“Grand Sirenis”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Very good resort and very friendly staff! Everything is clean. The only negative point is the beach which is small and the chairs are old so sometimes it's not confortable. But there are waiters for the drinks, you don't have to move at all if you wish...

1  Thank Diane B

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Just got back from a 14 night stay at the Grand Sirenis, making it our 2nd stay in Mexico but first time with the children who are 9 and 8 years old.

The resort is huge with beautiful gardens and possibly the best beach we've been on in Mexico. Overall we had a great holiday and it was an adventure for our kids who have never travelled to a resort like this before. Specifically our feedback is as follows:

Standard of Rooms:

For a 5* Resort I would say this was one of the most disappointing aspects of our stay. Having stayed at many 5* locations I would say the quality of the rooms was average at best. Specifically, we were sharing with 2 children and as such the two beds in the room were very small (no bigger than 3/4 size) and weren't very comfortable to sleep in. Additionally, the room smelt stale when we arrived and there was a funny smell coming from the toilet which gave the impression it just wasn't very clean. The hot tub in the room was also difficult to get to function correctly as the controls were damaged.

None of this spoilt our holiday and the room was fine overall it just didn't meet our expectations of what I've had in other 5* resorts.

Kids Club:

Pamela and Rudolpho run the kids club and they do a great job of it. The kids club was a key part of our holiday as we wanted our girls to meet other children and to also get involved in the various activities. I can say we weren't disappointed and neither were our girls who had a great time.

Pamela is great with the kids as she has a very engaging friendly style and we were very happy with the service. Our youngest daughter developed a great relationship with Pamela and I know that she will miss seeing her.

Pamela also organised evening disco with the kids which our eldest daughter loved and was great fun.

Sometimes it is difficult to get the balance right for all children and our kids were sometimes disappointed that they didn't get to do the things which were planned on the weekly timetable. This wasn't really a big deal in the end but I think our kids would have liked a little more structure to the activities.

Overall, this is a great kids club and I would highly recommend it mostly to the credit of Pamela who was super!

Food, Drink, Choice of Restaurants etc:

There are two buffets (serving same food!) and 7 restaurants at the resort all of which offer good choice and quality of food. The best restaurants are the Japanese and the Brazilian where the quality of food was exceptional.

Level of service is very high. All the waiters are friendly and can't do enough to help. We had one waiter called Hipolito at the buffet restaurant who was exceptional - don't think my glass was ever empty :-)

The reservation system for the restaurants needs some improvement in our view. It was only possible to visit the restaurants 3 times per week and they had to be booked in advance often with nothing available for 2-3 days so if you're not organised likely to miss out on the best restaurants. Equally there are only two sittings in the restaurants at either 8 or 8.30 and they're never more than 50% booked at any time. This wasn't an issue for us but it felt a bit restrictive and we would have liked to have gone back to the Japanese which was simply fab!

Overall the quality and choice of the food was impressive. The kids loved the ice cream parlour, there is a coffee shop and a snack bar on the beach serving bbq style food. The kids also loved the choice of drinks available as they had a wide range of non alcholic cocktails each day.

Daily Entertainment:

The Entertainment Team are a real credit to the resort. Every day there were activities and the team were exceptionally friendly, funny and good fun to be around. Each day you can get involved in water polo, volleyball, drinking games, dancing etc etc....there is really no shortage of daily entertainment and we really enjoyed this aspect to our holiday.

The converse to this is that 2 of the pools tend to be fairly noisy each day so if you want peace and quiet better off going to the main pool.

One of the main guys at our pool area was Beto. He was relentless at trying to get people involved in the activities, was great fun to be with / around. My youngest daughter who is 7 loved him and I know she will miss him! He was great with the kids, couldn't ask for more really - very impressed!

Evening Entertainment:

Each evening the team put on a show at 9.30pm. Overall our view was that it was generally poor. Reasons for this are:

- The shows are run in the Theatre which must hold a few hundred seats (its huge). Problem was at best it was only ever 1/3 full and it lacked atmosphere which I think took something away from what the team were trying to achieve.

- The choice of shows needs some work in our view. They just weren't that interesting or engaging so we lost interest very quickly. For example the Alice in Wonderland show was dull and the sound quality was particularly poor.

