“great hotel and nice area”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
cardiff
“great hotel and nice area”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

this hotel is great food id say is very good not excellent but there you go,beds are massive rooms are great bath with jacuzzi is a bonus,,,beach is really nice snorkeling is a must bring you own as they are rubbish on the resort,,,jet-ski is @$65 per 30 mins which aint to bad....room service is free on most things i,e club sandwich etc ,,,,free mini bar etc,,,,
BAD POINTS,,,,excursions and massages are expensive its a little far from airport the hotel is too big for my liking but may suit others a lot of walking is involved so be prepared the drinks are water'd down FACT but there are some really nice free cocktails to be drunk the food gets repetative checking in can be a nightmare as its busy here its huge hotel,,,,,,,,,all in all its great holiday and lovely hotel with great people

Room Tip: stay next to main swimming pool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,793)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Livonia, Michigan, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Grand Sirenis is now 8 years old. We know that because we came that first year... when they opened, Valerie and I have been back to visit 10 times since!!!!!!!!!! We visit Mexico 4 times a year. We do Cabo in March then we travel to Riviera Maya in Jan, Aug, and October. We always come back to Grand Sirenis at least once a year....We have tried Secrets, Occidental Grand Xcaret, Adventure Spa Palace/Hardrock, Iberostar, Crown Palace, Melia, Krystal, Omni, Dreams, RIU, and others and find Grand Sirenis to be one of the best VALUES FOR THE MONEY!!! Their theme restaurants are good and the buffet is better than most of the top chains. The nightly entertainment is fun with a different show each evening in a venue that is fabulous. A nice amphatheatre, beautiful glass block bar......tuesdays and saturdays the local craftspeople come in to the theatre and you can get some great deals [no tax, no cab ride into town] so barder away! You can parasail, deep sea dive, snorkle, sport fish right there on the property. So many of the big attractions in Riviera Maya are very close in proximity. Xcaret, Xel-Ha and Xplor are minutes away. The staff is wonderful at the Grand Sirenis. Conceires Andrea and Zeus made sure all went well and were available to answer any questions and to make your dinner reservations for you!!! You can make reservations for the whole week and pick your dinner times. The bar staff and waitresses are all very nice, Diedra and Azul and all the staff really went out of theire way for us....they wil for you too!!! Steve and Valerie Detroit

Room Tip: Consider joining their SPT club. The upgrades are very nice if you think you will be comming back...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Steven E
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just returned from Mexico. We had a wonderful time at the resort.
The staff across the board were all top class and very helpful. The resort pools and beach area catered for everybody's needs. Peace and quiet or fun and music.
The room was kept to very high standard of cleanliness. Basic but sufficient
The Lobby area staff were always at hand to serve you. Special mention for Laura who looked after us very .
The variety of food in the buffet restaurant again catered for all peoples tastes, the waiters worked very hard, well done to them all.
The themed restaurants were great, especially the Japanese and French, Julian's service was 5 star.
The staff around the pools were also hard workers and always at hand, as did the entertainment team. The entertainment in the evening wasn't always our cup of tea, but the team worked their socks off.
The resort over all supplied a very good holiday.
Special mention for Igancio, top guy.
Over all the Mexican staff were very friendly and accommodating. OK if you tip, it improves the service, but they are all worth it.
Plenty to do and see out side the resort locally. The historic ruins at Tullum, worth a morning out. The beech at Akumal, superb. Playa Del Carmen, worth an afternoon there, though you will get hassled constantly. The local mini bus service is safe and easy to use
You must go to Coco Bongo's a great night of entertainment for all ages.

Negatives - Noise late at night, idiots (Yanks and Canadians ) walking through the complex corridors screaming and shouting. Occasionally being told your preferred drink is unavailable.

Would we return... Definitely
First time to Mexico but we will be back.

1 Thank PerkiBoy
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was my husbands and my 5th time to the Mayan;we traveled with a group of ten and everyone of us had a bad time.Rooms-Ours had ants we were on the 3rd floor sons room ac broke and pipes burst in bathroom same with our friends next door 2 other couples safe wouldnt work and bathtubs didnt work Food I have much better at lesser resorts We went to the cajun and got ignored didnt get drinks messed up food orders I ordered pasta and it was hard cold had spam in it and burnt chicken finger pieces and the ala carte resturants didnt have a bathroom in them you had to leave the resturant and go to the coffee shop weird just save your money and go some place else there are better resorts

