“Fantastic trip in Grand Palladium Royal Suite, Mexico”

Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Québec
“Fantastic trip in Grand Palladium Royal Suite, Mexico”
Reviewed February 8, 2009

We came back last week (27 jan.2009 to 4 feb. 2009) from the Grand Palladium Riviera Royal Suite. This is our first trip under the sun so maybe my review can’t represent a comparison with others resorts. First of all, I want to tell that Royal treatment worth the extra money.

Room -

Initially, I reserved a Royal Suite. When we arrived, I received my room. It’s first floor building 71. Room # 7107. Room is beautiful but have a smell of garbage and humidity. I don’t know why but I ask to front desk to change for another room. The resort was full but the lady find a Junior Royal Suite in building 69. Room # 6936. Very, Very beautiful room. Panoramic view of ocean and royal pool because it’s on the corner of the building and near the royal pool. We got the room the day after but I very very satisfied that the lady to the front desk change my room. I know that Royal Suite have king size bed, and we are lucky to receive a Junior Royal Suite with King Bed. But we prefer the Junior Suite instead of Suite. More light of the sun and more interesting to talk with my wife during I’m on the bed and she’s in the open bath. If we go back to Royal one day, I will reserve for Junior Suite. During the week, we haven’t time to use the jaccuzi.
It was very peaceful place and no noise in the morning and during the night. The room is very beautiful and clean.

Royal Lobby –

We really appreciate the royal lobby. Free Internet (however, windows is in Spanish hihihi ) a bartender that is very sympa and not a lot of people and smoke.

Food-

Wow !! El Jardin. What a good place to go. We tried some A la carte during the week but we prefer the El Jardin for breakfast and for dinner. My wife cooks delicious food at home (often, the meal my wife cooks are better than restaurant). So, for us the A la carte (except El Jardin) are good, not exceptional. The salmon and steak at El Jardin are so delicious. We like the El dorado and Rib’s and More. The rest of the week, we eat all the time to El Jardin except for lunch. We always eat at Kabah Buffet. The interior buffet of Riviera. We like a lot this buffet. Like it more that A la carte restaurants. Lots of choice and the food is hot. Red wine are very good and beer too. Employees at each restaurant and buffet are very friendly and always ask us if everything is ok. You can reserve the A la Carte restaurant at the Royal Lobby and each time, we waiting only 5 minutes at the restaurant before assigning a place.

Beach/Pool –

We stayed during the week all the time at the left section of the resort (Left of the Kanthena). Where the seadoo are (in the front of the Royal Beach Section). The section of the beach are beautiful. Without water shoes, you can go into the water. We tried Royal Bali Bed but we prefer to be on the beach. If you do snorkling, go in front of the Riviera (in front of Punta Emilia beach bar). I have seen lot of beautiful fish.

Each day in the afternoon, we leave the beach and go to the Royal Pool. All pools are cold but not so terrible. In Quebec, it’s normal to go in the pool when it is cold. But after 1 minute, everything is ok. We REALLY appreciate the NO NOISE ambiance of the Royal Pool. We really like Virginio when I put new age music. Maybe not only Virginio put this music. Wow, lot of pleasure in this pool and it is near our room. Pool are clean. Each day at 6:00hrs a.m., employees clean the pools.

Conclusion –

This resort is very beautiful. I really appreciate the fact that the resort kept the Mangrove, want’s to preserve the quality of the environment, have lot of animals. Even if the resort is not new (anyway, new resort mean new employees and often, not a good service), it was THE RESORT for us. I one day we go back to Mexico, without hesitation we will choose the Grand Palladium Riviera Royal Suite.

I finish this review with important things for all of you :

1. Take care of the property of resort (put your garbage in the trash, not in the trees)
2. Don’t assume that you pay for this trip and an employee will clean your mess for you. Don’t drop your cigarette on the beach.
3. Be gentle with everyone. Theses peoples work hard so stay recognizing
4. We must respect the culture of Mexican and the fact that they don’t speak english very well (seem like me). Stop writing in review that people don’t speak English, it’s normal, it’s their country. They are the host and we are the invited. So, it’s normal to respect everyone. I don’t want that Riviera Maya become an American Place. I want to have the feeling that I’m in another place in the world. NOT in U.S.A. It’s not because we paid lots of dollar that we are the KING.

