Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
$316
  • Pool
Grand Bahia Principe Coba(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$281
$340
  • Pool
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$249
$187
$159
$154
Orbitz.com
Villas DeRosa Beach Resort(Akumal)(Great Value!)
$76
$277
$227
  • Breakfast included
3,161 results
All reviewsribsthe salt water poolimperial suitefishcolonial poolel doradopunta emiliaa la carte restaurantsadult pooltravel clubbeach barone bedroom suitekids clubriviera sectioncolonial buffetsegway tourcolonial kantenah
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Fantastic resort. Travelled with wife, 2 year old and 5 month old. Just a wonderful place. i highly recomend it.

Food- not bad at all. We were mostly at the buffet coz of the kids. Went to bamboo(asian) and japanese. So so. Buffets are good.

Drinks- mostly awesome. Wine- very bad.

Beach- very good. pools great.

Best part- salt water pool....dont miss this, it is incredible.

Kids club for over 1 year- great. mostl reports have clubs for over 4 years.

Shows/entertainment- surprisingly good.

Lobby at White sands- WOW.

Some people complained here about walking- we did a lot of that and loved it. its a beautiful place to stroll.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank DesiboyToronto
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2017

Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing us as you holiday provider. Thank you also for sharing your excellent experience at the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are beyond thrilled when our guests have a fantastic experience with us.
Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future to show you all the improvements and renovations in the last years

Reviewed March 27, 2010

I absolutely loved the resort was simply amazing it surpassed my expectations. Nicest I've ever stayed in. The food was great, tons of variety seeing as you have so many rest. to choose from. Service was great, rooms always cleaned, maid may have helped herself to our $$ left in our suitcase by mistake $40 missing after breakfast....and by no exaggeration the hotel is HUGE! I'm glad I did'nt bring my 5 yr.old he would not have been patient enough to walk around. I also would'nt recommend the resort to anyone with disabilities or elderly as too much walking is involved even if you use the trolleys. After a week I still got lost:S Mostly positive experinces here.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank barjil

Dear Guest

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation.
Thank you for your feedback. This information has let us know during the years to know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on and we can proudly show a new development with many renovated facilities and a generally resort upgrade.
We appreciate your kind words on our resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.
We feel honored that you would return and can’t wait to see you on your next vacation!

Reviewed March 25, 2010

Well my husband, my 6 month old and 2 of our close friends visited this resort last April and as soon as we arrived we were greeted with a smile, a drink and a free upgrade to a suit...Both rooms were suits...AWESOME!!!! The rooms were perfect with a living area, TV, mini fridge,balcony, 2 sofas and a crib.....we had our own room with a TV and balcony. It made it so perfect with our son.
Omar was the best bartender. You can find him at Hemingway bar located in the Colonial section...He was our man every night for drinks and he was so good with our son....He is missed...I wish I could take him home with us.
Food was OUTSTANDING! what do you want to eat cause it was there and the A LA Cartes were wonderful....Just book the early cause they go fast. The only bad thing was the Japanese was not very good and very salty...I usually love the Japanese show and food when we go on holiday but this one was a miss.
The beach is best on the Colonial side as well, you can see the fishes ans the water is crystal clear. The salt water pool was cool but were it is located,(rocky) the flag was up a lot due to big waves hitting the rock...but still wonderful. Our room was in the riviera section, so we got to see but not use the Yucatan section for adults only....it looked beautiful but I had a 6 month old so that meant I was banned from it:}
The resort is very nice and everything you want is at you fingertips....that is why you pay the price to go there...They even have Climato but they call it Almato...It tastes great either way.
Playa Del Carmen is 30 minutes away but it is worth the collectivo...Just bring a beer with you and all will be well.
Any questions just ask.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank chichi_amore

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding your stay at the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant experience on our lovely resort years ago. It’s always a pleasure when our guests have a wonderful time with us.

We appreciate your kind tone and look very forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to show you the newest development and progress.