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank rangersfcfan
Llanfairfechan, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just returned form my first holiday to Mexico and stayed at this resort, despite the mixed reviews I had read about it had prior to my going. Have tended to make a decision on balance of what I read and the information I gather from other sources about a resort/hotel. This was the first holiday I have planned to go on alone and so I was wary of certain issues about the country in general and deliberately chose the hotel as it was away from the purpose built resort of Cancun.
I am happy to share that I was hugely impressed from the outset with the welcome and natural friendliness of all at the hotel. I have stayed in various locations around the Caribbean before and am not unaware of the `benefits` of being attentive with clients that sometimes comes with the territory. However with the staff in general, everybody you met was ready with a friendly `hola`, irrespective of where or when you met them and whatever role they had. I stayed in room 1328 and was royally treated and greeted by JC and the `Senorita Caliente` (named thus as I never caught her name badge due to not wanting to stare at her chest to check, which could evidently been taken the wrong way!). JC in particular sorted out all the restaurant bookings I wanted, introduced me to some local beers to try and chased up any issues with the room that came up along with advising on the best places to visit and ways to explore if wanted. The colleague `SC` was always also happy to help and shoot the breeze whenever she was around and always did it with a smile.
The hotel was absolutely fine and I would have no issue with recommending it to anyone. I will be honest, its not a five star hotel by conventional standards. There are evidently `updating` issues that seem to be ongoing but the rooms are very spacious and comfortable if not luxurious. The food, after two weeks, yes a bit repetitive, but I found none of the difficulties with the quality that has been alluded to by some `very negative` reviewers. Again the waiters and waitresses were always universally friendly and attentive in all the restaurants (which is a great deal more than you can say about 5 star hotels closer to home!).
The hotel is large but never seemingly too large for it to feel impersonal with spaces on the beaches and in the lounge/restaurants whenever you wanted to turn up.
Happy to urge anyone to give this resort a try and make their own minds up, I tend to think, looking at some the negative reviews again that some people are just not happy unless they find fault even if there is little there...

Room Tip: Top floor room will mean that you don't have to live under thundering childrens feet/tantrums fr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Crwydro2
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have just got back from two weeks in this hotel, for the second time, and can honestly say this is the best hotel I have stayed in. The resort is massive but really easy to get around. The beach is beautiful and I highly recommend taking some snorkels with you to see all those beautiful fish and sea turtles!! The pools are really fun and there are lots of activities that you can get involved in (tequila volleyball was a hit with my boyfriend!!). The food was spot on!! A massive choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner at all of the buffet restaurants. The beach bar food was yummy and a great atmosphere, fresh tacos and a bbq everyday. The al a cart restaurants were excellent and the food was brill. I have to agree that the Mexican was a bit of a let down though. Our room was spacious and although not 'modern' as some people complain about, it was spotless and definitely served the purpose of a good nights sleep.
I have to say the staff here were brilliant and they work so hard everyday. Franklin, Ventura and Leydi around pool 3 always kept us topped up with drinks and they always had a smile on their faces. The entertainment staff (Miguel, Johnny, Gerardo, Jesus, Archie) made our days, we had such a laugh with them. They were so polite and friendly and would always make the time to say hello and ask how you are!
The only let down of the holiday is having to listen to moaning English people. I have never heard people moan so much about the smallest of issues. Don't listen to the bad reviews, for the price you pay its well worth the money!!
I would definitely come back to this hotel!!!

