“A wonderful place to stay !”

Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg, Canada
“A wonderful place to stay !”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My mother and I traveled to the Grand palladium riviera resort last week, along with my sister and brother in law. They own their own travel business, specializing in wedding destination vacations for couples in southern manitoba. They recommended this resort to stay at, because of the positive feedback from couples who booked with them. I am not surprised after our week long stay. Our vacation didnt start off that well. We ordered a room with two double beds. Our room that we were given had one queen size bed. My mother and I were not to pleased. Within a few minutes, someone knocked on our door. it was the bellboy, Eduardo, with our luggage. We told him of the situation and he took action by calling the front desk. After speaking with the desk he told us to pick up our carry on bags and he would drive us to the front lobby in his golf cart, to get this fixed. We went and spoke with the manager who gave us another room in villa 63. Eduardo drove us to the villa 63 and dropped off our luggage in the room. The time was around 6:30 pm and he drove us to the front lobby, where he pointed out where the buffet was located. We thanked him and i gave him a tip that he truly deserved. Our Room was clean and spacious. Our bathroom was big compared with other resorts we stayed at in the caribbean. We had a shower stall and a bathtub jacuzzi. Very nice. My mother liked the balcony and found it sheltered by the trees surrounding our villa.
Another thing we liked is that the resort is Celiac-friendly. My mother has a wheat allergy and our sister informed us that she was in touch with the food and beverage manager, Angel Parales. He informed us that he would meet with my mother on our first full day around 9 am. We meet him and he gave my mother a small green card that said :" palladium dietary card Celiac". She would present her card each time she went to the buffet or restaurant on this site. The Maitre'd would come over, introduce themselves and introduce her to the chef. The chefs gladly came over and explained which foods where celiac safe and good for her to eat. They would offer her a choice for dessert for lunch or dinner and deliver it to her at her table. Mom really appreciated the service and that they cared about her allergy. I enjoyed the food at the resort. We ate at the kabah buffet, tikul at kantaneh and la laguna by the pool. We enjoyed the service and how the staff greeted us each day. We also tried the restaurants too. we ate at portofino, ribs and more and la adelita. All were good and we enjoyed the food offered at each restaurant. Some restaurants fill up fast, especially the chinese restaurant, so it is a good idea to book a day in advance at the lobby. The resort is spread out. It is 5 resorts on one large complex. Bring some walking shoes or sandels when travelling to your destination. What we liked about this place, was the scenery around the resort. We would walk to the salt water pool and than follow the path leading to the beach every morning. My mother really liked the staff as well. Whether it was the serving girls at the buffet, the maintenance guys working around the resort, or the guys at the bar, when they said "hola", they really meant it and said it with a smile. We were impressed with the service and the selection of food. The resort wasn't perfect. The beach although nice to walk on and lounge around, was not friendly for swimming. On a few occasions, I stubbed my toes on rocks in knee high water. It is a good idea to wear your flippers or the waterproof shoes to protect your feet. Overall, I was glad to spend my vacation at the Riviera resort and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: villa 60 is close to the beach. Villa 63 and 64 are close to the salt water pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank sp1968
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear sp1968,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us.We are grateful for your kind comments about the staff and facilities.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Polish first
stranraer
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We have recently returned from a two week stay at The Grand Palladium and had a wonderful time. I carefully researched the holiday before booking and can only agree with all the positive things said about this resort so I won’t be boring and repeat it all. It wasn’t spotlessy clean because some inconsiderate and thoughtless guests don’t seem to know what bins are for. That said, rubbish wasn’t left lying around for long. The staff worked extremely hard from early in the morning until late at night. Wherever we went there were staff cleaning, tidying, maintaining or repairing. We experienced a problem with the screen door on our balcony half way through our holiday and reported it as we went out to dinner. It had been repaired upon our return.