In some respects I think the team are trying to hard and they need to go back to the basics a bit more. For us more shows on Mexican culture etc would have been better. I didn't go to Mexico to see renditions of the Lion King, Broadway, Chicago etc....they simply didn't work for us. Equally they were on quite late so difficult to keep the kids up that late.

The exception to this was the "mime show" the team did towards the end of our stay. Having got to know quite a few of the entertainment team at this time (as it was towards the end of our stay). It was very funny and we really enjoyed it. The kids also loved it and can't remember last time I heard them laugh so much...

Facilities:

Overall the facilities are excellent. The pools are lovely, spacious offering choice each day for where we wanted to hang out. The sun loungers are good and never had any issues in getting a bed etc. Can't really fault anything!

The kids loved the "lazy river" sitting on a tube going around the resort all day. This is a great feature for the kids who made full use of it.

We didn't use the dive centre so can't really comment. There are some watersport activities on the beach but would say this is fairly limited to some jet skis, canoes etc. No sailing of any kind!

There are two tennis courts - which look old and need refurbishing. There is also a 5 a side football pitch adjacent to them. There are daily sports activities at the Sports Centre however we didn't partake in most of them. You can also do a cycle tour from the centre however it looked pretty dull so we gave it a miss.....overall I think the Sports Centre is lacking its potential and more needs to be done to get people involved, interested in the activities available.

There is a Spa at the resort and a good gym - one of the best resort gym's we have used. Staff at the Spa are excellent ans we made use of the water treatment they had on offer which was great fun. The facilities at the Spa are excellent and we'd highly recommend it. My only criticism is that it can be a bit functional, like a production line of people in getting massages etc etc. Not a big deal but certainly had this feeling when we were there.

Choice of Bars etc:

This for us was a bit of a let down. For drinking in the evening the only real option outside of the restaurants is to socialise in the lobby bas of which there are two. The problem with this is that the lobby area lacks any real atmosphere as they're so vast.

What I think the resort lacks is a beach venue for a few drinks at the end of each day where people can mingle etc. They do have a beach party once a week which was great and they need to do more events like this because the resort likes a bit of soul in the evenings.

Overall, we had a great time in Mexcio but I wouldn't go back to the Grand Sirenis. It was fantastic for the kids but just lacked a bit of quality and didn't meet some of our expectations. I would rate it more as a 4* Resort. If you plan to go with kids then you can't really go wrong but I would never go here as a couple or on my own......way too dull in the evenings!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike G
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Well like most things if it seems like a cheap place is because it is. I do not recommend this hotel for its curb appeal, food or the people that work here. Unfortunately it was very disappointing. The rude people were the ones we got to meet at the door and while checking in. Two thumbs down!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Dbijou
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This review is from our trip there in May 2012 and I will be brief, as time has dulled all but our more memorable (pleasing) experiences of the resort.

The lazy river is a gem. I cannot state this enough - my friends and I made abundant use of this delightful feature and it is something to which I compared other resorts at which we stayed (Grand Sunset Princess) and plan to stay (Grand Bahia Principe Tulum).

The restaurants were, on the hole, exquisite and entertaining. I still get the meat sweats when I dream of the "La Gira Rodizio" Brazilian restaurant, my favorite by far - a cut above, to pun.

The architecture of the place is truly grand. Large open air lobbies. Each building reminding me of a science fiction ship with different decks (levels). Our second floor room with balcony was the perfect retreat after too much rum and sun, free from the habitual crawly things that I have experienced at other ground-floor dwellings.

The feel of the place is modern, yet reclusive. There is a sizable walk from the main lobbies to the rooms, but you can catch a lift if you need. The pools weave their way through tropical foliage along the way, emptying out in random yet tranquil pockets.

The juice bars were fantastic, and a welcome healthy reprieve from the abuse of indulgence. The coffee bars were even better, and before long my coffees were as in my dreams; Irish.

If I have one complaint about the resort it would be the lack-lustre beach. Fine for a stroll and decent enough for snorkeling, but really not the long stretch of soft sand I'd hoped for. Still, it being a cove provided small shelter from the strong winds that blasted the shoreline while we were there.

