“Lovely hotel, lovely staff :)”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Sirenis from the 30th April to the 14th May 2013, it was fantastic. The food was great - our favourite was the Brazilian Restaurant. The Mexican Restaurant was a little disappointing, but I think that this is due to the fact that it was very similar to the buffet that we had been eating regularly. Our room was lovely, although the mini bar wasn't overly impressive. Amazing beach...we swam with sea turtles nearly everyday, in the sea right off the beach - there is no need to pay for the boat trip to swim with the sea turtles!

We went on a trip to Xel-Ha which was amazing...We swam with dolphins there, which we highly recommend.

We would like to give a special mention and thank you to our concierge Eduardo and Jorge, who were fantastic. They could not do enough to help us. Eduardo even helped my partner to arrange our engagement!

We would definitely go back to the Grand Sirenis, thanks :)

David & Kayleigh x

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kayleigh M
Write a ReviewReviews (14,835)

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel is great, it's really big but not overwhelmingly. There's several pools, so you can pick your scene, "party" or quiet. I liked that there were kids, but if you're a couple, you don't bump into them all the time. The beach is really nice and you get drinks directly to your hammock. We were lucky that the hotel was full, so we got a beach front room upgrade for free. The staff is friendly and they try their best to keep you happy, one day I asked about an item usually in the buffet that I couldn't find and they got some for me from the kitchen.
I loved the buffet, it was abundant and varied, the mexican food is authentic and very tasty. You can eat as healthy as you want, it has a lot of fruit and veggies, fish, chicken, fries, really good pizza, burgers; for breakfast, different kinds of egg, pancakes, crepes, pastries, yogurt and so on. Tip for the buffet: sit near the buffet to get your drinks faster, the waiters try to keep up but they'll take a bit longer if you're outside their field of vision.
I only have two issues with the buffet: the muzak in the morning was somewhat loud (at least it was for 7 am) and the wine for lunch and dinner is not good (though I am a wine snob, if you are too, consider the added cost of paying for a bottle, it goes 150-180 pesos and up). As for the food service in general, I would only take note that there is nothing open to eat between 11:30 and 1, and the snacks close at 5, but you can order room service, we used to do this and keep food in the room for when we were hungry.
There are plenty of activities to choose from, aquaerobics, yoga, cooking lessons, archery, the list goes on. Just verify the schedule because the brochure they gave us was not updated. Also, they are all before 5 pm and the gym is closed at 7, so if you want to get some exercise done, plan ahead (or you can jog or run, a lot of people do that).
I really liked the room, which was a junior suite, it's spacious and clean, there's plenty of storage space, a small living room and you get your fridge filled with beverages every day.
We went to the brasilian, the japanese and the steak house themed restaurants, they were all good.
I stayed at another hotel in the riviera a few years back and it was nowhere near in service and amenities as this one, and the cost was pretty much the same, so I definitely recommend this one.
PS. The people there work really hard, they clean the place non-stop, they're attentive, they always say hi, give them a break. I saw a woman complaining and she looked like she wasn't enjoying her vacation, in my opinion it's a lot about the attitude (because they will give you a solution and there's no need to be mad on your vacation).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank OneHalfMaria
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Overall a great 7 day holiday in a very good hotel. Is it 5 star? Probably not quite. But still a very nice and extravagant hotel which I would definitely recommend and represents 10/10 value for money and we (couple mid-20s)had a great time (we booked through Thomas Cook in the UK).

(note: Grand Sirenis have two hotel accommodation blocks on same complex that go by different names; the Riviera Maya and the Mayan Beach Resort. The 2 blocks are however the same and they share all the same facilities, it's just the Mayan Beach Resort block is a tad nearer the sea. Despite our brochure specifically saying our room would be in the Riviera Maya block, we actually ended up in the Mayan beach resort block - I'm not sure if this is usual or not but we didn't mind. They're practically the same so if your travel agents offers a choice go with whichever is cheaper. Also TripAdvisor has different reviews under each hotel name but since the people are reviewing the same thing, you might want to check out the 'other' hotel's reviews as well.)