We had a horrendous transfer from Cancun airport (4 hours and not the fault of the resort) and after a 10 hour flight from Manchester, arrived feeling pretty tired and fed up. Check in was quick, efficient and informative. We were given a lovely welcome drink and cool cloth and told we had been upgraded from a standard room in Colonial to a junior suite with a sea view in Riviera. This all helped to improve the mood. Our luggage was removed from the coach and transferred by the hard working bell boys to our suite. We didn’t have to touch it again until we unpacked. The suite was very spacious and clean and we had none of the problems mentioned by some negative reviewers on Tripadvisor. The room was cleaned every day, the bed changed every three days and we were treated to lots of creative towel art.

Service in the bars and restaurants was excellent and staff, on the whole were very friendly and cheerful. Another indication of how hard they worked was that the decorations in the three main buffets were changed every evening to reflect the theme of the day. I can’t understand the comments made by some people about the buffets being boring, bland and repetitive. Choice in the buffets was extensive… complaining about it is a bit like saying supermarkets sell the same food every day. We never encountered any problems with finding a table and the resort was full when we stayed. Service at both breakfast and lunch was quick and efficient and coffee and water refilled promptly without having to ask. We mainly ate at the al a carte restaurants in the evenings and as we tend to eat early we didn’t ever have to wait although I believe a pager system is in use later in the evening. One thing I hadn’t come across on previous reviews is that the al a carte restaurants are adult only on a rotational basis (one per night). Details of this can be found displayed outside the restaurants and in the lobby areas. This is a bonus if like us you are travelling without children. We ate at most of the restaurants but particularly liked the Mediterranean and our favourite was Ribs and More. The service there was excellent. The food quality for a resort of this size and for the price paid was also consistently good. There is a wide selection of tasty breads and pastries cooked fresh every day. We would also recommend booking the barbeque on the beach, it needs to be booked a day in advance. Our only negative experience was that like many other guests we queued early in the morning on numerous occasions to book the Japanese restaurant only to find that there were no slots before 10:00pm.

The drinks menu is extensive and as strong as you want them to be and premium drinks are available in Hemmingways bar to all guests.

I can’t really comment on the entertainment in the theatres because we didn’t go to any of the performances. Not our kind of thing. But the team were always busy rehearsing. There were often live music performances in the lobbies which were generally very good but lacked variety. A bit repetitive.

Smoking was allowed almost everywhere which proved to be a nuisance at times. We had a smoking room which was not a problem as it didn’t smell at all but I did find the notice in the room a little odd. It requested that you didn’t smoke in your room if there were children or pregnant women in your party or if any staff were in your room. So effectively you are warned not to smoke near people you care about but you can blow as much smoke into the faces of strangers as you want, including staff working in the bars and around the resort…. Just not in your own room!

Some negative reviewers complained of a bad smell….. mangroves are smelly, it’s natural and they are only in small areas of the resort. Mosquitoes? Never encountered any. And we didn’t meet anyone who had problems with stomach upsets either. Some complained about having to walk… I am not a walker but rarely took the golf carts or train and found it didn’t take more than 10 minutes or so to get from A to B no matter where we were going. Also there was always lots of wildlife to see on the way which made it more interesting. Initially you will probably get lost, especially walking between the two lobby areas but we found if we headed for the beach it only took about 5 minutes and what can be nicer than strolling along a Caribbean beach to get to your destination?

There were a lot of children at the resort and some very inconsiderate and very irresponsible parents. I actually saw one woman at the beach strip her toddler naked and let her roam off on her own. Neither parent paid any attention to her whatsoever for at least 10 minutes. Anything could have happened and they wouldn’t have noticed! Thankfully there are a couple of adult only pools where I could relax and not have to worry about other people’s children.

We had a very relaxing and memorable holiday and although we rarely return to the same place twice I wouldn’t hesitate to book any section of The Grand Palladium again and would thoroughly recommend it as a holiday destination. The Thomson Dreamliner is also a far superior experience to any long haul flight we have taken previously.

