“Great All inclusive hotel.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Great All inclusive hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Great all inclusive. The staff is available 24/7. Friendly staff-they bend over backwards to make your stay very pleasant. About 1 1/2 hour from Cancun airport. The ATMs in hotel did not work-so try to obtain pesos in airport.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Escapee1
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Escapee1,

Thank you for your time and for your comments. In all moment, we try to help our guests and I would like to comment that all requests are subject to the availability of the resort.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

Kind regards,

Assistant Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to the Mayan Riviera, the first with our daughter. This resort was no where near as nice as the two different resorts we have stayed at previously. We did our research before booking this resort, we are reasonable people with reasonable expectations and we take online reviews with a grain of salt. The online reviews of building 52, while not favorable are polite. The grounds around building 52 and inside the rooms smell like sewage. Not like a whif here or there around a septic system, rather its a pervasive odor. We were the last of the families to arrive on a Friday that were booked through the same company, all were put into building 52 and all requested to be moved due to the odor. We had to spend the first night in 52. That first evening I went to 3 different concierge desks to ask about moving, all 3 hotel employees said there was nothing they could do and all 3 used the phrase "too bad, talk to your vacation rep". If I could have left right then and there I would have. Working with our vacation company rep the next day to get moved and the process to move took from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m on top of the wasted time we encountered resistance from the hotel staff at each step of the process. Overall the entire resort needs some maintenance and upkeep. Many of the wooden walkways and bridges had broken areas that were cordoned off with yellow caution tape. The resort staff was pleasant but the level of service was not up to what we had experienced at other resorts we have been to in this area. We ate at the main buffet areas and a couple of the restaurants, the food was good with a nice variety. Our best meal was at Ribs and More. The pools were great, the natural saltwater pool and adjacent bar was our favorite spot on the entire resort. The beach area was nice and a great first snorkeling experience for my daughter.

There are other resorts in this area that are a better value for your vacation dollar.

Room Tip: Avoid building 52.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Steven T
Antonio P, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Steven T,

Thank you for your feedback about your last holidays with us. For us is really important to know all the impressions from our customers and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. We feel really sorry that your experience in Grand Palladium was not so excellent as desired. About the comments that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know the opinion of our guests, because despite our dedication, sometimes is not enough and we need to know how and where we fall short and what we need to improve to grant nice experiences.

Our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests and comments like yours help us in this allegiance.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a delightful experience

Kind regards,

Alejandro Martin
Assistant Manager
Camrose, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

It all started when we checked in...paid for the White Sands Imperial ..we weren't on the list. Ended up in the Riviera. Then we had issues with room, everything from closet doors, coffee pot, shower to blow dryer sparking and cord turning black. They did offer to change our rooms but then we were so far away from everything that it wasn't worth it, just fix the blow dryer was what we asked. So, they did fix everything, but took awhile to get done and still disappointed considering what the cost of this trip was Food was okay, spa was good, but I could not in good conscious recommend this hotel to any of my friends. I have travelled to differnt areas in Mexico, 8 trips to be exact and this was the worst trip ever. Other people we met in the resort had issues with their rooms as well, so not just us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Liz J
Dear Liz J,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay in our resort, for us is very important to know the opinion of our customers in order to improve our service day after day.

We feel really sorry to realize that we didn’t meet your expectations due the mentioned glitches despite all our efforts to grant you a memorable experience with us. While the staff at Palladium does their best to make sure that our guests have a great vacation while with us, at times, unfortunately, our efforts are not successful.

Thank you again and please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide to come back or for any further comment.

Alejandro Martin
Assistant Manager
Beloit, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

I chose this resort because of the beach and the Kids Club that also had a Baby's Club. We took our whole family including a 2, 3, 4, and 8 yr old. The Clubs have an excellent facility (staffed by the Fabulous Rochelle, for one) which is a great place for the kids while you swim, play volleyball, eat, etc. The Colonial pool has a terrific Kids Pool area (where even our big kids had fun). We spent most of our time in that area, which also has a big pool with swim up bar (3 great and fun bartenders), a bar between the pool and beach ( 3 more Fun bartenders who were good), a snack bar, and a buffet. There were always things going on to keep everyone entertained, and the guys in charge of that were a lot of fun. And it's right next to the beach...the most beautiful beach...so clean (as this whole resort is). You can walk right into the water and snorkel, without taking an excursion somewhere. The fish are all around and you can see them without even putting your face in the water.

Food: I had read both good and bad reviews....actually the food is very good, but it's not the amazing gourmet food you would get on The Sea Goddess, for instance. But it's good.
There were 13 of us,including those little ones, so we were a tough assignment when we all tried The ElDorado together. Our waiter, Bernadino, was a saint as he took good care of us, and never lost his big smile. In the Colonial Lobby bar, Valentin can mix a good drink, and he's fun to talk to.