Compared to the Grand Sunset, the features at Sirenis exceeded that which we experienced. However, in terms of layout and overall zen feeling (something I seek at these places), the Sunset's promenade, many pools, small lagoons, and open-air courtyard made for a more peaceable experience (at the expense of the great food, lazy river and juice bars at Sirenis).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pennythoughtsNL
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My fiancee and I arrived on 31st Dec 2013 for 2 weeks holiday. I became anxious after we'd booked after reading some of the reviews and to be honest some of the points are correct. The beds aren't great, they could do with new ones and we did find 1 cockroach,,but that's it. We found all the staff were lovely really friendly,,you would never pass one without them saying 'Ola'. The lobby bar staff are fantastic they work so hard but stay away from the 'Chocolate Martini's',,yikes! The food in the buffet restaurants (especially the New Years Eve Gala) was brilliant, ok at the end of 2 weeks it starts to become a bit of the same but you could always find something to eat. We tried the Cajun, Japanese, Steak House and Brazillian restaurants and the only 1 I wasn't keen on was the Cajun the rest were great. Service was good and the food hot. Our cleaner was lovely, although we only met her once, she left us towel art every night and re-stocked our mini bar if we'd use anything. Our concierge was also really helpful, they did ask us for the 'time share breakfast' but we politely said no thanks and they were fine with this,, they also asked us on 3 seperate occasions if the room was fine and could they do anything for us.
Yes the beach does have rocks in it but there are sandy parts you can walk through, and the beach waitresses are brilliant.
We saw 3 shows whilst we were there and they were fantastic, the entertainment team do work so hard.
We booked 1 tour through Thomson and the reps were great, very informative and helpful.
We stayed in Naab room 2963 and have no complaints at all, the room was large, clean and had a lovely view.
I agree with most of the people who review this hotel it is more of a 4*, but saying that we had a fantastic time in Mexico, the people are amazing and I would definately return.

5  Thank Jan W
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Lobby is huge and impressive. Very clean inside and out. Grounds are very well kept. Pools are great and lazy river great for kids. Beach is beautiful - we fed fish in a foot of water. Crabs in the rocks. Pelican came within feet of us looking for fish. Water is crystal clear although was some swell at times. Food was top notch. Buffets were excellent in there assortment of different food. Papaya was amazing, even has cactus pears one day. Restaurants were also very good. Brazilian was my favourite (man vs meat) for the meat lover - 7 types of meat served on a sword. Coffee house on site was also amazing serving coffee with a shot if you desire, spanish coffee was too die for. Ice Cream shop by beach hotel had kids happy. Bars were all good - beach, pool and lobby. Special shout out to Miguel and Clementino who make the best Mojito's at lobby bar. Kids were getting virgin daquari's all week. Beach grill served burgers and fries also good for the kids. Had VIP access to wifi. Pool (8ball) room was busy. Tiled floors can be slick when wet. Room we had was small but could sleep 6, we were 2 adults and 2 kids. Only real complaint was that the bathroom only has glass partition with gaps to rest of unit making for a lack of privacy. Also when you have early riser the lights and noise wake up everyone else. Mini fridge in room was convenient although had to ask maid for beer. Maid service was very good. Was a little disappointed with the kids club. We were able to leave our 6 yr old there and have some alone time which was great. However the two reps told the kids they would do certain activities and did not, seemed very lazy. The first day the crew had dressed as pirates and had a treasure hunt all over the beach with the kids which was awesome. Not sure what happened to those two pirates, maybe they sailed off? LOL Shows they put on in the theatre were very good. Had a free hydro spa visit which was great. Hot tub was good and steam rooms are amazing. We did go to a one hour presentation...this is of course a mexican hour which is 4 canadian hours in conversion. Although long and we saw many faces trying to sell timeshare at an ever dropping price we still had a good time seeing some of their premium units. Ernesto was our personal concierge and he was super super super nice and not only gave us some great information, but also was very down to earth and friendly. We went to Sirenis in DR last year and were very disappointed and I was very sick for days with stomach issues from something I ate or drank. Obviously I was a little wary to travel to another Sirenis property in Mayan but let me put that to rest. This resort is fantastic. Iguana's are sunbathing everywhere, never a problem with them or with getting a beach or pool side chair. Hotel said they were full for New Years but it never felt crowded. Big property and took 3 days before we did not get lost but everywhere is walkable and not a hike. Shuttle cars travel between buildings too if you have issues with walking. We have been to many other hotels in Mexico and Caribbean and this is one of the best. Maybe only Sandals would compare. I am sure you will have a great time here. I cannot wait to go back. Hopefully sooner than later. Make sure to say Ola to Ernesto, Miguel and Clementino.

