“White Sands Wedding”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
“White Sands Wedding”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My fiancee and I had our wedding at the White Sands on January 8th, 2014. We had 42 guests with us (both friends and family). I will try to divide the review into sections as there is A LOT to talk about (so please read on!). Hope everyone finds my review helpful! I will be comparing this resort often to the Excellence in the Dominican as this is the only other all-inclusive resort I've been to. Sections will be as follows: Airport, welcome, rooms, food, restaurants (specifics), beach and pools, wedding, excursions.
-PLEASE read the wedding section if you are thinking of having your wedding here.

Generalized pros and cons
Pros
-Free wi-fi (if slow)
-Fantastic beach (requires water shoes or careful steps)
-Lots of food options (though quality varies)
-24/7 beach food available at two locations.
-Huge resort, so never felt crowded (but hard to find people and easy to get lost)
-Fun mini golf, archery, shuffleboard.
-Jonathan Cabezas (JJ) from alltournative ecoarcheological adventures group.
-Nidia as a wedding coordinator.
-Salt water pool is more quiet and has its own bar.
-Lots of little carts and the trains to help bring you back and forth between sections of the resort.
-Big gift card to the span if you go to the travel club meeting. High pressure sales environment so be ready. The people are nice and if you do buy the travel club package you'll get faster pickup by special vehicles and some other perks.
-Amazing pictures as the environment and weather were both absolutely amazing!
Cons
-Small swim-up bar at the main pool.
-A decent trip from the airport and from many excursions
-No room service whatsoever unless you're at royal suites.
-Room was tidied up and the bed was made, but I'm not sure if it was ever actually well and truly cleaned. Sometimes grass or dirt on bathroom floors tended to linger.
-Food quality (in my opinion) was only passable. Quantity should be cut down to provide better quality in general.
-MUST take care to choose the proper wedding location if you're having a wedding.
-You get raked over the coals for the wedding packages (price-wise), though I loved my wedding and (more importantly) my wife loved it.
-35USD fee to use the ATM at the resort, which is beyond highway-robbery.
-Lots of bridges so if you have knee issues or older members in your group, it may be more difficult to travel around.
-Pillows and bed are harder than you might be used to. (Was still so tired every night that I slept with no problems).

Airport
1): Make sure your baggage is easily differentiated so no one accidentally takes it and so you can grab it quickly. I saw a few people with the same luggage, so stickers, etc really help. We had our luggage accidentally taken before, and this is a headache you want to avoid.
2): Do not buy water at the airport if you can avoid it. It costed 4USD and they had water on our Air Transit bus for 2USD each (along with other beverages).

Welcome
1) I would recommend one person stay with the luggage and a second person run to the counter to get signed in if you have a huge group. Lots of little things to deal with as soon as you get there.
2) I would encourage the resort to be more prepared to welcome guests in the future. At the Excellence in the Dominican, they were prepared with a choice of two drinks (one alcoholic, one non-alcoholic) as you approached. This made us feel welcome and special, whereas the reception here felt much more hands-off.
3) MAKE SURE you get a couple copies of the resort map. The humidity makes it wear pretty quickly and you'll need a few copies.
4) Book excursions immediately if you can. Once you get rolling, you'll be busy having fun and relaxing and may end up doing them at the last minute. More on excursions to come.
5) You should be given a welcome bag when you arrive from the travel club. You should have your own as well, obviously, but this was nice. A note to the resort: I asked for a second bag but was told I couldn't get one. The bags are cheap-looking but practical, and a guest should not need to beg for a second bag if one is requested. Considering the price paid, I found it nearly astounding that they couldn't accommodate this request.

