“2 Week Family Vacation”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We spent at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya 2 weeks at the end of April, beginning of May 2013. Family of four, kids are 2 and 6 years old. Pretty much everything was above expectations and was the best Caribbean vacation for us so far. Lives up to the 4.5-5 star rating in every aspect. 2 weeks went by quite fast!

Location: very convenient, about 1hr 15 mins from the Cancun airport, 25 mins from Playa Del Carmen and 5 mins from Akumal. Akumal is a village with a gorgeous beach, where you can snorkel with turtles at about 100 meters from the shore. Taxis are available at the hotel, they have a set price list to any nearby location. There are several entertainment parks you can visit close by, and a bioreserve (Sian Ka’an).

Beach: There are rocks along the hotel beach, which make it a lot more fun and also spectacular for walks and photos. There are turtles and many fish directly at the hotel beach too. You can bring water shoes just in case. Although not 100% necessary, I did use them a few times when swimming as some coral reefs make waters shallow in a lot of areas and you are better off not step directly on them (some are sharp and there are sea urchins too). There are three large pools, of which we liked best the pool at Mayan Beach and the adult pool surrounded by trees.

Accommodation: very clean around the resort and in the rooms. All rooms are junior suites with jacuzzi tub, balcony, mini fridge and flat screen TV (so you can bring your HDMI cable along with your tablet and watch your favourite movies). Riviera Maya and Mayan Beach are the same resort, although sold separately. They share the same common areas and you could move accommodation between the two sections upon request. No difference between buildings, just proximity to certain areas may be a personal preference. The resort is very spacious, with lush trees and nice areas for walks. There is a separate large building with fitness center and spa. There are many different activities for kids and adults (most are included, few are at additional price such as boat trips or jets). Many different animals, including the amazing Mexican dwarf porcupine that lives under the rocks at the theatre and casually crosses among crowds of people around 9pm every night to get to his/her place…)

Food: good quality and variety. The fresh grill at lunch on the beach and at the main buffet were the best, but some cooked meals were good too. Overate on ice-cream and cakes a bit… Did not go to many a-la-carte b/c of the kids, but liked the Japanese restaurant’s tepanyaki. For those who like tequila shots or sips, I recommend trying mezcal instead (this is the one with the worm in the bottle, but also with much more flavor than the tequila).

Service: it was excellent! Everyone from the staff was really polite and made sure all of our requests were addressed. Reception clerk Gonzalo was great on several occasions/requests. On another occasion, hotel staff went out of the way to resolve a misunderstanding around the use of their Grand Sirenis Dollars Coupons to purchase our photos taken around the hotel with various animals, which turned not to be accepted for that. Main lobby concierge manager Eduardo ended up sorting the issue by converting the coupons for cash, so that we could use it for the photos we wanted.

Entertainment/ Kids Activities: there is live entertainment / shows every night, starting with a mini-disco for the kids. There was a good live band filling the gap between kids disco and the show. The staff at the mini-disco are the same staff that work at the Kids Club. Among them, Cynthia and Imanol stood out and were great. Kids loved them, and I was amazed at the energy and enthusiasm they showed at the disco after entertaining the children at the Kids Club for a full day (where they take them around to lunch, ice-cream bar and the lazy river each day too). They did an amazing job!

One small recommendation we can make, is to install a slide, or generally a larger playground area around the Kids Club, which younger kids (<4 yrs) can use. Other than that all was great for the children.

Finally, I wish to express our special thanks for the outstanding service provided by receptionist Gonzalo, main lobby concierge Eduardo, waiter Adan, Cynthia and Imanol at the Kids Club! You rock!

Room Tip: Rooms in Muuyal block (1800 #s) were conveniently close to everything.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank vadamov

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Having returned home four days ago, I wanted to write this before details became fuzzy. First of all, this was our first trip to Mexico and our first time at an all-inclusive resort. We loved our time at Grand Sirenis and would definitely return. My favorite thing is how international the resort was in its clientele. I swear we were the only Americans there. We met new friends from Scotland (Barry) and Quebec (the Stephane’s) as well as others from Czech Republic, Austria, England, Germany, and all over Canada.

