We booked our holiday over 12 months in advance and read many reviews good and bad. We were 2 families with 3 children 2 x 17 year olds and a 1 x 15 year old. This holiday from start to finish was fabulous.
Flight - On time both ways an amazing amount of legroom, good films and food.
Hotel - We had three rooms booked and after all the reviews of smelly rooms and open planned bathrooms we were slightly concerned. The rooms were huge, the bathrooms caused no problems the toilet and showers had frosted glass doors so plenty of privacy.. Of the rooms only one smelt slightly damp but once aircon was on the smell went. It was very hot and humid and if you left the doors open the floors got wet quickly. This may well account for some of the worries about the damp smell.
Food - Was fabulous from the buffet to the beach bar to the Al a Carte restaurants the Japanese and Cajun were our favourites. The coffee shop and ice cream parlour were a great treat.
Drinks - Were brilliant the cocktails were fabulous i never got bored of the drinks as there was plenty to choose from.
Beach - Beautiful there was never a fight for beds as there was plenty available. Lupita was always there bringing us drinks all day she was missed on her day off. We had the privilege of seeing a turtle laying her eggs one night on a quiet part of the beach a part of the holiday i will never forget.
Staff - All the staff were lovely always smiling and wanting to help no-one expected tips, the Canadians continually tipped but i think they were aware that the Brits tipped now and again for what we considered good service. I cannot remember the names of the ladies who worked in the quiet Lobby bar but they were fabulous at looking after us.
Wildlife - Raccoon's and Iguanas and many other weird and wonderful animals made our holiday.
Trips - We went to Akumal beach twice as it was so beautiful. We swam with Rays and turtles and all for the price of a 30 peso each bus ride. We walked from the hotel about half a mile to the main road where for 30 pesos each the local bus will take you to Akumal beach you walk over the flyover and then about half mile walk to the beach. There was a lovely bar and the food was also reasonably priced and very nice. We managed to get a taxi back for 200 peso for the 7 of us. It did take a bit of negotiating but they weren't busy so we had a bit of negotiating power and we were willing to walk back to the main road to get a bus if all else failed. We also booked the Xel Ha with Thomas Cook it was a brilliant All Inclusive day out and well worth every penny for all ages. We also went to Coco Bongos VIP this is NOT to be missed if you can get to go its one of the best night out i have ever had.
All in all it was fab we will definitely go back. 5 Star it may not be but it's definitely a 4 plus. The staff though are 5 Star
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Akumal, Mexico