“Just got back - what a trip!”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Edmonton, Canada
“Just got back - what a trip!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just got back from the Grand Sirenis yesterday morning, and I have one word for the resort - fantastic. It was my 2nd trip to Mexico, my boyfriend's first, and neither of us were disappointed! The service is great, the food is delicious, the resort itself is beautiful, and the room was perfect.

We took the collectivo everywhere we wanted to go - super cheap, you catch it on the highway, and it's very easy. Visited Tulum, Playa del Carmen, and Hidden Worlds - all so much fun!

I wanted to mention a couple of staff who really helped us out on the trip - if you come in contact with them, they're great. The concierge at Acat block, Gary, is AMAZING! He went out of his way almost every day to help us, and if he doesn't have the answer right away, he will find it. My boyfriend and I would've been lost without him. If you get him as a concierge, you're in for a treat - he really will take care of you.
Also, Carlos Antonio, who maintained our room through the entire trip: thank you for all the wonderful animals (I loved coming back to see what the new one was!), for organizing my messy bathroom sink, and keeping our room sparkling clean.

definitely recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Book near the lobby if you want to be close to everything, but just a warning, it's a little lou...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meghan K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,793)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bridgewater, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We travelled here as a family of 5. We had a wonderful holiday and met many amazingly friendly Mexican people. One of the highlights was our waiter Faustino Coba. We have never had better service anywhere, ever! Faustino was so pleasant and sweet, we ensured we were seated in his section each evening. Resort was clean, weather was good. Good selection at buffet and the staff were extremely helplful. Would defintely recommend this resort. Bring your mask and snorkel, lots to see and do. Good shopping, vendors visited twice during the week. Approx. 35 minutes to Playa del Carmen. Don't miss their Mexican night. We returned late due to a scheduled excursion and really wish we would have returned earlier.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor in our building, nice and quiet. Found the pillows a bit flat but I'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sherry K
Rimbey, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

very nice to stay , fairly clean , ask for smoked glass in your room between the tub and the bed as there is none in some rooms . don't get caught up with the buying of shares at the resort .service at the restaurant was great , we had a man named Ramon Renterid, he was amazing ,the two others we had were Chabely Cacho an Luis Alberto perez silvestre .
these people made the trip amazing . i wish we had stayed 2 weeks though , did lots of tours and it seemed we didn't get it all done what we wanted to do .
staff all was good . when i go back i will stay on the beach side to try something different .

Room Tip: stay in 2nd or 3rd floor an stay on the beach side if possible .
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barb B
Red Deer, Alberta Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had a great experience with most of the resort. Food was fantastic, except that we weren't able to get into the Japanese ala carte. Our rooms that we requested (upper floors) were not available which was a bit disappointing.
We do prefer a smaller resort, but the Grand Sirenis proved to be enjoyable. The entertainment was great compared to smaller resorts. Not sure what happened to the towel card requirement, but it was not needed when we got there, so it was a free-for-all with the towels! Everyone at the resort would grab an arm full of towels and go save as many loungers as they could find! They were even putting them on chairs to save them the night before. I felt sorry for the laundry staff that had do wash 1000's of towels every night. Very wasteful!
There were turtles feeding right off the beach in the shallow water and there were plenty of fish to see. The disco would have been fun if we were a bit younger... the spa was great!
But all-in-all we had a great experience.

Room Tip: Good luck getting the room you want unless you join the "club"
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dale E
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Everything about the holiday was fantastic. The cleanliness of the place everywhere including the gardens, the pool areas the restaurants you could not fault it, it was excellent. The people could not do enough for you and were so polite and helpful, nothing seemed to much for them. The area was beatifull all around the complex and was constantly being mantained, it was so pretty. The Iguana's and the Racoons were interesting we took lots of pictures of them. The swimming pools were just great with so many area's to choose from where you sat. There was a beach BBQ everyday and food offered everywhere. The bedrooms were spacious and your fridge in the bedroom was filled everyday with soft drinks and beers for you to have. I would love to go there again and we thought it was great value for money. A truly fantastic place.