The entire staff is cheerful, friendly, and helpful. Every one has a big smile for you and a friendly "Hola"...even people who are not in a position to get a tip, like gardeners, workers, delivery men, etc. Many often went out of their way for us.

This resort is SO beautiful, and SO clean...a pleasant experience.

Our maid was Deysi, and we were pleased that she could clean our room so well without disturbing our things.

This resort has excellent management to keep this place running so efficiently 24 hours a day.

Room Tip: We loved being right next to the wooden walkway to the beach (Bldg 58 and 59) and about midway betwe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Kay C
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Kay C,

Thank you for your good comments and for the feedback, as our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, and the way we can do it is to know what our guests like and the things we can enhance.

We are happy to understand that you and your group enjoyed your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Kindest regards,

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We travelled to White Sands March 12-19 and I have to say it was a great vacation. There are several things to complain about but they are subjective, such as food, distance walked and the amenities. My only real complaint was the food in a couple of the a la Carte outlets. I have been in F&B for many years and the Service and quality of food is subpar for a 5 star. However the buffet's I found to be actually quite good which was a pleasant surpise.

The rooms were very good. We travelled with Air Transat and as such booked an Imperial Suite which is a one bedroom. It had 2 balconies and was spacious and clean. As part of the Imperial room we had 5 a la carte reservations we could use and we used 3. After our experience (El Dorado and Portofino) we decided the buffet was satisfactory.

We travelled with our 4 and 7 year old children and the WaterPark at the Colonial Pool is fantastic for children. We hung out there most days and it was really close to the beach, the Kids Club, the beach bar, snack bar and one of the Buffets. It was Perfect. We spent several days on the excellent beach and did plenty of swimming in the ocean and snorkeling.

The drinks were good IMHO and we were able to get a drink with minimal effort. Chairs and loungers were always in good supply as far as I could tell.

It's a big place, so if you don't like the Jungle, or walking, do not go! Myself and my family thought the walks were quite pleasant and there is a train that shuttles people around if you need. It's a fun time just to ride it. There is also a little boat tour around the lagoon that provides a nice breeze when required.

I found that there were plenty of activities to do and didn't really take part in any, but it seemd like there was lots. The shows were too late for my kids, which was really fine for us, again, subjective. They started at 9:30p. I liked the mini flea market in the Colonial Lobby and found some good buys like picture frames and Knick Knacks, the vendors were friendly and not pushy. Again this can be subjective as some people are there to not be bothered at all.

We stayed in Villa 57 White Sands, thought it was close to what I wanted, and if you really want to be close to the beach and the pool Villa 59 is where it is at.
I got no pressure from any Members of the Travel Club and it seemed like it was there if you were interested, if not, then no biggie.

I had plenty of Wi-Fi during my stay and checked a few emails and sent a few texts. I am an IT guy and it was easy to connect. The passcode is on the little wallet that your keys are in. Enter that and fill out the form and presto, Wireless. We both had our phones connected and were able to text each other when were not together at various times. Worked out. The cost of Wi-Fi was included in my Imperial Suite reservation through Transat, a perk I would say. I checked my phone usage when I got back and I was not charged, so the Wi-Fi works.

Check out the Salt Water Pool that is a little south of the Main area, and the beach bar Las Rocas. It is a great and very unique setup. Not for children in my esitmation but for Adults it is fantastic.

Special shout out to Jose, Victor, and Jorge at the Beach Bar, good guys and great bartenders. Visit them and you will find out why. Another shout out to Brandon at the Riviera Lobby bar. Another very good bartender and a great conversationalist, his English is excellent.

Room Tip: Villa 57, 58 or 59. You'll be happy there.
3 Thank clarkesr
Dear clarkesr.

I would like to give you thank you for your time and your comments. I will share this with the rest of the team.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just got back from a wonderful vacation. I have been reading reviews for a few years, trying to decide which hotel I should pick. Weighing out all the pros and cons ..I am very particular and wanted everything just right..
We stayed at the white sands hotel at the Grand Palladium. They tried very hard to meet all my requests. I am happy to say all were met except a corner suite. Later found out most corner suites in the building I requested were smoking.. I requested a non smoking suite.So really all were met..Front desk staff were nice..

