just got back from the grand sirenis mexico. stayed there for 12 days and arrived on the 19th September. first of all flew out with Thompson from Gatwick on the Dreamliner. we booked in the day before and they were doing a special on extra leg room seats. 2 for £50 so we upgraded. great flight so we did the same coming back..
the transfer from cancun is about 1.5 hours and after a 10 hour flight it turns into a gruelling day. arrival at the hotel and booking in was good. we had the normal junior suite which when we got into the room was fine. a bit tired looking but nothing really wrong just in need of updating. great bathroom with a walk in shower and a spa bath. you are housed in blocks and each block has its own concierge desk manned daily for booking restaurants and notifying any problems with the room etc .the set up is well thought out with transport (golf carts) driving through the ground floors and picking people up and dropping them off at various locations. the resort is big. tip the driver 20 pesos and you will get plenty of drivers picking you up.
most people head for the two lobby bars in the evening where you get the premium branded drinks. the service is good and the measures generous. next to the lobby is the show hall with a different show on each night some good some ok but overall worth a look. the hotel show team work hard and are very entertaining.
the main pool has a swim up bar and a lot of activity volleyball etc. can be noisy but most of this is at one end and you can choose the other end if you don't want to participate. the cocktails are great and the beer is corona on tap. there are two other pools which are quitter and there is the beach which is good, serviced with a snack bar and drinks. waitresses come around frequently and again a small tip ensures another round.
the beach is sandy but going into the sea there are rocks and pebbles but you soon work out where to enter through the sandy bits and we did not need to wear any shoes. we did quite a bit of snorkelling and it is clear warm water with a bit of coral and a lot of fish.
we went to swim with the turtles on akumel beach. it cost 60 pesos for the bus nothing for the swim and we saw 5 turtles. the bars are good on akumel beach and on the way back a taxi driver took us to the hotel for 60 pesos.a great day and you don't need to pay through the agents $40 each for only 2.5 hours. we did chitzen through thompsons but some other people told us they went via the hotel and it was the same trip but £50 cheaper. we went to coco bongos and had a great night. got back at 4.30 am so its a late one but well worth it.
overall the hotel is good. the Japanese and brazillian restaurants are the best and you will always find something in the buffets which also have cook stations for fresh fish, steaks and pasta so I was a bit surprised to read reviews stating poor choice.
we did the premier club meet which is optional. the presentation is very professional .the club rooms are awesome and at the end you get a free spa and massage worth £200 to take at your convenience. the spa is fantastic.you will have to make your own mind up about joining the premier club.
the hotel staff are generally very good. the hotel is very clean and we met a lot of people who were enjoying there holiday as we were so for the bad reviews on this hotel I would say this, yes it is not top notch 5 * but its good and we had a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Akumal, Mexico