Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
$312
$357
$308
$389
Grand Bahia Principe Coba(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$285
$159
$154
Orbitz.com
15,513 results
All reviewslazy rivermayan beachhealth barice cream parlourel ranchohole in the walla la carte restaurantsfishfrosted glassthe lion kingtime sharewater circuitquiet poolbeach barmain buffetjuice barspider monkeys
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed in the Sirenis from 24th August until the 7th September. Although our holiday was tainted by a little bad weather for 2 or 3 days (this was to be expected during rainy season) we had a great time.

I just want to start by saying hi to Tom from soccer, Laurence (who proposed to his girlfriend in amazing style while we were there) from soccer and volleyball. You are great guys, if you see this, message me (its Gav).

BUFFET
The food in the buffets was great, always a fantastic choice, always had something for fussy eaters, and the food was always of a good quality, all the staff in the buffet restaurants worked really hard. The place was spotlessly clean.

AL LA CARTE
Our trips to the Al la carte restaurants were average, we tried the Italian (average), Brazilian (Average), Mexican (very nice), Cajun (disappointing), Mediterranean (disappointing), Steak House (Fantastic), Japanese (Awesome). All the restaurants were decorated out really well, all with their own separate theme. The food in the Steak House El Rancho was amazing, the steaks and the way they were cooked were fantastic, but don't go for ribs, have a Filet or Rib eye.

ENTERTAINMENT
We have been to several All Inclusive hotels all over the world and the entertainment here was the best we have ever seen Cristian, Archi, Jhonny, Jesus, Miguel, Luis and the rest of the team were amazing, always laughing, smiling, joking and entertaining. The evening entertainment was really fantastic with so much effort put in, and very professional. During the day they always had you doing something, Tequila Volleyball, Water Polo, Water Aerobics, Bingo or the Crazy Game. The evening entertainment for an AI hotel again was very professional and kept us coming back for more. On the last evening we was there Friday 6th September we won IDEAL COUPLE, we went on stage, competed against 3 other couples for the title, doing all kinds of crazy things we would never normally do..... Changing clothes, dancing, getting everyone in the audience half naked, balloon game OMG all on stage.

ROOM
Our room was as stated in the brochure, cleaned to within an inch of its life every day, towel art, spacious, the gap between the room and the bathroom was a little annoying but we soon got used to it. bed was huge, balcony was great as we adopted an iguana during our stay called Ian, whom we fed bananas to every day. Our Concierges were JAVIER, JUAN CARLOS(JC) and EDGAR. They were fantastic, arranging our restaurant visits, making sure our room was sorted out etc. JUAN CARLOS was the funniest guy, we had some great laughs but make sure his bananas aren't loaded lol. (JUAN CARLOS, we stayed in 1506, you know who I am).

CLEANLINESS
The whole hotel, rooms, bars, swimming pool, restaurants, hallways, public areas are being cleaned constantly, you cannot go more than 10 metres without seeing somebody clean. The management of this hotel have the staff working on full steam.

SPORTS
This was the area we were a little disappointed in. In the brochure and online it advertises KAYAKS, TENNIS, GAMES ROOM, TABLE TENNIS, SOCCER. The equipment levels are a joke. The "games room" have three pool tables in (nothing else), and only has one cue between all three tables. We complained about this for 2 weeks to reception, Thomson Rep without getting any kind of response (Thomson rep said he would look into it and come back to us, but never saw him again). There were no Oars for the KAYAKS, no Balls for Tennis and the soccer (Football) ball was a joke.
On the plus side of the sports we did Archery and Air Rifle shooting on a regular basis with OMAR who was fantastic, he gave a really good service and was always really friendly. I feel sorry for him not getting all the correct equipment, although the archery and shooting equipment were spot on. Well done OMAR. I got well into Archery and by the end of our time there couldn't miss the Rojo bull.

TRIPS
Definitely visit XPlore, it was amazing, with the highest, fastest most amazing zip lines ever. It has amazing caves to swim in, paddle in, raft in. Great off road cars which are sooooo much fun. Great food. £75 per person, but so organised, all lockers, food, equipment included. A fantastic day out.
Tulum was amazing, with great ruins, sea views etc.
Akumel Beach was lovely, and you don't need a guide, just get the local bus or taxi down there. Guaranteed turtle snorkelling. Don't get duped by a guide.

Overall I would never say this place is 5 star but its a great place. If I was going to give you some advice, get involved with everything, it makes your holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Redtilimdead
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Sirenis from the 24th of August to the 7th of September. I travelled with my partner, we are age 20-24.

