“A good week with some weaknesses and some strengths”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Halifax, Canada
“A good week with some weaknesses and some strengths”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I visited in mid May. We were in the 2900 block building, near the beach and ocean as well as convenient to the pool and restaurants. The room is excellent, in terms of size and amenities. The glass wall between the bathroom and bedroom area is odd but not seriously an issue for us.Perhaps with our children in the room it would have been a problem.

The food was generally good. We had a very poor experience at one of the specialty restaurants .. the Barclo - the server was very uninterested and the food was poorly prepared - my main course was inedible (prepared in a skillet and burnt so there were chunks and flakes of black in the sauce) and we waited for our waiter for a long time - finally abandoned the meal and left ... no one asked us why or said was everything ok on our way out. We did speak to the Food and Beverages Services Manager for the hotel and he was very interested - I have a sense he followed up with that restaurant and he offered us an extra specialty evening with choices of premium wines.

The Japanese and Brazilian were great, and the main dining room was fine.

The beach is nice - there is some spots with no coral or rock and it is very pretty.
The pool area is very nice.
The spa is beautiful - the hydro massage is great value - the rest of the services that accompany that service are good as well. The staff are a bit mechanical and not really genuine, but the facility is nice. The traditional massage is a weak option here and not cheap. I would avoid it.

We have been to spas in less dramatic settings that had staff who were far more interested and thus the service rating would be higher. And that can be said for pretty much all the staff services.

I would rate the property - design, setting, grounds, finishes of the rooms and overall presentation higher than the staff rating. (We travel for pleasure to many different countries and settings as a family - about 60 days a year for pleasure and am basing the opinion on that plus have made some comparisons to past experiences in Mexico and this is not our favorite for service ... but it is a very strong contender on beauty and setting).

The high speed internet is a bit varied depending on where you are and the time of day. It is occasionally high speed as I expect it and often Fairly High Speed Internet - but it is only 40 dollars for the week.

The front desk and the building conceriege are average at best - more like a two or three star than a higher star rating. Very focused on time share and booking events, not strong on listening or followup.

The rep from Air Transit is extra competent. Watch out for the cart drivers for the resort premium travellers club - at least one of these guys drives like a fool on the many paths around the resort. Very dangerous.

All in all a good week at a lovely setting with some decent staff and some nice features.

Room Tip: 2900 block of buildings Higher floors have better views and are more private due to walking paths...
3 Thank Patrick292

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,805)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We just returned, resort is huge and has so many activities. Beautiful grounds, pools and beach. Wait staff is amazing. Luiz and Angel great bartending. Staff was so nice and helpful. We will definitely go back. Great resort for singles, couples, and families.

• Stayed May 2013
Maryland
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Wonderfully located between exciting Playa del Carmen and historic Tulum, Grand Sirenis offers a u inquest experience for the discriminating vacationer. The site on the Carribean sea is epic, the beaches, at least three of them are intimate and beautiful. You can snorkell and see fishes right there as you swim. The staff is first class, the 8 restaurants are superb, the Brazilian is my favorite. The SPA however wins the prize, don't forget the water treatment, absolutely magic.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hypnos001
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I don't want my review to sound too negative because I realise it's about personal choice. However, had I known everything I do now, my choice wouldn't have been this hotel. This resort is huge so you need be prepared for lots of walking/stair climbing (or use the lifts). The main public areas are very well kept although some of the furniture is a little dated. Likewise, the suites are perfectly suitable and cleaned daily, with fresh towels left. Walls are thin though and you can hear your neighbours.

There is ONE main restaurant (not two as some tour operators advertise) - just separated by two different serving counters with the same food available. I wouldn't call this a restaurant though, more of a canteen! The range available for Breakfast is fantastic....cereal, toast, cooked food, cakes, doughnuts etc. However, the selection gets worse as the day goes on (probably because they don't cater for so many guests for lunch/dinner). I would never eat cake for breakfast but always fancied one later in the day, but they were only ever considered breakfast food! This was my first (and last) all inclusive and i was somewhat surprised at the restrictions (my fault for not researching I guess). I thought all inclusive meant there would be food available all day, perhaps just a bag of crisps? The nearest I could get to a 'snack' was sitting in the canteen at lunchtime and making a sandwich (which i had to eat there, couldn't take away). There was a beach BBQ daily but large burgers/hotdogs, so again too much if you only really want a light healthyish lunch (although they were delicious). There are also a couple of smaller restaurants open from 10am but again it's cooked food mainly. If you've been out for the day and fancy something to eat at about 5pm you won't get anything. Having said this, the canteen food is better than okay (nothing special and they do run out sometimes but it's perfectly edible) ...I don't know of anyone who had a funny tummy and as the water is treated, you can have as much ice in your drinks as you wish (just remember bottled for brushing teeth). There are a number of al a carte restaurants which you can book in advance to dine in (3 per week) and I would personally recommend the Japanese. However, enjoyed the Italian, Brazilian & Steakhouse too. Although these appear to get booked up - they were always only 50% full (which is a shame as they could easily cater for more than 3 bookings per week).