We missed Grand Palladium now and each day we go to www.palladiumaddict.net to see the Beach and Royal Pool Web Cam in order to remember the fantastic week we have. Now, we are back to Canada with - 25 degree Celsius and lot of snow, it’s a big trauma !

• Liked — Beach, Pool, Food, Very Quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
8 Thank Porto2006
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2017
Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing us as you holiday provider. Thank you also for sharing your excellent experience at the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are beyond thrilled when our guests have a fantastic experience with us.
Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future to show you all the improvements and renovations in the last years

Grand Palladium Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Polish first
Northampton
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I visited with a friend in January. Over the first few days we were amazed at how lovely and big the resort is. People have complained about the food on reviews which seems a bit daft when there is so much choice. Our favourite restaurant was the Japanese but the Brazilian was also fantastic. Staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms spacious and clean.

My tips for you trip are:

Take plenty of small peso/dollar bills for tips and don't expect anyone to give you change easily!

In peak season the a la carte restaurants have an hour to 2 hour wait so go either at 6pm or 9pm or the buffet if you are wanting to eat in a hurry.

If you are into snorkeling, take your own.

The beach gets much less rocky on the Kantenah side.

Try the spa it's gorgeous.

Definately have the BBQ on the beach one night.

Have at least one day drinking at the swim up bar with Canadians - goodness can those people party!

Fab resort, enjoy.

• Liked — Big resort with lots to do
  • Disliked — Long way from the airport
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank loola20
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your friendly review. We are very pleased to have made your stay a special and memorable one!
It makes us happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we were able to live up your expectations! Thank you for sharing.
Your home away from home awaits you next time you are in Mexico, and show all the newest renovation and progress

bc
Reviewed February 4, 2009

It took me awhile to reasearch hotels in Mexico. I found soo many of them having many complaints such as theft, food poisioning, lack of service etc. At one point I was ready to throw in the towel and not go to Mexico assuming it was just a bad place to vacation. I am glad that I didnt. The Grand Palladium is an excellent resort. Im gonna try to be quick about this....but I like to talk.

Rooms- We stayed in the basic Jr. suite and it is all you need. The rooms are large, they have a balcony, couch, various desks and chairs, tv, mini bar (that is always filled), a/c is great, the bathroom has a shower and jacuzi tub (for some romance bring candles and bubble bath). The safe in the room is good, you set it with your own code. The only thing that was annoying was the lighting seemed a bit dim. The walls are somewhat thin....I could hear the peson in the next room snoring in the middle of the night. A couple times we did have people playing loud music and/or yelling somewhere in the building. However not to worry! If you are sensitive to noise (like me) just turn on the room fan and it all gets drowned out.

Food-The buffets were fine. I found the best time to eat there was at lunch. We ate there once for dinner our first night and wasnt too impressed. The breakfast was good...just a bit repetative but I think its up to you to change it up. My favorite buffet was the small one by the main pool. The al la carte resuraunts are good. We only made it to 6 out of the 8. Our favorite was Bamboo (asian) and the Ribs and More (ribs/meat). We missed out on the Japanese and Mexican but I am sure they were good. Something that I was worried about was that there was a limit as to how many times you can eat at the al la cartes. I assue you that even if you are a regular guest , you can go to all of them. The only difference is that the people staying in the Royal Suites are able to make reservations. Where as the others its first come first serve. I advise you to go before 630, if you go any later you will have to wait an hour.

Overall service- Was fantastic. The waiters at the restaraunts work quickly and take care of you. The buffet is cafeteria style...but the cooks are going as fast as they can and you do have waiters walking around asking if u need coffee or anything. The seating procedure is slightly annoying....you cant just go find a seat. But its nothing too major. The bartenders work quick but if it gets busy the sevice can be slow. Maids, bellboys all did their jobs well. Some of the reviews said that there was a language thing going on here, but it wasnt the case. OK so the maids problably arent the best to ask a lot of questions, they speak the least amount, but I mean they are the maids. Everyone else spoke good english. We did have an issue at front desk. The car to pick us up to go to the airport was late and we were getting worried. I went to the front desk and they told me to go around the corner and look at the airline book. I told them I did and they just kinda stared at me and said to go get the number. So I go back to my bf and complain and he goes (I guess he spoke louder to them) but they picked up the phone and dialed a number. My bf talked to someone and they said that most times the pick up is always delayed. Sure enough 5 mins later they came. It wasnt about the english, they were just lazy.

Tours- We went on 3 tours. The ruins, Tulum, and horse backriding. They all were good. Except for the "mistakes" in telling us the exact length of them. The ruins are very cool. But the entire tour took us 11 hours! We were told we'd get back at 6 but we didnt get back till 730. So much driving and a lot of blabbing by the guide. I would not reccomend this tour if you have kids. And even if you are adults...be prepared. We went to tulum for a half day. This was very nice and we were brought back on time. Horsebackriding was ok. This also had a time issue. Being told it was 4 hours and it was more like 6. The trails were boring...mostly straight, flat dirt, and 10 foot bushes. I got really burnt that day cause I was thinking "jungle". Riding the horse into the water was fantastic. But it was supposed to have an extra cost (we got it for free somehow). Overall the tours were ok. But if you can take transit I would reccomend it, to save time and money.

Extras-Bring lots of clothes! Even bring some nice stuff. People were actually quite dressed up a lot of the time. If you go to the ruins bring money, they have soo much stuff and they will go pretty low with prices. The hotel shops are overpriced. Go to the spa!! Its super nice (a hidden gem). You can use the pool, sauna, steam room and hot tub. Also has a good gym. Bring american and pesos. This is where we got hit (well my bf did). American is best for paying for tours and obviously they like to be tipped with american. Pesos are good for shopping. My bf didnt get sick at all. I only had one night were I woke up and well....ya know. And sometimes I felt a little off. Just keep hydrated.

Ok I think this is long. So I had a great time and I will tell you to just stay here!

7 Thank Confusedalways
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding your stay at the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant experience on our lovely resort years ago. It’s always a pleasure when our guests have a wonderful time with us.

We appreciate your kind tone and look very forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to show you the newest development and progress.

colorado
Reviewed January 29, 2009

My boyfriend and I got back from Mexico a couple of weeks ago and I will never forget this trip. It was very relaxing and the resort was amazing. The people there are so nice and helpful, and most of the food was excellent. We stayed in the Cabanas for 5 nights and then moved to the suites for 2 nights. They were both amazing and beautiful. We enjoyed our trip so much we are planning a return trip next year. I would recommend The Grand Palladium to anyone. You will not regret a stay at this resort. The only problem I had, was we wanted to stay one more night and they were totally booked up. Bummer for us.

Michelle

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank gracielulu

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed January 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed two weeks in mid-January at the Riviera, and we would highly recommend this resort (and the other on-site Grand Palladium resort options) to couples, families, and singles. We have been to Mexico before but this was our first time at an all-inclusive.

Pros - There are 8 a la carte restaurants, each with a different cuisine (Italian, steak-house, etc.), and 4 buffet restaurants, and about 12 or 13 bars and pubs. The variety is enormous, and the quality ranged from good to excellent.

More Pros - The beach acreage is high and the beach quality is high: generally white sand, and the beach slopes gently away in the water. The size of the resort means we never felt crowded on the beach, salt-water pools, or several main fresh-water pools. The resort is designed to spread the approx 4,000 guests around. (We only waited in line for the more popular a la carte restaurants.)

Yet More Pros - The resort is vast in size (about equivalent in size to a standard suburb in most North American cities), and it is designed to integrate your walk to-and-from the lobbies to your room with nature: you walk on wooden walk-ways and see iguanas, monkeys, ring-tail lemurs, and racoons.