ROOM
We sent in our room request and all three requests were met. We asked for two rooms close together, each with a king sized bed and on the second floor. While I thought we were going to be on the Riviera Maya side, we ended up in Building 20 of the Mayan Beach side. I had no issue with this placement. We left a key card in the slot at all times and the room was refreshingly cool when we returned. We had a room on the sunrise side of the building which was much preferred to our traveling companion’s sunset side which tended to heat up the room with the shades drawn. We had towel creations each day (thanks to Olga), the issue with our remote was addressed promptly, and our clothesline on the balcony worked well. There were four visible outlets in the room (two by the desk and two by the bed) for charging various things. The pillows and firmness of the mattress were to our liking although we did request two more pillows. While we could see where some might notice an odor in the room, we didn’t find it offensive. A little bottle of air freshener on occasion, took care of this quickly. TIP: Bring a few cloths pins for the clothes line. Little travel air freshener sprays are available at Bath & Body Works and are perfectly sized.

BATHROOM
The room did not have the divider between the bathroom and bedroom. Sure, it was a little weird, but didn’t detract. The frosted glass on the toilet area was very frosted and did give visual but not audio privacy. We never used the tub during our stay. The shower was roomy and hot water was always available. We had fun figuring out how to make the body jets work. There was shower gel and shampoo in a dispenser in the shower, and lotion, shower gel, shampoo, a shower cap, and a sewing kit by the bathroom sink. There was also a bar of soap and two face cloths. The towels were large but not the softest on the sun burn. There was a hairdryer although it didn’t dry my hair very well. TIP: Bring your own conditioner. Between the pools, ocean, and hard water my hair felt like straw. I was so glad when I found my travel bottle in my suitcase.

WALKING
I’ve read so many reviews about how far everything is. We walked from our building 20 to the spa and it was a nice long leisurely walk. We walked from our building across what I’ve been told is a new concrete bridge replacing an old wooden one, several times a day from our building to the main lounge. It never felt too far even in heels. We found it easier to walk up there and then down to the ala cartes than to meander through the middle paths along the pools. My biggest complaint was trying to find shade in which to walk. TIP: Pack band aids. With the sand, salt water, and pool water, you are bound to get blisters even in the most comfortable shoes.

POOLS
We did not hang out at the quiet pool. Our room was right next to the Mayan Beach pool, but we opted to spend our time at the Riviera Maya side. The Mayan Beach pool was long and narrow. The chairs felt like they were on top of one another. The entertainment was fantastic (Oscar, Daniella, and Jesus) poolside at Riviera Maya. Oscar led the crew and never was over bearing at getting people to join in the fun. We started our morning with Water Polo, then Aqua Gym (Water Aerobics), American Football, and lastly Tequila Volleyball. There were a few quieter games between the football and volleyball. The sports were competitive and not for sissies. As we spent the majority of our time in the water, getting drinks wasn’t an issue. We did spend a couple hour stretch in our loungers at one point, and drink service wasn’t as frequent as I would have liked. I was amazed with the staff constantly cleaning in the morning; getting out the leaves, feathers, and bugs; cleaning the sides of the pool with a rag and spray bottle while standing in the pool – that is dedication. I was pleased with the security presence near last call (6 PM). There were a few people who had consumed many too many drinks. I was worried they would fall off their stools and drown. But security was on top of it and got them safely out of the pool. The water was cool at first, but by our last day was like bath water. TIP: Loungers were always available up until noonish, then they became more difficult to secure. We would claim our foursome, eat breakfast, lounge until 10:30 AM, and then begin ‘playing’ in the water. Boca Clips were very helpful in keeping our towels on our chairs.