There are 3 pool areas. Only one could be classed as quiet if you're after a peaceful relaxing day. When I say that the others are noisy, I mean really noisy with lots of activities but you do have the beach which is also quiet and relaxing. (after you've trekked through the heat to get there) During the 2 weeks we were there, we don't believe the poolsides were washed down at all. Each morning the poolside was swept ( to remove Iguana poo .....yes, there's loads of them and if you attempt to eat anything by the pool they will climb on your chair) but not cleaned enough in my opinion. Staff will take drink orders from you all day so you don't have to leave your sun lounger ......tip them a little and you'll get an even better service!

For the evening you have the choice of two areas (can only describe as Atrium x 2) that are too huge to enjoy a quiet drink in ....with background singers struggling to be heard due to the vastness of the space they're trying to entertain in. Shows are put on later in the evening, Grease, Lion King so there's plenty to do if you want to stay out of an evening. there is also a disco for those who want to stay out later (this is situated away from the main buildings so doesn't cause problems). The wine/beer was pretty grim and when we did try to order a decent bottle of White Zinfandel (£15) at the Brazilian (having been presented with the 'paying for' wine list, they didn't have any! - again, understand this is personal choice and some may have found the drinks perfectly okay. Cocktails were very nice.

Be aware if the number of times you have visitors in your room. We left a tip daily for the cleaner (who we met on a couple of occasions). We would return to our room at about 5pm daily (at which point it would have been cleaned and the tip taken) and put out another tip for 'tomorrow's clean'. On a couple of occasions, we returned to our room after going out again only to find that 'tomorrow's tip' had gone and was replaced by two Hersey chocolates. I questioned this with the Concierge who said they would only come back to the room if they were not able to supply something earlier. However, on our last night we were late going out when there was a knock at the door. It was a female cleaner (not ours) who was simply carrying one small hand towel (we already had plenty) and two Hersey chocs! She was definitely using the towel as an excuse to see if we'd left 'tomorrow's tip' out early ...........and she wasn't even our cleaner!

The hotel has a small shop but only with very limited products (no milk) but I think lots of guests were sneaking milk out from the canteen (along with Banana's to feed to the iguana's).

We were very lucky with the weather, enjoyed a lovely spa, staff were friendly (if a little too much sometimes) and came back with a tan and a few extra pounds. However, I felt that Grand Sirenis should 'ease off' a bit. They're trying too hard to provide activities/entertainment (when many of us just want to chill) and making a hash of it to boot. I left Grand Sirenis wanting to be left alone for some peace and quiet. Book this holiday if you're not looking for a quiet relaxing, no noise holiday and you won't be disappointed. If you just want to chill by the pool/beach with a cocktail and eat fresh fruit/veg and healthy food then look elsewhere.

4 Thank Lillylilo
Cleethorpes
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I cannot say how nice a place the Grand Sirenis is. Everyone there cannot do enough for you, and they really spoil you. The Mezcal lobby bar is so good after dinner, Anna was so good looking after you, and remembers what everyone is drinking. Anna is a treasure to behold and so friendly. Everyone is so good but I have to also mention Diego, he looks after one of the swim up bars. He is so good and his memory as well, cheers mate and thanks.
The Concierge is where you go for any help or information you might require, Eduardo was so kind and helpful that you could rely on him to do what he has told you.
I fully recommend this hotel and shall be back as soon as we can. Thanks everyone.

1 Thank Howard C
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Absolutely loved my 2 weeks in Grand Sirenis. The food & restaurants were top class and particularly the Cajun, Steakhouse & Japanese restaurants. Had such a laugh by the pool every day - Jhonny & the team certainly kept us entertained!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We spent two fantastic weeks with our two children, aged 2 and 6. Everything was amazing, no complains whatsoever.
I will not go into details about it - a beautiful, modern resort, lovely nature and exceptional service but I just thought I should mention something more about the staff who work at the Kids Club and Kids Entertainment. They were all great but our son spent more time with Cynthia and Imanol and fell in love with both of them. They are the people who make children's vacation a memorable experience - a lot of fun and energy, loving and caring at the same time. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NellyPT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#55 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!