“Our second trip to Palladium”

Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, BC
“Our second trip to Palladium”
Reviewed November 29, 2009

We have just recently came back from our second vacation at Grand Palladium in Riviera Maya (Nov.15-22, 2009), this time it was Riviera side. Our first time was 3 years ago when we stayed at Colonial side. In the time between these trips we visited numerous resorts incl. a few Rius, Barcelo Tropical, Viva Wyndham Maya. We returned to Palladium again after the long deliberations as we usually like to try new places, but there are a few specific things that I need to have on the vacation that is not easy to find elsewhere for the reasonable price. For me is very important to have awesome long beach with the sandy areas for the swimming and rocky areas for snorkeling, plenty of shade palapas and palms, good food and nice place to have my morning coffee on the beach and something to do in the evenings (I do not care for the shows and prefer some life entertainment in the lobbies). From our previous trip we knew that it all can be found at Palladium and we were definitely not disappointed this time again.
Our trip was with the Signature Vacation with the direct flight on Air Transat from Vancouver, everything was on time and included transfer was quick as their separated people that were staying in other areas of Riviera Maya and we only had people from Puerto Aventuras on the bus - Barcelo, Palladium and Grand Bahia Principe so we only had one stop before getting to our resort.
We arrived very late after midnight but reception was working fine and check in was very quick. There is a Punta Emilia beach restaurant that is open 24/7 that we had a very nice meal at 1-30 am with freshly cooked for us Mexican dishes sitting 10 feet away from the sea...
We were accommodated in the building 60 at the Riviera side - awesome new room with king size bed and the sofa in the sitting area of the room, unreal ocean view, good size safe that probably fits laptop up to 14", fridge with the beer/soft drinks/water replaced daily, clean, big separated washroom with the jacuzzi and huge shower.
The food was OK, I have eaten better but good variety and I could always find something that I liked - lamb, duck, shrimp, smocked salmon, local cheeses, prosciutto, crepes. We only did two restaurants as we are very lazy people on the vacation so we ate at the buffets. We even didn't go to the breakfast buffet most day to go on the beach instead to be able to spend as much time there as possible. It is a pity that there is no fresh juices at the Punta Emilia in the mornings but only some pastries but awesome cappuccino next to the salty waves makes up for that for me.
The very long beach is awesome at Palladium, it lasts a few km from very rocky part on the South (with the fascinating stoned sea creatures from the past, salt water pool and quiet bar) to the sandy bottom in its middle and its North end with the snorkeling parts in between. It has such a uncrowded feel in the North end of the beach with the palapas placed in between the palms and shady trees and huge green bushes. There is a beach bar/washroom/towels at that part of the beach too. The water was very warm and we swam all the time.
The weather was extremely good, previous week was raining but we did not see a single rain in a whole week, some days all sun, some days some welcome clouds, one day mostly cloudy that gave us a break not to get burned. There were very few mosquitoes, mostly at the dusk on the hot day with no wind, it was easy avoidable, we just stayed at the lobby/spa/the windiest place on the beach by the marble wedding gazebo. I recommend to the people to get familiar with the difference in the weather depending on the time of the year, the shoulder season is my favorite with the water being very warm (it gets colder in the winter as it is winter in Mexico too) and the air being not that extremely hot as in the summer. The end of the November-beginning on December and April/May are my favorite moths to go there. You can still get some rains in Fall though.
The evenings - we visited spa and life entertainment in the lobbies. The spa was one of the reasons that we returned back to Palladium again as the sun sets early this time of the year (5 PM) and you need something nice to do before of the dinner. We spent about 1-2 hours every day at the spa with most of its use being free/included in your AI package except personal treatments - saunas, different massage pools, lazy river, steam rooms, adult only. Bring your towel cards to get the towels for the use at the spa. Lots of facilities for the sport activities around the spa. Entertainment was also very nice with a few bands/artists playing at the 4 lobbies at the different times, but I missed some folk music with the Mexican types of instruments we enjoyed the previous time. When something ends at one of the lobbies, hop on the mini-train to go to the other lobby, it is a part of the Palladium fun - hopping around the lobbies.
I also wanted to note the boat that you can take along the fresh water artificial lake to the lobby from the small pier at the Riviera side - it is free and it comes every 10 min or so, the setting is very nice with all the flowers handing from the sides toward the water. There are huge pools at both sides of Palladium - Riviera White sand and Colonial/Kantenan with plenty of palapas, from my point of view Riviera side is more beautiful and quiet, it is new, was build may be 5 years ago.
Free internet in the lobbies, bring your laptop. We bought a small 10' netbook to read on the flight and for the internet, very convenient and inexpensive.
Our flight back was at 1-10 AM with the pick up time 9-20 PM and the check out is 12 PM so we paid $60 for the late checkout at 6 PM to be able to keep the room and pack after the sunset and not to loose the last beautiful morning on the beach. There are very good courtesy rooms with the showers and luggage storing room so we had 3 hours for the last dinner/drinks/music in the lobby before we left.
Overall we are very pleased with the trip, this was exactly what we are looking for. I liked Barcelo too but unfortunately they do not have shade palapas on the beach and their swinging palms although beautiful do not cover me enough so I get burned there, and the beach at Palladium has more privacy as there are areas where people do not lie right next to you. PM me if you need more info.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Olga62
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your friendly review. We are very pleased to have made your stay a special and memorable one!
It makes us happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we were able to live up your expectations! Thank you for sharing.
Your home away from home awaits you next time you are in Mexico, and show all the newest renovation and progress

Grand Palladium Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Polish first
ithaca ny
Reviewed November 18, 2009

We are cruise lovers, but decided to try something different this year. The Grand Palladium was recommended and we had 12 people in our party, ranging from 2 years old to senior citizens. The resort was beautiful and was incredibly clean. Everywhere we went, people were cleaning. Even the beach chairs was cleaned daily. There were 2 buffets and 8 restaurants. We used the buffets for breakfast and lunch, and used the specialty restaurants for dinner each night. We found that being in the restaurants shortly after 6 p.m meant that we walked right in without waiting. The service was great-(except for the Italian restaurant) , even with young children with us. All of the restaurants were very good except the Italian restaurant. If this had been the first restaurant we tried, we would have been eating dinner at the buffet each night. The Italian food on the buffet was far superior to the restaurant. 12 meals order, 12 awful meals. Even the service in this restaurant was poor, one of our dinners came as everyone else was ready for dessert. On the other end, the Brazilian restaurant with sword service (lots of fun), the mediteranean restaurant and the japanese restaurant were wonderul. The beach was beautiful and the salt water pool was amazing. The spa was very nice, make sure to try the different free saunas at the spa. The hotel is huge, takes a few days to get the hang of getting around-tough on people with mobility limitations. There are shuttles, but still a lot of walking and stairs. Our rooms were in a third floor villa in the Riviera section-wonderful vistas off the balcony.
Rooms were clean and nicely outfitted-walk in showers and jetted tubs. Coffee was pretty bad, try ordering cappucinos, much better. We read a suggestion to bring $1, and $5 's with us, and carry them during the day, and I'm glad we did. People work really hard and deserve acknowledgement, though no one had their hand out for tips. We left $2 on the table in the buffet, and each couple left $5 at dinner and in our rooms each day. We always had different people serving us, and cleaning our room, so it is best to tip as you go. Unlike cruising, you can easily go to this resort and never spend another cent (beside tipping) before you leave. There were bars everywhere, beach, swim up at the pool, etc. Never a wait for a drink, fruit juice, soda or alchol. We went to Xel ha on an excursion, nice but nothing that special as you can snorkle easily at the resort. Our two year old had such a great time she wanted to stay, even if she had to move in with the porter. She cried when they carried her bags out. Great resort, I think we will all go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank cruiselover065

Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing us as you holiday provider. Thank you also for sharing your excellent experience at the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are beyond thrilled when our guests have a fantastic experience with us.
Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future to show you all the improvements and renovations in the last years

Atlanta
Reviewed November 13, 2009

My wife and I really studied the reviews to maximize our precious time in the sub tropics. The Grand Palladium Riviera seemed to have the value and amenities we were looking for. The service was outstanding. It's a huge property so be prepared to walk a good deal. Our room was spacious. The pool and bar areas were very well appointed. Besides the Hurricane that chased us from the Yucatan back to Atlanta, there was only one other disappointment: the food. It was a bump up from Cafeteria food. The Mexican food that was available was fantastic, fresh authentic and well prepared. I would rate most of the other dishes a "B-." The desserts were the least appealing.
Like I said the property was a paradise, nature everywhere and a wonderfully attentive staff. Great place and ... I will return despite the food.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MONOAtlanta
Dear Guest

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation.
Thank you for your feedback. This information has let us know during the years to know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on and we can proudly show a new development with many renovated facilities and a generally resort upgrade.
We appreciate your kind words on our resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.
We feel honored that you would return and can’t wait to see you on your next vacation!

England
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I stayed at this resort with my best friend on a weeks holiday in October and we absolutely loved it. The resort is beautiful, everywhere you look it is stunning. The hotel is low level and built into the mangroves so there is an abundance of wildlife around you (mangrove crabs, racoons, turtle nests on the beach and stunnning birds flying over the beach). We had a junior suite and it was well worth the upgrade as we had a living room area, two balconies, double shower and jacuzzi bath (although we didn't spend much time in the room as there is so much to see and do!).