Cons - (and these are minor) The buffet restaurants are cafeteria style and quality, and two of the pubs are pretty non-descript. If you encounter a customer service problem, then you might encounter a strong language barrier to resolving the issue.

Best Kept Secret - The salt-water pool is relaxing, never (never!) busy, and the best place to tan, relax, and quietly visit or read a book. (And yes, it too has it's own bar.)

Important to Know - Some reviewers complain that "this isn't a 4-star resort." Many Mexican (and Caribbean) resorts inflate their status, so a good rule of thumb is to -1 to any star ranking you see. In truth, the GP Rivieria is an honest 3-star in a North American or European city.

Overall, my wife and I would go back to the Riviera and, more tellingly, we plan to go back.

• Liked — leisure and dinner options
  • Disliked — some language barriers with staff
9 Thank jayCalgary_Alberta
Dear Guest

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation.
Thank you for your feedback. This information has let us know during the years to know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on and we can proudly show a new development with many renovated facilities and a generally resort upgrade.
We appreciate your kind words on our resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.
We feel honored that you would return and can’t wait to see you on your next vacation!

Alberta
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Had a great time. There were 4 couples that went. Two booked to the Whitesands and 2 booked in the Riviera. We ended up right beside each other. It was wonderful.
The regular room is very nice, lots of room. The suites have a seperate living room. Which was nice when we played cards late at night.
It is a quite resort. They stop serving hard liquor at midnight, but can get beer at the beach bar and the disco.
Make sure you check out the spa. It is included. It has a pool, steam room, dry heat room, rock walk , two warm pools.
There is also a games room in one of the lobbies - I think it is the Kantenah which has pool tables, fooze ball tables, there are also card bars.
There are four resorts hooked together. The Whitesands and the Riviara are in one complex and the Colonial and Kantenah are in another. You can walk through them all. There are 4 distinct lobbies. For example, if you enter the Whitesands lobby and start walking by the restaurants you will hit the Riviera Lobby. There is also a little train that takes you from lobby to lobby (all 4)
The food was very good, no problems getting into any ala cart.
There is lots of walking. Which is good, because you will do alot of eating and drinking.
I don't know if it is a slow season, but nothing was crowded. There was eight of us, we had no problem sitting together at any time.
There was all ages, but it was probably the most quiet resort we have been to.
The snorkling at the beach was fantastic. We saw tons of fish, squid, and rays. The coral reef is right there.
We went to Talum ruins. Go to the Kantelenah lobby, walk to the street - cross- and take the Collectiva 25 pescos each. 20 min. Tell the driver where you are going so he can tell you to get out. The ruins were 50 pescos each, we also took a guide, which was worth it. When we were there 10 pescos = 1 Cdn dollar.
Can exchange $ at hotel - any lobby.

• Liked — snorkling, food
  • Disliked — there were ants in our room, which they immediately sprayed and killed.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank AlbertaTeri

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2009

It was a great vacation and a beautiful resort but we noticed things that could use improvement. I think i had my expectations a bit too high from all the hype on this resort and expected more.... I will try to give good details in sections.

First to let you know, we are a young family ( early 30's) with a 2 year old who came with us. We also were on a 2 week holiday from Jan 3rd to 17th 09. We also have been to the Palladium Punta Cana.

The beach: The beach is beautiful, soft powdery sand. The sand is harder compacted in the riviera side and gets softer as you walk to the colonial side. The one thing we noticed on our walks on the beach was garbage in the sand everywhere, we were disappointed on this. Smokers please use a cup to dispose you butts in and then throw in the garbage...... Not a great thing when you 2 year old is digging in the sand and is digging up tons on butts! Plus there was always pieces of sharp plastic in the sand everwhere, you needed to almost wear you shoes just to go for a walk on the beach. I wondered why they didn't have someone cleaning this up daily??? ya sure they raked up the sea weed but that was it.....

The Food: The A la cartes were excellent, we enjoyed our meal pretty much each time! It was well worth it to go every night instead of the buffet. We went each night at 5:30 and got our table around 5:45 or so. They did have longer wait times if you checked in after 7pm.

the buffet was not impressive IMO, it was very very repeatitive daily the entire 2 weeks. I have travelled a lot to AI's and did usually see some change in the daily menu but not here, unless you went for dinner and then it was theme nights, but still not much different really. I thought the palladium in P.C. had better food IMO. Most times at a AI i have the best meal at the buffet in the am for breakfast, but here i was disappointed daily on what was offered. ya sure they had variety like cereal, yougart, and eggs, etc but it just was the same thing daily. The eggs were the least impressive and that was a bummer for me b/c i love having omelets when on holidays as i find them the best ever but here they weren't that great, who knows why......

The service: The service lacked in many departments. Some a la cartes they weren't very attanative, was hard to get drink service at times, not what you expect at a 5 star. I found them very friendly and helpful but in the areas that count it lacked.

The rooms: We had reserved a suite as we had our 2 year old with us. It was smaller then i imagined.... It was a bit run down already too, needing a good coat of paint, new doors that actually open and close in the closet, and new bedding. Other then that it worked great for us, we got our room requests that we asked for. 1st floor ,west view and in building 61 PERFECT! The maid service was good but the floor was only swept and never washed in the 2 weeks we were there or the balcony floor. that kinda leaves your feet feeling icky, so i made sure i always had on my slippers.

The pool: This was one of my big concerns. My son is a 100% pool boy and we noticed that the pools are never that clean. We spent most of our time at the riviera pool so i will make my comment on this pool. It had slimy spots in the pool, many many people mentioned how slippery it was. Many slipping especially young children entering the pool at the zero entry part. We would see them daily sweeping the pool for debrey but only once saw chemicals added, never saw them vaccuum the pool floor, etc. just one guy every morning around 9am using a scrbby thing on the bottom of his foot scrubbing the edges....... plus the one day they added chemicals they saded them around 9-9:30 am???? well everyone that entered with in that hour or so got their clothes, swim suites bleached... that should be done at night time!

The bridges and landscaping: We never saw anyone the 2 weeks tend the gardens only cut the grass once....... No trimming bushes, etc.... the gardens would be so pretty if they were taken care of more, everything needed to be trimmed. At other resorts we have been to you always saw gardeners out keeping the garden at their best.
The bridges yes are a bit of a pain for us that have kids but you can avoid almost all but one. The bridges need to be looked at more for safety issues, they should have the back of the steps closed not open or netting or something behind it. Along the sides of the brigdes should have netting or something so little ones don't have open areas to get stuck in, etc.... It made me so iffy when my little one would want to look out the side to watch the boat pass by, etc. Also one MAJOR concer i had was with the ponds, no railings at all around the entire resort pretty much, saw many almost fall into the pond near the buffet.... plus the boat docks and where the canoes sit at the pool side has no safety railings either. VERY unsafe!!!! any little one can fall into the water! I think this is a major area that needs to be looked at.

The place in general: The resort is beautiful to the eye that is forsure, and yes it is very large as we all have read and heard before. The lobbies are beautiful, well kept. The trains, boats and shuttles were awsome. Nice to see markets set up on many many nights throughout the week not only one night like so many other resorts do. Loved the no reservation for a la cartes, ate at them nightly. Would of liked to see premium booze at all bars not only selected one.... They should have more bars and bathrooms around, since the place is so big you do have to walk a lot to get drinks and go to the bathroom. I figure since you are walking so much throught the day and night around the resort you should be able to chill a bit more when at the pool or beach and not walk as much..... just my opinion though. :) Would of been nice to see the pool bar seperate from the swim up bar in two seperate areas.

I hope i covered everything. we had a great holiday, it really is a beautiful resort. I give our holiday a solid 8.5 out of 10 and i do really think it is a solid 4.5 star resort.

HTH don't hesitate to pm me with questions.

• Liked — too many things to mention
  • Disliked — safety issues with ponds, bridges and boat docks
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family