“Very thorough review of an amazing vacation! Link to lots of pics!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Fergus, ON
“Very thorough review of an amazing vacation! Link to lots of pics!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

Amazing Resort, Perfect vacation, for us a true 10 out of 10 experience!
We're in our late 20's and looked for a romantic & mature, but also fun & relaxing destination & that's exactly what we found.

The resort has amazing eye-candy, layout, buildings, décor, property and layout, all perfect. Swimming choices are vast and great, from quiet mature pools, to activity pools with swim ups, to amazing beach with great coral & snorkeling! The Lazy River was another plus! Food was great, tonnes of choice never got sick of it or from it.
Staff was excellent in all ways. Nothing went wrong, perfect spot!

If we didn’t want to see other corners of the world, I never vacation anywhere else but Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya! Great bang for your buck!

I've written a very detailed review if you wish to know a lot more details. If you like to do extensive research before you travel, this is what the in depth review is for. If you'd rather discover for yourself, pass by.

Link to in depth review:

Link to in photos for detailed look at resort & activities:

10 Thank jayghart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,661)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Homer Glen, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

I like to do my reviews by categories. I typed a whole review awhile back, hit "back" by accident, and everything was erased. I'm finally retyping my review.

Check In- Was very prompt. Was greeted right away with drinks ("Blue Lagoons") and we were able to get a preferred area of our choice where we wanted to have our room located. Staff was very helpful, and delivered our luggage to our room before we even got there.

Building- The buildings, for being newer, looked a bit worn. However, the buildings are very light and pretty solid concrete (i think) so any kind of dirt or weathering will easily show up. Also, by the pool some of the poles holding up the coverings by the buffet were a bit rusted and should be repainted. (This is probably due to sea salt wearing away at the metal, no biggie) Like I said, everything on the inside is clean and spotless. Yes, the grounds are very large, however I did not use the shuttle once. We discovered a lot of short cuts. I wouldn't suggest kids or seniors here though. Take them to a smaller resort.

Room- The rooms are very decently sized. We had a king-sized bed, which was comfortable and soft for me and my boyfriend, but my parents said their bed was a bit hard. The rooms were also very clean! The marble floors were shining and the bathroom was spotless, as well as the shower and jacuzzi/tub. I am a clean freak/ germaphobe and they definitely passed my inspection for having the room cleaned. Bad thing about marble floors, if you have any glass items such as perfume or cologne or water glasses, be careful. Right before we left the hotel my boyfriend dropped his Armani cologne and it shattered all over the bathroom. We cleaned it up as much as possible before we had to go but left the maids a nice tip for the trouble. The water pressure seemed a bit low in the jacuzzi, which took awhile to fill up. However, the water pressure in the toilet/shower seemed just fine. The bathrooms are a bit awkward.... some rooms have a hazed-glass panel in the view between the room and bathroom by the tub (which we had) some don't have a glass barrier where there is a wide open view....hmm that can be a bit awkward if youre sharing a room with someone which isn't a spouse/partner.

Pools- There were pools located all over the resort, some I didn't even get a chance to see or find. We mainly stayed at the activity pool with the swim-up bar because that's where the all action usually was. They had a lively pool host "Chaco" or a some name of that nature who was hilarious and entertaining. They had several quiet pools and a large pool near the restaurants that was more quiet.

Kids- This resort wasn't too kid friendly or appealing for children. Fortunately, no kids were included in our trip but if you're planning to bring them, I suggest to go somewhere else. Some parents who opted to go to the spa or golf actually dropped their kids off at the pool and leave them there unattended for strangers to try to tame them....with no other adults related to them around to watch them.... (really?), where they got in the way and ended up being really annoying and walked around dumping pool water on innocent guests' heads who were trying to enjoy themselves. Finally the pool activities worker noticed, making an announcement for the children to stop and asking where they're parents were. ***If you are planning to have an adult trip and do adult activites, make sure someone is there to watch your children. Don't dump them with random strangers to run wild.

Staff- VERY FRIENDLY! Always smiling and they looked like they were having as good as a time as I was. The bartenders and the swim-up bar in the activity pool Rudy and Leonardo were exceptional! They made the best drinks and were very very friendly! The pool/beach waitresses were also soo nice and were there to offer you a drink whenever needed. They were also had a smile on their face as well. They also spoke English surprisingly well too, probably because this resort if American- owned.