The room was nice. It was a junior suite. I do think the comforters need updating but really who cares in the end. If you are spending a lot of time in your room, then you are missing out..The room was always cleaned well each day and fridge fully stocked. I left a small tip everyday and sometimes it was not even taken.. I even arranged the coins in a happy face.. Still not taken..
If you tend to overpack, you will need some more hangers. there are plenty if you pack on the lighter side. My daughter and I packed way too much and needed the extra hangers. We also did not need or wear all the clothes we brought..Not a lot a drawer space but enough if you have packed reasonably.
Reviews about the pillows and beds being very hard are true..We brought our own pillows and a mattress topper for my bed..I have an implant in my back and needed a firm bed but with a small amount of cushioning. If this is something you may need for yourself. You will need your travel agent to add this to your file so you are not charged for the extra weight, due to medical reasons..My agent did not and I was almost charged for the extra weight. Luckily the Air Transat team at the airport were able to help and I talked to the Transat Rep at the hotel first day. She got my file updated. She was very nice. I even heard a couple complain to her about a waiter that didn't bring their dollar change. Which one would assume, it was a tip. She took the dollar out of her wallet and paid the couple..
I used Maritime Travel in Halifax. I bought my trip at their huge super-sale weekend. FYI, not worth the money saved to be a number instead of a person with travel needs. I will never use Maritime Travel again..Not even if it is free, I felt like a bother each time I contacted my agent..In the end I went back to the agent at Sears travel for help. I almost booked the trip through her but the sale in the end won out.. The agent at Sears even though I didn't book through her was so much help..Speaks volumes.Thank you.

I have heard so many bad reviews about the food. I was so concerned. I am a very particular person. I love good food. The buffet for breakfast and lunch were perfect. Lunch time there are also quick take out food, mostly mexican on the beach and smaller buffets set up near the pools where you can sit outside..
Yes maybe by the last day I was tired of the food but not because it wasn't good.

Dinner. We ate in one of the a la carts each night. Never at the buffet. I think then I would be delivering a very different review had we eaten at the buffet for dinner..

The seafood and Japanese restaurant were very good. Worth the line up for a dinner reservation. You need to be in the line by 7:45 am.. Is this ridiculous absolutely..Definitely a better system needs to be in place. However there is not, so if you want to eat at those places you will need to stand in line..With our time change really not an effort to be up at that time..Typically the first 4 or 5 in line managed the japanese table. then they were sold out.. remember there are 4 hotel lobbies that all open for reservations at 8am.. There are only two tables of 10 with three sitting..

The other a la carts, simply be there at opening between 5:30-6pm.. You van not reserve them..If you are there at that time, you will have no problem getting a table with very limited waiting..There are 9 restaurants so within a week, you will only be able to do seven. We missed the Brazilian and ate at the ribs and more instead. The Brazilian is one of the best according to many quests I spoke with and its different.. YOU DO NOT GO TO MEXICO TO EAT RIBS.. SERIOUSLY!!

The RIBS AND MORE restaurant was horrible.. i will say the rolls were good but they were everywhere..Service and food was awful.. The same sweet and sour sauce was on everything, even the fish..I am not being picky here it really was bad..We ate at the steak house but it was good. Also can pair with fresh seafood. If you must do something familiar and want food like home, eat at the steak house..More options and great food and service.. Lots of Americans and Brits at the RIBS and More..

Personally the Mexican restaurant was wonderful, another one instead of the Ribs and More would be a great idea. perhaps even making the Guacamole at the table would be interesting..Having two could properly represent several types of Mexican cuisine. You do go to MEXICO to eat Mexican food..

I really do feel that there is something there for everyone. Just do not eat at the buffet all the time. Again this is a 5 star hotel and food is good even sometimes really great but not like a 5 star at home...If that is your expectation, then you need to stay at the higher end 5 stars..

Grounds were amazing and very well kept. Pools were clean and there are 4 I believe in total. The entertainment crew there make sure there is lots going on.. i do feel these activities are more geared toward the younger families.. The pool seems set up for the younger kids at the Colonial and the other pools with a mix.. Not really set up for the teens.. More to that in the end..

The entertainment was not well organized in that no one knew what was going on..We looked for a basketball tournament listed on the hotel board for two days.. when we inquired no one knew what we were taking about..We never found the tournament.. a fire show was suppose to take place. Cancelled with no notice and never rescheduled..We never really went to any of the shows.. The rooms were huge an very impersonal.. smaller more intimate shows would have been up our alley.. Even shows with more quality .,. Magic shows, singing, improv, karaoke, poker, pool tournaments.. All on a smaller scale and booking required. However not like the restaurants, should be guaranteed spots during your stay..

Basically we ate dinner with our friends and went to a hotel lobby and had drinks and talked..Teens needed things to do..

I did a yoga and pilate's class at the pool at 10 am.. Way to late in the morning and hot to be doing that type of physical activity.. It was extremely hot and the instructor did not really take care to make sure that the participants were doing the exercises properly..I looked , some were not..I have done both yoga and pilate's for over ten years. There is a great chance that during these classes there may have been some injuries..The instructor needed to take better care and perhaps even have it earlier in the AM to avoid the heat. At 10 Am its pretty hot!! Whether If it was a free vacation or if she was paid, she should have been better at her job..Very disappointing.