11 Thank BandBStranraer
Dear BandBStranraer,

We realy appreciate the feedback on Trip Avisor and defending what you enjoy.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We travelled with a group of 12 friends and can say we were all pretty satisfied with the service and resort. Hotels room with modern and clean. Beautiful big resort, with a bit of a long trek to the main pavilion where the restaurants and pool are. the local trolleys were sometimes 1/2 hours wait , and sometimes you had to wait a few trolleys before you were able to get on one since they were very crowded. A la carte restaurants service was very slow and food so so, for the late diners like us. If you are an early diner like some of our friends the food and service was excellent, however the later the reservation the slower the service, it's best to eat at the buffet if you are planning a late dinner. Beach and pool area could get very busy, recommendation hit the beach/pool early and grab a spot. Live band, some nights by main bar with good dancing music.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anna P
Dear Anna P,

We would like to thank you and your group of 12 friends too ,for your feedback about your last holidays with us . For us is essential to know all the opinions from our guests and what we need to do to better meet their expectations, in fact we are already working in some of the observations you made, we try alway to give the best service to all our guests.

Asistant Manager
Wakefield, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Arthur Murray Dance Studio just returned from GP Riviera 04Mar. A great time was had by all. This resort is excellent for groups. The service was excellent. Our special dinner at Portonfino was fantastic. The service was better than on a 5 star cruise ship. They exceeded our expectations. Our last night in the Mexican restaurant was a very pleasant surprised. So much fun and again excellent service. The house bands were excellent and gave us a warm welcome every night. They played all our requests and we had a ball. Ingrid from groups/weddings was always available incase we needed anything and the spa staff made sure we had water and towels every morning for our dance lessons. The property was so clean and so beautifully landscaped. Our days started early every morning with a cappuccino at the beach. It doesn't get much better than that!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Debbie F
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Debbie F,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your group enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Kindest regards,

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Grand Palladium White Sands/Riviera

My family of four stayed at Grand Palladium White Sands February 1 - February 8, 2014. This is was our second time at Grand Palladium. In February 2011, we stayed at Grand Palladium Colonial for a destination wedding. We love the Mayan Riviera area and the resort in general. Although we booked with the White Sands with Sunquest through Sears Travel, we stayed in the Riviera area of the resort in villa 60, ground floor Junior Suite 6010. Villa 60 is conveniently located by the White Sands/Riviera pool and short walk to lobbies, but it is surrounded by the sometimes stinky mangroves.

Check In

We had a late 10pm check in at the Riviera so there were no lines and we got our towel cards and keys without issue. The biggest problem was the mandatory registration card the girl made us fill out which is a data mining ploy for the imminent vacation club sales pitch. It was the same card they made us fill out last time. I told her that I didn't want to fill it out, that I didn’t want to be contacted and that they already had my information. She asked some guy beside her something in Spanish and then told me it was a government requirement. Thanks for lying! Not wanting to argue I wrote fake information and told my wife to do the same. Do not put down real information! They have no right to harvest your personal information such as passport number or SSN/SIN! It seems that staff adhere to rules for the sake of rules and don’t really listen to guest concerns or requests

Room

The common areas are clean and well maintained, but the room was very disappointing. It was very tired and run down: hard double beds, fake pullout couch with permanent futon mattress, cotton ball sized pillows and an ancient tube TV with broken remote. The room was hot and humid and the air conditioner was very weak. My family doesn't like air conditioning so I was outnumbered and forced to suffer. On our second day we realized that the shower drain was mostly clogged and after 2 showers, the bathroom floor was flooded. We told the front desk and they had it working again later that day. The fridge was useless so I had to “borrow” a plastic tote box I found, fill it with ice from the ice machine that didn’t work after day 3 and keep that in our room to chill drinks. Not a good start to a $6000 vacation.

Pool

Huge, clean, cold and mostly one depth: 4'. There were plenty of lounge chairs around the pool but the resort was quite empty compared to the colonial Kantenah area. The entertainment/towel hut was busy with people borrowing balls, games and books. The staff always had some activities going and the music wasn't too loud or obnoxious but it seemed repetitive and sometimes just a hodgepodge of genres and periods. The saltwater pool is a pool-shaped hole in the rocky shore with ocean fed water and fish! So quiet and relaxing there, comfy beds and it has it's own bar. Best kept secret on the entire resort! Do not miss it!