The housekeeping were the only staff who did not speak English too well, and barged in on me in the middle of changing on the day of our arrival....(we got in the room earlier than we expected with check-in so they probably didn't expect us to be there...no biggie, but they could have knocked at least!) They did the job of cleaning the rooms very well though so I cannot really have anything to say negatively about them.

Food- The coffee house was great in the morning for a quick pick me up after breakfast. (We were up early every morning to ensure we had good pool/beach side seats) The iced coffees were delicious and my boyfriend (who is a diabetic) and I enjoyed using the Mexican Splenda! :D Breakfast always had great options. (typical breakfast buffet, omelet station, eggs to order, waffles, bacon, sausage, pancakes, ect.) My parents said the bacon tasted a bit "gamey" for them, but mexican bacon may be prepared different than U.S. bacon. I am a vegetarian (well, pescetarian because i eat seafood) so I cannot give a valued opinion on any meat, however they had PLENTY of options for me in the buffet and regular restaurants. They even had a whole little section in the buffet area labeled "Vegetarian" :D The lunch buffet was also decent. I usually ate at the one near the activity pool (a bit smaller, but had plenty) I feel that the food wasn't as warm there as it was in the main buffet though. Also, in the pool buffet it is VERY warm in there because there's no A/C. It's all open door/window so the "natural breeze" is supposed to keep you cool in that room. If you do visit this buffet, make sure you have proper bathing suit cover-up material and shoes....they do not let anyone in the buffet area without sandals/shoes or without a shirt. Which is good, because I don't want to view anyone in a speedo or bikini that doesn't have the body to be in a speedo or bikini while i eat my food...just saying. ;] We ate at the Mediterranean restaurant as well as the Japanese. Despite poor reviews, I thought the Mediterranean was actually decent. Then again, I was got very "tipsy" at the pool earlier so I was craving any type of food. I had the flounder which was very juicy and good. My mother and uncle had the steak which they liked and my dad had some other type of fish which he did enjoy as well. The Japanese was okay. I'm half Japanese so I know what real temppanyaki Japanese cuisine and sushi should taste like. My terriyaki shrimp was good, and I got A LOT of it, but my parents/aunt/uncle/and boyfriend said the chicken/steak was a bit on the dry side. The chef didn't ask how they wanted their meat prepared either. The sushi was mediocre. Also, during dinner buffets, where there is a different nationality of food each night, the staff dresses that style too. It was soo cute!

Beach- Bars everywhere in general. If you can't find a bar here, you have to be extremely stupid and/or blind. Snorkeling was great. Fish everywhere in the shallow waters. Their own little Mayan ruin was a nice touch as well. A bit of a climb to get to the actual little building, but worth the pictures! CAUTION! When getting in the actual water..... there are ROCKS. Large to small. They hurt. Though I was able to survive water shoe-free, it hurt. I fell in the water a few times tripping over rocks. WEAR SOME KIND OF WATER SHOES. Yes, there are some spots with no rocks, but you need to memorize where the spots are otherwise, brace yourself. I heard recently they're working on removing the rocks, if this is so then this will make the beach 100x better. However, the water is absolutely GORGEOUS. The scenery throughout the whole resort is very very nice.

Activities- My boyfriend and I went parasailing. SO FUN! I suggest you try it. Obviously they offered jet skiing, snorkeling, ect. as well.

Liquor- Premiuim liquor was NOT used for the bars besides the main lobby bar. Keep that in mind.

Check Out- Very quick and prompt. They gave us "To-Go" bags for the ride to the airport. It was very early so it consisted of a few scones/muffins and bottled waters. It was a nice unexpected touch because usually resort don't even give you anything to leave with.

They started renovating the rooms so hopefully this resort will be even better the next time around.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
8 Thank ashleyxmarie
Guelph
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Review of Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya

If you are reading this, you are probably considering this resort like we were - don't let the negative reviews dissuade you. Remember, noone can please everyone all the time. In a nutshell, the place is great, but large and busy with people, but well kept, the staff are friendly and helpful, the food and drinks are fantastic, and there are a ton of amenities and activities. We felt very safe. If the price is right, go for it.

Now into a more detailed review of the place because we like doing detailed reviews. Even if noone reads it.

