“Tranquil Location - Our 2nd Visit”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Ideal hotel if your looking for some peaceful restful days.... This time we stayed in the Llek complex, room 2722, 2nd floor with sea view... Perfect for early morning sunrises and to listen to the waves washing against the sandy beach.
One of the lobby bars were shut for renovation, only 2 days but it created enough of an impact to cause lengthy queues in the main bar.
Received wonderful service from Erik Romero Meza in the main restaurant. So if u want attentive, friendly, excellent customer service then I suggest asking for this waiter so u can be seated at one of his tables.... He was fantastic!
However I was disappointed to find that second time around we had to pay for the room safe ( last year it was free) and wi-fi in a 5* star hotel.... Also we had a problem with a leak in our room which took 3 days and 2 attempts to fix.
Grounds are well maintained and it is spotlessly clean! Not a great deal to do here if the weather is bad as certain activities are cancelled (archery and shooting) leaving only the bars and snack bars to house you.
Would like to say thanks to Omar from the animation team - Rob is chuffed with his T-Shirt, a prize for hitting the Bulls-Eye in shooting!

4  Thank Deborah F

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Well what can I say, I read the reviews before going out to this hotel and was a little worried.
HOW WRONG WAS I?
Nothing to be worried about at all.
The so so many staff at this resort are all so helpfull and always have a smile on their faces whilst greeting you with a very friendly "Hola"
I went away with my wife, my daughter (16) and my daughters friend (17). We had the most amazing time. The beach is beautiful with waitresses offering to bring you drinks without ever expecting a tip.
Our favourite bar was the Mezcal bar. We had so much fun here with the bar staff Samuel + Amilcar. We had so many good evenings here after watching the show at the theatre. We also met lots of guests that we got on well with and are keeping in touch with them.The atmosphere at this bar is so friendly I also have to point out that Laura the evening waitress at the Mezcal bar is so hard working, she really does not stop (well except for my daughter and her friend to get a picture).
We have only been back home a day and are all so down because we miss the place so much.
1 guess as to where we are going on holiday next year???

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank john_nuneaton
Reviewed October 28, 2013

just home from grand sirenis after 11 brilliant days in Mexico,Choice of food was excellent and the service was brilliant, good choice of a la carte restaurants though you only get to choose four with the all inclusive package, would recommend the Brazillian and the steakhouse, have to admit I was scared to try the Japanese though friends we met rated it very highly. The bar staff and waiters in the hotel work very hard to make sure your glass is always full and they always do it with a smile,the choice of spirits is excellent and although if you just ask for a vodka or a gin you will get the cheep stuff if you want the good stuff just ask it is always behind the bar .. Special mention to Janeth in the tequila bar and Aure at the pool who looked after us for the duration of our holiday. The rooms were the best rooms we have EVER had on a package holiday and the cleaners made sure they were always spotless. The only excursion we done was coco bongos, an absolute must for anyone visiting Mexico, we booked ours with Alfredo one of the entertainment team, who doubles as a ticket seller for the club,he took us into the venue, introduced you to your waiter and checked occasionally to make sure you were happy.. we took the bottle deal, basically that was your transfer to and from the club, your entry, a bottle of spirits of your choice and 5 bottles of whatever mixer you wanted plus a seat a table and a waiter to keep topping up your ice and filling your glass, all this for £130 for the two of us. After all the good points two negatives.... when you are there they will try and get you to upgrade to the premium travellers club this got you access to your own wee bar your own beds at the pool and beach and a couple of couches in the tequila bar, my point is they sell it as 5 star so that should be it ..... the only other point that becomes insignificant when you get there was the travelling time.... 10 hours on a plane and then another hour and a half on a bus but as i say pales into insignificance when you get there... missing our new friends and the complex so much already..... no wonder i am depressed :)

Room Tip: try and get a room in either the 11 building or the 18 building as they are closer to the facilities...
2  Thank paulh808
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just returned from 11 night stay and can say have had a fab chilled holiday. The hotel is spotlessly cleaned by the pool boys, the maids and maintenance guys, also the waitresses round the pool and the evening always on hand 2 fill yr drinks. We ate breakfast and lunch in the el rancho steak house buffet and Rogello caarmel chi (sorry about the spelling) always smiling and really made us feel relaxed and enjoy our holiday even more, fab with the kids. The grounds are being updated, so should take it up 2 the 5* it says. Defo would return in the future, pity about the last 2 days weather :(

