“4 star resort 5 star vacation.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Red Deer, Canada
“4 star resort 5 star vacation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the grand sirenis from February 22-March 1 we traveled with sunquest and I have to say we really enjoyed our stay! But really, what's there to complain about when you have great food, great drinks and beautiful sunshine!
I'll start this review off with the negatives only because there were very few. The only thing that I really didn't like about this resort was how boring the main lobby was. I understand that not everybody wants a party atmosphere but I felt like they should have it a bit more up beat. There is live entertainment in the lobby bar but sometimes it was just a girl singing really slow songs that made you want to go to bed, they really need to get some fun Mexican music playing that gets people in mood! The resort does need a bit of a facelift but that should have no effect on your trip. Yes it's true, you do have to pay for your safe. I find this to be absolutely ridiculous!!! I wasn't shocked by it because I read about it before I went there so I knew we would have to pay for it, but I'm putting it in here so that perhaps they will read enough complaints about it and change their policy. Our air conditioning wasn't working so our room was HOT! Our room wasn't stocked when we wanted it to be, this was annoying for me because we never had a full bottle of water! I need lots of water so this was a bit frustrating for me. The negatives are all pretty minor. Now for the positives..
BEACH: this is a great beach! And I'm a beach bum! There is a side that has more rocks because this is a beach that has a lot of snorkeling! The other side that is closer to the beach bar is a much less rockier side. We saw 2 turtles, sting rays and tons of fish! Its fantastic if you like to snorkel. But all in all there is decent sand, beautiful clear water for swimming and snorkeling. If you read trip advisor before you come to this resort you will know what the beach is like. If you want miles of white sand with no rocks go somewhere else.
FOOD: I found the food to be great for a resort. Yes the Buffett has generally the same thing but always a variety to choose from. Al la carte- Japanese was my personal favourite wasn't a huge fan of the steakhouse because it was like a Buffett, you got your own salads and dessert and they only serve your steak and potato. Sunquest has a special beach BBQ for their customers and that was a great dinner! Guys don't have to wear long pants and it's right on the beach! Very nice.
SERVICE: what can I say, service here is fantastic! The girls that serve the beach and pool are amazing! They work so hard in that blazing heat. The bartenders are so awesome!! A shout out to Daniel, he was working the beach bar during the beach BBQ and he has many bar tricks up his sleeve lol! Needless to say my husband and I stumbled home after meeting Daniel.
ROOMS: The rooms are nice and big! I do have to agree with some of the other complaints on the bathroom situation lol! I was with my husband so not a real big deal to only have a glass window separating the bathroom from the room but if you were a new couple or not even a couple it would bother me. It is very loud if people are outside your door because it echoes but again minor. They need to change the curtains and the decorative pillows because they are starting to smell due to humidity, probably shouldn't have decorative pillows that they can't wash.
RESORT SIZE: yes this is a big resort and you know it's a big resort before you come here so why do you complain about it?! Lol! These are the most lush beautiful grounds I have seen on a resort. There's paths that run all through the jungle, my husband and I seen wild monkeys jumping through the trees, plenty of exotic birds, raccoons and a couple other critters that I don't know. The resort at night is beautiful with all the lights shining through the trees, it's so nice to take a walk through the grounds after you have had a big dinner.
SPA: did the water treatment and had a body wrap ( sunquest gets 15%off spa treatments)
It was a great way to end our stay!
All in all this is a great resort for families people who like to snorkel or people that want to just have a relaxing holiday.if you are someone that wants to party a little bit or someone that doesn't want to walk much perhaps you should try a different resort.
I hope this helps!
Cheers!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1102. This is right by the main pool and the main lobby. Great location!!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank kerisosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,664)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I just got back from this amazing trip early this morning. This was our first trip ever to any warm tropical paradise. It took us 6 yrs to experience something like this. We stayed here from Feb 27th to March 6th.

We booked this trip via recommendation from Marlin Travel, it was booked through Westjet Vacations. The Westjet crew were excellent on the plane and we're not disappointed with their services. I will definitely fly with Westjet again in the future. On that note, when we arrived at the Cancun airport, we were greeted by very efficient Westjet representatives, they were very friendly, accommodating and efficient. They helped make our anxieties subside and we relaxed a lot. We were escorted right to their Best Day shuttle and then we were on our way to the Grand Sirenis Resort which is approximately 90 km out of Cancun.

On arrival to this resort, we were greeted by very friendly staff, made us feel welcome and very comfortable. Check in was fairly quick and efficient and was able to upgrade to an ocean front room immediately. We were placed on the 3rd floor of the Naab building, excellent location on the resort which was pretty well central to all the facilities on the resort. Our room was very clean and well stocked with everything we needed. This is where I saw the infamous hole in the wall between the beds and washroom. Thankfully there was a door to the toilet area and the shower. Our view from our room was amazing. The maid service was really good for most part except for one day when we ended up with one cranky one. Thank god for our concierge. We addressed our few issues to them and they were very prompt in getting us the things we needed. Needless to say, that maid had received 40 pesos from us that morning and she as far as I was concerned, did not deserve it. The rest of the days, the other housekeepers did an excellent job. Always greeted with a hola and smiles. (Only complaint I had was the bed was hard and flat pillows, but we dealt with it)

Our concierge were very good. They helped you when you needed it, always phoned up to our room to make sure all was well, (which usually always was.). We had no problems booking our a'la carts the next morning after check in through the concierge and got all of the three days we wanted. They always greeted us with hellos and smiles.

The resort was beautiful. Well laid out, lots of services, landscape was incredible, decent walking paths, didn't see much for wildlife except for birds, iguanas, raccoons and some kind of rat thing with a bunny back end. I was told there were all kinds of wildlife there, but I wasn't about to make that a deal breaker. The facilities were super clean, only concern were the slippery floors in the main lobby and reception area. There were staff working around the clock keeping things clean but they were always friendly and smiling.

The buffets were good too. Lots to choose from, although not always was the food hot. I have a very sensitive stomach, but surprisingly enough, I didn't have any stomach issues while I was there. The waiters and waitresses were really awesome, they were very quick and prompt to serve your beverages and making sure you had everything you needed. They were always quick to clear off tables and reset them. Very efficient. I fell in love with one waitress, her name was Aracelis and as she got to know us, she was always there to assist us and serve us with a smile and laughter, in both the restaurant and lounges as well as the theatre. I'm going to miss her as well as one particular waiter whom treated us with just the same manners. I can see him but sadly, I can't remember his name. I thank them both for how special they treated us.

A'la Cartes, well, the restaurants were very nice and very clean, the service was excellent. Unfortunately, we didn't feel the same way about the food. The El Rancho Steakhouse was the first one we visited, my husband ordered the T-bone well done and I ordered the Filet Mignon, med- well and we both had tough steaks and lots of gristle and fairly tasteless. This is one we won't be going back too. Second night, the Italian, I can say this one wasn't too bad and the last one was the Brazilian one and we weren't impressed with that one either, but everyone has their own preferences and tastes. As they say, you don't know till you try it out for yourself.

As for the pools and beach, all 3 pools were very nice, well kept, clean and the bartenders at the swim up bars as well as the poolside waitresses were excellent, very quick, efficient and service with a smile, no complaints there. Only downside to the pools, not that they were really lacking pool loungers, but the fact remains that if you don't get out to the pool before 8-8:30 in the am, you will not get your pool loungers for the day, same goes for the beaches.

The beaches were ok, one beach, the busier one, was very rocky. The water was gorgeous, warm and inviting, and the sand wasn't the white, luxurious sand I expected, but heck, it sure beats the water and sand here on our beaches. There's a little quieter beach just a little ways down from the main beach and we liked that one, it's a bit smaller but way less rocky, this is the one we frequented.

The entertainment was great, we only took in 2 full shows and watched a bit of the other. We saw Grease, the Rock Show and a little bit of the Lion King Show. Was very impressed with what we saw and the staff of the resort performs in them. They are very amazing, talented, people. Awesome job by all the entertainment staff.

We booked our excursions with our Best Day representatives and they were amazing as well, very organized and efficient again. They go all out to make sure you're safe and comfortable and took very good care of you every step of the way going and coming back from your tours, and making sure you arrived back at your resort. Thanks Best Day!

One more topic, unless this is your thing, don't get rooked into being randomly selected to go on a VIP tour. Thinking there was a language barrier here. I was one of those "random" ones to be selected. Upon booking a time to go on this "tour" , I received from the concierge a little gift pack from the "premium Travellers Club" which was ok, after completing this 90 min tour, I was issued a certificate for a free couples' water therapy treatment and a couples massage (which we took advantage of and it was awesome) and a free hat and t- shirt combo from the gift shop, which I also took advantage of.

What it is, you will receive a free gourmet breakfast in one of their "fancier" restaurants, and at this time you are joined by, well a salesman that tries and sells you a vacation block, not a timeshare, we were unaware of this at the time, and by this time we were in it too deep, so we had no choice but to finish this adventure with him, but once we knew what was going on, we already decided that our answer in the end will be a firm "no". The breakfast wasn't the greatest, either. We did not get a tour of the resort as promised, where we ended up was at the VIP executive suites which we viewed, mind you, they were gorgeous, also, these VIPs also have their own roped off areas of the beach and pool, as well as their own private lounges and in the common areas of the hotel lounge part, we encountered a few "VIPs" and boy, were they snooty, better than God themselves, I don't care for people like that and I don't ever intend to be mingled in with them, either. Finally, after viewing these suites, we were shuttled back to their sales office and the rest is history. But, like I said, it was nice to get those freebies after over 90 min of my time. Bottom line is, if you don't want anything to do with this, just tell your concierge politely that you are not interested and all will be left alone.

In summary, I had a wonderful experience and an amazing vacation at the Grand Sirenis Resort and Spa, and my husband and I are already planning on coming back here in the near future. People just need to have an open mind and don't let all the negatives get to you. I read the reviews too and was skeptical, but as I said earlier, each to their own, and you'll never know till you try it, this resort may not be for everyone, but that's their choice

Room Tip: I was in the Naab building and in my opinion, it's one if the most centrally located for all aro...
1 Thank mdnght12001
Ancaster, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

. The food was amazing. the service was beyond excellent.Randy Gerardo was an excellent server in the main buffet while Marlene and Fabian who were our concierge , went above and beyond to be sure we were satisfied and comfortable. The resort is so big with many guests but you never felt crowded. The nightly entertainment was spectacular as well. Will definately consider going back.One thing I may suggest is to have a variety of music at the disco for people over the age of 40 or 50. Other than that , we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: if you want king size bed, request it. we got there and got 2 double beds. would have preferred king...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank catherine s
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

So first I want to start by saying that my Girlfriend and I are fairly well traveled when it comes to All Inclusive resorts. In the last year we've been to Cuba, Costa Rica and Mexico. We are 28 and 27 year old Professionals. We always book 4 star + hotels but also look for good deals (So we understand there are going to be some negatives, so we are pretty relaxed. After all you're in paradise). I always read the reviews on trip advisor, and always know there are going to be some people who think the worst of everything, and those who are easily amused. I can tell you that I saw BOTH sides of the story for this place. The first 3 days of my vacation I would have rated this resort 1 and would never have recommended it to friends. The last 4 days it seemed like we were at a totally different resort and I would tell my closest friends to come. Most of this was a result of the room we received which I will explain.

Upon arriving to the hotel it was late 10:30pm and we hadn't really eaten since lunch so we were anxious to get to the room and get something to eat. We came with Air Canada and there were only 2 other couples coming to our resort. It took probably 20 minutes each couple to get checked in which wasn't great. When we got to the desk finally we asked for a room not on the bottom floor (my girlfriend doesn't feel safe on the bottom floor). They told us they were full and could not accommodate that request - but if we came back tomorrow they could move us. We were totally fine with that, as I said we try to be easy going and I know at that time of night in late February the hotel was probably full. We get to our room finally and it smelled really musty, moldy and was very damp (Room 1114 if you get this room - run). Nothing matched the pictures and reviews I read. Old CRT TV, no soap or shampoo dispenser in the shower (had been ripped off but labels were still on the wall), no robes or slippers, it wasn't the cleanest, the sink wouldn't drain, etc.. We tried to shrug this off thinking "we're moving tomorrow no problem" - or so we thought.