First of all, some people are comparing this 5* resort with 5* hotels in Canada/USA. I don't think you can do that. It was the week before March break. Went with Thomas Cook/Sunquest (I’m still trying to figure out the marriage there). We are a couple 34/27yrs and have traveled to 5* in Cuba, and lesser stars in Costa Rica, El Salvador, Cuba, Dominican and Mexico. Overall this resort falls a bit short of 5* in my opinion. The food and many services are probably 5* but the rooms are not, and the fact that it felt quite crowded to me puts it at below 5* status.

Accommodations:

The bus ride is about 1hr20 min. Checkin was a breeze, it was done quickly and there was very little waiting. You are welcomed with a fruity drink at the counter. They offered to upgrade us to an ocean view room for about 180 pesos each, per night, and we declined. We found our way to our room on our own. Room was nice, temp was good, we were welcomed with a fruit tray and a bottle of tequila also ! There are 2 beers and about 4 soft drinks in the fridge, replenished daily. I asked the maid for more beer and one day we got 4, but apparently that was the max. They did bring a bottle of champagne one day. Note - you need a bottle opener for the beers. The bed is not a 5* bed and neither are the pillows. We found the odd stain on the bedding and the towels which is not acceptable to me in a 5* resort, or even a 3. There is mold on the ceiling of the shower. Didn’t bother me (Melanie didn’t even notice) but it might bother some. Everything else in the bathroom is adequate. There was a Jacuzzi tub which was great, but it does take about 30 minutes to fill up. Gave us time for an extra glass of champagne. The door to the adjoining room, and the one to the hallway did not seal noise very well (in fact, sounded paper thin) and I was awakened late at night due to some raucous in the room next door.

People:

Mostly couples (old and young) and young families. Not really a place for single mingling I wouldn’t think. We met a nice couple Loren and Tracy. hi !! if you're reading this. Most are from Canada and a few from the US and various parts of Europe. Very few locals. The staff, who I give a full 5 stars to, is all very energetic, friendly, and smile and say "hola!" at every opportunity. Most speak decent english. One big feature for us was the fact that each building (of bedrooms) had its own concierge desk on the main floor where you can book the restaurants and inquire about anything. This was a very nice touch at this resort.

Resort Layout:

I think the designer of the resort had too much tequila and was attempting to draw the number 8 on a napkin and then concluded that the resultant drawing would be a good plan for the path layout of the resort. It is a big resort and takes time to get from one part to another, but that's a blessing too, because the grounds are lush and well kept and it adds a layer of privacy to things. The resort has two sections. The part that is to the south or left (as seen from the sea) is more private and lush. The part on the right (north) is the main part with the buffet, theatre, etc. We were in the "right" section. Another time I’d opt for the south side. It feels like it takes a while to get to the beach but that's because the paths are snakey. Not filled with snakes though. Iguanas - yes. All over. There are two lobby bars, two pool bars, 2 beach bars (one that's hidden behind the Members Only roped off section and they have the better Modelo beer there!!), an ice cream bar, a coffee bar, and a health bar (for non alc shakes etc) - I made the mistake of asking for a Cerveza there on the first day. The buffet is up a couple of flights of stairs and felt somewhat distant because of that. Main lobby bar was always busy in the evening; smaller lobby bar was often much less crowded and had a cozier feel than the huge open auditorium feel of the main lobby bar.

The beach:

If you want pure white talcum sand, go to Punta Cana. The sand here is a bit coarse in spots and the beach is not really all that big given the number of rooms at this resort (1,000). Entrance and Egress to/from the water involves stepping on pieces of coral and shells. I must say, the beach felt crowded with every single chair full by 9:30 am and you were always jammed in with others. We found a secluded spot down the beach and took our towels there and had a nice relaxing few hours over by the Dive hut. You can walk the beach for a fairly short distance before you get into rough coral-y unkempt terrain. You can snorkel right off the beach and see nice fish. We did that and it was very cool !! The snorkels are free 1 hr per day, but they just spray them off with Scope afterwards and my girlfriend thinks she caught a cold by using them. If you have your own, bring them. Friendly staff come along and serve you drinks on your chairs which is nice. Beach towels are avail at the towel desk. The towel guy in there is interesting....