Reviewed March 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at White Sands between 7 and 17 March 2010, on a Thomson holiday. Our flight from Manchester was delayed by 3 hours which was a bad start to the trip, but was the only negative aspect of the holiday.

The Grand Palladium resort is fabulous - our room was on the top floor in White Sand 56 right between the beach and the pool, I suspect some buildings are quite a long way from the beach/lobby so be prepared to walk or take the train/golf carts available.

The beautiful grounds are the highlight of the place, with iguanas, racoons and little deer popping in and out of the undergrowth. Although the whole resort is huge, there is a feeling of intimacy because of the way the resort has been built around nature.

We spent most of our time on the beach, which is lovely. Sometimes the waves were too big for swimming, but we swam most days. Loads of sunbeds to choose from and plenty of shade if you require that. The beach snack bar was very good and service fast. I took a snorkel and mask, but wasn't really impressed by the fish and the lack of live coral. I was in the Red Sea in October, which takes a lot of beating!

We ate one night in the Ribs restaurant, which wasn't a good experience. We waited ages for our food to arrive and it was extremely poor quality. We never tried any of the other restaurants after that and just went to the buffet, which was always good with loads of choice and fresh food. Breakfast and lunch were excellent also.

The theatre shows at night are wonderful. We never managed to stay awake long enough to go to the show at 10.15pm, but saw all of the 9pm shows. Very professional!

The spa is very beautiful and relaxing - no kids allowed. We both had massages and shiatsu - the treatment rooms were lovely with music and incense, not cheap but not overpriced either.

The ONLY complaint I have about the entire resort is that none of the pools were heated. Although the weather was super hot, I don't like cold water and accordingly we never used the pools - the sea was much warmer.

I would definitely go back to the Grand Palladium and would stay again at White Sand - Colonial/Kantenah was noisy with families and pool games and I liked the quieter White Sand/Riviera resorts. Each to his own though.

Nearly forgot - the staff are all excellent and nothing was too much trouble for them. We tipped at the end of our stay, and this was really appreciated by them.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank janeybgood

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your friendly review. We are very pleased to have made your stay a special and memorable one!
It makes us happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we were able to live up your expectations! Thank you for sharing.
Your home away from home awaits you next time you are in Mexico, and show all the newest renovation and progress

Reviewed March 16, 2010

This is my first contribution to Trip Advisor which has proven to be a wonderful source of travel guide information over the years. My wife and I and 2 close friends have been travelling to the Mayan Riviera every year for over 10 years. And every year we've stayed at a different resort.

We are often asked which is the best and which is our favorite. Usually I reply, that if I could take all the best features from each, it would be an absolutely unbelievable resort and vacation experience. In the past we've stayed at 3 Iberostars (Tucan when it first opened; The one on Cozumel - my personal favorite; but not my wife's - and the Paraiso). We've also stayed at Barcello Colonial; Dreams Puerto Aventuras; Riu Tequila, Grand Xcaret and another small and disappointing resort that I won't name because they were really nice people who tried their best.

In my opinion all provided great value and terrific service for the most part. But each had its strong points, and not so strong points.

With that said, I would place The Grand Palladium up near the top of that list (although not necessarily on the list of the higher five star resorts to be found in the area). It certainly is comparable to the lower end Iberostars, The Barcello, Grand Xcarat and Dreams Puerto Aventuras.

This is a huge property (comparable in size to the Barcello or maybe bigger). Miles of shoreline, lots of white sand but rocky and reef strewn in sections. Bring your water shoes and enjoy swimming and snorkling in the 80 plus degree water just off the shore.
Also bring your walking shoes and expect a great workout (and to get occassionally lost). Lots of little bridges over the lagoon and water features to cross as well. Also lots of chairs and shade both on the beach and around the pools. Also lots of convenient bars including a great little one on the beach with very tasty snack food (that I would rate as above average).

The resort is actually4 individual resorts (or 5 if you include the Royal Suites. The White Sand and Riviera resorts are to the south and have a massive lagoon surrounded by flowers and natural vegetation. Two small pontoon boats travel back and forth and shorten the long walk from lobby and restaurants to the ocean.