Lobbies, Entertainment

The Riviera and Colonial lobbies were the most action packed. The entertainment was surprisingly good quality and very professional. They had some local bands and musicians playing on alternating nights and they were so good that spontaneous dancing erupted in the lobbies a few times. The free Wi-Fi in the lobbies was OK but slowed considerably in the evenings when demand was highest. We bought the week long room Wi-Fi service for $60 which worked all over the resort. I thought I could get Wi-Fi to my wife’s iPhone and then hotspot the signal to our other gadgets but no luck! They seem to use a MAC address filter to identify the device that subscribed to the service.

Restaurants

We ate mostly at the Buffet Kabah and Riviera pool restaurants for convenience and because I refuse to wear long pants in Mexico. We wanted to eat at the Japanese restaurant but it was impossible to get reservations. I managed to get a reservation at the seafood restaurant Punta Emilia at the beach after getting up at 7 am to wait in line to make reservations. This system is so stupid! You have to make reservations for the next day only, they apparently hold reservations indefinitely and you can make more than just one reservation if you plunk down some pesos to the right person. Although the restaurants were fully reserved, they seemed only 40% full because people reserve and never show up! The host won’t let anyone in on standby. Punta Emilia (it’s really just the beach snack bar & bar converted with table cloths) was really good except for the marauding raccoons and coati mundi that come up and try to grab things from the table. The selection at the buffet was very good, food quality was fair to excellent but some consistency would be nice. Service was inconsistent too. Grand Palladium: tell your people to CARE! Guests are paying a lot and keeping them employed - they need to at least act like they appreciate us! The restaurant managers did strut around looking important but they didn’t seem to notice the whole lettuce leaves in the salad bowls that weren’t chopped or that there is a difference between honey and pancake syrup.

Cancun Airport

Arrivals: you need to really pay attention to what’s going on and where to go. I like to mark a few people from our plane and watch them to get a sense of where to go next. We forgot our check-in and insurance paper on the plane and it seems no one has a clue on how to get in contact with someone to retrieve the stuff. Like this has never happened before! After a lot of bad advice we ignored, we spotted a baggage handler with a 2 way radio and told him what we needed. He radioed someone on the plane and brought they back our stuff.
Departures: Do NOT let the helpful guy take your luggage from the bus to your check-in counter. Cancun airport is very small and our counter was about 50’ from the door and the guy wanted $200 peso tip! As if! After the security checkpoint is a small food court and duty free shop. But if you go toward your departure gates, there is a larger, newly renovated waiting and food area with another duty free shop.

Overall

It is a nice resort with great potential, and we enjoyed our time away from our glaciated home, but the inconsistency, spotty service and terrible room amenities left me feeling ripped off. We won’t be returning until we see some much needed room upgrades WITHOUT increased room rates.

Room Tip: Villa 60 in Riviera closest to Pool area and easy access to Punta Emilia, beach, saltwater pool, lob...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Rob_K_Canada
Dear Rob_K_Canada

Thank you for your comments about our resort, for us is really important to know the opinion of our visitors, we understand and hope that these situations do not affect the good image that you have of the hotel, and we Sorry about all the inconveniences at the airport.

Thanks again and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment or if you decide to visit us again.

Asistant Manager
Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Just returned from a lovely 10 days here. The staff are amazing, hard working, always pleasant and happy. The setting is absolutely gorgeous, combining a hotel with the preservation and care of all the animals. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the food is excellent. Thankyou to all the staff for creating such a lovely hotel, we loved it.

3 Thank susan l
Dear susan I,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Iowa
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was our 5 trip to this resort, staying in the Royal section, which is adult only. As usual it was a great trip. Food at the restaurants was very good, and the service was Great. The staff was very friendly as always. Great drinks and plenty of variety. The rooms, grounds, and pools were very clean. Plenty of loungers on the beach, even though the resort was at maximum capacity. We were there the first 2 weeks in February. Our only complaint other then having to leave, was one morning at the breakfast buffet the food was not very hot, with some of it being on the cold side. But the rest of our stay it was always hot, with plenty of variety.

1 Thank lhamlett
Dear Ihamlett,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected, specially being a repeater guest that enjoyed your previous visits.

Kindest regards,

Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!