“It's Just Okay- Small Kids Review”

Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“It's Just Okay- Small Kids Review”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I'm going to give you the real deal. This is from someone who has travelled extensively (like most of us) and has stayed at 5 star hotels as well as complete dumps when "roughing" it. I'm also going to give the perspective from someone who has small kids. So this is skewed with that in mind. I have 2 girls ages 2 (almost 3) and 5 years old. We travelled with two other families who also had younger children. I'm an executive at a NYC technical/internet company with an MBA- I mention this because I believe I can take a dispassionate view of this resort.

Here are my impressions after spending 7 nights there end of February 2014
- The grounds are very beautiful. Great winding paths. Lots of beautiful foliage and a great many iguanas, weasels, raccoons etc. that provide terrific entertainment for the little ones.
- The pools are big and winding too. They are well maintained with plenty of places for little ones to walk right in to a height they are comfortable with. There were no life guard on duty. We were a little taken aback when we saw one of the maintenance crews using Miuriatic acid to clean the pool walls. I would assume this would be something you do on an empty pool not one in use since it's quite strong.
- The grounds are spread-out. This has been mentioned. I'm in good shape (p90X/Insanity) so it's not a matter of difficulty walking. The problem is little kids will get impatient/tired from all the walking. Let's say you need to go to the lobby...that going to be 20 minutes of walking round trip. Then you decide to go to the beach...another 20 minutes. I have a pedometer on my phone...we averaged 5-6 miles of walking a day. At a 4mph pace that is about 90 minutes each day just to get from point A to point B. It takes a hit out of your vacation time and overall enjoyment when you want to just relax.
- We had a room that was divided into two sections. There is a bedroom (for my wife and I) with a closing door. Outside of this bedroom, is the bathroom (it has a door too) and the living room with a fold out couch.
- Yes. The beds and pillows are very very hard. Seriously. We were so tired so it didn't really matter but I definitely understand how some people would be unable to sleep on them.
- The food. The buffet is just okay. Meaning nothing really tasted fresh. Nothing tasted bad mind-you it's just nothing was impressive. What it lacks in taste they make up in quantity and variety. You will find what you need but it won't knock your socks off.
- The staff- It's a mixed bag. Mostly they were confused. You see this place is so enormous one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. When we asked the same question to three people we would get 3 different answers.
- Information- just a basic lack of it. When are activities available? What do you need to do them? If you don't have an ID you can't take out the kayaks....now you have to decide: Is this worth a 20 minute walk back to my room dragging two kids (see how the size of the place interrupts your trip). They provide a single "schedule" with activities but no other information about those activities. Just a single word- "Tennis." Well that could mean anything. They should give everyone a booklet of information packed with detail. Also, they don't quite keep to the schedule and the activities are constantly being changed....could be just a Mexico thing but I don't think that's a good excuse.
- The staff- I think they're trying. You always have some good eggs and some bad eggs. My sense is that this is a vacation mill and these guys see 1000's of people constantly coming through so they're somewhat numbed out by the whole thing.
- Internet service- was horrible in the rooms but they were having "tech" difficulties. It was free in the lobby and better. I'm on Verizon and there was practically no signal. If you choose roaming to surf the web you will pay a literal fortune if you do get a connection so I would advice against it.
- Kids Club 1- I think the staff are okay. Some other parents in our group had a fight with them because they asked for Passports to confirm the ages of the kids. A) No one told them this was needed. B) Another hike back to the room now C) Copies of passports were already made at registration so why don't they just ask them. D) One staff member aggressively asks the kids their ages since she thought they weren't old enough for the program instead of asking the parent. Again general disorganization.
- Kids Club 2- The activities were okay but not a blast. It seemed most of the young kids didn't really want to be there. It's not that there was anything wrong with the kids club and certainly I felt the staff was trying hard and being attentive. So I didn't feel there was any safety issues.