ROOM - Large, comfortable and always clean. Rooms are on 3 floors and anticipating that the ground floor might be more noisy due to the relatively open layout of the hotel I emailed in advance requesting an upper-floor room. Upon arrival they duly obliged and we even ended up in the Mayan Beach Resort block with a balcony with a sea-view (which I'm sure the brochure said would cost more). I was really pleased when I saw we had a sea view but because it's so humid we spent very little time on the balcony so I'd say it's not worth paying extra for. Safe was approx £15 per week and a decent size to fit most gadgets. Large bathroom and didn't have a hole in the wall to the living room. The first night we didn't have airconditioning working despite telling the concierge after arriving. I bumped into the friendly cleaner the next day and explained in my dodgy Spanish and when we came back later it was fixed and it was bliss. Fridge has free cans of pop and large bottle of water and a couple of lagers and they will replace it every day for free. Upon arrival at reception you might want to consider taking your own bags to your room. Although it's a 10 minute walk in the heat, it's probably quicker than waiting 40mins for the bell boy to deliver them (they have that many to deliver), particularly if you're itching to get down to the beach before it gets too late.

WEATHER - Hot with blue skies, nice sea breeze and only rained once whilst we were there and we were on a coach at the time.

BEACH - Beautiful scenery: perfect mixture of white sand, turquoise sea, rocky enclaves and lush greenery. Parasols and loungers are free and never had much of a problem finding one by the sea as long as we got there by 9:30ish. There's plenty more sun loungers further back. Sand could be sharp with coral and rocky so take beach shoes/flip-flops but its worth the trade-off to have coral along the shore. Was a bit disappointed with snorkelling at first but then went a bit further out to coral/rocks and found all the fish and was in my element. Tended to spot the turtles towards the north end of the beaches, not very far out eating the sea grass. Definitely take your own snorkels and fins. The entertainment team were very good at rounding up recruits off the beach for various sports. They were friendly and encouraging without being pushy and I had a great time trying to play beach volleyball with my multi-national team of fellow novices (except for a stroppy Russian woman who mistook it for the Olympics). There's a beach BBQ everyday for dinner (lunch) and you can get other small hot meals from the beach bar. The waitresses on the beach were brilliant at coming past just at the right time to ask if you wanted another drink. You can also go jetskiing and parasailing.

POOLS - 3 big pools. The two with swim up bars could sometimes be a bit loud and hectic but the 3rd in the middle was tranquil enough if you wanted to get away from it all. The lazy river was great as well. Lasts 5 to 10 mins to do a loop before you have to get out again at the start. It would be nice just to drift round forever but by making people get out after a lap it does free up the rubber rings for other people and in the week we were there we only had to wait a few minutes once for a ring.

BUFFET FOOD: Breakfast and tea (dinner) are served in big buffet restaurant. Food was okay, nothing to get excited about but not bad either. Definitely good variety except for maybe dessert.
A LA CARTE RESTAURANTS - First of all, TAKE TROUSERS AWAY WITH YOU as that is the dress code for men and they do follow it to the letter. When I say trousers, any kind will do: proper trousers, jeans, combats etc. I was perfectly happy for them to have a dress code, I just wish the Thomas Cook brochure/website or the hotel website mentioned this before we got there considering how much they plug the a la cartes. Once there all they had in the hotel shop to buy was some cream linen trousers for £40 (I looked like a cross between a retired golfer and Pablo Escobar)but they did the trick. Dont worry about dressing up too much though as long as you cover those legs, a lad came in after us with ripped jeans, a SlipKnot T-shirt and didn't have to remove his black baseball cap so the only thing they really care about is wearing trousers. A hammered bloke in a kilt also got in but he did look quite smart. We had 3 ALCs in 3 days: Brazilian was superb and great fun as they keep bringing out meat after meat to your table and you wonder when it will stop. Steak house was good and the Mexican was average.
EVENING BAR - Could always find a seat. Odd layout, its more like a colossal atrium/ reception that they decided to put the bar in.

EVENING SHOWS - Good fun and probably nicer to sit in than the one huge bar. Main shows start 9:30pm in a large covered outdoor amphitheatre type building. Lion King was our fave. The theatre has its own bar and lots of waitresses taking orders.

