“Terrible food and not a 5 star as advertised”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
pennsylvania
“Terrible food and not a 5 star as advertised”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We just returned from our vacation and were very disappointed in the food. I read reviews saying the food was not good but figured they may have been too picky. We are not picky eaters but found it difficult to find anything that was good. Both my husband and I on different days were sick. We spoke to other couples who were sick also. The specialty restaurants looked nice but the food was even worse there then then buffet if that was possible. The drinks were nothing to write about either.
Our room was in the 1800 building with an oceanview but somewhat run down. This resort opened in 2006 (6 years ago) but the rooms looked like they were there much longer. I know we were in the tropics but It was very musty smelling i think in part because the a/c was not that great. Can't imagine what it would be like in the summer months.
Every morning i had to get up by 7 am to get a chair at the beach.
The beach is beautiful as well as the grounds, the staff is amazing and friendly but this resort in now way worth the price or the rating it is given. We will not return to this resort or recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank joespetunia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,792)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Midlands. UK
Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you are seasoned travellers such as we are , and have stayed in numerous 5 star hotels, then this place will probably dissapoint. We stayed there over the new year period with our family and friends. Let me explain :

Thomas Cook Signature : a complete waste of time. The rep did not even know who we were. We promised cots , and were then told on arrival that we should never had been prmoised them. Eventually they did arrive , hours later.

Concierge : we had a jolly chap called Ricky Ricardo, who was more interested in selling us a timeshare than anything else. The on site racoons could do a better job if you actually wanted to book an al a carte resturant.

Resort / pools : a tidy and well kept place, the main swimming pool is certainly spotless and 5 star. the kids pool looks rather grubby. the main lobby lift was constantly being repaired, not something you expect in a 5 start resort ! this meant carrying the pushchair up a long flight of stairs.

Food : breakfast was great. dinner at the buffet was nice but got repertitive . the a la cartes are not great at all. The worst, ironically , was the Mexican resturant. It was the blandest food i have ever tasted and upon questioning the chef, the reply was that it catered for the American market, who could not eat spicy food !
during a visit to one of the ' theme parks' we had some of the greatest food on the trip, they need to teach the Sirenis chefs how to cook.

Our friends ate at the Japanese and were very complimentary .

Beach: very nice , but not as much snorkelling as i had expected.

House keeping : very hit and miss. Often forgot to give us shower gel.

Spa/ gym ; these are both great, our wives vouch for the hydrotherpay pool and myself and my frined thought the gym facilities were great.

All in all , an nice to average place, which could become a true 5 start resort with some careful tweaking, such as better food at the al a carte resturants.They need to stop selling the timeshare experience and allow you to enjoy your holiday.

One last gripe, beware, this place is very far from the airport !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank max k
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here, and we have agreed that despite the few perks about it, we will not be returning to Grand Sirenis. When we arrived, our room was not ready, and we had to wait well over an hour to finally get it. The room service meal options were extremely limited, and honestly not good at all. We needed to exchange our American dollars for pesos, and the hotel's exchange rate is outrageous. There were more than a couple of topless women on the beach, regardless of the signs that stated "No topless allowed." It was also extremely difficult to locate a chair on both the beach and the pools.

Despite all of this, the resort did have great shows, excellent drinks, and a great staff. We also enjoyed the local vendors that came and set up. It was fun to do some bargaining with them and find a bigger variety of souvenirs than what the resort's very small gift shop had.

Grand Sirenis wasn't downright horrible. I would simply not suggest it to anyone desiring a quiet, romantic getaway. It's way overcrowded, and there are way too many ridiculous drunks. Better for a young group of friends for a loud, crazy spring-break type vacation.. but in no way a relaxing honeymoon-friendly place.

Room Tip: A top floor room has a beautiful ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie P
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I can't believe some of these reviews. Granted a Mexico 5 star resort is not always like staying at the Ritz in the U.S. but this place is nice, and I have stayed at the Ritz in Maui (would choose grand sirenis over that). Amazing pools, grounds, secluded beach with no other resort in sight. Best nightly entertainment I have seen in Mexico. My family and I have been to Mexico for 9 straight years, staying at different resorts each time, returning here (last stay May 2009) because it was the best experience. When I go to Mexico I want to experience the jungle and ocean in a semi natural state, you get that with this place. You can walk for miles on secluded beach going south before you come to another resort. They could maybe use a little update to the rooms as I agree they are not quite as nice as others I have stayed, but the buildings and the architecture of the Grand Serenis is incredible. The food is good to average like most Riviera Maya all inclusives, but you can always find something you like. But the reason I go to Mexico...beach, pools, snorkeling, beautiful grounds, experiencing nature and wildlife (iguana's my daughter likes to name and these giant rodent's called capybara's) -- none of the other resorts can touch. Also big plus is the lazy river, I can't believe more resorts down there don't have this feature. I think some of these reviewers would not be happy anywhere, maybe they shoud stay home and complain and save a lot of money!

Room Tip: Building 18 is a good location, staying jungle side this time but ocean view is incredible from this...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jablom777
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

After many trips to the Mayan I can say this was the worst food&bev experience. I became a member of trip advisor just to write this review so people understand that the food is substandard with a capital S. The restaurants, premises, rooms are beautiful but you will not see any international alcohol, and the food is a disappointing, except for breakfast. Did not have a single proper tasty meal. The beach is small but beautiful, rocky though and with little sand. Be prepared to wake at 7 am to get a decent chair on the beach. The beach towels are the smallest I have ever seen. The beds are for premium travelers only. The resort is over populated with kids and their parents that have no culinary knowledge. The rating of the resort is completely absurd. It is a 4 star at best with terrible food and nothing to drink. Shame because the staff is great. Will recommend against this resort to everyone I speak to. What a rip off!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Christina B
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We spent amazing two weeks in Grand Sirenis in December 2012. We absolutely have no complaints. Hotel is beautiful, rooms are huge, clean, gardens are incredible.
The maximum value are people, very friendly and helpful, everyone from gardeners to people at the reception. I´ve read rewievs on tripadvisor and sometimes hard to understand people....some negative coments are so unbeliveable. I travel a lot, visited so many countries and can safely argue that riviera maya hotel and staff are amazing - all of them.
We spent a lot of time with entartainment team, they are amazing....BIG THANKS to Miguel, Johnny, Alex, Jose, Angel, Cristian, Alfonso, Hugo, to dancers- Octavio and Luis and of course to my sweet girl Klara...They are professional, polite and attentive all the time and work hard all day and night, the shows are also great. Oh, can´t forget the Sirenis band...thanks for nice music!
There was delicious food, tasty coctails...healthy bar (thanks guadalupe), love tacos on the beach...hope we´ll be back.
The trips to Chichen Itza and Excaret are unforgettable, I´m happy to be part of Mayan´s rituals of purification at 21 of december.
Thanks again to all staff at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya!

Room Tip: Super position 1821 - in the midle of everything!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank suzyslovenia
Jersey, CI
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked the Grand Sirenis because it was the cheapest 5* resort in Mexico for the period of our holiday. Having booked it, we looked at TripAdvisor and were suddenly apprehensive as to whether we had made the right choice.

I'm glad we stuck with it.

OK, maybe it wasn't quite a proper 5* resort. There were minor gripes - the staff tend to be a bit stretched, and drinks can take a long time in coming; we regularly had to ask for items the maid had forgotten to provide, such as towels, shampoo, body wash, etc. However, having said that, it was actually generally extremely good.

There are loads of bars and snack bars around during the day, and in the evening, the bars in the main building are a lovely place to be - and will provide international branded drinks (Glenfiddich, Bombay Sapphire etc) if you ask for them.

We were more than pleasantly surprised by the overall resort. The architecture is "challenging", but actually works. There are three swimming pools plus a kids' pool. Two of these pools cater to those who want to spend their day hanging round the swim-up bar, listening to thumping music, with their children screaming in the background. The third pool is amazingly tranquil, and a wonderful place to pass the time.

The restaurants are pretty good. We spent 11 nights there, and consequently received 6 nights in the "a la carte" restaurants. These provided a pleasant (but by no means exceptional) main course, although starters were still in the form of a buffet. Our other nights were in the buffet. This was generally adequate rather than exquisite, but certainly no worse than other buffets in all-inclusive resorts. There was only one night where we were unable to find anything edible other than the meat from the grill.

The beach is lovely. Much of it is, I strongly suspect, artificial, and so has only a very thin layer of sand, beneath which is rock and hard ground. The beach by the sea is very pleasant, if somewhat stony. It could perhaps benefit from daily raking, but certainly isn't dirty.

The resort as a whole is very clean and very well maintained. The staff are very keen to assist when they can (although they are used to Americans tipping them and have come to expect it as a matter of course).

The rooms are very large and perfectly pleasant. We had a room on the top floor (of three) and didn't have any problems with unwanted guests from the insect kingdom. The design of the bathroom, with the large void into the bedroom, is unusual, but doesn't generally pose a problem except for the very prudish.

The hotel promises a vastly improved service to those who sign up to their Premier Travellers' Club. This involves a morning visiting the rooms you could get if you were to sign up. Whilst fun to have a look round the presidential suites, I suggest you choose a rainy / overcast day for this generally tedious tour (if you bother) and I wouldn't personally sign up to it, as it's very expensive and I'm sure you'll regret it when you get home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank KFjersey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#51 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!