“Wonderful Again ,Thankyou Palladium for another great holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton Alberta
“Wonderful Again ,Thankyou Palladium for another great holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

My husband and I returned to the palladium to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We stayed in the Riviera this time.Last time we were at the Palladium was 3 years ago and we stayed in the Colonial. Both rooms were beautiful,perfectly clean ,and in perfect condition. The maids were fast and efficient,kept our fridge stocked and made us beautiful towel art. The food was very excellent this time and every night we enjoyed a la carte dining.3 years ago we were limited to 3 or 4 a la carte dinners.We were very happy to see that the Palladium has changed their policy. The buffets are spotless and the staff and cooks are on top of replenishing the dishes of which they offer a huge variety .Breakfast is incredible!There is always a chair around the pools .There are many pools to choose from some large with areas for the children ,swim up bars ,whirlpool areas and built in lounge chairs.They have adult pools for a quieter group most of us there were reading or listening to music .The waiter at these adult pool bars managed to remember what we liked to drink and brought us drinks to our chairs when he saw we needed replenishing.Thankyou both for the fabulous service .Service for food and drinks was also very good on at the beach All the grounds are beautiful with colorful and flowering bushes and are extremely well kept. The beach is also excellent with plenty of shaded areas tables and space.THIS PLACE IS NOT CROWDED! The water is great no sand whales you can go in barefoot .You can snorkel and see lots of fish.They have paddle boats and kayaks and catamerans and snorkel equiptment .The chairs are all in excellent condition. This is a big resort but you can get around it very easily they have a waterboat and a train system so you don't have to walk if your not up to it.People use this system a lot at night for the ladies in high heels! They have piano bar areas and live bands in the evening as well as a disco club.Also a games room.You name it I think they've got something for everyone day and night.In the last 5 years we have stayed at the Palladium twice and the Bahia Principe and the Sandos Caracol.The Palladium is by far the best the Bahia is not bad the Sandos is a 1 star in my books. We also stayed at the Barcelo in Punta Cana last year and it is also really good but not as good as the Palladium.I've read some of the reviews others have put on about the Palladium that thought it wasn't as good as the Iberostar Resorts. I've never been there but I did check for the price and found on I travel 2000 Iberostar to be quite a bit steeper. For the two of us only payed per week $125.00 canadian more to stay at the Palladium then the Sandos Caracol.We spent the first week of our vacation at the Palladium and second week at the Sandos.We wish we'd never left the Palladium the two resorts don't even compare.The travel agent we used put them both in a four star category.Read my review on the Playa del Carmen Sandos Caracol we were very disappointed . Thanks Again Palladium we hope to be back soon.

5 Thank suzyQEdmontonAlberta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Polish first
Grand Palladium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We just arrived home from a week at the Grand Palladium Riviera. It was a fabulous hotel and property. We stayed in the Royal Suites and I believe it is certainly the way to go. Everything about this section is top notch.
It has a private beach, pool, bar and restaurant exclusive to it. We took advantage of the pillow menu, private butler service and making reservations at several of the restaurants on the property. We have nothing bad to say about this property other than we wish we could have stayed for 2 weeks instead of one!
Hats off to Pedro, one of the bell boys for the Royal section. He always went out of his way to ensure you were haveing a good time. The guys at the bars, Filberto at the Royal bar and Ronny at the Royal pool were outstanding.
We are already planning a trip back at Christmas with our son. We can hardly wait.

2 Thank mcouatinmexico
Ma.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

Almost a year later and still angry at treatment my girlfriend and I received at the Grand Palladium. Every morning had to hunt for coffee cups, cereal spoons and bowls at the main buffet. These are expected staples. All meals were generally a one quick visit by waitstaff and never seen again. BTW, we tip EVERY meal and are hardly demanding people with blue collar upbringing. Here's where it got to be ridiculous: Wed. evening we went to the smaller buffet approx 1/2 hour before closing. Seated, never saw waitstaff for water or soft drink (I would have rather it be self serve). 5 minutes in, a woman handed us a survey regarding service and quality. She came back 10 minutes later asking for them back. We had barely started our dinner. This woman could care less. She claimed the restaurant was closing. Intersesting, as at the very moment a party of four were JUST being seated. Of greater interest was the sight of her moments later at a nice, quiet, UNINTERUPTED table starting to enjoy her own dinner while ours had been essentially ruined. It gets "better". Next morning the usual scavengure hunt. THEN came lunch. Went to the main buffet. Mind you, the only dress code is basically posted as no shoes, no shirt, no service.
We were wearing the EXACT same clothing as breakfast at the SAME buffet. I had a nicer Adidas top, sneakers and a dry bathing suit. I work super hard to keep in shape. I had an athletic cut, trunk style suit on. I was told I needed to go back to the room and put on a pair of shorts. I was better dressed and more covered up than many already in the restaurant. Many were wearing other style bathing suits. The hostess was unwavering. We was pissed!!!! Then, we go to the outdoor seating buffet. Ask the chef for grilled chicken. Tells us they were out. There were plates displaying the various meats/fish available. Asked why chicken was displayed. He proceeded to grab the plate, throw it on a counter behind him and the small plackard that went with it got tossed on the floor (keep in mind that all the restaurants share common storage, refridgerator space etc...having someone get more could easily have been done). I'm 49, she's 48, very respectful and polite. I appreciate that I can go to such places once a year, while most of the resort staff can not. I also don't excpect the same level of service as received at a smaller hotel (such as Sun Palace, Riu Palace Riviera Maya). We are no strangers to all-inclusive nor Mexico. Not so ironically, Friday there were additional waitstaff being trained. Even more interesting were the extremely visible management, previously unseen before. CORPERATE LEVEL PERHAPS? The standing around, malaise and general apathy had magically dissapeared. PLENTY of service that morning. Any positives gained from facilities, location or other staff were overwhelmingly overshadowed.

• Liked — The grounds, beach, food.
  • Disliked — Service.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

We just returned from a week stay at the Riveria. What a beautiful place. We were met at the lobby by their professional and friendly staff. Our room was ready when we got there and luggage was taken to the room for us while we stopped for a drink in the lobby.
The resort is big, no doubt about that. We enjoyed the walk to our room, surrounded by well kept grounds and the sound of the ocean. We had the choice of a ride to our room via the shuttle system that ran every 15 minutes but most of the time chose to walk. Usually caught the shuttle ride at night however.

Room was more than we expected. Livingroom area with tv, bar, coffee pot, fullsize bathroom with seperate shower and a large jacuzzi tub and a large bedroom with a king size bed and tv. Two balconies, one off living area and one off bedroom. Clean as a whistle when we got there and cleaned every morning.

Food was good. Buffet had many options for us to choose from. Every night had a different theme...Mexican etc. Always something to eat. Fresh fruit, yoquarts, bread to turkey, beef and potatoes. You also could be daring and go for the squid. This buffet had enough choices for anyone unless you are a really pickey eater. Ala carts were good but by the time we were done our activities for the day it was just easier to go to the buffet.

The beach...beautiful...sand...waves crashing against the shore. Who could not like this. Never had a problem getting a lounger. Beach bar close and great meat tacos at the snack bar.
Although I thought the beaches in Cuba were nicer, you will never hear me complain of any beach that I can be on in February. I could be at home where it was -28.

The pool was huge. Lots of lounges available. Sun or shade. Hot without the wind off the ocean. 30 above while we were there. Perfect!

Did 3 trips while we were at the Riveria. Xcaret, Xel Ha and private day trip with Richard from Edventures. Hotel called for our taxis, had wake up service to make sure we got there on time. Xcaret has the most wonderful show at night. A must see! Edventures picked us up at the hotel lobby and we snorkeld the ocean, the cenotes and a lagoon. We did the Tulum ruins and the zip line with Richard as well. They were great and drove us back to the hotel at the end of our trip. Had a great time