The beach. We are beach people.. Not pool.. The beach is one of the reasons I chose the Palladium. I was looking at the moon palace and Oceans 10 but their beaches are not great comparatively,,

The beach was beautiful. I am from Nova Scotia and I know beaches.. Just the Atlantic ocean makes are beautiful beaches very hard to swim in without wet suits..

There were tons of chairs and snorkelling was good.. never found where to get the gear, luckily brought our own last minute..What wasn't good was the lack of activities for my teens.. They were bored stiff esp my son.. My daughter fortunately likes to lay in the sun and read but still was bored.Anything worth doing costs more money.. My son and daughter did not want to paddle boat or take out the catamaran .. The wind surfer was a possibility but wasn't always available.. They had no paddles and balls or footballs to play with on the beach..Nothing.. They were there but people brought their own.. An all inclusive needs to have more available to keep busy teens and people active.. On the beach Without having to spend additional hundreds of dollars to keep your teens active..We did parasail at 65.00 dollars per person for 15 mins.. They had jet skis but were 65 us for an hour.. No real lessons and not much safety, helmets etc.. It was also run by non hotel people..Only cash no plastic and to get more money out of the bank machine at the hotel it cost 32.00 us service charge..The hotel needs to take charge of this aspect of the beach and provide more activities that are included in the all inclusive package..

Suggestions a surf rider at one of the pools..Basically you need to teen up one of the pool areas..The teens, the one area you lack and I probably think all hotels would be the same.. Remember these are young adults that want to be cool and active.. They are not kids anymore they think they are adults.. my son was 2 month away from being at drinking age there..
I saw free scuba provided but try and find these lessons .. impossible..

When it rains you need a theatre..Popcorn and air-conditioning with a huge screen..A huge screen TV for the teen's after dinner isn't a horrible idea.. Its March madness and my son would have killed to see a few games..

In this aspect of the hotel I found it lacking ..ALL other aspects were wonderful..So if you have teens and they are active and you think they will be bored then bring things with you and be prepared to have some extra cash for them to do the non motorized.. Although even there it lacked.. This would be the only reason that I would say book somewhere else perhaps..Although truthfully it was really good on all other fronts.. I am also not sure where you would get everything..Although the more expensive higher scale 5 star properties would be where you should be looking..
My daughter and I could not go to the spa together Adults only.. Silly!! We wanted a mother daughter day at the spa.. Facials and massages.

The property was huge but manageable.. The tram was always there to take you to another hotel lobby or to your building.. We stayed in building 56. It really was close to everything without being next to the hotel lobby..

It was a wonderful vacation. i would recommend it on all fronts except entertaining my teens day and night.. I would say on the teen front there would be better properties ..I would not go again but that is because I didn't enjoy the property.. I NEVER go to the same place twice.. Too much to see and do..

9 Thank krista j
Dear krista j,

Thank you for your kind words, very much appreciated, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay in our resort and the facilities and service that we provide. All comments are very important for us and for improve our service and facilities every day.

Concerning your observation about the pillows, I just wanted to explain that most of them are brand new and, despite we know that there are different preferences, we bought them with that degree of smoothness with the aim of fulfilling the requirements of the majority of our guests.

Thank you again and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further comments or if you decide to visit us again.

Best regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Our family of four (two teenage boys) visited in March 2014. We have been to a number of all inclusives before, but never a Grand Palladium, or other resort that is this large. We were very happy with the resort and the wide variety of choices. At arrival, there was a mixup with our room choice, but they went out of their way to ensure that we got the room that we needed.

We stayed at the White Sand portion of the resort, and were very happy with our choice. Getting chairs at the pool was never an issue, and there was minimal wait at any of the restaurants on our side of the resort. We got a reservation at the Japanese restaurant (the kids loved the show) and the seafood restaurant. However, we went to the pool around the Colonial side of the resort one day, and the pool seemed to be very crowded. In addition, the wait for the restaurants on that side could be as long as 90 minutes. Again, maybe not a big deal, but we were extremely pleased in the White Sands area and the feeling of no crowds, even during spring break.

The kids loved the food at the Ribs and More and the Brazilian restaurant. The seafood restaurant was simply OK, and would probably not visit that particular restaurant again. The El Dorado was also excellent.

The Activities group at the White Sands pool deserves special attention. They made our days very fun, keeping us busy with a number of activities such as water polo, water volleyball, darts, and the daily "Crazy Game". Great fun was had by all, and their hard work all day long was much appreciated. A special thanks to Fabian, Luis and Diana.

All the employees made our trip memorable. Thanks.

4 Thank HockeyDadMN
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear HockeyDadMN,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected.

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Kindest regards,

Assistant Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,977 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!