FOOD
We had breakfast every morning pool side in what is the steakhouse by night. Lunch was either enjoyed here or at the beach. We opted for the Japanese and Brazilian ala cartes. We tried the Mexican buffet and a general buffet. We never went hungry. I was pleased I was able to try food, I had never experienced previously. I tried Terrine, Aspic, Quince, Mole Sauce, Prickly Pear Salad, all sorts of cheeses, green juice, and ethnic desserts. Most I didn’t enjoy, but I can say I tried them. And if it went on my plate, I ate it. There is something for everyone. There was always the grill station where food can be cooked to order. Was it fantastic food? No, but it was certainly adequate with moments of Yumm-o. My personal favorites, the Prickly Pear Salad, Canadian Bacon & Quesadillas for breakfast, hamburgers on the beach for lunch, and the coconut ice cream. My husband loved ordering T-Bones from the grill in the lunch and dinner buffets. Unfortunately our room was just outside the ice cream shop – made it too easy. I tried the nut (think Butter Pecan) and the coconut which was out of this world. The beach bar does indeed have pretty good chicken wings as many have said; a little on the small side, but you can always get more. TIPS: Sunday (Chinese), Tuesday (Mexican), and Thursday (Italian) were the theme buffets during our stay. If you can request Benjamin in the main buffet as your server, do so. He was hilarious, entertaining, and a great server. Have him teach you how to do a tequila shot like a true Mexican.

DRINKS
I managed to ‘tie one on’ on my first night, and my husband achieved the same state on two different nights. I found the drinks stronger in the lobby bar than the pool bar. We had a cocktail server on our first night in the Riviera Maya lobby bar that was fantastic, but couldn’t find her again during the rest of our stay so I didn’t commit her name to memory. I tried a Mojito (ok), Moulin Rouge (icky), Miami Vice (so-so), Flying Gorilla (my go-to evening drink), banana daiquiri, strawberry margarita, Coco Loco (personal favorite), Bahama Mama, something blue and icy made by Franklin in the pool bar, Orange Heaven shots made in the pool bar, and deadly Mexican Flag shots in the pool bar. The rest of my group had lots of beer with an occasional tequila shot thrown in for good measure. The coffee bar offered up a great iced cappuccino with cream. And the lobby bar had great double espresso for sobering up. TIP: Bring a list of drinks to try along with their ingredients. I found a great list online at a web site created by fans of the resort.

ENTERTAINMENT
Pool entertainment (more activities) was great as discussed earlier. We experienced the beach entertainment once and it was hilarious. We never went out to the sports center nor did we do the activities at the Yoga Hut. TIP: Take a picture of the activities sign and refer to it on your camera to figure out what is happening next. Evening entertainment was so-so. I loved how the entertainment staff mingled with the guests prior to the show. We were able to talk to many of them and they all seemed to believe it will get better. I was expecting something like our regional theme park, Cedar Point or a Six Flags. Instead one of the productions was more like a high school musical. The Festival Mexicana was great! I loved the cultural aspect of it. That was on Tuesday, it was paired with the Mexican buffet and the Mexican Market. Sunday was the Rock N Roll Show and Monday was Chicago, neither of which we could watch due to 9 PM dinner reservations. Wednesday we watched Alice in Wonderland. The performers tried, it was adequate, but I was expecting more. All of the table top seats were filled, but the floor seating was sparsely filled. At 8 PM, the kids entertainment begins (we saw dancing and a piñata). 8:30 PM there was karaoke which had great singers, but not many participants. At 9 PM, there was an organized game/performance. One night it was a cocktail/body movement game, and the other night it was a Macho Muchacho game. Both were pretty funny. At 9:30 PM, the shows started. Every night there was someone singing in the lobby prior to dinner. She was excellent, but I swear she sang the exact same set each night. TIP: Bring a deck of cards, park yourself in the lobby bar, and enjoy listening to the music, the comfy chairs, and the nice breezes while playing a card game of your choice.