Food:

Awesome. The buffet was amazing, lots of variety. We did 3 a-la-cartes... Cajun, Mediterranean, and Japanese. All were great. The wait staff were pressed given the at-capacity nature of the restaurants; they did a great job but you could tell they were very rushed. Every table was booked with guests so it felt busy. Book your a-la-cartes early - esp the Japanese will "sell out" very quickly. All offer free house wine and the med had a wine list for optional purchases ($40 and up). There is an all-night buffet that we discovered after the Disco one night (thanks Loren!) with a Ltd. supply of snacky foods. Room service is included til 11 pm and we used it twice – once when we weren’t feeling well and got a pretty good pizza. If your bus leaves at 5:45 am on your departure day like ours did, the buffet is open for coffee and pastries at that time so you don’t need to worry about missing breakfast (well, if you really like eggs then I guess you’re SOL).

Activities :

Tennis, dance lessons, yoga, water volleyball, beach volleyball, soccer, snorkeling, scuba diving & lessons, bike tours of the resort... lots to do if you have time or inclination ! Tours abound to various places to snorkel or explore. Most things are $100 US each. A short haul snorkel by boat was $40. They have jet skis for $65 per half hr and parasailing or whatever, behind a boat, for $65 ea I think. For the shows, they had "Ideal couple" one night (audience participation), Grease, Lion King, Broadway, Rock n Roll night, all of which were done very well and highly entertaining. Two nights of the week vendors come in and set up their stuff in the back of the auditorium. There is a giftshop onsite but items are, as you would expect, a bit pricey.

Conclusion:

I certainly recommend this place, but we found it too busy overall. Our next trip will probably be to somewhere a bit quieter, smaller, more rustic and kind of “hidden”, as we didn’t feel as relaxed after this trip as we do with some.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank canuktrekker
Toronto Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

We are world travelers and have been to many countries in Asia, Europe, Africa and Caribbeans. Our average booking standard is 4+ or 5-star. I have to say this resort is massive and beautiful but in the end we were scammed by the resort's front desk. It is a shame for a resort like this! Here is our story.

We arrived at 2:30am on Feb. 26, 2011. Our 3 year old daughter was sleeping in the arms. There was only one person at the entire reception. He asked us if we would like to upgrade to an Ocean view room for $120 dollars cash. We had 5 luggage (2 for diving) and a 3-year-old sleeping in the arms, it would be hard to dig into luggage to get the cash for him.
I asked if it was worth it to upgrade because we already booked a family suite. and the guy was trying hard to sell it to us and guaranteed it was worth it.
So I said "I don't have the cash for you right now, can I give it to you tomorrow morning?"
He said "Well, then I will charge it into your room".
I agreed with no question. There was no invoice or any paper for me to sign. I thought that was how it is in Mexico without questioning.

The room he gave us was at first floor at the right corner in building 19 Yun Kaax. From the second day morning we realized why he was so keen to sell it to us. Building 19 was adding additions on the rooftop at each corner as Presidential Suite. and it was directly on top of our room 2 stories above. The construction made big noise that our 3-year old daughter never be able to have an afternoon nap for the entire stay. But the location was great, the view was awesome, so we decided to let go of the side effect and enjoy our time.

The nightmare happened when we checked out! Our bus was scheduled to leave at 6:50pm and we paid extra $10/hour for late check-out. When we got to the reception at 6:00pm, they gave us a bill of over 6,000 Pesos for room upgrade charge excluding late check-out fees!

We were stunned! That was over $500 dollars in room upgrades! So we asked to talk to their manager, they said "there is no manager here". So we asked to speak to their supervisor, they said "Our supervisor is not here either."
We asked to speak to the guy who charged us face to face but they said they could not find him. I said "I talked to him at noon to extend the room key, how could you not be able to find him?"
The answer was simply "No".

We said "We were told the upgrade was $120 dollars, how could you charge us so much?"
The lady at the front desk asked "Do you have a receipt for that?"
We said "No".
So she said: "Then you have to pay, you don't pay, you don't go."

We were completely stuck, the clock was ticking, our 3-year old daughter was hungry, the luggage were left unattend at the entrance, the luggage guy that we tipped generously to watch our luggage was too busy soliciting other visitors.

I went to the front entrance only to find out that the bus was coming in, the Sunquest tour guide lady could not offer any help or advise for our situation, and the bus driver said they could not wait for us and had to leave in a couple of minutes without us. I ran back in and saw our daughter was hungry and crying, my husband was still arguing with the front desk, some visitors surrounding him were curious about what was happening.