The White Sand is the quiter and smaller of the two but is located closer to the lobby and restaurants. The Riviera is located on the ocean. Great view, great quiet location but a long walk to the lobby and restaurants.

The Royal Suites which are located betwee the two, looked inpressive, but don't know if they would be worth the extra cost. We met a couple from Germany who were staying there and they said they got 12 bottles of liquor given to them for the week. But weren't sure how they could possibly consume it. We told them to drop it off at our room and we would take care of it for them.

The other two lobbies are somewhat like a mirror image of the White Sand/Riviera layout, except there is no central lagoon. They are a little older, but very nice. We actually went to the smaller of the 2 for breakfasts as it was not quite as large and noisy and the one near the White Sand.

You can get to the lobbies easily on the cute little "Italian" train that runs all day and throughout the night taking passengers from a la carte restaurant to restarant and from the two theatres. If you don't use them, it's a long walk anywhere.

One of the stops along the route is the Spa (an unbelievable experience) that is free except for individual services. Make certain to spend some time here.

Recreationally there is everything imaginable on the resort. Good shows in the theatres (Although Barcello's have the best I've seen), music in the lobbies at night, minature golf, a soccer field, sailing, paddle boats and several huge and smaller pools.

Food was good, but not spectacular. Breakfasts terrific, a la cartes were uneven (Brasialian real good, and lots of fun as some of the house specials they serve are "iguana", "El Gato" (cat), monkey, and other made-up names to make the delicious tasting beef brisket, pork and chicken sound even more "exotic". Italian, Chinese and Japanese were disappointing although the prawns and duck in the chinese were very good. Mexican and Mediterranean were both pretty decent.

There are no reservations except for certain upgraded catagories of guests (which I still couldn't figure out). But usually you can get something within about half an hour or so. We were "imperial guests" and were entitled to 5 reservations during the week which was nice in that we could plan our evenings a bit better. Oh and unless it's imported from US you can pretty much avoid the beef (unless it's shredded or Mexican style).

One warning: The wine is not good. Watery and thin. So plan on bringing your own as the wines offered in the restaurants for sale were overpriced. (this compared to Dreams where you could buy a decent bottle for a reasonable price). It was drinkable however unlike the plonk we were served at Iberostar (which used to have great wine). Generally mixed drinks were not too bad. But not a high end selection of premium brands (like those found on Dreams which had above average food and beverages). If you want premium quality liquor (Single Malts, and the like -- plan on bringing your own or buy some in Playa del Carma.

Clealiness on the resort was superior as were the grounds which are the most ecologically rich and well maintained of any resort we've been on (except for Iberostar in Cozumel and maybe the Grand Xcaret - which borders a park and ecological preserve).

Rooms also very clean and service was good. Standard bar was stocked daily with water, beer, and pop.

One feature we did not like, was the Jacuzzi tub located beside the bed without seperate privacy for toilet and shower. Great if your on your honeymoon and you spend most of your time rolling between the bed, the jacuzzi and the shower. Not so great if you want a bit of privacy while you engage in your morning constitutional. And 2 sinks is a must, if you're travelling with a companion who wants to get dressed and made-up every night. I just shaved in the hallway while my wife hogged the sink and the all the mirrors. (just kidding sweetheart).

The staff were all great. Very accommodating. And very appreciative of tips. I didn't see a lot of tipping on this resort. unlike the Barcello and Iberostars where you have to tip to get a decent drink. I usually leave 3 dollars on the pillow every day witha little thank you note in Spanish along with my request for water, extra pop, face cloths of whatever. I've always had very good service in my rooms. Registration was quick and efficient. And the Bell men and on site management staff were very professional, courteous and accomodating.

All in I gave this resort 4 stars (which would be on par with all the other resorts we've stayed at in the region) and place it in the top 3 or 4 we have stayed at.. I'm saving the five for the places we can't quite afford just yet.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple