompt and friendly, however, we found our a la carte experiences to be marginal for quality and service.

The rooms were nice but they are getting tired. When we checked in, the room that they had for us was furthest from all the amenities on the resort, however, for an additional 4100.00 pesos we would be able to upgrade to an ocean view room which were also closer to the beach and the pool with swim up bar. Not being overly pleased with the location of our original room we paid for the room upgrade. We felt as though we were being manipulated since there were many rooms at the ocean front location that were unoccupied. We wonder whether the resort employs this strategy on a regular basis to garner extra funds for the resort. We did ask at the time whether there were any other rooms (non ocean front) available that were closer to the amenities but oddly enough the only rooms that were available were ocean front.

Other negative aspects of the resort are that they charge for the safety deposit box. I would think that this is not optional because I am not sure who in their right mind would decline the safety deposit box in their room. Even though the costs were mininal we felt as though we were being nickel and dimed. The resort should just hide the costs in the room charges.

Also, if you wanted access to wi-fi you had to pay approx. $16.00 dollars a day or $40.00 dollars per week per device. I can understand perhaps $40.00 dollars per week for all devices but $16.00/$40.00 dollars per device appeared to us to be a money grab. Also, the wi-fi at the hotel was terribly slow.

As I said, the ocean front room that we stayed in was getting tired. The sofa was well past it due date and the beds were of marginal comfort. We both didn't care for the open bathroom concept. There was little privacy provided.

We found the resort heavily oriented towards families. Not to be anti-kid or anti-family the next time we return to the Mayan Riviera we will stay in an adults only resort.

I understand the review of the resort is average, however, we both loved our time in the Mayan Riviera. The weather was great, the beaches are beautiful and the blue waters of the caribbean are stellar.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the best because they are situated close to the majority of the amenities. If...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Matt B
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We are a family of five, just finishing a week vacation at the Grand Sirenis.

Pros: awesome beach with great snorkeling, super good service, the staff go out there way to try to fix problems with the room that could only be fixed by an management update. Good restaurants, we ate Italian (good), brazillian (good) and the steak house ( thin steaks and over cooked, not to good). Buffet was good for breakfast and Mexican night. Get the tacos.

Cons: room smelled musty, beds were uncomfortable, sheets were scratchy and the couch was terrible to sit on. Also, out personal concierge was also our membership salesperson (5hr sales pitch which was too much) and when we didn't buy, things seemed awkward after that. The pools are quite boring with no slides for kids. Lazy river is best they have. We stayed at beachside most of the time.

It was over all a disappointment with the poor room, the offered to get us a different room, but we were told out options were limited because it was a connecting room. The "membership" two bedroom they showed us was awesome, but instead of making us want to purchase the membership it had the opposite effect and made us a bit angry the stuck is in the outdated smelly room.

Over, we enjoyed the beach and the service staff, but won't be returning to the resort again. I think I would look into one if the newer ones with hopefully better rooms.

Stayed March 2014
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was my first trip to Mexico 9 of us in total room no 216. It was truly a wonderful experience. Ofcourse the check in was very long even just two of us were there standing inline we arrived March 13th. Love the coffee shop and the SPA and the gym .I never felt so comfortable we had the best concierge Rubin and his team Merean I think a name was. RUBIN very professional always greeted us with a smile asked us always if everything was fine and good. We felt so welcomed the day we arrived and left. I would like to Thank Ruben concierge for taking care of us and rest of the concierge team in Bakalche.
The food was great , best AL CARTE was Cajun and Japanese not Mexican.. Infact Mexican day at the lobby was better.
The negative side not much seafood option I was hoping crabs and shrimps but not.
The couch bed was broken when we got there something to do with the springs. since my son was sleeping in another room with his cousins it didn't bother me. The shower was a bit weird even after closing the door the was would still get out but otherwise it was great Thank you Grand Sirenis management it was beautiful experience yes I would definitely come again. The great thing is that they do allow three kids in the room unlike other 5 star hotels which is weird because my kids are small I am not going to put them in another room and what's the point we barely stay I n the room . We just use it at night to sleep.

Room Tip: its great where ever you go it depends the need if you require spa and gym then the end rooms , if y...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MelB R
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed at this resort in March and thought based on the somewhat great sounding reviews that this was a fabulous place. However it is really over rated and not worthy of the five star rating it gets.

In general the food was okay lots of variety however having to walk at least a KM to get to the buffet is crazy, and no there were no trains running all week, so don't be fooled.

The restaurant on the beach has some great lunch items. The al la carts are the usual affair, nothing overly special.

Rooms

This is the biggest disappointment and while you only spend a little amount of time here the dated 70's furniture, ragged bedding, beds that sag and the giant see through opening into the washroom area is crazy. If you are a couple maybe you don't mind coming out of the shower in your birthday suit but having three teenagers in the room with us was awkward, not only for them, but for us too. There is just no privacy at all we had to hang a sheet up to get any. After addressing this with management and our vacation rep they moved us to a room with a frosted glass in the open of which the manager indicated only 30% of the rooms on the resort have according to him, really this is touted as a family resort.

The Beach

At best this beach is a 2 or 3 out of 10. It's rocky and there is little to no good sandy spots in or out of the water. On the other hand if you are into snorkelling there are excellent places to see lots of fish and rays.

Pools

This is a mostly a concrete jungle type resort not your typical Mexican feeling one. You might just think you are in Vegas instead of Mexico. Nothing special. The lazy river is an excellent thing to do and entertaining for the kids.

Other

The resort staff are awesome, always friendly and smiling, think about leaving a nice tip for the service they provide.

Ice cream bar, nice touch but maybe have a couple of people to station the shop the poor girl in there was so busy and the line up of people never seems to shrink.

If you are a coffee lovers beware that the coffee bar is not open early in the morning it mostly opened between 8-9 am, of course only with one poor girl there and a long line of caffeine deprived vacationers. The coffee was however excellent, so just be patient. Other than that you have to make the long trek to the buffet to get a take out coffee that was cold by the time you got any where or you can make a cup in the room.

We have been to the Mayan seven times and by far this was the most over rated resort we have ever been too, and we are not that picky, but we really noticed the difference and attention afford to the premier people and us common folk. From the special rooms, perks and personal golf carts it was unusual, sure I know if I want to pay for it I can, the resort could make it a little less obvious, the other resorts we have been to didn't seem to make this so obvious.

We will never be returning to the GS again, the concerns we had far out way any good price or reviews. Also, we found it very usual that resort staff approach us at check out and asked us to give a review on trip advisor, which we declined to do, is that why there are so may above average sounding reviews...these reviews swayed us initially when we did our research, but pay attention to the reoccurring themes in the less than stellar ones.

Room Tip: Get a room with frosted glass.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,833 reviews
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!