EXCURSIONS - Wide range of excursions available from Thomas Cook representative. Before I went I really fancied snorkelling with whale sharks in the ocean but I was a bit hesitant because I thought it was a bit expensive if we didn't see them ($199USD pp). I'd seen that most operators would offer you the chance to go again another day for free if you didnt see the whale sharks, but we were only there for a week and didnt really have time to spend 2 days out of 6 on a boat if we didnt see anything. But when the Thomas Cook rep said if we didnt see them we could either go again or have all our money back that convinced us to try it. Did we see them? Did we heck. But still glad we tried, would have regretted it if not. Im not David Attenborough but the explanation the operators gave sounded quite logical: the plankton the sharks feed on responds to sunlight and so sinks during/after bad weather (the previous week had been torrential). Therefore the sharks then have to go to lower depths to feed and are therefore much harder to spot. Still, we made the best of it and at the end of the day we had a boat trip with lunch and swim on an island (Isla Mujeres)all for free since we got our money back. Dont book this excursion in advance directly with the operators, not just because its weather dependent but also because the only reason we had the option to get our money back was because it was bought via the Thomas Cook rep and not directly.
Chichen Itza trip was great and it was worth the heat, just take extra drinks in a bag. We didnt book this through our rep because they only did it on Fridays. Instead we went to a separate tour operator located at a kiosk in the main hotel bar/atrium. Theyre fully legit and very good and offered 10% off if you say you want to see if your travel agent offer it for cheaper (which they dont).
We also did our own excursions one day using the collectivo buses (just google them for more info). Theyre the white minibuses with a thin coloured stripe down the side. They are very cheap and very friendly and really straightforward to use. If you cant see one waiting by the main road outside the hotel/destination, just flag the next one down in a few minutes. We got one to Tulum (the ruins by the sea) and they were spectacular (lovely breeze unlike most Mayan ruins). Get there early if you can; we got there at 9am (bus took 25mins) and looked round for an hour or so reading the info boards but when we left the queues to get in were starting to build. We then got another collectivo back up to the beach at Akumal (small fishing/tourist village - 20mins), set up a few towels on the beach and then took our snorkels in the sea. Quality snorkelling, lots of fish but particularly turtles. Dont bother paying for a guide if you get asked, turtles were very easy to find, and if you cant find your own turtles, just swim out to where you see groups of people congregating in the water. Theres places to eat on the seafront but after a couple of hours we just got another collectivo back to the hotel (5mins)and we were back by early afternoon in time for all inclusive chips and chicken wings on the beach. Would definitely recommend visiting both these places and doing it by collecivo rather than paying 10 times as much on a tour. You dont have to be a seasoned backpacker or anything to use the buses, it really is easy and good fun.

OTHER EXCURSIONS: just a brief run through some of the other excursions Thomas Cook were offering at the hotel and price list at the time in USD (June 2013). Chichen Itza $85. Tulum $45. Tulum & Coba $70. Quad bike adventure $90. Whale sharks $199 - and all sorts of different packages to the big wildlife/cultural parks and swimming with dolphins etc.

STAFF / TIPPING - not being used to it I always find it a bit awkward; how much, to who, how often etc, but nearly all the staff are really friendly so we didn't mind it at all. We took pesos but smallest notes most foreign exchanges in UK do is 50pesos and £2.50 seemed a bit much to be tipping regularly for All Inclusive drinks. May want to consider taking US dollar bills as well. If not, the main reception are happy to exchange peso notes into smaller ones for free.

DEPARTURE TAX - When flying home there is a departure tax to pay at the airport of just less than 800pesos per person (£45ish). Thomas Cook (and in fairness maybe most travel agents) only tell you about this after you book.

OVERALL - Class holiday and great hotel.

Room Tip: upper floor room for less noise
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
26  Thank Chris809
Reviewed July 31, 2013

OVERALL - Class holiday and great hotel.

Room Tip: upper floor so less noisy
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Chris809
Reviewed July 31, 2013

After 26 hours we finally made it to our destination before having to turn back half way over the Atlantic due to the planes radar not working why we had to go back and not keep going on to Canada or New York is a mystery How ever we got there safe and sound if not just a little bit Knackered.
On arrival we were met by the staff and quickly processed and sent to our rooms the only downside was that because it was so late 1.30am they were operating on a skeleton staff as far has the porters went so we set off to find our rooms on our own .
Rooms
Very big clean and a bottle of champers in water only because the ice had melted due to the delay, two pairs of slippers and two robes. Mini fridge well stocked Coke, coke zero, sprite, Fanta , beer and a very large bottle of water.Coffee making machine ironing board and a very good iron for a change. Safe deposit box is charged however if you read the instructions on the front of the safe you can re-code it yourself with out paying.
Booking your restaurants is with the concierge on the bottom floor I would advise you to get these done ASAP and don't go to the special meeting they try to push we politely refused.
Grounds and Pool area
fantastic grounds lots of wild life Racoons , Lizards swamp rats ,monkeys just like being on your very own safari.
Grounds are very clean spacious pool fantastic swim up bar is deadly you cant seem to keep away chocolate martinis are the future and dangerous as my wife found out. There are three pools in the resort a quiet one and two lively ones the latter being the one we .
Entertainment
During the day they never stopped games galore music going all day made the holiday fun, Nightly entertainment at first was not up to much but the shows we liked best were Grease , Circus show and the Lion king was superb the hotel has live singers every night in the theatre they were very good and played every night before the show and after.
Breakfast
Best bacon I have ever had abroad hash browns nice and if you wanted Steak you can have that as well.
I could not fault the hotel on the food fresh cooking stations and loads of different choices in the buffet you must honestly be the world most pickiest eater if you find nothing to eat here.
We ate at all the al-le-carte restaurants and rate them in this order, Brazilian , Japanese ,Steakhouse, Mexican Italian , Mediterranean. All had fantastic service from all the staff.
Warning
Keep away from the tequila or you might find you have trouble walking .HA Ha
All in All a great holiday and met some nice people lovely place never walked past one member of staff who never said hello.
Snorkelling was a let down only because of the waves but jet skiing was fantastic.