Room Tip: Rooms up a higher have a better view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sheilahaylock
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Good day all!
My wife and I travelled the last week of February into the first week of March. Like most people we referred to Trip Advisor prior to booking our vacation. In my review I will try to provide some information that we had a hard time finding. So lets start at the beginning, the reception;
Upon our arrival at 5 am in the morning the staff was full of energy and all smiles. We did not receive the complementary welcome drinks and towels and we assumed that it was due to our arrival time. Checking was flawless and our luggage was delivered to our room promptly afterwards. We were shuttled to our hotel room so that we did not have to look at maps and orient ourselves to the resort in the dark.
The Room;
We have spent a lot of time in hotel rooms, this room was very large (junior suite) honestly it offered more than expected. When my wife and I travel we do not spend time in our room other than the freshen up and sleep. It was extremely clean. This is where we want to give a shout out to the man who kept our room clean, Sever, an outstanding man with an eye for detail. We have no complaints on our room or how it was taken care of.
When you look at a map of the resort you will notice that the rooms are divided up into blocks, we were in building 29, as it only takes about 12 minuets to walk around the resort, I don't believe there is any one room location that is better than another, we would have been happy with any room we were presented with. With the layout of the resort everything is easy access from any room location. As checkout time is by noon and we were not meeting our shuttle until 11pm, we had the option of extending out checkout time, aprox $10/hour. We opted to check out at noon and use the showers in the main lobby to freshen up for our return trip home.
The Pools;
Very, very clean. Some of the pools are designated as quiet pools which are nice when things get a little noisy around the pools with the swim up bars. When I say noisy I don't mean the noise of children playing or people having fun. I am referring to large amounts of university students gathered in front of the swim up bar chanting, singing and yelling...for about four hours at a time. When this happens, moving to the beach or to one of the quiet pools is your only escape. If we had any complaints it would be about the lack of control on excessive noise.
Lazy River;
Absolutely loved it, nothing better than planting yourself in a tube to go for a leisurely ride down the river. A day did not go by where we missed our float.
Buffet restaurants;
We have no complaints about the food or the service. When you cook massive amounts of food on a daily basis it can not compete with a freshly prepared meal to order but I will say the resort did a great job at making the food look as good as it tasted. Just remember that at the main buffet there are a couple of grills cooking fresh selections and they do an excellent job.
A La Cart restaurant;
Our three picks were the following,
1 the Japanese, Outstanding and loads of fun!!! I don't think there is a bad choice on the menu.
2 the Mediterranean, it was okay, my wife had a seafood pasta dish and I had the sea bass. The sea bass was outstanding and we found my wife's dish to be very unimpressive.
3 the steakhouse, as well it was okay.
Other than the Japanese restaurant we did not find that the a la carts were any better than the buffet. Other than being served, the food did not seem any better than the what was being served at the buffet.Please remember we were only able to have 3 reservations.
All in all the meals we ate at either the buffet or a la carts, we have no real complaints.
Snack bar and beach BBQ;
We loved this place, we ate lunch here everyday, the wings, burgers, various tacos etc... We're outstanding. Every day a BBQ is set up on the beach and depending on the day they cook, burgers, hotdogs, porkchops, steak, shrimp....outstanding!
Beach;
Great beach, not miles of flowing white sands but perfect none the less.
Evening shows at the theatre;
Outstanding and a pleasure to watch.
Lounges;
Other than the disco, there are two lounges, one in each of the main lobbies. I only wish there was a more intimate place to spend the evening on the resort.
Internet;
I thought I would comment on the Internet on the resort as it seem to be a point of discussion. There is no free wifi on the resort. Reception is pretty good everywhere. One point to remember is that what ever device you log into it must be the same device you use the next time you log into the Internet. All amounts are in pesos.
15 min-$30.00
30 min- $45.00
1 hour-$75.00
1 day-$195.00
1 week-$$455.00
2 week-$560.00
**please remember these rates are at the time of our visit.

Final conclusion;
We had a great time and enjoyed our visit. I would recommend this resort to our friends. That said if asked would we return for a second visit to this resort I would have to say no. The main reason would be that we enjoy the thrill of experiencing new things, people and places. A resort would have to be extremely special for us to re-invest in a second visit and we did not experience this at this resort. All that said we had a great time. We will be returning to Mexico but it will be at a different location and resort. One last point if I may, I wish I could remember the names of all the staff we met on our vacation so that I could mention them here, they were exceptional and I mean that. I have traveled all over the world and the staff at this resort are some of the best I have had the pleasure of meeting, because of them we had a great vacation, thank you!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Kevin G
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Hi ive only just joined trip adviser yet i use it always for advice!!!
So thought i would share my experiences of the places i;ve been and hopefully help fellow PICKY travellers out!

Im a self confessed picky customer, i stayed here a couple of years ago now (trip advisor wouldnt let me add the date), and cant comment on the mayan beach side as it was closed at the time!

The staff here are brilliant, the main lobby when u first arrive is seriously beautiful, open and very opulent in a space age chic modern way, less is certainly more!The bar on an evening here was lovely as it had the breeze blowing due to the open nature of the building

The rooms...we had the junior suite near the swim up bar pool where we tended to spend most our days,i recall having a few issues with the room which were actually fixed in good time.

The pool bar staff were also excellent and we loved the mix of drinks and also mix of nationalities, were not a couple who go on holiday to make friends but the odd occasional conversation went down well. Met a lovely canadian family who left us their lilos!

All in all the food was good, the place was well thought out and we loved the lazy river!

Im not just picky with rooms its food to haha and also funny about standards and tend to have a delicate tummy yet i had no illness in that area!

We both enjoyed it and the shows which we attended in the main show area were of a very good standard for that kind of thing!

I did return home with swine flu which im pretty sure i caught on the plane home!

The beach is not as good in my opinion as the domincan or cozumel but its perfectly ok, we preferred the pool scene in this hotel ....I would return but would prob try the mayan side.

Mostly we loved the mexican people, seriously they must be the most hard working and friendly workers on the planet!

We tipped in $ american, for most things in terms of service as i think its probably courteous to do so, im pretty sure it was appreciated and deserved!

You will have fun here, but its not a beach lovers paradise nor is it a 5 star yet its got a lot going for it and the service is very good!

Becca and Derek, York, UK

Room Tip: Possibly upgrade to the beach front rooms, we met a couple who did and they loved it, seemed more mo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WeLoveWarmHolidays
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!