The next day we went early before the beach to try and switch, again they told us "Sorry we are full, but we will write your name down to be moved tomorrow". The next day we came back again and saw our name on the list but told us once again "I'll write your name down for tomorrow" - at this point we were starting to get angry - whats the point in writing our name down if you don't actually use the list? we got no where and tried to make the best of everything. Finally we got our Air Canada rep to accompany us there and they told us if we come back at 3pm they would move us to the third floor of a different building. Perfect. After enjoying the pool and beach we went back to check and sure enough our room was ready. We headed back to 1114 to pack up - only problem was they had moved all of our belongings including loose items without telling us (not even the bellboy who came with us knew, he didn't believe us). This made us nervous but at least we used the safe and all our important stuff was still in there (The safe will cost you 40 dollars by the way. don't cheap out on this).

We get to the new room and it's a like a completely different hotel. They have trip advisor cards on the bed asking for reviews (funny they didn't put these in the bad room), all the necessities and no musty smell (new room was 1734 and perfect location to everything). Our ONLY complaint about this room is the WiFi I paid 50 dollars for didn't work here so I had to run down two building to 1500 whenever I wanted internet and sat in the hall. But I'm okay with that - we just need to check work emails once a day to keep up.

Now the good:
We absolutely loved the hotel after this point. it's too bad we didn't get a room like this to start.
The snorkeling on the beach is amazing, we snorkeled with 5 sea turtles for hours on ends.
The Lazy river and Ice Cream parlor was a once a day stop (minimum).
The coffee shop we always got a nice Iced Coffee with Baileys.
The show - some of them are REALLY good. Like I've never seen before at a resort. Acrobats hanging from ribbons, live bands, crazy hi-tech effects.
All the bars were easy to get drinks and staff was always really friendly (with our front desk problems excluded)
Location was great - we went to Tulum and Xcel-ha which is only 15 minutes away
Pools are great and I loved playing Tequila Volley Ball everyday at 3:00pm
The resort is well groomed and enough modern feel to it. Well maintained.
Good Cocktail menu.
Japanese restaurant is Amazing but book it RIGHT when you arrive. We did and luckily we got an 8:30pm opening on the last day we were there. They make everything right in front of you.
Mini Bar is stocked every day and room service is available if you need a late night stack.

The So-So/Tips:
Finding a pool chair is difficult any time after say 9:30 if you want shade. The beach is easier but you'll be far back, like a 4 minute walk to the water, but we learned that after day one. People try to use rocks and random items to reserve chairs too - towels are one thing, but a rock doesn't work - sorry.
I never get sick from food but had a really rough morning after eating at the Mediterranean restaurant (I had the Lamb) but who knows what it was.
We tried to order alcohols from the bottle, since they have "Pop Spouts" for the common alcohols like Rum, Vodka, etc. Seamed really watered down.
Disco is REALLY far - but they do have trains running. I went one night and it was empty but I don't think you go to the Mayan Rivera to Party - go to Cancun if you want that.
Some of the nicest areas are reserved off for "Sirenis Premium Club" which I assume is the time share folks. Not once did we get asked to attend a timeshare meeting. I was all prepared but nothing.

I think that's it. Overall the Vacation was good and we had a great time. I just wish the front desk was more helpful when we needed it.

Would I got back? no, but we like exploring new places.

Room Tip: Higher floor seems to be better
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Will N
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this beautiful resort. We were there for 11 nights. The hotel is environmentally friendly by recycling their glasses ..love that. The wine was not to our liking but management offered us an option that was reasonably priced which was great. The grounds are magnificent, the beach amazing and you can see sea turtles while snorkeling right off the hotel's beach. Everything was perfect but as of next year the dolphin aquarium that they were fervently working on will be up and running ...right by the sea ..just a fin away from freedom for these wonderful mammals. I don't understand why..with all the already existing dolphins in captivity in the Riviera Maya would the Grand Sirenis think that this is a good idea. I, for one, will never go back just because of that.