6 Thank Amy H
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I don't feel strongly either way about this resort. Would we go back? Probably not.
Food: I am NOT a picky eater by any means. I thought the food in the buffet areas was inedible. I understand they are cooking for the masses, but everything had a funny taste that I could not get over. The guacamole had no seasoning in it. The food from the reservation restaurants appeared on the dinner buffet the next night. I may need to stop going to all inclusives that are large resorts so I don't run into this. The reservation only restaurants were enjoyable. We made reservations for the japanese steakhouse and the steakhouse. Both meals were enjoyable for the most part. I wish we could have had that quality of food every night without being tied to a reservation time on vacation.The crew at the beach bar were also good and took very good care of everyone keeping the line moving.
Water: DON"T DRINK IT! Be wary of drinks with ice, brushing your teeth with the faucet water, etc. The resort didn't say the water wasn't filtered but when I had drinks with ice or used it to brush my teeth my stomach was off. I used the large water bottle in the mini bar to rinse my mouth after brushing.
Drinks: I have read other reviews that they are watered down. I don't know because I stuck to the Corona. It was fine. The coffee bar was AWESOME! Highly recommended. We loved Leydi and Franklin at the pool bar. They made it so fun, singing, joking, and always serving drinks quickly.
Pools/Beach: Speaking of pool bar. Grossed me out a little. It didn't appear to be sanitized nightly which it really should have. That thing needs to be bleached! I never could smell chlorine in any of the pools which made me a little nervous. This is the 2nd resort in Mexico that this has happened. The lazy river also needed to be bleached. Green mold was everywhere. The beach was okay. It was a little rocky. There were always chairs available which was nice. Snorkeling was decent. The current was a little rough. Let me preface this with this is not necessarily teh resorts fault - but I wish parents would keep their kids and babies out of the adult areas. There is no place for a small child to be sitting at the pool bar with a bunch of adults drinking or throwing a ball and splashing right behind adults sitting talking in the pool. It may be a product of my upbringing but that is not acceptable to me. Have respect and hang out in the kid appropriate areas please.
Activities: I was a little disappointed with this resort. The last resort we stayed at had better options and a lot more going on. Maybe we missed some of it, partially because the resort is so big (I will get to that in a minute) but the only thing we saw was tequila volleyball in the pool bar area. On the brochure we received when we arrived we saw many activities listed but we never saw them. One day we did play beach volleyball which was fun. I wish that would have been going on every day and that the crew would have rounded people up to do things like that. I think there were activities the pool bar, we just probably missed them because we didn't go there until the end of the day based on the amount of people there, lack of available chairs and space. The beach was a more beautiful view anyway =) At night there was a show at 9:30 in the open theater. We watched it a few nights and had a great time. The Rock Show and the Mexican show were great. After that the only option was the disco. I would have liked to see more activities after that or in conjunction with that. Maybe trivia? I think they can do a better job of engaging people. Sitting in the lobby bar was okay for one night....not every night. The disco was not our cup of tea. There seemed to be a lot of people who enjoyed it though.
Rooms: The rooms were large. We really enjoyed the space and the closet space to hold our clothes for the week. I also appreciated the robes provided. Oh and I can't forget the mini bar that was stocked with soda and beer every day! The cleaning staff left us fun towel animals every day which made us smile and their thoughtfulness. They cleaned up the rooms very well. The rooms could really use updating though. The couch was completely wore out. The bed was as well. The comforter was yellowed and disgusting as were the pillows. Our tv looked like it had been dropped multiple times and had sound issues. The door to the balcony made a horrible noise when you locked it.Our toilet sounded like it was going to fall off the wall when you sat on it and didn't flush properly.
The resort: This resort is HUGE! Plan to walk a lot (or wait for a golf cart). This is not a bad thing on vacation so you don't gain too much weight =) I am on the fence about the size. I enjoy walking, however when you have beach bags full of gear it is a little cumbersome. The grounds are well kept and the view from our oceanview room was gorgeous. We saw lots of "creatures" like iguanas, some racoon monkey things, etc.
Staff: I mentioned earlier about the pool bar staff and the beach bar staff. For the most part the staff was very nice, always greeting you and asking if they could help with anything. I truly enjoyed them. I will say though, that the concierge was not so friendly the minute you declined the time share offer. All of the others were nice in other buildings (which we saw often since we walked so much to get to things) but the one assigned to you was only nice the first day.
Spa: It was okay. I was able to go because friends that we traveled with got 2 free water therapy sessions and one didn't want to go. Unfortunately I think we had a language barrier with the staff member that was assisting us so we go no explanation of what each of the pools and jets were supposed to do. I did see other guests getting explanations from other staff members so maybe that would enhance the experience. massages are $100, not sure it would be worth it...we didn't check that out since the water therapy wasn't all that great. It seemed that a lot of people were using the spa services though.
Other activities: We took a cab to Akumal Beach which is about 10 minutes away (if that). The snorkeling was AWESOME there and the current almost non-existent. You could go out for quite a ways and still be able to touch. We saw a sting ray! Apparently there are a lot of sea turtles there, we just happened to not see any that day. The sand is much softer there. There is a tiki restaurant there, can't remember the name...Loha maybe? It has great food, great drinks, and great service! It was a nice break for lunch from the hotel food. They also have a few souvenier shops. I would recommend spending a day here if you like to lay on the beach and/or snorkel.
We also took a cab to Playa del Carmen-5th street which is supposed to be a market for good souveniers. Before I get into it, be aware if you go here everyone is hustling something! The only places we went into and bought souveniers from was the large shops (sort of like WINGS or WAVES if you know the east coast beach stores). In those stores you were not hassled. We were harrassed from every other store for miles. It made us not even want to enter their store or even engage with them. The restaurant owners were the same. We ended up eating at McDonald's. Based on my food review above, it was awesome to taste something from home! The beach there isn't as nice as the hotel or Akumal Beach. I wouldn't spend a day there personally.
Overall we had a great time while we were there. I know that my review may not appear that way, but I am just trying to give you all a head's up on everything. Like I said before, we will most likely not go back...we like to try new places and we weren't in love with this place. I read in an earlier review that this place was awesome about 5 years ago. I can see that. I would definitely rate it as a 3 star now. And to give you a gauge on me and my travel experiences, we don't stay in the most expensive places in the states either, more along the lines of Hilton's and Ramada's.

4 Thank ihearttraveling18
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!