Like everyone on here, I read plenty of reviews about my destination before I travel, and when I see a bad review, I do look into them more than I should. However, I can honestly say, unless you are a very fussy person who knitpicks at little things, then you will love this hotel!

Check In:
Our coach transfer took around 90mins from the airport, and check in was very quick and painless. The room safe is 600 pesos for 2 weeks, which we decided to take up for our travel documents, money etc.

Rooms:
We were put in the Bacabz block, on the middle floor. This is a great location as we were a 2min walk from reception/main lobby & buffet and our balcony overlooked one of the activity pools. The room was great and very clean. I don't understand the "run down" comments I have seen about this hotel. Like any room/building, over the years, it's not going to be as good as the day it was decorated, and I personally did not look at the room and think it needed a lick of paint or anything. Our room did have a pane of glass seperating the bathroom, however ours was frosted so we were happy with that. The room DOES include an iron and ironing board and hairdryer. I found the beds comfortable myself, and did not have any problems sleeping in my 2 week stay. Our room had a mini fridge which was restocked daily without water and soft drinks/alcohol. The room also includes a TV, which of course didn't include man English channels but that wasn't an issue.

Cleanliness:
The hotel is immaculate. You can not walk more than 2mins in this resort without seeing staff cleaning or tending to the resort in some shape or form. Everyday our room was cleaned to an exceptional standard, we cannot praise our maid Natalie Poot highly enough! The daily towel art was lovely to come back too and we were so pleased with the service.

Food:
When eating the food at this report, I was baffled as too how any could not be satisfied with it! I saw alot of reviews questioning the variety of food on a daily basis, however, when they offer so much different food in one service, you are bound to have repetitive food! Breakfast for example, had it all. Breads, pastries, cereal, omelettes, pannini's, fruit, hot food. What more can you want!? The quality of the food was amazing and again I cannot see how it can be faulted. Lunch and dinner always had a huge variety of food. Nobody could struggle to find something they like. I grew very fond of the freshly made pizzas, they were amazing withg different toppings all the time.
We visited all of the A La Cartes apart from the Mexican and the French. You have to pay for the French one. All of them offered something different, and all of them were lovely. The food was the standard of a fine restaurant, and all of the meals we had, we can honestly say we really enjoyed them! The only one we were on the fence about was the Brazilian. It was nothing to do with the food quality, it was just the way it was served. You got to sample all the meats, which were brought around by a waiter one by one. We often found ourselves waiting for another portion of meat, and our sides had to be eaten before we got any meat to ensure they didn't go cold. I suppose we just aren't used to the that kind of service. But like I say, the food was still brilliant!

Resort in general:
There are 2 activity pools, and a large more relaxed pool in between them, which we spent most our time at. I can't really comment on activites at the more energetic pool areas as we didn't spend time there. However, in the more relaxed pool, we were very happy there. We had a brilliant waitress poolside who was always checking we had drinks topped up.
The main lobbly was where we usually went during the wet patches we experienced on the holiday, where the staff do their best to keep everyone entertained during when it was raining. The main lobby has a large bar, and shop, aswell as desks for the spa/excursions etc. The main buffet and reception was located just up the stairs from there. The resort is large as people say, but we didn't have any issues walking around. It isn't too large, I will say that. We did have a go on the lazy river when it was quiet in the morning before the kids took over, which was very relaxing.

Staff:
Quite simply, the staff are amazing. Whether you tip them or not, they always have a smile on their face and do their best to help you. From the concierges, the the maids, all of the staff were tremendous and any tip you do give them, they fully deserve it.

Excursions:
We travelled through Thomas Cook, and booked 3 excursions through them.
Captain Hooks:
A pirate ship entertainment experience in Cancun, which was great! Whether you are a couple, or a family, it's an amazing time for all!
Fat Cat:
A Catamaran trip which included going to an amazing reef and snorkelling, which was a great experience as it is something neither of us had done before!
Bar Crawl/Coco Bongos:
This was well worth the money! Endless free drinks and all the bars you were taken too, before topping it off with an amazing visit to the world famous Coco Bongos. If you haven't been before, it is like something you will have never experienced in a night club. I don't want to give to much away, but I do fully reccomend you do and experience this for yourself! I would reccommend going through Thomas Cook rather than on your own via a Taxi, as Thomas Cook have a big reserved spot with a great view, and get you in and out, which would very difficult through the huge crowds on your own. Coco Bongos was just incredible!

