“Large 5* Resort with lots to do but never too crowded.”

Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Large 5* Resort with lots to do but never too crowded.”
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I have worked in travel for the past 40 years and this is the best all inclusive I have been to. We were lucky to be upgraded to a junior suite in villa 63, which was very near to the seawater pool a lovely tranquil place with 4 poster sun beds..
Although the resort is huge there are so many ways to get around. To go to breakfast in the morning we could either walk along a wooden walkway about 10 minutes. Could walk a few minutes then catch a boat across lagoon to the buffet. or could wait at stop for transport which continually goes round resort.
We tried all 9 A la Carte Restaurants, our favourites were Ribs n More, Brazilian and Fish Restaurant down on beach. Loved the fact you dont have to book, just turn up, there is usually a 45 minutes wait but they all have bars.which serve top international brand drinks.
I,m usually critical of house wine at all inclusives but tried red, white and rose, all fine.
We usually went to the buffet in Riviera for breakfast as found the Colonial buffet a lot busier. We would liked to have tipped a few more staff at buffet as they were all so friendly and helpful, if they had a central box to place tips in, it could have been shared out more fairly.
We had one day of rain so spent it in the Spa, which I was suprised not too full and great steam room, sauna and jacuzzi.
Overall this was a fantastic holiday have already recommended it to lots of Clients. Dont usually go to the same place twice but might make this resort an exception !!!!!!!!

I

2 Thank sandiemike
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2017
Dear Guest

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation.
Thank you for your feedback. This information has let us know during the years to know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on and we can proudly show a new development with many renovated facilities and a generally resort upgrade.
We appreciate your kind words on our resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.
We feel honored that you would return and can’t wait to see you on your next vacation!

Grand Palladium Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Just came back from a 7 night stay over Reading Week with myself and three other girlfriends. Amazing resort, would go back.
Accommodations: The room was very nice, spacious and clean, and mostly had everything we needed. The majority of our problems with the resort occurred with the room itself but it was nothing that ruined our stay or made us dislike the hotel. The beds are bouncy, but a little stiff, so if you are looking for a luxurious sleep, you won’t find it, but I slept just fine. The door to the bathroom is placed in a weird spot so the door had to be closed to do anything, not a problem, just weird. We had a leak in the bathroom our entire trip, which I found at the end to be a leak from the roof (we were on the second floor so someone above us must have had a problem too). The leak dripped from the roof, onto the counter, and then onto the floor and pooled everywhere. The hotel was great about giving us towels to clean it up, but they didn’t end up fixing it during our stay. The toilet seat broke on us as well, the seat cover popped off, so we ended up having to sit very carefully for the duration of our trip, but not a big deal as we were rarely in our room anyways. The last problem that we had was that the iPod dock/alarm clock was broken in both of our groups’ rooms, so we had to rely on my watch as an alarm for the whole trip. The maid supposedly tried to fix it, but whatever she did didn’t work as we couldn’t even turn it on. Not a huge deal as we weren’t planning on having a dance party in the room and we could survive using the watch, so it was fine.
Food: The food was so-so, breakfast was the best. The breakfast had a great selection and our whole group lived for their French toast, it was SO good. Lunch was predictable with most of the food being hamburgers and hot dogs. Not a huge deal as we weren’t usually too hungry at this point, but it would have been nice to have something different. Dinner was just a preference for me as I have stayed at another resort and I liked their way of doing things better. The other resort mixed things up with new dishes every night but an international selection. Palladium had themed nights (ex. Italian night, Asian night...etc.) and so it was dependant on what type you liked. The good thing was that the al la carte’s were no reservation necessary; you went to the place whenever you wanted and hoped they had a table, if not you waited for a while for a table. So this meant that if you didn’t like the buffet’s theme for that night, you could go pick an a la carte. We really enjoyed the Mediterranean Restaurants food (it was the best – limited choices for chicken and beef as it was mostly seafood, but the ravioli and the chicken skewers were very good, as was the soup), we also went to the Japanese Restaurant. The only issue that we had at the Japanese one was that they took reservations for the Teppan dining (cook in front of you) at 5, while the restaurant doesn’t open until 5:30. So we ended up eating at a regular table and ordered food from there. I don’t usually like sushi, but I really enjoyed their sushi appetizer selection, we all ended up ordering the teriyaki chicken, and although mine was rubbery, everyone else’s was really good and moist, so I didn’t make an issue about it.
Pool/Beach: The pool and beach were both amazing and our group used both. The pool was more popular then the beach, so it was very easy to find a chair on the beach, but the pool became difficult if you looked for a spot anytime after 8 or 9 (this was reading week of course so it might have just been the resorts capacity was higher than usual). We did find a spot for the 4 of us at the pool on 2 occasions and it was very nice. The breeze from the water is blocked though, so you need a dip in the pool as a reprieve after a while. The water is...refreshing to say the least. Very cold, but once you get in, it’s great! Please note though that it is VERY deep. I am 5’4” and on the tips of my toes I could JUST have my head out of the water, but you struggled. We found that it is this deep completely surrounding the swim up bar too, so if you wanted to go elsewhere with your drink you got quite some exercise trying to stay afloat with the drink. It was a great pool none-the-less though and we enjoyed the use of it. The beach I preferred because you had the breeze that came off the water and that kept you refreshed. The only issue that I had with the water was that I wanted to snorkel by the coral there, but it was red flags every day so the water was too choppy to do so. So I didn’t get much use of it. The beach is very nice, the sand a little rockier than another resort that I have been to, but closer to the water it gets better. Overall both the pool and the beach were awesome and we all made use of both amenities.
Nightlife: Our group only made use of the disco on one night as it didn’t open until around 11 but wasn’t really used until closer to midnight, and by that time we had gotten bored and gone to bed. The night that we did go though was alright. The DJ played whatever music was requested and we all had a good time.
Every night we went to the show in the Colonial Lobby and we enjoyed those. My favourite was the People of Palladium show, it was all employees of the resort, and it was hilarious!! A few of the shows were identical to shows that I had seen at the other resort, but it was good anyways.
The Sports Bar in the Colonial Lobby was more fun than expected. They had really good popcorn in there and nachos too. They had foosball, ping pong, TV’s, pool...etc. It was a great time for everyone.

Trips: Our group went on three trips, the Xel-Ha (no Tulum), Party Hopper, and Jungle Maya trips. Xel-Ha was awesome, lots of fish to see, I could have spent all day snorkelling. The lazy river was a struggle against the wind and we got our exercise for a week with that. The Party Hopper was amazing for anyone who wants to experience the nightlife off resort while being super safe and having a great time. We went to Senor Frogs, Carlos and Charlies, and Coco Bongo - all were awesome and a blast! The staff with Party Hopper were amazing and I couldn't say enough positive things about the trip. The Jungle Maya trip was a second experience with Alltournative and I couldn't rave about them enough, they are absolutly amazing and the excursion was a blast! Any trip with that company would be amazing!!

Overall we had a fantastic trip and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Not the greatest nightlife, but it was still a great hotel!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank blackiechan91

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding your stay at the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa

We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant experience on our lovely resort years ago. It’s always a pleasure when our guests have a wonderful time with us.

We appreciate your kind tone and look very forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to show you the newest development and progress.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We got married here 5 years ago and came back for our anniversary. We got an upgraded room upon arrival and fruit basket and bottle of champagne waiting for us in the room. Special special thanks to Rosalba Flores.

I wasn't sure if the resort was going to be less then what I remembered it to be ...but it was FABULOUS! I love that it is big and that everyday can be different. There are so many different pools, bars and restauarants to try, and the spa was amazing too (sauna, steam room, hot tubs, hydotherapy, gym, and yoga classes, etc). Great huge beach for beach walks. We had excellent service due to the wonderful staff. Some of the meals at the a la cartes weren't great (Mare Nostrum) but overall the resort did not dissapoint in the least.