Tips for Bringing Young Kids
- At White Sands- Get a room in building 56. It's closest to the pool and the beach.
- Better yet, get a room at Colonial because the cool kids pool is there. It has lots of slides, spraying water and a water fall....all of which the kids loved.
- Forget the stroller unless you've got babies. There are bridges here that go over canals. You will have to carry the stroller over these.
- The beach is nice- fine, white sand. The "rocky" part that people mention is called coral and if you snorkel is cool to look at (although not colorful)...there are a lot of fish to see.
- The waves are minimal so great for little kids and the water is warm.
- I would rent a car and drive from the airport. It's a straight shot down a major highway. I didn't because my wife, mom, friends were paranoid about gangs or bad cops pulling us over. This is waaay overblown. We could of had a car for a week. We did rent to go Tulum which was nice and we had no troubles. So if you are comfortable driving I would go for it. No banditos.

Happy to answer questions...so let me know :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank greendaniel
DtorAdjunto, Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear greendaniel,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. We respect your point of view but if you dedide change the opinion and you decide to visit us in the future, please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

Best regards,

Assistant Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Waldshut-Tiengen, Germany
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Perfect hotel with breathtaking beach - snorkeling paradise
The room was big, clean - bathroom also
Food - great in the 11 a la carte restaurants - only tried the lunch buffet once - was ok
Perfect location between Akumal & Playacar.
Service was ok - a bit 'tip-driven'
Miniibar filled everyday
Spa - very nice, especially the infinity pool
Next vacation to Yucatan will be in Palladium for sure

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mooshy_choosky
Dear Mooshy_choosky,

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Kind regards,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Just got back from the The White Sands in Mexico March 2-9 2014.
I read the reviews before leaving not knowing if it was good or bad? I will say this was one of the best vacation our family has had, we stayed in building 5630 perfect location near the pool and ocean. The room was clean and there were no problems with bar and the person looking after the room was excellent. We ate at most restaurants our favourite was Bamboo the food was great. You have to be patient our usual wait was 20 mins but some were longer others we walked right in. We ate later around 7:30 to avoid large groups our family of four was able to find enough on the menu to enjoy our meal every night.
The Palladium is a large resort but it took no time to find our way around got lost once or twice but found new ways to get to where we going. We spent a few days on the beach ( put a towel down on the chairs early) the weather was nice and there were free water activities for our teenage kids. The pools are large and located at two areas Colonial area pool has a kids area and a water park so we stayed. At the white sands area but our kids played beach volleyball everyday at the other resort.. Most of our time was at the adult pool which is very quiet and a nice place to read a book.

All in all this was a great place for a family vacation your a 26.00 cab ride to Playa de Carmen and most tours could be booked at the desk. Every night they have entertainment at two locations and each lobby had music to enjoy. If you want to shop they have local venders each night selling things ( be ready to bargain)

Room Tip: Building 56 was great pool side view nice sunset at the end of the day from our deck.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Warren H
Dear Warren H,

On behalf of the team of Grand Palladium, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments and I will share this with the rest of the team.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

With best regards,
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

As a positive the grounds are incredible and having the local wildlife so close is a treat.
My husband and I had a week stay with a family group of 17. We had several issues with the front end staff working the afternoon/evening shift. We had tried to reserve one of the restaurants before our arrival for a 50th Anniversary celebration, but was told we could not reserve before our arrival. Once we checked in (approx. 7:00pm) we went to the concierge to book the restaurant. We were told most rudely that the restaurant did not accept reservations. We returned to the concierge desk in the morning (new people at the desk) and was advised we could make a reservation and were given 2 alternatives as to how we could book our large group.
Upon checking into our room (7:30pm) our safe did not work. We were advised by the front end staff that someone would be by right away. After several calls back to the front desk someone finally showed up at 11:00pm, the repair was finally completed by 11:30pm.
Out of the 17 of us no one was able to get a good nights sleep. The beds were so hard and uncomfortable. The vacation was for rest, relaxation and celebration which is very hard to obtain when you cannot get a good nights sleep.
Our coffee machine did not work. Took 3 days to get replaced.
On a happier note our maid, bar man and the waiters and waitresses were all cordial and professional.
On our last night a reservation was made for our group. When we called to confirm we were told there was no reservation.
I have spent my career in the Customer Service industry. This is the one thing a company/business can do above and beyond the other company that supplies the same experience so people come back and tell their friends to check the resort out. Between the frustration with the lack of respect from the afternoon/evening front desk staff and the unbelievably uncomfortable beds none of the 17 of us will return nor recommend this resort to anyone. Unfortunate as it was a lovely location.
Nothing like our wonderful stays at the Palladium in the Dominican.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank munster48
Dear munster48,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to share your observations. About the situations that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