Room Tip: Offered beach side room for an extra 370 but declined. We were in 17 building which was close to poo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank red86zed
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at Grand Sirenis from January 3-13, 2014. It was recommended as a 5 star resort by our travel agent and we booked it through West Jet Vacations. We have been to a number of 4 and 5 star resorts in the past and this resort was horrible. I would give it 3 stars at best. We had a lot of issues during our stay and none of them were dealt with appropriate. I will list them in point form below:

1. Safety: We check in the first night and are put into a ground floor room near the entertainment stage. They blasted rock music until around 2am that night. We finally got to sleep and were awakened at 6am by someone banging on our door. The person was yelling that they were housekeeping, which seems bizarre at 6am. I got up to look in the peep hole and the person opened the door and entered our room and started to come towards me. They obviously had a key as the door was dead bolted. My husband yelled at him to get out and upon hearing a male voice, the intruder turned and ran out the door. We tried to call reception, but the phone in our room did not dial out. We then got 2 successive phone calls with no answer at the other line. At 8am we got a call from our West Jet rep and we advised what had happened. He said he would take care of it and get back to us. We waited 2 hours and then at 10:30 went to the front desk. I explained what happened to hotel reception and requested that we be moved immediately. Their response was that I must have been dreaming it because that would never happen at their resort, but they would send someone to look at the locks as the resort was full. It was not full by the way, only about 1/2 capacity. We spent the entire day in the room and no one came to fix the locks. The next night we did not sleep as we were worried there would be another break in. We continued to get the random phone calls, one ring and then a hang up 2, 3, 4, 5am. We eventually unhooked the phone. The next day after 2 nights of no sleep, I became very ill and went back to reception and demanded another room. They were able to accommodate us, but we had to check out of our room at noon and wait in the lobby until 4pm until they had a new room for us. The first 3 days of our holidays were completely ruined. I was so thankful to be with my husband, as the intruder would not have left if there had not been a male in the room.

2. Maintenance issues: a) Random Phone Calls: In the new room, we were also unable to dial out to call reception or anyone else. We continued to get calls at all hours of the night and again disconnected our phones. b) The walkways are in a state of disrepair and we saw people fall on a daily basis, particularly when it is raining c) We came into our room twice to no power. It took 2-5 hours each time for them to send someone to flip the breaker to turn the power back on after repeated requests.

3. Understaffed: The workers, particularly the servers at this resort work very hard, but it is understaffed. Many times when we used the buffet we would eat an entire meal without being offered drinks. There is no water or drink station for you to get your own drinks, so we just ate and left.

4. Food and Drinks are sub-par: They have a large selection, but the drinks taste like chemicals and the food is not up to 4 star Mexican resort standard.

5. Comment cards: Every time you interact with staff at the resort they ask you to complete a comment card. I counted and we would have filled out 14 comment cards by the end of the trip had we filled one out each time it was requested. I did not pay to attend your resort to review it, I paid to relax.

6. Noisy: The resort it poorly designed and the noise echoes through the corridors. The maintenance staff starts gardening at 6am. We never had more than 4 hours sleep per night and were exhausted the whole trip.

There were a number of other minor issues i.e. charging a fee for wifi and the safe which is unusual for 5 star resorts, uncomfortable beds (very stiff) etc. but those were our major concerns.

When you go to a 5 star resort you expect that the basics are done well i.e. clean rooms (they were always clean), good food and good service. The resort is trying to provide to many amenities and has lost touch of the essentials. We inquired about leaving 4 days into our 10 day vacation, but were advised by our West Jet agent that we would not be refunded any money and that we would have to pay extra to switch our flights so we gutted it out.

We spoke to 6 or 7 couples or families on the trip and they all had similar issues (including a break-in). The consensus was that no one would return. Don't book this hotel!

Room Tip: High floor away from the lobby and disco
7  Thank Jaime S