We can't wait to return!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your friendly review. We are very pleased to have made your stay a special and memorable one!
It makes us happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we were able to live up your expectations! Thank you for sharing.
Your home away from home awaits you next time you are in Mexico, and show all the newest renovation and progress

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed March 8, 2011

My Husband, myself and our 18yr old daughter stayed at the Grand Palladium riveria late April 2010. This is an awesome place!
One thing I will say it is BIG! So be patient, it does take time to figure out how to get around.
Also...not a lot of teenagers so make sure to have your kids bring a friend or else you may have a whiny teenager hanging onto you! LOL This place is geared more towards adults......refreshing!
Food was excellent. Something for everyone. The buffets offered many many choices, you will NOT go hungry and if you like desserts, you will be in heaven! The specialty restaraunts were at the very least good to excellent, but make sure you make reservations early! They get SUPER busy. The sushi restaraunt was superb the first time we went and OK the second time so I think it depends on the chef. We tried to eat early when we went to them...around 6:30pm.
Beach was immaculate, water warm, but a little on the wavy side, nonetheless wonderful. You must get down to the beach for the sunrise! Spectacular! Go to the saltwater pool area and lay on the outdoor beds and watch the sunrise! A moment you won't forget! Even the 18yr old appreciated it after moaning and graoning that we woke her up too early!! The bar/cafe on the beach by the wedding area is open 24/7 so you can have an early mimosa or coffee and pastry/fruit on the beach as early as you like!Activities galore, pools were wonderful. The adult drinks are just right, not watered down. Be wary 18 is the drinking age in Mexico, so if you have teenagers, although the hotel does a very good job not serving minors. The resort staff super friendly and helpful. the hotel rooms were very nice and kept very clean.
All in all a very pleasuarable experience. We will come back again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing us as you holiday provider. Thank you also for sharing your excellent experience at the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are beyond thrilled when our guests have a fantastic experience with us.
Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future to show you all the improvements and renovations in the last years

Pembroke, Ontario
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My husband and I had our first trip (honeymoon) ever. We did not have a honeymoon when we were married almost 3 years ago. We had a fantastic time. The scuba diving experience was fantastic, and we send them a huge thank you for the wonderful experience. Very wonderful people there, thank you to everyone. My first scuba diving experience ever and I was able to get my scuba diving certificate through them. THANK YOU ALL! The staff was incredible, for all but one server at the main lobby bar who was very upset when I took my drink back to the bar. I had asked for a margarita and got some ice drink pink in color and had the bar tender even ask what it was. That waitress was very rude to me after that, the bartenders were great and made me a real margarita. Thank you very much to the bartenders. The shows were fantastic, very talented dancers and entertainers. We did have an ant problem when coming back to the room, and the staff at the hotel were great to fix the problem right away. Glacious! We enjoyed our tour trips to Coba, an experience that was priceless! Mexico has such a wonderful history that should be experienced by all. I highly recommend experiencing the beautiful country of Mexico. Beautiful white sand beaches and tourquoise waters. Thank you to our wonderful scuba crew who took us to Cozumel, a mesmerizing experience and I highly recommend it! A trip of a lifetime. Thank you!

Dear Guest

Kent
Reviewed March 2, 2011

In summary, we had a great holiday at the Riviera and have no hesitation recommending it. I work in the travel trade and take 3 holidays a year, and the hotel was the best we have ever stayed at. The 4 hotels, although marketed separately are effectively one big one. Colonial and Katenah on one site on the north side and White Sands and Riviera are on another site to the south. Guests can use all the services. To some the size of the place is a problem, to us it was great as we enjoyed the lovely walk through the grounds and we needed the exercise! Some people just decide just to stay on one site, but if you want a choice of restaurants or see a variety of shows you can walk or take the train. It is easy to exaggerate the distances – I timed walking from our block in Riviera (number 63) to Colonial reception and it took just 7 minutes.