*****Room Pros:*****
-I'll just quickly note that I do not believe the Mayan suite is worth the extra cost unless you are on your honeymoon or you really, really want the privacy of having your own little building.
-We were in a Mayan suite at the White Sands resort. The room has a large bed, couch, table, tv (wasn't working when we arrived, but was fixed after a few requests to fix it), and balcony on the water (complete with a hammock and lounge chairs).
-Mayan shower was really cool, water pressure was fine, and water was warm.
-Fridge was well stocked with local beers, pop, and water bottles.
-Safe was included in the closet and worked well. Just don't forget to lock it!
-FREE WI-FI is an excellent tool (though I should note it is extremely slow).
*****Room Cons:*****
-Closet is very small, as the ironing board and iron take up a lot of room. I recommend taking them out and depositing them somewhere else in the room.
-The closet door got stuck and we needed to figure out how to open it properly by lifting the one door to get it to move.
-Hangers do not easily come out of the closet and there may not be enough of them if you have brought a lot of clothes.
-Fridge was extremely small. If you bring home food from the beach as leftovers, you will struggle to find room for it.
-Shower in the Mayan suite did not have a shower head. It was basically a hose jutting from the wall with warm water and a beautiful shower setting. Being able to take showers outside was nice.
-Lights outside (in the shower area outside) turn off at 11pm, so if you want to take a shower after that it'll be somewhat dark. We asked twice to have the lights turned back on, and the one time they accommodated this request and the second time we were told it wasn't possible to turn the lights on, so be prepared for inconsistent service.
-No room service whatsoever unless you are staying at the Royal Suites. We paid a similar amount going to the Excellence in the Dominican, and had access to 24/7 room service. It might have taken a while to arrive at times, but this was a nice option. That said, you should never go hungry at this resort.

*****Food Pros*****
-I will firstly note that I do not enjoy seafood, so if you do enjoy seafood you'll need to extrapolate from what I write and other reviews to help you out. Sorry!
-Lots of options as there are a total of 14 restaurants between the two resort buildings.
-Each of the a la carte restaurants has a buffet style salad bar. (However, I'll note that this was not always stocked with everything noted on the menus, and I believe this is here to lessen the workload of the waiters and cook-staff more than for any sort of actual convenience or value).
-Buffet breakfasts are excellent, with plenty of fruit, fresh juices, pastries, meat, and other assorted goodies. Plenty of bacon, pancakes, French toast, hash browns, and all the usual things one would expect.
-24/7 beach food was excellent and was some of the best food at the resort. I recommend the chicken fajitas, though others in the group enjoyed the jalapeno poppers and quessadillas.
-Fresh crepes are incredible, but only available at dinner time at the buffets. If you are reading this review and you work at the resort, please get rid of one of the other random breakfast items and serve crepes.
*****Food Cons*****
-Though there are 14 restaurants, I did not find the quality at any of them to be truly outstanding considering the time needed to wait for your meal.
-Buffet options are extremely varied, but again I did not find the quality of any of the individual items to be truly outstanding.
-Mexican sauces were always available at the buffet, but none of them had much of a 'kick' to them and they were inconsistent in their spiciness.
-Each time I requested something extra (special habanero hot sauce) I felt like I was being a burden. I absolutely did not feel this way at the previous resort I'd stayed at. I'm sure this is due to the fact that the waiters are constantly rushing about and are serving too many tables or that the kitchens are too busy.
-You cannot take food to go as I tried asking a couple of times. This was rather shocking to me, as at the Excellence I had no problems with this. One time I was halfway through a meal of pad thai there and ordered another full plate to go and this was done with a smile.
-You can only book reservations a few times for the a la carte restaurants. Sometimes even with a reservation you had to wait for your seat and without one we heard of groups that had to wait upwards of 45 minutes.
-Long wait times for your food along with the unimpressive quality of the food meant that we often preferred just to go to the buffet. I should note that my fiancee preferred the food here in Mexico, though I strongly disagree.
-If you are trying to meet up with people, make sure to be very specific about which buffet and which section of the buffet you're meeting at or you'll end up eating alone.