About the situation of a la cart restaurants in your particular case we must to do a Set Menu because the number of you group.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to be a better hotel.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us if you decide to visit us again, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation and I’m sure you will appreciate the improvements in our service.

Kindest regards,

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Service, food, staff and beach was very good. Hotel rooms were very nice but very noisy. Music was extremely loud at pools and in the lobby at night. Smoking is still a problem in the lobby and in front of all the restaurants. Getting into the specialty restaurants was very difficult. Was not able to get into the Japanese restaurant any of the 10 nights of our stay. You must join the Palladium Vacation Club (several thousand dollars) if you expect to make a reservation at any of the specialty restaurants. The Spa now costs extra.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jack H
Dear Jack H,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to realize that you did have the wonderful vacations expected,

Thanks again and please let us know if there is anything further we can do and feel free to contact us for your next visit to grant you the best of all attentions.

Kindest regards,

Hanover, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed for a week at the Grand Palladium White Sands. Huge resort of 4 hotels in one complex. More on that later.
Travelled with Sunwing. At the Cancun airport our rep got us on the right bus and delivered to the right hotel and that was about the extent of his usefulness. Maybe other reps were better but this one did his job and went home.
Front desk service at the hotel was fast and friendly but we were the only ones arriving at the time. Did see long line-ups at other times, but that usually meant a whole busload arrived at the same time. Of course it takes time to process that many people. Have patience. And we did not get the usual welcome drink, in fact we had a great deal of trouble finding anywhere to even get one for ourselves. The lobby bar at the White Sands closed at 11:00PM and we were left to find our own supper and refreshment upon our late arrival.
Shuttle service to our room in the middle of the night was good, and we were picked up at our room on the morning of our departure, having booked with them the night before. Supposedly these little shuttles were available for use around the complex all the time, but usually they were delivering arriving guests, or picking up departing guests, OR going at a rapid pace in the wrong direction most other times. We walked.
And walked, and walked. More on that later.
Our room was okay. Some updates and replacement of some bathroom fixtures and tiles would be in order, but overall not too bad. Nice jacuzzi and tiled shower. Biggest complaint was the bed. It was a bit too firm for me, but that's just a preference thing.. but there was a horrible plastic mattress cover such as you might place on a hospital bed or a crib mattress. It was unbreathable (ie: sweat like crazy) and rattled every time you moved. Very unpleasant. Nice balcony and indoor sitting area. Mini-fridge stocked daily with soft drinks, water and beer. Good A/C.
Pool area was very large, sometimes a bit difficult to find a chair. The usual saving of chairs with towels in the morning was commonplace. It was easy to join in the activities, which we did not, but it was also easy to find another area of the pool where it was quieter. Swim up bar was never busy but it was also in the shade most of the day and therefore a bit too cool. There are 2 such huge pool areas in the complex, the other one had children's activities such as a water slide and some falls to splash in, as well as a wading area for small children. There were also 3 adult pools which had limited seating, but were a gem for those of us who like to read and sunbathe. Also a saltwater pool which was never busy and had horrible "discount store" style loungers. Good fish/hermit crab watching on the rocky tidal area.
The beach was great, had an interesting snorkeling area at one end (bring water shoes for the coral/rocky bottom) as well as a great swimming area at the other. Didn't try the water sports. Lots of chairs always available but shortage of palapas at the good swimming end of the beach.
Food in the buffets was good, although by the end of the week it was starting to look repetitive. We could have broken up the monotony by trying the al-a-cartes, but did not. They were not able to be pre-booked. You had to wait until the evening that you wished to eat in one, and line up and book a time then. The line-ups we saw were for the steak-house and some people had to wait for 30 minutes or more just to book a meal time.