The front desk finally agreed to charge us $210, the lady used the calculator to time $210 by 12 exchange rate and showed us 2520 in Peso on the calculator and asked my husband to sign then they let us go. We ran as fast as we could to catch the bus before they left us behind.

Surprise Surprise, when we got back home, my husband took the final hotel charge out to check, we were charged 3720 Peso (excluding late check-out fees)! Not the amount 2520 showed on the calculator. That is $310 dollars! The Resort's last resort to scam their visitors at last minute right in front of our very own eyes!!!

There was definitely some under-table dark business going on at this Resort's front desk. Be aware!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Solo7SeasTraveler
Fort St. John, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

Amazing hotel!! It was very big so we did a lot of walking. Shuttles are available but hard to catch. Beach was rocky but amazingly beautful. The hotel was very clean and the staff was constantly cleaning and the service was bar none. We were married there at the beginning of March and the wedding corrdinator was great! She made the whole experience stress free and we were married on the beach in a roped off area. The officiant was great and we had champagne on the beach after the ceremony with all our guests. We also had the shuttle for 5 hours and he drove us around the resort to take pictures. The only hiccup with the wedding was before we even got there. Getting ahold of someone to book the wedding was difficult but as soon as we did it was easy after that. The resort is also located in a nice area. Far from the Cancun airport but a short taxi ride to Playa for some shopping and the ruins at Tulum. Would defeinately recommend this resort!!

2 Thank TShuya
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

Some of the reviews of this resort scared us but they were wrong. The food is my only complaint where I would say they go for quantity over quality. Lots of choices but not the best food I've had at an all-inclusive. The steak house was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was very large as well as nice. Our view was crappy but we didn't go there to look out the window. The beach is beautiful but there are lots of rocks so take water shoes. The activities pool was great for kids and was never crowded. There were lots of chairs available even late morning. The entertainment staff were fantastic and the nighly shows were by far the best I've seen at any resort. Lots of modern touches...love the energy conservation (need a room key in oerder for the lights to work). Theatre where the shows were held was great. Lots of seating and great view form most ares. Overall it was well worth the money and I think that some people just like to complain.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Dindy3378
Felton, DE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Feb 26 - Mar 4 and had quite an enjoyable visit. This was only my second "all inclusive" experience with the other being Jolly Beach in Antigua. Here's my opinion:
Transportation - We decided to get private transportation through USA transfers and they were spot on. We paid the driver in cash when he dropped us off and prayed that they'd come get us a week later! And they did. They were right on time.
Food - Overall it was average for both the buffet and the specialty restaurants. If you want top notch food on your vacation, then don't go to an all inclusive. I would not recommend the French restaurant, though, as the food there was not good at all, and I'm not a picky eater. DO visit the coffee shop, though! Excellent coffees.
Room - We upgraded to an oceanview room and it was worth every penny. They gave us a lobster dinner on the beach as part of our upgrade and that was a very nice experience. They cleaned the room every day, and we even asked if they could clean earler in the day vs. later in the afternoon and they easily accommodated that request.
Service - The service was excellent and staff was very courteous.
Beach - Lovely beach with boatloads of chairs and umbrellas. Staff come out, even to the far reaches of the beach, to take drink orders. Please tip them. They work hard.
Pool - This place has probably the nicest pool I've ever seen. The Lazy River is a must do as well. It is true that folks "save" chairs both at the pool and beach, which can be a bit frustrating at times. I can understand wanting your spot saved while you eat breakfast or take a trip down the lazy river, but we sat next to a pair of chairs at a prime spot at the pool that was "saved" with towels that never got used the entire morning. That just didn't seem fair to me, but you can't let stuff like that bother you while you're on vacation.
Spa - I highly recommend the spa. We were offered the water therapy package at a reduced price if we got a massage. We had planned to get a massage anyway, so we decided what the heck for the water therapy. What a good decision! Almost two hours of all different kinds of water massages, saunas, jacuzzis, etc. It was really fun.
Shows - We saw two shows: One was a band that imitated rock bands and the other was a Las Vegas type show. Both were good and entertaining (but not "wow - great").
Bars - We tried just about all the bars and they all made good drinks. The lobby bars probably made them a bit stronger. The sitting areas outside the lobbies are beautiful spots to sit back, relax with a drink, and people watch.
That's about it. Oh, and the weather was beautiful every day (even on days that called for rain.)

4 Thank LOMLGIRL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,820 reviews
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!