*****Restaurant Specifics*****
Mare Nostrum (Mediterranean): Food here was fairly good. We had this for our rehearsal dinner and went back later during our stay. I enjoyed the soup and the pork with cheese on top. I forget the names of each.
La Adelita (Mexican): Hmm. What to say about the food here. When we went with a large group most enjoyed the food. If the chicken mole had been an option the night we went, I would have ordered that. However, my fiancee and I ordered a chef special beef dish, and when it came it was inedible. I literally could not cut the meat, and the small piece I tried was not good at all. It's likely a fluke, as most of the group said the food was good, but we went there once and I was not impressed in the least (whereas the single time we went for Mexican food in the Dominican, we found it delicious).
Portofino (Italian): We had this food for our wedding and it was excellent. Courses were served at a reasonable pace, and they did not interrupt speeches or anything of that nature. We went back a second time during our stay.
Rodizio (Brazilian): Food was ok. I only found the turkey wrapped in bacon to be truly excellent. if you've been to Copacabana in Niagara Falls (or elsewhere) you're going to be disappointed. I enjoyed my dinner here because of the company more than the food itself, though there is a good variety.
Other Restaurants:
-Book the japanese Tepanyaki show very, very early if possible because it is always booked up quickly. My fiancee and I did not get to go, though we heard that it was enjoyable.
-Steakhouse + Ribs and more and other restaurants: Throughout the week we heard mixed reviews of many of the other restaurants. It seems like luck is a big factor, as we heard from a few people that the ribs and more was fantastic and that it was horrible and not worth going to from others. We heard mostly good things about the steak house, but some were ho-hum about it.

****Beach Pros*****
-Large beach with beautiful white sand and plenty of room to swim.One of the best parts of our stay here at the Grand Palladium.
-Plenty of beach chairs and shaded areas. We never had to fight to find one.
-Sand banks make it possible to swim out a good distance without the waves going above my head. Very enjoyable.
****Beach Cons*****
-Very rocky, so make sure to wear water shoes or tread very carefully.
-Be careful not to sprint into the water and try to run out. If you do, you'll end up stepping on a rock, or stepping into a deeper area and falling on your face. I can say this from experience.

*****Pool Pros*****
-Plenty of pools, plenty of space around the pools with plenty of beach chairs and shaded areas.
-A few adult only pools which are more quiet and secluded where a group can go and relax. Can get noisy if you have a rowdy group (like our group).
-Pools never felt especially crowded, even at the Colonial where there are a lot more families and the kids area.
-Swim up bars.
-Volleyball nets set up and available.
*****Pool Cons*****
-There is only one swim-up bar at the White Sands pool and because of the wide columns, access is not always easy or quick. Swim-up bar at the Excellence was much wider and easier to access.

****Wedding***
-Nidia was an excelelnt wedding coordinator, who was extremely organized and always did her best to help us out.
-There are a few possible wedding locations to choose from. The pictures of the weddings on the beach or at the beach gazebo look beautiful. However, if you have your wedding on the beach there is the sand to deal with and people are often walking by, so you'll have plenty of people photo-bombing your wedding pictures.
-The beach gazebo looks beautiful, but you will NOT see that it is 30ft from the beach restaurant. A few times when weddings were happening people were gawking, trying to walk past, and clapping. People mean well, but you're not going to have a peaceful, secluded wedding here. It is also often VERY windy. Twice when a wedding was occurring the music was still playing from the nearby beach restaurant. I would recommend you ask them to turn the music off ahead of time and try to have a few people keeping people away from the main celebration.
-The gazebo by the church was our first choice after we'd seen the other locations in person. It is much more secluded. The landscape nearby is beautiful for pictures. It is near the Colonial, so you'll need to arrange transportation there. Note that we did NOT have our wedding here because of rain.
-The Spa: We had our wedding here (a last minute change). It was beautiful and handled the number of people well. It was a bit warm inside as there was no breeze, and as the groom I had to stare off to the left to avoid seeing my now-wife before she was coming down the aisle. Everyone else had nothing but good things to say. Since it is at the spa, there are fewer people here as there is an extra cost unless you're a member of the travel club.
-Beach bash was incredible (atmosphere-wise). We had to rent a dance floor and sound equipment for around 500$ to play our playlist from our ipod. The dance floor was quite wet at the start and so I heard nearly every person complain about how slippery it was, but no one had any falls and everyone got used to it.
-Bar at the beach bash was great as we had a wonderful bar staff who made all sorts of cool drinks and shots. The welcome drinks (called Carnival I believe) were great.
-Food at the beach bash was supposedly good, though I didn't get to try any. I would request your wedding coordinator to have the food served much later than it was for us, as it began nearly immediately after our arrival and since we'd just had dinner very few were hungry enough to try anything.
-Wedding cake had to be served at the beach bash as we were running way late. Thrice I asked for the wedding cake to be cut and put on plates for our guests to try, but the wedding coordinator who was there (NOT Nidia) said guests could cut it themselves and take what they wanted. I was pretty ticked off about this, but wanted to enjoy my night. For future reference, if the groom asks you three times to have something reasonable done, you should do it. I was not impressed.

*****Excursions*****
-If you are going on an excursion with the ALLTOURNATIVE group, you absolutely MUST request that Jonathan Cabezas (also known as JJ) take you. His English was excellent, he has studied mesoamerican history, and he was absolutely hilarious. I can guarantee you that the bus ride will fly by with him as your guide.
-Ek Balam and the Cenote Maya were amazing. About 1h45min from our resort, but the time flew by with JJ. However, you DEFINITELY should request that you do Ek Balam first and the Cenote Maya 2nd. We did it in the opposite order and the water at the cenote was freezing and then the ruins were blisteringly hot (literally. More than a few people with mild sunburns left with blistered skin). Mayan food was delicious (avoid the whitish-green sauce if you don't like spicy food) and I learned a lot and got some great pictures.
-Segway tours was a fun diversion. You won't learn much, but it was definitely fun riding around on a segway. For 40$ish, you'll need to decide on whether a run little ride around on a segway is worth it considering the other options.
-We only heard good things about Xel Ha and Adventur, but my wife and I were not able to go on these excursions (somehow, even with 10 days, we ran out of time).

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, though a bit dated. Our group stayed at the Kantenah and White Sands, and n...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank Zafri M
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Zafri M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your highlights of your wedding and vacation with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and we appreciate your comments as they will help us to improve our services.
If there is anything that we can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate as we would be delighted to assist.
We look forward to hosting you for another vacation at the resort.

Kind Regards

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Eureka, Missouri
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Two of the most relaxing vacations we have had were at this resort. From arrival, we felt pampered with Champagne and cheese and fruit tray waiting in our room. We brought friends the second time and they really liked the various restaurants and that we had access to the whole resort area. The bartenders seem to be having as much fun as we are. In Sept, little to no crowds. So some things like the White Out party (everyone dresses in white) was cancelled. There were fish in the saltwater pool so my wife got to "snorkel" (not a good swimmer). There are covered wooden boardwalks over the mangroves throughout the resort. Some parts are in need of repair. But take a walk on them both during day and night as the sounds from the thick bush is different.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jim G
Dear Jim G,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort.

Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Banff National Park, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Yes it is huge...yes you have to walk a bit, plenty of transport if you don't want to. All 6 of us, 14 to 61, found this resort to be fantatic. Staff friendly and helpful, rooms clean, comfortable and large, pools were awesome, beaches fantastic....great snorkelling. Food was good with way too much to chose from, bars all over the place, grounds were beautiful with great trails and walks everywhere. Lots of signs and maps through out...yeah I got lost a couple of times...but who cares not like I was in a hurry to get anywhere.

I was apprehensive at first due to the size of this place compared to other resorts we have visited but I would definitely return and highly recommend it. Any "issues" we encountered were too small to whine about. Always chairs to be found at the pools and beaches despite being spring break....happy faces all around.

Room Tip: White Sand 56-57
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank 510David510
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear 510David51,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Kindest regards,

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Great all inclusive. The staff is available 24/7. Friendly staff-they bend over backwards to make your stay very pleasant. About 1 1/2 hour from Cancun airport. The ATMs in hotel did not work-so try to obtain pesos in airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Escapee1
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Escapee1,

Thank you for your time and for your comments. In all moment, we try to help our guests and I would like to comment that all requests are subject to the availability of the resort.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to the Mayan Riviera, the first with our daughter. This resort was no where near as nice as the two different resorts we have stayed at previously. We did our research before booking this resort, we are reasonable people with reasonable expectations and we take online reviews with a grain of salt. The online reviews of building 52, while not favorable are polite. The grounds around building 52 and inside the rooms smell like sewage. Not like a whif here or there around a septic system, rather its a pervasive odor. We were the last of the families to arrive on a Friday that were booked through the same company, all were put into building 52 and all requested to be moved due to the odor. We had to spend the first night in 52. That first evening I went to 3 different concierge desks to ask about moving, all 3 hotel employees said there was nothing they could do and all 3 used the phrase "too bad, talk to your vacation rep". If I could have left right then and there I would have. Working with our vacation company rep the next day to get moved and the process to move took from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m on top of the wasted time we encountered resistance from the hotel staff at each step of the process. Overall the entire resort needs some maintenance and upkeep. Many of the wooden walkways and bridges had broken areas that were cordoned off with yellow caution tape. The resort staff was pleasant but the level of service was not up to what we had experienced at other resorts we have been to in this area. We ate at the main buffet areas and a couple of the restaurants, the food was good with a nice variety. Our best meal was at Ribs and More. The pools were great, the natural saltwater pool and adjacent bar was our favorite spot on the entire resort. The beach area was nice and a great first snorkeling experience for my daughter.