All in all, we loved Mexico and the Grand Palladium Riveria. Friendly staff, good food, beauitiful resort. We would go back for sure!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank triptime50
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife and I have just returned from a fantastic week at this lovely hotel. I am just amazed by some of the negative reviews-I can only assume that there are some fairly unrealistic people out there in terms of expectations for the money. That said, we have travelled extensively over the past few years and have been lucky enough to stay at some fabulous 5* + resorts in that time, so I do not feel we are naive travellers in any way. We thought this hotel was excellent value for money, and was a beautiful setting. Yes it is huge, but you soon get used to it and actually nowhere is really more than a 10 minute walk (clearly far too far though for some of our colonial cousins!!). Grounds are stunning, and the upkeep is very good. Our room was great, plenty big enough with nice large bathroom with separate shower and jacuzzi bath. Food overall was also very good-buffet was fine, but as you can eat in the a la carte restaurants (8 to choose from) as many times as you want, we only ate in the buffet on the first evening. Of the A la cartes, they were all good, but our favourite was definitely the Japonsese-we had 2 excellent meals here. Plenty to do around the resort if you felt active, or a great setting by the pool or beach for chilling out. My wife also reports that the SPA was excellent too.

In short, we could not have had a better holiday, and if you just want to relax for a week and have everything done for you, I would certainly recommend this hotel. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful too. We have no complaints, so I would urge you to ignore the negativity-you will have areat time here.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank webby1
saskatchewan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

We booked the Palladium because of all the positive reviews and because we happened to get a very good price for the two weeks. This was our sixth trip to Mexico. We stayed at the five star IB the last two years, and I can honestly say that the Palladium does not compare.
We arrived on Saturday Jan 24th. The floor in our room was very dirty with a used bandage stuck on the bathroom floor. The floor was not washed until Monday. There was some sort of mattress cover on the bed which was obviously not changed between guests. The sheets were about eight inches short, so the dirty mattress pad was exposed at the foot of the bed. Our first morning I flipped back the covers to find dirt and sand, we'd arrived in the evening so hadn't even gone to the beach yet. I phoned to complain. They said they'd send someone, but we didn't wait around. I showed the housekeeping boy who was in the hall. I checked the bed that evening and they hadn't changed the mattress pad, but rotated it so that the dirty spot was now at my DH's feet. King beds are square, so that's possible to do. The pillows were extremely lumpy, you could order one off the pillow menu if you chose to spend three dollars per pillow per night. The sheets and towels were usually stained. The shower was a slow trickle.
The food in the buffets was a lot of quantity but no quality. The coffee was putrid. And they really need to stop the habit of dipping the spout of the carafe into your coffee, and then the next persons, and then the next persons...You couldn't get a mixed drink in the buffets, just the horrible wine or beer. The red wine was so terrible it gave me instant heartburn. One evening I found a large piece of plastic or latex in my spinach salad. After that I couldn't eat the salads. The food at the elacartes wasn't worth the long wait or the slow service. Anyone who tells you they had a good steak at the Palladium has never had a good steak. We didn't bother much with drinks because you couldn't get a decent one. The alcohol was absolute bottom shelf. They didn't even have Baileys. They'd say it was Baileys, but it wasn't Baileys.
Oh, and the bridges. Eighteen steps up, eighteen steps down. And the boards were cracked and uneven. We witnessed more than one accident. Not good if you have mobility problems. There were shuttles, but not exactly the smoothest rides. They installed speed bumps for their own drivers. Go figure.
The thing that saved our vacation was the lovely salt water pool. It was a beautiful spot to relax and read or watch the waves crashing against the coral reef. We usually skipped lunch and spent the whole day there. It was nice and quiet until the couple with the country music settled in next to us. The other plus was that we could get Wifii right in our room.
I would not recommend, nor would I return.

• Liked — The salt water pool
  • Disliked — Food, drinks, uncleanliness
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SaskatchewanRose
Québec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We came back last week (27 jan.2009 to 4 feb. 2009) from the Grand Palladium Riviera Royal Suite. This is our first trip under the sun so maybe my review can’t represent a comparison with others resorts. First of all, I want to tell that Royal treatment worth the extra money.