The resort is all inclusive and the standard of the al la carte restaurants and even the buffet was fantastic. So much choice and all drinks are well know brands rather than local varieties.

The staff are really friendly and pleased to help you with your spanish! The whole resort is perfectly spotless and maintained to an extremely high standard.

The pools are beautiful with an abundance of sun loungers and this was the same on the beach.

I would fully recommend this resort to anyone as it really was a wonderful weeks holiday.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank JCT

Chicago
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Overall our stay was very nice.

Pros: The resort is very clean and very beautiful. We did receive an upgrade to a junior sweet which was very nice. The show's were better than average and the food was better than average for an "all-inclusive". We were able to dine at the restaruants as many times as we like (although they say only three times per a seven day stay on the website). The spa was really relaxing and definitely worth going to, even if you don't purchase a package. The pool, sauna, and general area was really nice.

Cons: I was a little disappointed in this resort being labeled an "all-inclusive", this should have been labeled more of a "Limited all-inclusive". I travel a lot and have stayed at many all-inclusives and this is how this resort was different. No room service, no cocktail servers by the pool, if you need your refrigerator restocked they charge you, Normally you only get to dine at three restaruants during your stay- the rest of the week you dine at the buffet's. Service was very slow, even though we tipped. There was only two lunch and breakfast buffet's open- both serving the same food. A lot of restaruants at the resort are closed permanetly. There were only a couple of restaurants open each night. I also hate to report that the mosquitos were very bad. Definitely bring repellant. Another issue was the room we were put in, the shower backed up and over-flowed and the ceiling leacked. We called maintenance and they took apart our whole ceiling and started working on it. We asked for another room because there was a contruction zone in ours, and they really gave us a hard time about it. After insisting, they finally did comply. I thought it was unnecesary that we had to insist with the amount of work that was going on in our room. The whole ceiling was removed from our bathroom and hallway with maintenance men coming in and out and the door to our hotel left wide open. One last thing to mention is that my husband and I were married in June and we did have a honeymoon then, but when we came to the resort we told them this was a honeymoon with our marriage certificate (any trip taken within a year of your marriage they honor as a honeymoon). They did just about nothing for us. There was no mention of our honeymoon throughout the week. I would have been truly dis-appointed if this was our real honeymoon. Also, my family was on the trip and sister and mother were celebrating a birthday. There was no recognition of these events either. This is not a special occasion place.

We did get a great deal on this place and I am happy I went. There were just no bells or whistles. I would have been upset if I paid full price. I also felt mis-guided with all of the websites rating this place a 5-star, it is not. I would give it a 31/2 or 4 stars at best.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChicagoGoofygirl
derbyshire
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Check in was excellent, greeted with refreshing drink, well deserved as we had travelled from the UK. Bags taken straight to our room, (standard room) little dissappointed with the room could have done with a paint refresh, having said that , we went to our room to wash, change & sleep. The maid did a fantastic cleaning job in our room always a different animal made with the towels.
The staff that we met always greeted us with a smile and hola, how are you today.
Restaurants and food excellent, choice of food incredible! Service in lobby & external bars, cannot fault. Sports Bar staff not so enthusiastic....
Entertainment in lobby of an evening; one particularly group of five rock musicians were great! The music shows were incredible, how those guys and gals dance in that heat is unreal! The complex cannot be expected to cater to everyones taste, some nights it was a little boring for us. Wanted for nothing, Thomson reps, Spencer & Amy were very good at their job, straight to the point, great advice and ever helpful as was the hotel manager Lou Lou, who we were fortunate enough to meet on two occasions and we found her affable, dedicated and knowledgable about the hotel palladium and fiesta group experience. Should she get to read this, thank you so much for looking after our daughter and partner who followed us on for a holiday a fortnight later.
We never go back to the same place twice, however we will go back to this hotel and its complex and so will our family. Thank you to all for making our stay so pleasurable. Kindest regards to Stephanie and all the staff in reception. Beautiful walks with abundant wildlife (Fiesta group obviously have a feeling for natural habitat). The church in the grounds was beautiful, leading to a superb wedding venue, or renewal of wedding vows.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chrisancompany
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding your stay at the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant experience on our lovely resort years ago. It’s always a pleasure when our guests have a wonderful time with us.

We appreciate your kind tone and look very forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to show you the newest development and progress.

Toronto
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I love this resort. I love everything about it... the food, the people, the rooms, the beach, the spa,the entertainment,and the pools. Staff could not have been more helpful. We had incredible weather, albeit hot, but that's what I wanted. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family