Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
$357
$145
$141
Hotels.com
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$193
$149
$340
  • Breakfast included
Grand Bahia Principe Coba(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$285
$392
15,503 results
All reviewslazy rivermayan beachhealth barice cream parlourel ranchohole in the walla la carte restaurantsfishfrosted glassthe lion kingtime sharewater circuitquiet poolbeach barmain buffetjuice barspider monkeys
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We just came back from the Grand Sirenas Hotel Mayan and I do have say that it was an overall pleasant trip. The Food was very good, the pools clean and lots of them and the people were very helpful. The beach was not what we expected. This is not a swimming beach. There is one part of the bay that is sandy but full of people because its the only part of the beach were you don't hurt your feet from all the rocks. You are going to have to get up real early if you want chairs under an umbrella and Im guessing people leave their towel overnight. I was on the beach at 6:30 am and could never get one real close to the beach. There is the members area and that can get to be annoying as all the perks are left for the members, I tried to upgrade to a bigger room but I couldn't members only and that goes for the carts your see ridding all day the leather couches in the lobby ect ect. They tell you that a cart passes every 15 minutes but did not see one in 7 days. This is a massif complex and get ready to walk because you will walk and walk and walk. One night going to the restaurant I put on 3/4 pants and was refused because they were not full length I had to walk 10 min back to the hotel to change and then another 10min back to the restaurant this time is not approx I calculated on my iPhone now I think they need to keep up with the times as I feel the 3/4 pants are more appropriate then a pair of old jeans as I have seen many times. The rooms have some nice features the shower and and a Jacuzzi tub but everything is in serious need of upgrade the ceramic on our balcony was all boken you see that this is getting to be a very old hotel and I do say the who ever is in charge of the grounds should be in charge of the hotels as they are immaculate. The beds are very uncomfortable the sofa bed is a joke and I called for an extra folding bed and they told me they were out so they put a big thick cover over the bed it wasn't so bad as my third one of 3 was sleeping on it. Also please be aware that if you take the free trip to playa del carmen and they mention that they will stop off at a jewellery factory for an hour this is a trap its not a factory but a sales pitch as they bring you in and assign a salesman for every family for an hour showing you around the whole building trying to sell you something Now I do have to say that my salesman was very nice but I was not expecting to be stuck an hour getting sold to. I did find out that the tour operators were owned by the jewellery factory and everything made sense as even nolitour took credit for it being free before hand I guess they all make a profit out of it. Now that you know take the free ride to Playa del carmen just expect to be sold to. Again as for the rest, the food was really good the beach ok the people very nice would I go back sure but would have to be a very good deal as its an ok place One last thing there kids club is a joke they have a pool and 1 person making pictures with crayons. THen they show you pictures in the lobby with other sirenas hotels with water slides just saying don't expect a focus on kids they are welcomed but just not the focus

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the beach
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank sgravel1975
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks at the Grand Sirenis =our first trip to the Yucatan Peninsula.The resort is very large and about a 90 minute drive from Cancun airport.

The hotel is also a 20=25 mile taxi ride from Playa del Carmen which is the nearest place for tourist bars, shops etc, There is nothing closer so be aware of this when booking. The round trip taxi far is about 600 pesos (£30)

On arrival we were quickly checked in and driven by the bell boys to our room in the 2900 block. It was spotless, really spacious and well equipped, except the TV which was really old and was showing its wear and age,

We were overlooking the main pool with great views over the gardens and within a couple of minutes walk of the beach, which is kept spotlessly, has plenty of sunbeds, a bar and a place serving burgers, steak etc. Plenty of fish to see when snorkelling and yes the odd turtle as well.

The gardens are beautifully maintained and the gardeners never stop keeping them that way

Food is really good generally with all meals buffet style unless you are at one of the a la cartes.We enjoyed the japanese most of all. The coffee bar is also really good and open till 1030.

Do not expect too much from the entertainment in the evenings. Apart from the 9.30pm shows, which vary greatly in quality, there is little other organised entertainmant. A singer for about 40 minutes in the lobby some, but not all evenings ad that is about it.

The main activity pool is large and has a great swim up bar.It can get quite loud in the afternoon especially when the drinks are flowing. The hotel also attracts some very large groups and there were two at the same time we were there (80 in a wedding party from Canada and at least 100 students from Spain. When a Spain v Canada game got going It nearly get out of hand at one stage and even though the signs were there the entertainment staff and bar staff failed to recognize this, continuing to whip up the 'players;.Family groups were leaving the area and it was only the intervention of guests that calmed the situation down.

Don't want to seem overly critical as we generally had a great time in a lovely resort - First Choice reps were great and run some great excursions, especially Chichen Itza.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MickReynolds
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We don't normally write reviews but felt we had to after a fantastic holiday at the Grand Sirenis. This was our first trip to Mexico and hopefully wont be the last. The hotel is very impressive from the outside and this continues into the reception area and down to the tequila / lobby bar. The grounds are immaculately kept and are home to numerous animals and birds which can be seen and heard throughout the day and night. The rooms were very spacious, clean and comfortable although they are a little dated, however we don't go on holiday to sit in the room and watch t.v. or use the internet, we go on holiday to get away from these things. The beach is lovely and has something for everyone, the snorkelling is great and me an my 13 year old son even did the discover scuba diving with the guys from the dive centre on the beach, which was a truly amazing experience. The service provided by everyone was first class, they all work so hard, and for long hours, but they always manage a smile and a hola which makes a difference. Its just a shame some people think a dollar gives them the right to talk to bar / waiting staff like dirt and forget their manners, this just seemed to be a small number of older Canadians so could be a generational thing. The shows were good and the theatre fills up early, they even have stalls selling Mexican goods a couple of times a week at the back of the theatre which was a nice touch. The buffet was good and varied with a different theme every night, and the a la carte restaurants were very good especially the Brazilian and the show the chef puts on in the Japanese is something else. We visited Xcaret and Xel-ha which are good value and worth visiting as you will be able to see and do things you can't do anywhere else, again me and my 13 year old son swam with sharks at Xcaret which was unbelievable. I would definitely return to the Sirenis and will be recommending this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Fosterfamily91
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Service and drinks and drinks were great. Food was a little bland and unoriginal. Leydi is a waitress on the beach and she is the best waitress I've ever had at a resort. The beach was beautiful and snorkeling was great. The rooms were huge and very clean, like the rest of the resort. The resort is big and takes a little time to get places but they have trollies. All the staff was very kind and a great laugh. Overall a decent trip but I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We traveled to the Grand Sirenis on January 22 \ 29, 2014. As this was my first time going south and staying at an all-inclusive I had no idea what to expect. After a bit of a long drive (1 hour and 20 minutes or so) we arrived at the hotel. We checked into the hotel fairly quickly although there were only a few groups of people when we arrived later in the evening due to some flight issues. The main lobby was vast and open and was very beautiful. Seeing smoking indoors was a bit unexpected, but was never an issues for us. The room was much more than I had expected, very big and clean. The bathroom was great with a large jacuzzi tub and separate shower. It opened into the room with a large opening so it wasn't very private but we enjoyed the openness of it. Perhaps an issue for some I suppose. We had a king size bed and a nice sitting area. This hotel is extremely beautiful and while there were a few places where some work may have been required (like the missing bars in the walkway from the steak house and the theater, safety hazard for sure!), we were happy with our decision to stay there.

We enjoyed the food very much at the buffet. There was a wide selection at all meals and the service was great for the most part. There was lots of Mexican dishes as well as various other styles of food. My 7 year daughter who is very picky was able to find something to eat at every meal which was something we were worried about when we went. We ate at the Cajun and the Japanese al a carte restaurants and were very happy with the food and the service. The 3rd al a carte we went to, the Steak house, was only average. We were expecting to have a good steak here, but found the steak from the Cajun restaurant much better. Overall though we felt the food was great and always left our meals full and happy! The drinks at all the bars were great as well! Lots of variety!

The beach was excellent and we were able to get some nice snorkeling. We saw many types of fish and even a few turtles. The water for the most part was calm and our daughter had no issues swimming here. The beach furniture was good and we never had any issues finding a spot at any time of day.

The pool area was nice and the pool bar was always fun. Lots of seating there as well. There is a bit of a wait for drinks if you are sitting on the side of the pool, but the pool bar service was great.

The entertainment here was excellent and we all looked forward to it every night. The staff at the pool during the day always had the party rocking and the shows in the evening at the theater were great. Our daughter had a great time every night with Pamela and Rodolfo at the mini disco who made sure all the kids had a great time. She also enjoyed her time with them at the kid’s club as well.

We went on a few excursions while we were there. One to Xel-ha where we swam with the dolphins and enjoyed a great day there. Although there was a lot of walking, the snorkeling was great with a lot of marine life and our experience with the dolphins was incredible. It was an expensive trip, but worth it in our eyes. We also went to Akumal to swim with the turtles and visited some of the cenotes as part of that tour as well. The tour operator and her staff were great and the professional photographer provide a CD with pictures from the day for $25. We also took a “free” shopping tour into Playa de Carmen which included an hour in a jewelry factory. More of a sales trip for the factory, but we got free transportation into town so we endured. We got to see some very interesting pieces of Mexican art there though and spent a couple of hours of shopping in town after that.

Overall, we can’t really say anything bad about our trip to Mexico and the Grand Sirenis is a beautiful hotel. The food was great, the entertainment for both adult and children were excellent and the staff was friendly and made us feel very welcome and safe. As this was my first all-inclusive, I can’t really say if this hotel is a 4 star or a 5 star as some people have stated here, but my family had a 5 star vacation here and we will be going back again at some point in the future!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1709, which was on the first floor. The location of this room was great, close to everything. The beach, pool, main lobby and theater were all within 5 minutes walking distance. it was a little noisy in the morning, but that wasn't a big deal for us.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family