Room -

Initially, I reserved a Royal Suite. When we arrived, I received my room. It’s first floor building 71. Room # 7107. Room is beautiful but have a smell of garbage and humidity. I don’t know why but I ask to front desk to change for another room. The resort was full but the lady find a Junior Royal Suite in building 69. Room # 6936. Very, Very beautiful room. Panoramic view of ocean and royal pool because it’s on the corner of the building and near the royal pool. We got the room the day after but I very very satisfied that the lady to the front desk change my room. I know that Royal Suite have king size bed, and we are lucky to receive a Junior Royal Suite with King Bed. But we prefer the Junior Suite instead of Suite. More light of the sun and more interesting to talk with my wife during I’m on the bed and she’s in the open bath. If we go back to Royal one day, I will reserve for Junior Suite. During the week, we haven’t time to use the jaccuzi.
It was very peaceful place and no noise in the morning and during the night. The room is very beautiful and clean.

Royal Lobby –

We really appreciate the royal lobby. Free Internet (however, windows is in Spanish hihihi ) a bartender that is very sympa and not a lot of people and smoke.

Food-

Wow !! El Jardin. What a good place to go. We tried some A la carte during the week but we prefer the El Jardin for breakfast and for dinner. My wife cooks delicious food at home (often, the meal my wife cooks are better than restaurant). So, for us the A la carte (except El Jardin) are good, not exceptional. The salmon and steak at El Jardin are so delicious. We like the El dorado and Rib’s and More. The rest of the week, we eat all the time to El Jardin except for lunch. We always eat at Kabah Buffet. The interior buffet of Riviera. We like a lot this buffet. Like it more that A la carte restaurants. Lots of choice and the food is hot. Red wine are very good and beer too. Employees at each restaurant and buffet are very friendly and always ask us if everything is ok. You can reserve the A la Carte restaurant at the Royal Lobby and each time, we waiting only 5 minutes at the restaurant before assigning a place.

Beach/Pool –

We stayed during the week all the time at the left section of the resort (Left of the Kanthena). Where the seadoo are (in the front of the Royal Beach Section). The section of the beach are beautiful. Without water shoes, you can go into the water. We tried Royal Bali Bed but we prefer to be on the beach. If you do snorkling, go in front of the Riviera (in front of Punta Emilia beach bar). I have seen lot of beautiful fish.

Each day in the afternoon, we leave the beach and go to the Royal Pool. All pools are cold but not so terrible. In Quebec, it’s normal to go in the pool when it is cold. But after 1 minute, everything is ok. We REALLY appreciate the NO NOISE ambiance of the Royal Pool. We really like Virginio when I put new age music. Maybe not only Virginio put this music. Wow, lot of pleasure in this pool and it is near our room. Pool are clean. Each day at 6:00hrs a.m., employees clean the pools.

Conclusion –

This resort is very beautiful. I really appreciate the fact that the resort kept the Mangrove, want’s to preserve the quality of the environment, have lot of animals. Even if the resort is not new (anyway, new resort mean new employees and often, not a good service), it was THE RESORT for us. I one day we go back to Mexico, without hesitation we will choose the Grand Palladium Riviera Royal Suite.

I finish this review with important things for all of you :

1. Take care of the property of resort (put your garbage in the trash, not in the trees)
2. Don’t assume that you pay for this trip and an employee will clean your mess for you. Don’t drop your cigarette on the beach.
3. Be gentle with everyone. Theses peoples work hard so stay recognizing
4. We must respect the culture of Mexican and the fact that they don’t speak english very well (seem like me). Stop writing in review that people don’t speak English, it’s normal, it’s their country. They are the host and we are the invited. So, it’s normal to respect everyone. I don’t want that Riviera Maya become an American Place. I want to have the feeling that I’m in another place in the world. NOT in U.S.A. It’s not because we paid lots of dollar that we are the KING.

We missed Grand Palladium now and each day we go to www.palladiumaddict.net to see the Beach and Royal Pool Web Cam in order to remember the fantastic week we have. Now, we are back to Canada with - 25 degree Celsius and lot of snow, it’s a big trauma !

• Liked — Beach, Pool, Food, Very Quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Porto2006