Almost forgot YOU don't need to run down to the beach or pools in the morning to book your sunbed there are plenty.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank pelicanosCumbria
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Along with my girlfriend and her 8 year old daughter, we spent two amazing weeks in the Grand Sirenis Hotel, and I can honestly say it is the best hotel I've ever had the privilege to stay in.

The setting is paradise, the restaurants were varied and fantastic, with the service generally very good. I literally cannot stress how beautiful the setting is, snorkeling in the Caribbean sea, seeing sea turtles and tropical fish was amazing. I miss the place so much!

To get around the surrounding area the "collectivo" a safe and inexpensive minibus, was the best method, and there is so many beautiful and wonderful things to see. Though we only ventured out of the resort four times because it was so amazing.

The thing that made the place so special for us, was the people.

Our concierge, Fernando, was so helpful and friendly, helping us with anything that we needed.

Possibly the hardest working people in the resort, the beach waitresses were amazing, Graciela was so friendly and kept us in cocktails and agua!

The sports and entertainment team were fantastic, Eric was always jovial, and great with the kids, as were all of the kids club team.

Rogelio working in the buffet restaurant was a hero, and made every breakfast fun and the staff were just amazing!

I could go on and on about how great the place was, but you get the picture! I will definitely be back!

Enjoy your stay :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank John M
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have just returned from two lovely weeks at the Grand Sirenis, myself, my husband and 16 year old daughter. The hotel, although huge and fully booked, is so big that it never seemed crowded, even in areas such as the restaurant. There are three massive pools, one big one for each of the two twin hotels and a quieter, huge, horse-shoe shaped one. This one never got very busy, even during the second week of our stay when the hotel was fully booked. There is also a lazy river ride with giant tyres, which was my favourite. All around the hotel iguanas abound, and there is other wildlife such as coati, which are members of the raccoon family, and spider monkeys. Rooms are the biggest I have ever stayed in, with a double bed for myself and husband and a double for our daughter. We overlooked the trees at the back, you can have a sea-view room but have to pay extra. Good trips out, we went to Chichen Itza (a must), Coba (where you can climb the pyramid which you can't at Chichen Itza), and Xcarat, an ecological water park/park/beach. Great fun swimming in a cenote (sinkhole) underground, freezing but very refreshing after the hot sun. First week was rainier and more overcast than the second, but still not too bad. The only slight drawback for myself and my daughter (and the reason the hotel only gets four stars) is that of the food. My daughter and I are both vegetarians and often find the food a bit limited at these types of resorts. Most days we managed pretty well but on Japanese day there was, literally, one vegetarian choice - pasta - and that had a burnt taste to it. However, for meateaters this wouldn't be a problem as there is plenty of choice for you! We found the poolside cafe was often best at lunchtime with lovely fresh salads and fruit, which is to die for, especially the pineapple and the Chinese melon.

Room service sometimes left something to be desired, and a couple of times we had to go and ask for toilet paper and coffee/coffeemate. Each hotel block has a concierge to attend to your needs, and we found them very helpful. However, be warned - we heard tales that the refused to book the a la carte restaurants for one family who said they did not want to attend the talk on timeshares! As we didn't use the a la cartes this didn't make any difference to us. Apparently, though, the steakhouse is very good.

Overall, we really enjoyed our holiday, which was made even better by our flights out and back on the new Thomson Dreamliner, which cut nearly an hour off the travel time and just made the journey seem more spacious and luxurious.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family