Room
We had a junior suite. Plenty of space, efficient air con & hairdryer. The safe was great for valuables although we did leave iPods, cameras, watches etc. in the room without any problems. I really liked the mini bar which ad beer, water and soft drinks and was replenished daily. My only comment would be about the outside noise. The accommodation blocks are square and on three floors with the rooms having doors on the inside of the square. Therefore any noise from guests leaving and entering their rooms tends to get reflected around the inside of the block. Our rooms also had Jacuzzi baths, great fun but if someone decides to have a bath at 2.00am you are going to hear the blower motor if you are unfortunate to be in the room below. Also the stone flooring means you can hear the noise from guests walking above. My advice- ask for a 3rd floor bedroom!

Restaurants & Bars
Buffet breakfasts had a great choice and quality: we could not fault it. We really loved the omelettes and there was never any queuing that I have had in other hotels as there were two cooking stations. There was always sparkling wine available whatever time we ate and never had to ask for a coffee refill. The hotel was quieter during the first week so 2 out the 8 a la carte restaurants would be closed each night, something to bear in mind when planning where to eat. The schedule of closures can be viewed at reception. Average wait was about 1 hour but it was dependent on when you arrived. Get there at opening time at 6.00pm for no wait. Peak times seemed to be 7.30 to 8.00pm. The Japanese restaurant has 3 show tables & to get a place on these you need to queue outside the restaurant when it first opens at 5.00pm to get on the list. My wife was second in the queue, only to be told that the first available table was 9.00pm! When she politely questioned this a space was found for us at 8.00pm. We found out later the Royal suite guests have first option on the tables. We thought all the a la carte restaurants served excellent food and the service was good. We only had one problem in the Italian restaurant. My wife ordered handmade Ravioli for a main, only to be told when it arrived that there was no ravioli that night so she was served some other pasta which I think was fettuccine. She let the matter go and OK it was still pasta but it would have been better to see she was happy with the alternative before presenting it as a fait accompli. Only once did I receive poor service at a bar. The rest of the time the Mexican staff were incredibly hard working, friendly, and are a great asset to the hotel.

Entertainment
The kids club was really well run. A nice activity 3 days a week was that the children would rehearse a show in the afternoon and then present it in the evening on the stage at Colonial. The poolside activities were good fun and had a lot of variety. We did notice that the south side swimming pool was a lot quieter than the north side. During the busy week we would have struggled to get a sun lounger late morning at Colonial whereas there were plenty available at Riviera. The evening shows were enjoyable but I felt there could have been more variety. They were essentially the dancers doing a different dance theme each night. It would have been nice to see a magician or some other act on a couple of nights.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank KentDaisy

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2011

The resort itself is GORGEOUS! We stayed here for 3 days after being bumped out of another hotel due to overbooking. This was also the last few days of our 10 day trip to Mexico. The front desk and bell boy service was incredible. Flawless. We told them we were on our honeymoon and they upgraded us to a suite for no extra charge!! However, some things were a bit tricky after that. We had ants in our room the entire time. I had to call 3 times before someone came, and the next day the ants were back, and were worse. There is no room service, and the only 24 hour food service was about 15 minute walk away. The service was just 'ok.' They were pretty light on the alcohol in the beverages. You need to ask for a double. There is no one circulating the pool area for drinks as other resorts do. Didn't like that. Also, they have a towel card policy. We never received towel cards, and the first two days no one asked us for a card. But on the third day the guy refused to give us a towel without the card! I was a bit upset about this. He told me to go up to the lobby (10 minute walk) to get the towel card. Um... no thank you. Also, they will only fill your refrigerator with soda, water, and beer once per day. If you want more in your room you have to pay for it. No good. The food was good, but I wouldn't recommend this place. The rooms were not noise-proof either. There were times we thought someone had opened and closed our door and it was the neighbors! We had to go check! Beds weren't comfortable either - very hard.