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Chrislouisewillcait
Reviewed October 27, 2013

we have had great time in the 10 days we have been here - a great choice of restaurants.
a little disappointed however that we had to pay for wi fi and the safe.
a special mention amilcar and samuel (in the lobby bar) and for majid (our concierge for the first week) ..........

daljit (england)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank daljit2013
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Although I have rated this hotel as Excellent, we Truly had the most Fantastic time at this hotel and yes we would most certainly go back. However, there were areas that could be improved on, but because we had such a Fab time, I couldn't mark this any lower.

Each person that stays here comes away with their own experiances, whether it's good or bad. For example the food. We found the food on the whole to be really good. We loved the buffet and they even served decent white wine, which was to my taste. However, the next persons review could be completely different and as previous reviews have stated, they don't rate the food. It's All Preference!
Al a Cartes were good. Our favourite was The Mediterranean and our young waiter called "Vagalia" Oh my goodness. If you come across him, just embrace his way. He is so funny and made us laugh all the way through our meal. The other person to mention is Miguel who was our breakfast waiter. Exteremely nice guy. Very thoughtful and very attentive. Looked after us very well.

We stayed in Building 29 Naab, the room was great and we had a sea view from the 3rd floor. We had the most loveliest of girls on the concierge desk called Michelle. She was incredibly helpful and very kind. Her male counterpart was Alex. he tried his hardest to sell us the hotels Premium Services and got very upset when I called it "Timeshare". I actually wanted to go, just to have a nosey around, but my hubby was adamant he wasn't going, so they declined my invitation and am not allowed to go as one half of a couple. I understand that they want both decision makers present, but they miss a trick when it's me that makes those kind of decisions out of the two of us. It's me who looks after the finances and it's me who books our holidays!!!
Just a Thought!!! Mind you, we saw 2 other guys on our concierge desk and they all try to sell it to you. I can see how this got too much for some people, but we somehow turned this around and they knew we wouldn't go, so we'd just have a laugh with them and let them keep on trying. (In a nice way).

We travelled with Thomas Cook and we met both reps, Alfie and Terri. We deceided to get some advise and book a couple of trips and we knew his shift finished in half an hour. Well, he couldn't get rid of us quick enough. Think about it and Come back tomorrow". My husband mentioned that that was our cue to leave. The following day we then meet Terri. Oh my goodness...Condiscending, Patronising, like she was reading all her answers to us from a script! Time to change your reps Thomas Cook!

So have to tell you about the beach. This was our favourite part of the resort and yes we were one of those annoying people who would get up at the crack of dawn, literally and put our towels down on our favourite spot! We would sit 2nd row back from the sea, next to the beach bar. It was also the best part of the sea to get into as there are rocks around the rest of the bay. A big Thank you goes out to The Best waitress on the beach called "Magala". She was a little angel who would appear with a Fanta for me and a Beer for Hubby without asking. And these girls did that all day just taking orders and then getting your drink for you, in the 30 degrees heat. Give these girlies a good tip, they deserve it!
We ate a couple of times at the beach bar, but the guy who did the ordering of your food wasn't very helpful and there was a lot of hanging around, no structure! So we use to go to the main buffet, bit of a walk, but it was worth it!

We visited The Spa a couple of times. Lou Ann is the Spa's Concierge and she was very helpful in booking our treatments. It really is a lovely spa and we had our massages in a cobana together on the beach at the spa. Our only complaint was their Chef and Waiter. We walked in for breakfast and got looked at as if we had two heads each. Neither of them said hello, what would you like etc. We had to squeeze out the information and finally got an omlette, which The Face on it ie The Chef. If he could speak english, we think he was going to say "What, you want me to cook you an Omlette???" Come on Sirenis, this is a 5 star hotel right??? Thankfully me and my husband have a sense of humour, we laughed it off!!!

The pools were lovely. We preferred the quiet one. But we only use to go late in the afternoon just to cool off and then we would go and grab a coffee at the coffee house. Great place to sit and watch people feed the various animals on the resort.

The entertainment in the evening was not to our taste. We've been doing All Inclusive holidays all over the caribbean for the last 10 years and it's all much of a muchness. The best show we saw though was The Circus, absolutely brilliant!
This is where I think this hotel lets itself down really badly and that's their lobby bars. Apart from getting a drink in The Theatre, the only other places to sit are the lobby bars. And i'm so sorry, but to me they feel like im sitting in an Airport Lounge. They are souless and have no atmosphere. You have a bar for your Premium guests, but no one was at it and how about somewhere at the beach. Perhaps the beach bar when your not putting on an event??? We would have loved that!!!

Did a few trips...We went to Xplor. One word...Amazing! Did the trip from the beach where you pay $40 to swim with Turtles and yes we did. As well as rays and squid. Brilliant. Went to Playa del Carmen for the evening and did the Spa a couple of times.

A couple of things to know if your from the UK. Bring Mexican Peso's and not dollars. Bring a credit card if you have one. The turtle trip is charged in dollars. Put aside 800 peso's for your departure tax (and yes thats a lot). Bring beach/water shoes. Sports direct were selling them cheap before we came out! The cove is very rocky and if you want to explore these were really handy.

Just before I go, to sum this hotel up, this place is Beautiful. We loved every moment of our holiday and we would most certainly return to this hotel and wonderful country and the wonderful Mexican people. Thank you for making this a memorable holiday.

5  Thank Bunny15
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We would recommend the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya to anyone. The service from the moment you step foot on the property is impeccable. The grounds are well kept, the food is great, the drinks are awesome and the staff are outstanding. We were there the week of October 6st with another couple and all of us agree that this is the best resort we have been to yet.
Positives:

Cleanliness- every area of the resort was spotless. The pool was cleaned daily, our room was always meticulously cleaned, and all the public areas were free of litter.

Food/drink- amazing. We loved going to the El Rancho which was a buffet for breakfast and lunch and transformed to a steak restaurant for dinner. The buffet was almost overwhelming with the variety and how beautifully it was put together. This was not a casino buffet or your local all you can eat. The service was prompt, friendly, and impeccable all thanks to my three favorite waiters Rogello Caamal, Ebraihm and Miguel Deara( hope I got your names right you all deserve the recognition). You can tell that that they love their job and that they have fun doing it all the while being professional. A special thanks also goes to David the chef who was always ready to serve you with a smile. We also had dinner at the Mediterrean, Mexican, Brazilian and Italian restaurant. They were all very generous and good with impeccable service. The bartenders were fantastic as well. The drinks were always fast and always correct, not to mention tasted fabulous.

Comfort- we stayed in the building named Kukulcan. This suited us fine, as it was fantastic. A/C was always cold, the beds were comfy, the TV worked, we had plenty of towels, mini bar was always stocked, we had a gorgeous balcony where we could watch the local animals. We even saw a couple of monkeys. The shower was separate from the tub, and the toilet had its own separate closed in area.

Checking in- super easy. Abraham checked us in and made sure we had everything we needed and made sure we were placed next door to our friends who were also on the trip.

Beach/pool- always clean, pool was nice and warm, beach was beautiful. There are a few rocky areas just beyond the water, so be careful. Plenty of rock free areas to swim. Special thanks to Karen the waitress on the beach who works very hard and who always has a smile.
Spa- My girlfriend went with her friend and had a great time. Special thanks to Lou-Ann who got us a great deal and had all the answers to are questions.

Negatives:

The lobby bars are missing tables and chairs. We often had to wait to find a free table after dinner to have a couple of drinks.

The house wine was bad for a five star hotel.

The supervisors for the waiters during the day are way too serious. I understand that they have a job to do but they could smile once in a while. I even saw one at the beach buffet reprimand one of the waitress in public. First of all, that’s humiliating for the employee and secondly very unprofessional on his part doing it in front of guests.

It's hard not to write a book on how great it all was! We will absolutely be back. Thank you to the entire staff that made our vacation one of our very best.

9  Thank Ian G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#69 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!