5 Thank dundaserik
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

My Husband and I have just recently got back from our honeymoon where we spent 11 nights at the Grand Sirenis Hotel. We thought it was amazing!
Firstly the resort in general is clean, modern, spacious and well maintained. It is quite a big resort which meant it never felt busy but was still easy to get around. There are 3 large pools which are all great, 2 of which have swim up bars. There's also a lazy river which was cool, and nice to mix it up. I cannot express enough how clean everything was...for example, the pool was cleaned by somebody everyday which included scrubbing every inch of the tiles in the morning wearing a snorkel!

Our room was brilliant. We were on the ground floor with the balcony overlooking one of the pools, we felt we couldn't have been better placed as it was only literally 2 minutes to walk to the beach too. We had a king size bed, double Jacuzzi bath, large shower and the décor was nice. Every day the room was swept, mopped, fresh sheets, fresh towels and mini bar replenished.

The beach was truly beautiful. Lovely warm blue sea, nice sand and plenty of fish around. The hotel do a great drinks service...at the beach, by the pool or even sat near the bar...servers will regularly come by ask what you'd like to drink and get it from the bar for you. This was nice :-)
At the beach there is also a snack bar and BBQ every day.

We thought the food was brilliant! Every day we thoroughly enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner. The main buffet restaurant was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but there were also other restaurants open for a smaller breakfast and lunch buffet by the pools. This was great as it meant you could have a change of scenery and if you were having a pool day and didn't really want to go to the main lobby you can just put your shorts on and go get some lunch 30 seconds away. We thought the buffet was superb. There was always a huge variety of foods and everything was very fresh (I'm open to try new foods but can be quite fussy with freshness but nothing bothered me). Fresh pastries, bread, salad, meats, smoothies, juices, yoghurts, fruit...etc etc. There were always chefs to cook things to order...for example omelettes for breakfast how you like, pasta dishes cooked to order, steaks and more.
The a la carte restaurants were also good. Very nicely decorated and smart restaurant feel. We found in some of them it very much depends on what you order...for example the steak house - my husband had a T-bone steak but it wasn't very impressive, however I had a fillet steak (which in my opinion is the best steak you can order) and it was SO good. We also did the Mexican, Cajun, Italian and Mediterranean restaurants which we thought were all very good.

With regards to things to do, there is plenty! We went with Thomson/First Choice who were great, the reps were always there and very friendly & helpful. They do loads of excursions- the only one we did due to not wanting to spend much money was the organised bar crawl. We were so glad we did it. It was $84 (American dollars) per person. That included transport to Playa Del Carmen, entrance into 3 clubs, VIP treatment, drinks, shots and then entrance into Coco Bongo's. We finished up at 1.30am and got a coach back. It was a great night out.
The other things we did was a spa package at the resort which was lovely (not particularly cheap though) and we also hired a jet ski on the resort beach. It was $65 for me and my husband to go out on 1 jet ski for 30 minutes. It was soooo much fun. You can also snorkel and use a pedalo for free (the resort lend them out on the beach).

Other little touches we liked - there's a games room where you can play American pool, live singer at the bar in the evenings, coffee shop and ice cream bar open all day (all inclusive).

Finally the staff were very friendly, efficient and hard working. Used plates removed straight away, drinks topped up as soon as you're finished and always friendly.

Our only 2 complaints- you have to pay 300 pesos a week for the room safe (top tip, if you're staying for more than 1 week, only buy the safe for 1 week- it lasts the whole time). And also WIFI is not included. This was a shame however we were lucky enough to use the travel reps' iPad every other day for 10 minutes just to send a couple of messages.

Overall we feel this hotel is great and ideal for anyone wanting to experience a relaxing and interesting stay in Mexico.

Room Tip: We were room 2901 if that helps
6 Thank JC8690
Vanderhoof, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have been here before and will go many times in the future. A little piece of paradise. Great seculsion and wonderful staff. Karen one of the beach beverage staff was amazing and we will look for her next time. Lots of good food, great rooms and tons of walking paths. Our favourite restaurants were the Mediterranean, Japanese and Brazillian. Great place for good R & R

Room Tip: Use the excursion offered to book your to and from. Great value for return trips to airport.
1 Thank Hobocreek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,826 reviews
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!