“One day at the Sirenis”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
alberta
“One day at the Sirenis”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Friends at the Serinas hosted us for a day at the resort. they were very pleased with what they were experiencing and wished to share it, we are condo folks and never do the AI thing. Started the day started off with a massive very good breakfast in a humoungous dining room, set up to handle hundreds of guests.. Some time prior to our arrival our friends had been down to the beach and "towelled" several loungers at the beach. We were several rows back from the water because many others had been up at 6 or 7 o'clock and "towelled" the prime locations. Our towels had tanned for about three hours by the time we arrived but they were happy to see us. We then nestle down with several hundred other sunworshippers to soak up the sun and to make a few short jaunts to the water and a couple of beers served by a nice waitress. Next up, lunch on the beach from a near by snack bar. Still bloated from the massive breakfast we had shrimp prepared right there and buffalo wings which were quite excellent. Our hosts had not "towelled" places at one of the pools so there were no spots at the better pools for us. We did manage to find room at a pool with a very active swim up bar. It was fun watching the inebriated young people learning sexy line dances and an ironman competition involving chugging beer, carrying a lime on a spoon and some pushups.....we had to clear our family out of the pool so that this entertainment could take place. In the hour or so we were at this pool we salvaged 4 drink glasses from the bottom of the pool. We enjoyed a super coffee at the special coffee shop then went back to the room (with no view) to leave. fortunately our host advised us to put my wallet in the safe because the 100 pesos or so I had left in my pocket was gone. It is hard to compliment staff under this circumstance.
Overall this was a " mehhh experience" and severed to confirm reasons for not going the AI Resort for vacationing.

Room Tip: ask about the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mallardalta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,766)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We just came back from this resort after a week vacation (Mar 24-31st). It was roughly a 40 minute drive from the airport on an air conditioned bus with great entertainment, it went by quick. Once we got there we were greeted with cocktails. There were three of us total in two different rooms and they ended up moving us close together, close the the pool bar at no extra cost. The resort it huge, very clean, definitely worth the 5 star status. The food was amazing, even the buffet was great, but if I had to choose one a la carte it would be the Japanese restaurant, it was delicious, try to get Max as your chef!
Overall it was a great trip, I will definitely be going back to this resort. The one thing worth mentioning is this is a family/relaxing type of resort. It your looking for your spring break crowd look elsewhere But not to say it wasn't fun, it was, lots of drinks, and the disco is actually a lot of fun. Go here, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask to see a map of the resort and choose your room when you get there rather than pay up front befo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank Muller11
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya from March 21-28. I had read most of the reviews on this site prior to our departure, and chose to take most of the really nasty ones with a grain of salt as my experience in the past has been that disgruntled travellers take time out to write reviews far more often than do happy travellers.

Boy, am I glad that we bit the bullet and went. I had an absolutely wonderful time here. The thing that immediately stood out to me is the staff. Every employee we encountered at this resort works HARD and still manages to be friendly. Rarely did we walk past an employee who didn't give us a kind smile and a gentle "hola."

Let's break this down into categories for easier reading:

ROOMS:
Our room was very clean and fresh, our cleaning lady always did a wonderful job and we always tipped her a couple of bucks. There were a couple of days when I wished that she had come by earlier, sometimes she didn't get there until quite late in the day, but... minor details. The bedding and decor in the rooms could stand to be updated, but truly did not bother me that much. The beds, yes, are firmer than what many of us are probably used to, but I swear I slept better my entire week there than I ever do at home. I would caution anybody NOT travelling as a well-established couple to request to NOT get a room with the 'hole in the wall' if you want to enjoy a bit of privacy in the bathroom. I was with my husband so it wasn't a huge deal for us, but I can certainly see how it would be for others. Apparently some rooms have a stained glass partition there instead of a hole, consider e-mailing ahead to request that.