Service in the buffets was a bit hit or miss at breakfast, better at lunch and good by suppertime. House red wine was better than the white IMHO.
We had booked the White Sands because it was supposedly better than the other hotels at the Grand Palladium. We did not find that to be the case at all. In fact we spend most of our time at the Riviera hotel (Which shared the lobby area with the White Sands) and Coloniel hotels (Which shared it's lobby area with the Kantenah).
We could have saved several hundred dollars and received exactly the same service level. I am not sure why such a pricing variance when all the hotels had access to the same services (or lack of).
The evening entertainment at the Riviera was good, there was none at the White Sands. Also, if you wished to have a drink at an intimate bar in the evening, forget it, as there did not seem to be such a thing at this complex. The bar service was very slow at all the hotels. It usually took most of 20 minutes between ordering your beverage and receiving it. Order for yourself at the bar to get better service. We did find some smaller bars at the Kantenah hotel, but they lacked any ambiance and had no service except what you ordered for yourself.
The entire complex was a maze of trails and lagoons. What gardens and grounds there were, were well manicured, but most of the complex is surrounded by natural mangrove swamp which needed to only by trimmed back periodically. There were lots of lizards and other native animals. PEOPLE, PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS. They are cute, yes, but not afraid at all, and were coming right into the villas and restaurants at night to scrounge for garbage and whatever else they could find. They carry diseases (like rabies) and defecate and urinate wherever they go.
The grounds could do with a little more colour in the form of flowering shubs and trees.
The smelly lagoon maze at the White Sands and Riviera hotels is traversed by a system of bridges which resulted in an unintentional cardio workout every time you tried to go somewhere. The lagoon maze is continued inside all the hotel lobbies in the form of sculpted ponds and fountains. Very pretty but you had to walk about twice as far as needed to get anywhere. There has to be a better use of real estate. I like pretty, but this theme was overboard.
The location on the Mayan Riviera is beautiful, but the complex is isolated and about 30 minutes from either Playa del Carmen, for which you can sign up for a free shuttle (as long as you are prepared to stop for 1 hour at a jewelry factory) or 30 minutes from Tulum where there are beautiful Mayan city ruins.
Overall we enjoyed the hotel, but the artist that designed it needs to go back to design school to learn some basic rules of efficiency. I like to explore, but we learned every back path at the hotel by taking wrong turns here and there. And the bridges have got to go. I saw lots of people with small children and older people having serious difficulties getting about.
This complex is beautiful, but I can't see myself going back due to service issues and the overall layout of the complex.

Room Tip: Villas 58 and 59 to be close to the beach and pool. Long walk to lobby though.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 101_TravelMom
Dear 101_TravelMom,

I would like to give you thank you for your time and your comments. I will share this with the rest of the team.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Me and my husband had our honeymoon here, and would highly recommend it.
The rooms are huge, with everything you need and more. The staff were excellent and very friendly.
All the food was good, at times the buffet restaurants were very busy and noisy, but that's to be expected in a resort of this size.
We never pre booked at any of the A la Carte restaurants but managed to eat in them all.
We did use the spa facilities and again found them fantastic.
We also ventured outside the resort,using the local bus we travelled to Playa del Carmen. It was safe and very friendly. And a good way to see the places, not normally covered by taxi.
We will return again someday and will have no hesitation in going back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracyw78,

Thanks a lot for such a delightful review about your last holidays in our resort. Reading it made us feel happy for being part of the team that made possible to offer you a memorable vacation.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit!

Kind regards,

Assistant Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!