ODDS and ENDS
I found myself staying in my bathing suit all day due to the wonderful pool and ocean. I changed into a dress for evenings. I never needed my shorts and tops during my stay. I’m glad I brought my own snorkeling equipment despite it being available for use. Enter and exit the water to the left of the ruin when looking at the ocean. Much easier to get in and out. Swim out past the end of the ruin and be amazed with the reef and variety of fish. We were going to do the jet skis, but discovered during our stay you just go out and back during your thirty minute rental. Bathrooms aren’t in the most accessible places, so familiarize yourself with their locations. TIP: The one inside the poolside restaurant is better than the one poolside; just throw on your cover-up and shoes before you go inside. I spoke with a few of the staff and they said they prefer USD over pesos. They said they are easy for them to change and they end up with more money with USD. Book excursions on your own – we just took a collectivo up to XPLOR. Left the front door of the resort at 8 AM, walked out to the highway, and arrived at 8:30 AM.

SUMMARY
A great, clean resort with friendly staff. They go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying yourself. Guests are friendly and willing to strike up a conversation. While we were couples with children traveling without our children, we didn’t find the children present to be a hindrance or a detractor from our trip. We would definitely recommend this resort for a relaxing vacation, without a huge night scene, but with plenty of day time activities.

Room Tip: Request second/third floor for quieter rooms; request room away from stairwell for even quieter stay...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank upnorth98
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My fiance and I spent 10 days at Grand Sirenis from April 16 to 26, 2013. We went with a group of 18 people as we had friends that got married during our stay. The resort is beautiful, rooms were somewhat clean (Found soap in the shower from previous occupants). Staff were, for the most part, very friendly. The pools were great, the lazy river was awesome! We were in room 1745 just a quick walk to the large pool and snack bar area. Had to be a bit picky where you lounged in the sun as there was often a sewage smell. Within the 10 days stay we were all struck with diarrhea, some had vomiting as well. My fiance missed two scuba diving excursions that were non-refundable due to sickness! We informed the front desk staff twice regarding the sickness and were just told `we have no other complaints!` No offer to get us access to a doctor not even an I`m sorry!` However, the wedding was beautiful and tucked away on a private area on the beach which was very nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank SM R
Reviewed May 13, 2013

What can I say, had a fantastic 14 nights, food, accommodation 5 stars, but alas a flaw with the security. On the last day before checking out left bags in room for bellboy to collect, went back to room cases were already gone along with money taken from handbag. This put a big downer on the holiday as the room maid Antonia was so trusting left out monies, jewellery, phones, ipod etc in room and still there, but bellboys are opportunist as they turn up early knowing that you are down having breakfast. Other guests had camera's and clothes stolen, hotel not interested when approached have to allow 48 hours for full investigation but this gets you no where. Was thinking of returning in a couple of years, will go back to area but not this hotel due to the theft. Entertainment staff encourage you to join them from water polo to tequila vollyball. Well done to the entertainment staff, Franklin and Diego stopped you from dehydrating in the pool with their cocktails at the poolbar.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view as hotel large lots of walking
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank JetsetsBrighton
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I give this resort 2 thumbs up.Starting with the food being great.The entertainment also excellent.The whole staff in general are very nice. This is my home away from home.Keep up the good job guys. I will be going back for sure.

Room Tip: the rooms are all good
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have just returned from The Grand Serenis today. Excellent family holiday and the initial reaction from all 8 of us was WOW!!
The hotel is huge, its sprawling and we were shell shocked to begin with. We were impressed with the check in staff, and happy to find that getting around the complex was easy, all we had to do was flag down a little shuttle bus and that would take us wherever we wanted to be within the complex ( free).
The beach was a little disappointing because it was hard to walk into, there are rocks along the shallow areas that you have to step over before you get soft sand, but once your over that the water is clear, warm, shallow and safe and looks beautiful. Our recommendation for a perfect beach is to walk to the main road, just off site, get a collectivo 25 pesos towards Tulum and get off at akumal beach, short 10 min walk through pretty village, this beach will not disappoint we promise!!!! The other alternative is to stay on the bus to Tulum for 35 pesos and ask the way to paradise beach via a long walk but it's worth the trek ( taxi's available for those that want it ) this is a lovely day out, not many shade areas though!

