“2nd time here!! Great Place”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Toronto, Canada
“2nd time here!! Great Place”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our second visit here. This year we stayed in July 2013. We booked ocean view and booked with Transat. We had a better location next to the beach.

The service is excellent here. We ate at the buffet every night. Our waiter Roberto Carlos Ghable is the best!! He is very polite and friendly. He does an excellent job.

The maid service is very good.

The food was very good. There is a lot of vegetarian food to choose from. So much selection of food to pick from.

The pools are very clean and huge. The lazy river is fun to float around.

We love the beach area. It is a great place to snorkel, lots of fish to see. We took out the Kayak, it was nice to paddle around. Don't forget to take water shoes!

We booked with Dive center for a boat ride to Akumal to snorkel with the turtles.(2nd time) They are really good at showing you all the different fish. We got to hold a starfish.

My boys rented water ski doos for half an hour and had an awesome time.

My husband and I used the spa. The water spa was excellent.

We booked a trip to Xplor. This was a lot of fun. Ziplining, atv, swimming underground caves.

We really love Grand Sirenis. There is so much to do in the Riviera side of Mexico.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Mayan Beach Side (Naab) rooms are close to beach. NIce rooms very quiet. Third floor with oceanveiw...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travellerwithkids3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,805)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was my 1st time in Mexico and I couldn't have had a better time. The room was very nice and big, even my girlfriend who has traveled to Mexico several times was amazed at how nice and big the room was. The staff was friendly and willing to accommodate if there was any problem. The resort itself is huge, almost so that I could easily get lost while walking around. The only thing I didn't find or know if they had were lockers to easily leave stuff. It sucks when you have to leave your room, go all the way to the gift shop, find your way back to your room, then go to one of the many pools or the beach. Overall though, it's a tiny complaint in comparison to all the good. I would definitely go back soon.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nicer views
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My sister and I just came home from a week at the Grand Sirenis. This is a beautiful hotel, but it is massive. They have shuttles to bring you around to the theater, disco, front lobby, spa etc., but we mostly walked. It was about a 10 minute walk from our room to the buffet, however there was a snack bar not far from our room.
The shows were well done, the food was fabulous, and there were plenty of options for my sister who is allergic to dairy and gluten. The staff were all extremely helpful and professional for the most part.
The only time that we had any issue was upon check-out, when just as we were checking out, they informed us that in order to not be charged, we had to go back to our room and get the blue towels they give you for the pool. This was the first we had heard of that rule, and didn't want to miss our bus. Luckily, the concierge was able to check for them and tell them they were indeed in the room.
We will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Allison H
Toronto
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Hotel and location is perfect to do all excursions , But the service is top notch from the all involved at the resort. But what really stood out was the service at the beach especially from the waitress Mireya , She always worked so hard and always looked over at us to see if we needed anything.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor unit as the first floor is elevated.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Solvang, California
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My family just returned from a week vacation at the Grand Sirenis. I celebrated my birthday and was joined by my husband and two sons (ages 13 and 21). We were given the VIP treatment by our concierge Oscar. Dinners every night at the restaurants, access to free WiFi in the VIP lounge, beach party, cocktail party, etc. This special treatment was for RCI members and boy were we wowed! Thank you Oscar and Grand Sirenis. We did not go to the sales meeting/tour and opted to share our solid "no thanks, no thanks, no thanks" over the phone.

I did meet other RCI members on vacation who did go to the meeting and shared the high pressure sales story with much angst? No fun for those folks!

Anyway other than that this hotel is lovely. The food in the buffet is good but is the same every day. The restaurants are OK. If you are a wine enthusiast avoid the red wine here. There must be a storage issue making the wine turn to vinegar. The whites and rose's are OK.

We enjoyed the pools, beach and lazy river. My 21 year old especially enjoyed the pools with the swim up bar offering more fun and action. We spent time when the pools closed at 6:00 pm ( why they close the pools so early is curious to me) in the lobby enjoying a cocktail and meeting new people.

The rooms were comfortable, a slight mildewy smell though. I would assume this would be unavoidable in the tropics? We were honored with two towel creatures by the maids, cute. The wild animals would visit at your balcony for a snack (raccoons, foxish/monkey creature and a small pig/deer type animal) I don't know the scientific names but they're fun to watch. In case management is reading this we promise we did not feed them cheetos and obeyed the "no feed" policy. The iguanas lounging around are neat too.

We had a car rental and made several excursions. Xel ha offered great snorkeling, zip lining, cenote exploring and although pricey is worth the trip. We also went to Coba to climb the Mayan pyramid, beautiful Akumal Beach and Playa del Carmen to shop. One thing which is really annoying is you will get hustled to spend your money EVERYWHERE. Ugghh. Be prepared to haggle if there is something you want. Keep in mind the vendor next door sells it too and you might get it cheaper there. My husband loves to haggle and got a belt down to 40 from 80. 50% discount is usually possible if you want to spend time haggling.

I love the Maya Riviera and would definately go back to the Grand Sirenis unless we are blacklisted for not attending the timeshare presentation!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank djlu
Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I went to stay at this hotel when the power went off at the house we were renting. At check-in I was told since it was after 4pm I would have to pay for the room again and then get hotels.com or my credit card company to reimburse me. I showed her my reservation on my phone which not only showed I had already paid for the room but my confirmation number but again I was told I had to pay for the room. I asked for her Manager and he came over and told me the same thing and that it was not his problem that my power went off and he had no way to get proof of my reservation even though I had proof. He was the Supervisor so again I asked for a Manager and this is when my husband came from our car to see what was taking so long and he was told them same thing and the Manager told him if we have enough money to buy a room for 175 a night we had enough to pay it again. I have never been treated like this at a hotel and have always had my confirmation email accepted all over the world. I tried to email the company online and kept getting a problem with their server so not sure why I was getting that. To me if you run a hotel 24/7 365 days a year then you need a way to get confirmations around the clock as well and not have your reservations office leave at 4pm daily. I posted a picture of the hotel lobby since that was a far as we got, I refused to pay again for a room.

4 Thank DonnaKronmiller
cardiff
Reviewed October 21, 2013

this hotel is great food id say is very good not excellent but there you go,beds are massive rooms are great bath with jacuzzi is a bonus,,,beach is really nice snorkeling is a must bring you own as they are rubbish on the resort,,,jet-ski is @$65 per 30 mins which aint to bad....room service is free on most things i,e club sandwich etc ,,,,free mini bar etc,,,,
BAD POINTS,,,,excursions and massages are expensive its a little far from airport the hotel is too big for my liking but may suit others a lot of walking is involved so be prepared the drinks are water'd down FACT but there are some really nice free cocktails to be drunk the food gets repetative checking in can be a nightmare as its busy here its huge hotel,,,,,,,,,all in all its great holiday and lovely hotel with great people

Room Tip: stay next to main swimming pool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#55 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!