There seems to be a real mix of reviews regarding this hotel. Having returned today i thought id write a few words while it's fresh. Firstly to address a few negatives that have been pointed out so far [which is obviously subjective due to individual experience].
We found them to be excellent throughout. The desk staff were helpful, the concierges always happy and the restaurant/bar staff were by-and-large always happy and helpful (and we rarely tip). The entertainment team were always good fun and always tried to make the most of the terrible weather we had. They are also incredibly talented both with the amount of activities they run and the languages they speak. Particular shout-out to Omar who runs the sports events. Always helpful, polite and glad to see you. He remembered our names from just 1 trip to the archery and seemed genuinely pleased when we returned on numerous times.
Overall really nice. Clean, spacious and aircon to keep the temperature nice and cool. The bath and shower were great although the jets in our bath stopped working twice. Hovever both times it was fixed within the hour. The beds are huge and the seats comfy. The balconies are quite small and tend to stay wet once it's been raining. Also our clothes line fell off the wall. A couple of days a few items were not restocked in the mini-bar. We are a touch lax when it comes to security regularly leaving wallets/passports lying around. Still we never had anything go missing.
Due to the tiled floors and lack of all-weather flooring when it rains you need to be very careful. The theater is next to a pool of stagnent water meaning the mozzies were out in force. If you are watching a show i recommend long sleeves/trousers and bug spray. Also the only decent place to go for a drink in the evening is the lobby bar which gets noisy, hot and crowded. Then the positives; the grounds are gorgeous! You can walk around in the evening and everything is clean, tidy and well lit. The pools are spacious, warm and there is always a free sunbed somewhere. The wildlife was a real plus point for us. Bucketloads of iguanas, geckos and familes of racoons that scuttle around in the evening.
We ate at a variety of the a la carte restaurants as you get 3 bookings per week. We never had a bad meal at any of them, would highly recommend the Japenese and Italian restaurants. The staff were very professional and very quick to refill your glass. The buffet restaurant does tend to be particularly busy at certain times, however the food is very varied and with plenty of choice for all. We particularly enjoyed the fresh pasta meals which were cooked to order.
We normall go to 3/4 star self catering hotels so compared to what we are used to this hotel was very good. Yes there are a few areas that could do with attention but where is ever going to be perfect ? Yes it's a long flight (and Thomas Cook A3303s have very narrow seats meaning you'll be fighting for the arm-rest) and yes the weather was terrible but we felt very welcomed by Mexico and would certainly return, both to Mexico and the Grand Sirenis. To us it felt like a 4/5 star resort but with a very relaxed and welcoming vibe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Akumal, Mexico