There are other resorts in this area that are a better value for your vacation dollar.

Room Tip: Avoid building 52.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Steven T
Antonio P, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Steven T,

Thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is really important to know all the impressions from our customers and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. We feel really sorry that your experience in Grand Palladium was not so excellent as desired. About the comments that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know the opinion of our guests, because despite our dedication, sometimes is not enough and we need to know how and where we fall short and what we need to improve to grant nice experiences.

Our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests and comments like yours help us in this allegiance.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a delightful experience

Alejandro Martin
Camrose, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2014

It all started when we checked in...paid for the White Sands Imperial ..we weren't on the list. Ended up in the Riviera. Then we had issues with room, everything from closet doors, coffee pot, shower to blow dryer sparking and cord turning black. They did offer to change our rooms but then we were so far away from everything that it wasn't worth it, just fix the blow dryer was what we asked. So, they did fix everything, but took awhile to get done and still disappointed considering what the cost of this trip was Food was okay, spa was good, but I could not in good conscious recommend this hotel to any of my friends. I have travelled to differnt areas in Mexico, 8 trips to be exact and this was the worst trip ever. Other people we met in the resort had issues with their rooms as well, so not just us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Liz J
Dear Liz J,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay in our resort, for us is very important to know the opinion of our customers in order to improve our service day after day.

We feel really sorry to realize that we didn’t meet your expectations due the mentioned glitches despite all our efforts to grant you a memorable experience with us. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great vacation while with us, at times, unfortunately, our efforts are not successful.

Thank you again and please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide to come back or for any further comment.

Alejandro Martin
Beloit, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I chose this resort because of the beach and the Kids Club that also had a Baby's Club. We took our whole family including a 2, 3, 4, and 8 yr old. The Clubs have an excellent facility (staffed by the Fabulous Rochelle, for one) which is a great place for the kids while you swim, play volleyball, eat, etc. The Colonial pool has a terrific Kids Pool area (where even our big kids had fun). We spent most of our time in that area, which also has a big pool with swim up bar (3 great and fun bartenders), a bar between the pool and beach ( 3 more Fun bartenders who were good), a snack bar, and a buffet. There were always things going on to keep everyone entertained, and the guys in charge of that were a lot of fun. And it's right next to the beach...the most beautiful beach...so clean (as this whole resort is). You can walk right into the water and snorkel, without taking an excursion somewhere. The fish are all around and you can see them without even putting your face in the water.

Food: I had read both good and bad reviews....actually the food is very good, but it's not the amazing gourmet food you would get on The Sea Goddess, for instance. But it's good.
There were 13 of us,including those little ones, so we were a tough assignment when we all tried The ElDorado together. Our waiter, Bernadino, was a saint as he took good care of us, and never lost his big smile. In the Colonial Lobby bar, Valentin can mix a good drink, and he's fun to talk to.

The entire staff is cheerful, friendly, and helpful. Every one has a big smile for you and a friendly "Hola"...even people who are not in a position to get a tip, like gardeners, workers, delivery men, etc. Many often went out of their way for us.

This resort is SO beautiful, and SO clean...a pleasant experience.

Our maid was Deysi, and we were pleased that she could clean our room so well without disturbing our things.

This resort has excellent management to keep this place running so efficiently 24 hours a day.

Room Tip: We loved being right next to the wooden walkway to the beach (Bldg 58 and 59) and about midway betwe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Kay C
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Kay C,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your group enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Kindest regards,

Assistant Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#80 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!