FOOD & DRINKS:
We were pleased with the food. I am a vegetarian, and I NEVER went hungry for one second. In fact, by our third day I commented to my husband that I somewhat missed the feeling of being hungry. You will have so many food choices at your disposal if you head to this resort. Some of the buffet food is mediocre, but you quickly figure out your favourite things. We went to 3 a la carte restaurants: Italian, Mexican, and Japanese. The Japanese was by far our favourite. Delicious and entertaining. I also really enjoyed the Italian. The Mexican was good but was probably my least favourite of the three if I had to pick. We e-mailed ahead of time to reserve our spots, and then saw a concierge to get our tickets once we arrived at the resort. It's also important to note that this resort has a number of 'food' & 'drink' amenities that I have never before seen at another resort: a cute little coffee shop, an ice-cream parlor, and a health bar when you can get fresh smoothies. Bar drinks were delicious. My husband took a special liking to Luis in the Riviera Maya lobby bar - and tipped him accordingly (these people are flat out busy, they deserve it!) Try the Miami Vice, that was one of our favourites.

POOLS:
There are 2 quite large entertaining activity pools - the entertainment staff was great. Then there is a 'quiet' or 'relaxing' pool for the more reserved folk. There is a kiddie pool for the kids (and I believe even a daycare, which is fantastic for families with children). Another feature of this resort that you don't find at many others is the Lazy River. You can hop in a tube and let the current take you on a relaxing ride. I enjoyed floating down the river with a refreshing drink in my hand.

BEACH:
I was EXTREMELY happy with the beach. The sand was great in areas. It was not like the pure powder I have experienced on Thai beaches, but what makes this beach so unique and special to me is the SNORKELLING. There is an entire underwater world to discover just off the shoreline. The coral was spectacular. I highly recommend bringing water shoes, a snorkel, and a mask with you to this resort. If you don't take advantage of the snorkelling you will be missing out on one of the best aspects this resort has to offer in my opinion. Breath-taking.

SPA:
We did the water circuit (the price for one was included in the cost of our room and we didn't know it until the day we booked!) We paid only $20-something to do this and it was entirely worthwhile and relaxing. We enjoyed it so much that on our last day we went back and got the moisturizing body treatment (we both had fairly bad sunburns). Staff at the spa were kind and professional and our treatment was top-notch.

NIGHT SHOWS:
We went to a couple of night shows, the Lion King, the Mexican Show, and part of the Rock Show. We were impressed with all of these productions.

EXCURSIONS:
We did the Aventuras Maya snorkelling excursion. I enjoyed snorkelling in the cavern, though there was not really much underwater life to be seen. The sinkhole was somewhat pointless unless you want to jump off a cliff or zipline into the water, and we were really disappointed with the snorkelling at the lagoon. We felt that the snorkelling was much better right on our resort.

GENERAL:
- I do wish that Wireless internet was included in the price of the room, it seems a bit outdated to have to pay for that service this day in age. We needed an internet connection to be in touch with people back home. We did pay for the service, and there were a couple of times when the connection was shoddy. We contacted the front desk and they were very helpful. Fixed it up for us right away.

-It's important to note, with all of the things about Mexico in the news lately, that we felt extremely safe at this resort.

-There is a Mayan Ruin right on the beach, which only adds to the beautiful scenery.

-We truly LOVED the design of this resort. Clean, airy, minimal, simplistic, yet reminiscent of the Mayan ruins. Just beautiful.

-The resort IS very large but not once did we have an issue with that (other than the time we walked to see the disco, which is WAY out of the way!) We figured out shortcuts pretty quickly. If you are elderly or injured in some way, there are shuttles jetting back and forth constantly.

-The Riviera Maya and the Mayan Beach portions are both part of the same resort, and you can access things on both sides, which is a plus.

-We were not hounded ONCE by timeshare people. Not even a paper under the door, as some others have mentioned. We were extremely happy about this, yet half offended, haha. We like to think that we look SO young that the powers-that-be just didn't think we would be able to afford it. :) In all seriousness, I would not have been receptive to being hounded by a timeshare rep, so I'm glad that we were left alone. People don't pay money to go to a resort to be pressured into spending more. Hard not to notice the comfortable beds in the roped off areas that the 'premium travellers' get to enjoy, though.

-There are lizards EVERYWHERE, which is something we quite enjoyed. The raccoons, on the other hand, made us rather uncomfortable on a few occasions! In any case, I believe that these 'resort raccoons' are probably accustomed to people and will tend to do their own thing.

TO SUMMARIZE:
I am sure I probably forgot many things in this lengthy review, but the important thing to take away from it is that I honestly cannot say enough good things about this place. I have been thinking about it non-stop ever since we returned and will definitely be planning a trip back there someday in the not-so-distant future. I have a feeling it may very well become my home away from home. There are always minor things that people might change if they could snap their fingers and make it happen, but if I could snap my fingers right now - the only thing I would want is to be there again!!! :) Book this resort with confidence.

Room Tip: We had a regular garden-view room, and I do not know if the ocean-view rooms are worth it or not. We...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
26 Thank lrlpalmer
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2012

After reading reviews I was a little bit worried about what we would experience but keeping in mind some if the complaints quickly after arriving I realized some people will complain about ANYTHING. For example, people complained about the bridge saying that it is warped. First of all it is made of wood and wood gets old and second of all you are not suppose to be walking on the bridge anyways, thats why there is a perfectly sufficient sidewalk provided.

Everything about this resort was absolutely amazing. I have never met more friendly staff in my life. Huge shout out to Victor the golf cart driver, this man is adorable and will literally do anything for you. Another few favorites were Valerie and Victoria who were both very friendly and willing to answer any questions.

The biggest shout out of all tho goes out to Oscar. This man seriously did not stop the entire week. He went out of his way to ensure that EVERYONE on the resort was having the best time possible. He always said Hi to us and made sure everything on our trip was going well. He was always smiling and just all around the happiest person ever to be working 16 hours a day every single day.

Other good things at this resort, the rooms were gorgeous, the pool was always perfect temperature and very well maintained. The bar service was all usually quite quick and the beach was beautiful

I would for sure recommend this resort to anyone and plan to return myself in the very near future!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 24 which was a little distant from the pool and beach but the walk was scenic...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Christine R
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We just arrived home from a 1 week stay at Grand Serenis Maya Hotel & Spa and We don't have a single complaint. This resort is fabulous. We hated to leave. I never imagined our honeymoon would be as great as it was. The staff at this resort go out of their way to help you and make sure you are satisfied. We also spent an afternoon in their amazing spa. The food was out of this world and the resort was always clean. I would recommend this to everyone I know. And we are already saving in hopes to return next year. 5star + can't say enough good things about this resort. Can't wait to go back :) Forgot to mention the amazing entertainment staff, the shows are a must. and the activities during the day are a blast! If you are debating if this is the place to go TRUST ME...it is!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Terri R
Glovertown, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We got back from the resort a couple of days ago. Resort was very nice, but when we checked our bank statement discovered that we had been charged a HEFTY service fee of $106.40 for taking out $600 at the ATM machine at the resort. Next time I will make sure we take out our money before we leave home. Then again, maybe we won't spend any money there at all. And we also discovered that the prices in the duty-free shops were much, much cheaper than vendors at the resort and in to Playa de Carmen. Will shop at airport next time............

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Mae H
Salisbury
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Returned on 3/29/12 from Grand Sirenis. Didn't know what to expect when some of the reviews were negative. Couldn't find "anything" negative about this beautiful resort. The staff was excellent. They couldn't have done more for us, and were very respectful. The resort had many "extra touches" we have never experienced anywhere. The Spa is the best we have ever been to, and the staff at the Spa was very professional, especially Monica. She was very efficient and took care of all of our needs while we were at the Spa. I highly recommend visiting the first full day, and the day before you leave. We had to go back the second time because the experience was so wonderful. The rooms were very clean, the hotel property was very clean. Everyone had a great time in our group, and people who were vacationing at the resort were very friendly. Couldn't believe every block had their own concierge. Neto was great, as was the rest of the group in Block 1800. Great location, close to beach. Never ran out of things to do during the day. I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: I highly recommend a room close to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Kathy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!