All in all, we had a terrific holiday and were very sad to come home. If you have booked this resort, I guarantee you will love it, and if you are thinking of booking this resort....do it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Geordie_Rob89
Reviewed September 8, 2013

the hotel is great, we had a very nice time. the food and the service are amazing, specially our concierge service. they took care of us in a very nice way. i will definitely recommend this resort. mi husband and i were invited to the anniversary to check out the premium club and it was really interesting, we bought a membership and i am very happy with it, if you are invited you should go, you will received a free spa treatment or 100 usd. i am going back next year for sure, i love mexico and specially this resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PERFECTO M
Reviewed September 7, 2013

If you're not doing any excursions, the place gets quite boring unless you like going to the beach everyday. As an all inclusive resort, its a great place to go for the price (I paid around 900 with the flight included from Toronto) but I would not recommend this resort if you have high expectations. It feels more like a 3/4 star hotel than a 5.

SERVICE:
For first impressions, I personally did not have a good first day. Arriving at 7pm, the bellboys immediately took our luggage to bring them to our room. We tipped them and immediately went to restaurant buffet for dinner. After eating, we went to our room at 8pm and waited for our luggage to arrive. 10pm hit and we started to get worried. I called the front desk and went around the resort asking for help. No one answered the phone at the front desk and many of the employees did not speak english or did not know what to do. Frustrated, I walked back to reception and found our bags still sitting outside in the parking lot of the hotel. I was then told by reception that the bell boy's keys did not work and they could not open our room door, so they just left our bags unattended outside in the middle of parking lot. No one even tried to contact us to tell us where our bags went. I was quite upset to find our personal belongings just sitting unattended outside the hotel while we were frantically finding employees to help us locate our bags.
Because the resort is fairly large, there are a lot of employees, so the quality of service varied a lot. We tipped every single employee that interacted with us, but sometimes the quality of service just wasn't there. I have to give a special mention to Erik (our waiter at the restaurant buffet). He was a great server! He reserved tables for us and always checked up on us to make sure the food was okay. He would always remember what we ordered to drink and get it for us before we sat down.

ROOM:
The resort is nice but our bedroom had a cockroach problem, the pillows are flat, and the beds are rock hard. On the plus side, your fridge gets stocked with drinks everyday and you get a bottle of tequila on the day of your arrival.

FOOD:
The drinks, especially the coffee is amazing. I did notice that at the Coffee shop they were not using soap to wash the cups...
The food is alright (didn't taste great but didn't taste bad either). I did get sick a couple of times, however there is a lot of variety of food and the quality of ingredients is pretty good. I tried the Brazilian, Mexican, and the Steakhouse Specialty restaurants and they were all average.

ENTERTAINMENT:
In all fairness, we did go during hurricane season, so there isn't that much to do when its raining all the time. The nightly 9:30 shows are meh. There are only 4 stores in the entire resort so there isn't much to look at or buy within. The DJs/hosts at the pools are great. They're very energetic and always trying to get people to participate in their activities (ex: salsa dancing, water polo, etc).

BEACH AND POOLS:
They have a great lazy river. The beach is beautiful and the pools are kept very well.

EXTRA:
On a side note, wifi is not free and you have to pay according to the amount of time you spend on the internet PER device...
I did not have a chance to check out the spa, but I did hear that although it is pricey, it is well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PrisCha
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Following a two hour trip from Cancun airport, we were greeted by the lovely staff of this great hotel. Cases were immediately taken from us, drink supplied on check-in. Our luggage was taken to our rooms, which were immaculate, big and cleaned daily to a high standard. The towels left on the bed in different designs were a lovely touch. Weather was fine albeit rainy everyday, but its rainy season. You cannot fault the food at this hotel, great choice and with one vegetarian in our party they catered for all. The al la carte restaurants are fab, streak, Cajun, Brazilian and our favourite the Japanese (cooked fresh in front of you !). Barbecues on the beach are combined with the vast selection of cocktails are a must. Beach is beautiful and water really clear. The staff at this hotel are amazing, so helpful, genuinely friendly and work so hard therefore deserve all their well earned tips. We went on two trips ... Xchien pyramids which personally I found boring. It was a long journey, food at this trip was awful and I intend to complain to Thomas Cook. My husband enjoyed the history of this trip but felt it was too long a day. Swimming in the canotes after was lovely though. Now Xplore trip is a MUST, well worth the money and a fab day which includes zip wiring, driving through caves, swimming etc. food here was lovely, great choices and plenty of it. We had a fantastic day here albeit in torrential rain!! Lots of wildlife around the hotel to see. Entertainment is fab, shows every night which end around 10.30. All in all we had a fantastic holiday and would definitely recommended this hotel. Mexico is now my favourite holiday destination. On a negative note I would not fly Thomas Cook again, staff were quite rude, abrupt and didn't seemed interested in you all, I would choose another airline! Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013