We flew with Thomas cook, ( TC ) when we met with the rep in the morning we sat through a hard sell excursion talk, he was'nt interested in talking about the hotel facilities at all so we came out of an hour talk non the wiser, waste of time! We would advise not buying any trips from TC and take the collectivo to playa del Carmen and buy all the excursions from the local tourist excursion kiosks, remember to haggle, we got some bargains. I would save your hour and give the TC talk a miss.
Importantly DO NOT accept the invite to a day being treated as a premium traveller by the concierge staff, this is a 3 hr time share talk, they offer you breakfast and say that you'll be treated like a premium club member. This is a con to sell you a time share , they show you round a lovely presidential suite, take you round the complex in a nice buggy and then ask you to part with 98,000USD!!!!:-)) Avoid it if your not interested in real estate at grand Serenis.
If real estate is what your wanting then enjoy they are good at selling :-)) For us it left a bad taste in our mouths :-( we wasted 3 hrs of sunbathing time.

On a positive note the concierge staff that looked after our every needs ( Omar and JC block 28 beach side ) were outstanding and went above and beyond our expectations, nothing was too much trouble, they are a credit to the hotel. Its a shame that the hotel managers don't recognize what a good job they do. the concierge staff asked us to complete a survey on site to help them get promotion!

The food quality is very good, hot, tasty a good selection and plenty of places to eat. Our all round favorite a la carte was the steak house- el rancho, the Cajun comes highly recommended too, forget the Mexican and med.

Regards the entertainment staff, they were average, they come over as lazy, although they advertise a full and fun packed program, when we turned up to take part sometimes there wasn't a staff member to lead the program or if there was a staff member he/she lacked leadership or motivation. we are quite an active family so were a little let down. We mentioned to a manager how we felt about the lack of entertainment and it fell on deaf ears.

The evening entertainment was average, some good shows on some days.

Please don't be worried about staying at this hotel it is lovely, clean, modern, the rest of the staff are attentive and polite. the hotel rooms are very comfortable I slept like a log all 2 weeks, love the jacuzzi in the rooms the pool areas are fantastic, we always got a sunbed and all in all we thoroughly had a fantastic time and I think I speak for everyone in our group that we would stay again :-)))))))) x

• Stayed: April 2013
6  Thank leaste
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I'm writing this review a year late because I just returned from another all inclusive, and realized how much better my Grand Sirenis experience was.

The food is pretty good for a resort. At the dinner buffet, you could always pick a cut of meat and have it grilled in front of you which was always terrific. On one night they also had fresh seafood that you could have grilled. Overall the variety in the buffet was great and I had no complaints. In terms of the a la cartes, my favourites were the Japanese restaurant and the Steak restaurant.

The beach was really nice, and the area was quite large so you could always find plenty of shade and a spot tucked away if you wanted some quiet. The only issue was that the bathrooms could be a little far away when you were on the beach, but really not a big deal. The beach side bars were also not too far away and someone came by at least every 30 minutes offering to bring you a drink and food.

The resort is a little bit big so it did take some time to walk from one place to another but that also made for a peaceful resort as the noisy people were really spread out. Not to say that it was a particularly rowdy crowd.

The rooms are HUGE and frankly awesome. My only issue was that my mini bar did not really keep things cold, but that wasn't a big deal.

Lastly, the bars at night were also pretty mellow. It was easy to get a drink and they had some good stuff available.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo