“Loved the food, the folk & the view :)”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very clean & friendly resort that gave my family a 1st time vacation to cherish 4ever!!
Thanks for the memories :D
Loved the staff,
scenery was amazing & the food was good even my picky daughter ate.
There's alot to see and do as this resort is a large one.
I strongly recommend this inclusive resort as an enjoyable get away from home.
Myself, my two young daughters, my brother & his wife had a great family vacation.
Probably can say the best visit we had away together.
Thanks again to the fabulous staff :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jen W
Write a ReviewReviews (14,846)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Great week. Good food. Not as good as the grand Bahia which I have been to three of their resorts but good enough. But since the snorkeling was so amazing I was quite content with it all. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Weather was awesome so November is a good time to go.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Joanne L
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We decided to try the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa for our 15th anniversary. We were there from October 19th to the 26th. The bus ride from the airport was 1 hour. We arrived at 1:30 PM. We were greeted with a welcome drink, now don't get excited, it is just a sweet fruit drink, but a nice touch.

CHECK IN:
We waited in line but were not upset, just happy to be there after being up all night. When we got up to the desk, we were told we had a room on the ground floor. My husband politely asked the sweet check in girl if the hotel had received our e-mail requesting a second floor room and she went and found it. It just happened that her supervisor was working right next to her and we were put into a second floor room, with an extra bedroom, call us LUCKY.

We were in 2118 a room with a king size bed and an extra bedroom with a double bed. Each block has a concierge desk manned by two people. Our desk was exceptional. This is where you book your a la cartes. We booked ours the second day, since we were up all night the day we arrived and it was no problem getting the times we wanted.

Rooms.
OK, I will not lie, we had a couple of problems. I was ready to dry my hair and WHAT, the hair dryer didn't work. Hubby called the Conceirge desk and presto an electrician was there, problem fixed. We used the jacuzzie one night and didn't make sure to turn the hand held nozel off tight and when we got back, room was flooded, not the hotels fault, but the staff was there in a minute to help and our room was cleaned in half an hour. TIP, put your shoes and luggage up in case of foolish mistakes, like not shutting off the water tight. Other than that, the beds were comfortable, and the room was lovely and very spaceous. The bathroom was huge and very clean, especially after our mishap, LOL.

Beach
The beach is lovely. You have two choices, they are both kinda in coves. The first one is a little bit rocky, but the second on by the Riviera side is great. Just walk in, no shoes required, bring a banana and watch the fish swim right around you. The beach waitresses made me tired, they work soo hard, 32 degrees and running to please people.

The food was excellent. The buffet has so much variety, where in the world can you get filet mignon at 10;AM, HA HA. If you get a chance, try the coconut ice cream.

Pools
The swim up pool and the quiet pool were the only ones open. The other swim up pool,(rivieria side) wasn't opened. The swim up pool was full of activity. The entertainment team were soo busy, they kept everyone that was bored busy. I didn't get a chance to get into the swim up bar, but walked by it a few times and the punters looked happy. Try the lazy river, it is a fun thing to do on a lazy afternoon.

Tips
The place is huge, short cuts can be learned . The bar doesn't open until 9, but the coffee shop opens at 8 am and they have balieys.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Lois P
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa from Oct 20 - 27th, 2012. The staff were really GREAT! Especially Diego, Fernando, Louis and Regalio. Diego, Fernando and Louis the concierge in my building were awesome. They helped me book my a la cart dinners and gave me an extra a la cart dinner which I very much appreciated as there were so many excellent restaurants to choose from. They even supplied me with aloe vera lotion when I got burnt to a crisp. Regalio in the buffet restaurant was very helpful and his service was excellent. My room was very large and well kept. Rebeca the maid was also very nice and polite and my room was always very clean everyday with fresh towels and fresh bed linens. I am planning to come back next year again.

Nana

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Nana1968
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Staff was amazing from the moment we arrived!!! Beautiful place. Rooms were large and cleaned every day. Such a comfortable and safe place to be. Pool bar was our personal favorite! Jose kept us in drinks all week!!! We started planning out trip for next year before even left! Can't wait to get back!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2012

STAFF- We have never stayed anywhere where the staff were so great! ALL the staff, from the receptionist to the construction crews seemed sincerely happy to be there and wanted to make your trip the best it could be. I am not exaggerating. These guys bent over backwards for us. Each building has its own concierge, which makes it super easy to find answers to questions and get help. Examples…
The bed was too hard for me so I asked if they had foam pads and by the time we returned to our room three hours later it was in place.
We were looking for the ice cream parlour and asked a young lady how to get to it and she said “ I will take you there” and she escorted us ( this happened a few times ).
I reported a possible turtle nesting to our concierge and he called security and reported it while we were there so he would be sure to get the facts straight.
I have a wheat allergy and that was added to my file. When we arrived at the a la cartes they knew about it and made sure I selected appropriate dishes. Once I ordered a dessert and before it arrived the maitre’d came over to notify me that the chef had said it would not be appropriate and suggested another dish.
DH remarked to the waiter at the Mexican restaurant on Saturday that he LOVED the strawberry tequila shooter we tried there and the waiter told us he would get a bottle for us if we could meet him at a certain time and place on Monday since Sunday was his day off ( who does that!!) .
Suffice to say the staff alone would bring me back to this resort . Not a grumpy one anywhere, anytime.

FOOD – Huge buffets with piping hot dishes. I counted 20 stations at the breakfast buffet and each station had at least 5 dishes to choose from. Two short order chefs cooking meat, eggs, fish, etc to order. No line-ups.
A la cartes…These had to be reserved which is not as fun as just showing up. We were allowed 3 a week, but we actually had 5 and could have had more. Just ask and if it is slow season they will try to accomodate you. The building concierge looks after this . I found it easier to eat at the ala cartes with an allergy as the waiter will check with the chef on ingredients. We enjoyed all the meals we had and ate at the Cajun, Mediterranean, Mexican, and Steak House. Mexican was our favourite so we ate there twice
We were also pleased that there was mexican food available at the buffet all week long, even breakfast. Nothing worse than going to Mexico and not finding any authentic mexican food to eat!

ROOMS- Wow! All the rooms are Junior suites with a sitting area with couch, chair, and table. There is also a desk. The bathroom is huge with private toilet area, shower, and huge jacuzzi tub that will fit two. Nice amenities with strong hair dryer, make-up mirror, toiletries, etc. Nice balcony with glass instead of rails and a clothesline. No ants or insects that I could find, no mold, and even though I had read that the rooms smelled moldy ours certainly didn’t. We were in room 2547 on the third floor. Lovely jungle view and when we stepped into the open concept hallway we had a great ocean view greet us. And after a long day of walking we really appreciated the elevators!

BIRDS AND NATURE – This is a big attraction to me. I love seeing birds and critters that I can’t find at home. I was hoping with the big natural grounds at Sirenis there would be lots of exploring and I was right. But the best thing we found was the secluded inlet/lagoon heading south towards Yal Ku and the secluded turtle beach.
The first morning I was up early and headed out. We were on the Mayan Beach side next to the iron shore. I headed down a quiet road which leads to the Disco, found a small path heading towards the ocean, and stumbled upon an isolated sandy beach covered in turtle nest holes, sea fans, egg shells, tons of great beach combing stuff, and not a person in site! Wow! I ran back to get DH and we parked ourselves there for the morning. A breeze, the surf, the hot sun…paradise. And only two minutes from our room. That evening I returned at 5 pm hoping to spot a hatching but not expecting to. What I did find …fresh turtle tracks leading from the water to the top of the beach and back again. Hmmm...
A couple of days later we decided to hike south along the iron shore towards Yal Ku to see how far we could get. About ten minutes past the Disco we came across the most beautiful spot we have ever seen in the Caribbean…and we had it all to ourselves. I swam in the crystal water with the fish, birdwatched, and revelled in the ultimate peace and quiet just minutes from a huge AI with all the goodies. How perfect!! We visited it again later in the week and it is our fav spot . From the point we could just see the condos on Yal Ku farther south, but this inlet was much quieter and just as pretty. And it was all ours.There are lots of birding and nature opportunities in GS.
SNORKELING Off beach snorkeling is a must for us and I enjoyed it here more than anywhere else I have stayed. I had my best encounters here, felt it was easy and safe, and there were no crowds or tours to contend with. It was shallow enough to allow for great viewing, but deep enough that I wasn’t concerned with hitting corals. Even when it was windy it was enjoyable.
I laughed the first day we went in because we found a turtle within 30 seconds in 3’ of water and had him all to ourselves while the tourists were lined up to go on a tour to Akumal to see turtles for $60 or something. I was glad they went. There was a nice variety and number of fish and I saw my first lionfish – just a little one about 4”. DH saw a tiny baby ray. I hung out with gorgeous supermale stoplight parrot fish for a long time and swam with a school of blue tang. Lots of parrot fish, beautiful huge shelf corals, sea fans, gorgonians, brain corals. Really lovely. I felt no desire to go elsewhere to get my snorkel fix.

ENTERTAINMENT With a kids pool, two activity pools, a quiet relaxing pool, lord knows how many bars, a health bar, an ice cream parlour, a HUGE Spa, tennis courts, bike tours (which was fun- thanks Hugo) , great night shows in a huge palapa, daily buffets on the beach with prawns, seafood paella, etc…well, there is truly something for everyone. Even peace and quiet and alone time on a secluded beach.

WHAT I WOULD CHANGE
Wifi – it is not included free and only available in the lobby, and expensive. A resort of this calibre should have free wifi in the lobby. We purchased it twice and it worked well when we did.
Reservations for A la cartes – I don’t like to have to reserve where and when I eat days ahead. Reminds me of cruise ships. But there are no line ups this way and we were able to get extra bookings just by asking. And the food was good.
Bracelets – My first AI in the Dominican didn’t use bracelets and it was SO nice. The colour of your towel told staff what class of guest you were.
Bikes- I would have loved to have rented a bike to get around but they were only available for tours. Then again, you wouldn’t want to run into drunken tourists on bikes everywhere you went.
Time share push – The building concierge will invite you to a presentation. We met several guests who had purchased this option and loved it. I found the concierge to be a little pushier than I would have liked, but once I made it clear I wasn’t interested he dropped it. You have to have a visa card to go to the presentation and get the freebies so next time I will just say we didn’t bring one.
Jet Skis – I hate those things. Noisy, smelly, dangerous to snorkelers and turtles. And they are right by the beach. Yuck. I found the noise from these distracting even in the relaxing pool.

THINGS TO CONSIDER
There is a LOT of walking. DH runs 5 km a day, but after the first day he stopped because we were doing so much walking. By the end of the week I was in much better walking shape. Be sure to take comfy shoes! There is a trolley, and lots of shortcuts, but if you like to explore like we do you will be covering a lot of territory.

ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
I was impressed with many of their inititatives. No mangroves had been removed and there is a bridge over a large mangrove area. Plants were removed proir to construction and kept in a nursery for later use. The turtle nesting beach was maintained by the security staff, cleared weekly of logs and branches that would hinder babies and females, nests marked and recorded. They pass out a gift bag with biodegradable products including bug spray. There is minimal disturbance of the natural vegetation. They avoid the use of straws and explain why…good stuff.

I would most definitely go back, and considering the price I paid I was blown away.

Room Tip: The glass patio doors are very effective at cutting out the noise from the theatre. We had a north f...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank MomRulesAll
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Rooms were very large and well kept, was very pleased when we walked in.

Resort is very Large, but was mainly all within a decent walking distance still.
All the wildlife on the resort is really nice to see, from Iguanas, lizards, Geckos, Raccoons, and so on. We were able to hand feed the iguanas and raccoons, was really neat.

Pools were cleaned nightly, entertainment staff was great at getting people involved in pool activities. Alex and Johnny were excellent.

All of the staff on the resort was extremely corteous and respectful.

Beach, only regret of the stay. We went to the beach on our 1st full day, was loaded with rocks, we found out later in the week that the other side of the resort has a nicer beach section, unfortunately we found this with only 1 day remaining. Great sandy bottom and excellent snorkelling with a lot of reef right off the beach.

The disco was a very nice setup, impressed with the style as it reminded of a home club atmosphere.

Overall, we had an excellent week at this resort, very minimal rain, and some improvements being made to the resort.

• Stayed: October 2012