“Will Return”

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were at the White Sands from June 16th to the 23rd. We are already planning on returning next year. Everything was great. Yes there are Mosquitos, but you are in the jungle, use some spray and it helps. The spa was amazing, especially the couples massage we had. We loved the entertainment provided by the People of Palladium. We bonded with several of the employees and that is part of why we want to come back to the same resort. We had a few minor issues that were immediately corrected. Overall our stay was as close to perfect as any reasonable person could expect. I can't wait to take my kids with us next year. Also many thanks to Victor at the White Sands lobby and Onestay from the POP. They are great employees who made us feel very welcomed.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mick F
Celia B, Directora Adjunta / Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Mick F,

We are glad you find worth to mention our clean premises, courteous staff, and good food.
We really hope to have the opportunity to host you again in Mexico in the Grand Palladium

Victor and Onestay will be pleased with your mention in your review.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

stayed here between 9/6 and 23/6 in villa 61 the staff could not be more friendley and helpful they always try to speak even just an hola if they have no english The room we had had no sea view but not everyone can have everything they want but still will complain . The catering is of a high quality for such a large resort. white sands side of the resort is quieter and not as busy as the rest of the resort and is more spead out but this is a good excuse to get some excercise which I know i needed .I would remind you you can use all the facilities so having a quiet location does not mean you have to stay there.Carlos in the Secret pool his service was outstanding and nothing was too much of a problem for him.Mellissa the evening waitress in White sands lobby was very helpful and if she saw you coming to the bar would try and have your evening drinks waiting for you.

Room Tip: ask for top floor only three floor but this gives you conopy level for the jungle
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Celia B, Celia Benito Andrés at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Hello trainbob,

Thank you for taking the time to post some of the highlights of your vacation experience.
We regret that you did not get a sea view room, but nevertheless, you had an enjoyable stay with us.
We are happy you enjoyed our bar services and we will definitely extend your kind comments to both Carlos and Melissa.
We look forward to seeing you again and hosting you for another GRAND vacation.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Palladium White Sands June 16-23. When we arrived and got our room in Villa 57, we did not have an ocean view. We asked if we could be changed to an ocean view and after 1.5 hours of miscommunication, we finally moved for an additional nightly fee. The new room had some issues and we complained. We asked for our money back for the upgrade and they only would grant us 50% back. We felt that for principal of no TV, broken telephone and wet towels in our room when we first arrived, they could not charge us for the "ocean view" upgrade. However they refused and only have us half the money back. The entire resort did not have TV service and I never got a clear explanation why. The TVs were down the entire week.

Here's a quick run down....

Rooms: Dated and in need of new beds and pillows, bedding, flat screen TVs and better decor.

Food: Breakfast buffets were great, most a la carte restaurants were very good (esp Japanese) and lunch buffets were average.

Drinks: Delicious, but weak

Pools: Great, never an issue finding a chair

Entertainment: Very good, kids stuff was great too, my kids (3, 5 and 8) had a blast.

Beach: Very nice

Grounds: Beautiful and full of wild life. My kids had so much fun finding animals.

Bugs: MESQUITOS are all over the grounds, especially at night. Bug spray helped a little, bring something for the itching.

Kid's Club: My kids went a few times and really enjoyed it and liked everyone that worked there. They were in a few of the mini shows and loved that.

Overall: I really liked the resort. It was huge and I liked that. Nothing was really too far to walk and there were several trams. We stayed at Whites Sands, but spent almost the entire time at the Colonial pool and Lobby, so if we ever return, we'd stay at Colonial. I would return for sure if the rooms were improved with much more comfortable beds/pillows and nicer amenities.

The staff at the resort were all very friendly, especially the kids club.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed from June9-16. Ok I will keep it short, well will try. We stayed at the White Sands, unless it is a steal of a deal won't go back. For a few reasons.i would stay at the colonial though.
We had a great flight through air transat no issues. Check in at white sands a little bumpy but staff helpful and spoke more English than expected. The white sand felt run down, and had various sewage smells along that side of the resort around the lobby, outdoor buffet not pleasant. It appeared clean staff friendly. We had kids and all the bridges not fun to deal with and we don't mind walking but in that heat was too much for our 2 and 9 year olds. We stayed in building 59 was far, but really not bad. 3 minute walk to the colonial pool which we spent our time at mostly. We hung out at the colonial side felt cleaner newer better feel. Our room was clean maids great no issues they spoke little English I spoke little Spanish but worked out. Side note fridges SUCK keep things just cool resort wide. Like not sure why but not ice cold just cool. We have travelled a lot and had a great week, service friendly, good but never got to talk and get to know anyone. Resort is large and lots of guests so did feel rushed when speaking to staff, which happens when you stay at a large place. Beach beautifully... White sand not hot great for walks loved it. Salt water pool with fish great for kids.
Food good no issues. Buffets had different options enough variety no issues.. People that complain about food quality or variety need to stay at a resort that offers them a personal chef. There was always options to grill your own meet or fish the way you like, taco or fajitas, salads, sides bread, lots of options. Breakfast was yummy I am an omelette freak and eat it everyday. But as any Buffett anywhere in the world, the longer you wait to eat from opening hour, the longer some food sits there right...l we loved our stay just felt the White sands felt run down... But we had a great deal and enjoyed out time.
Shout out to Bernie at the dive shop he is awesome we booked. Some excursions with him.. It's great even if your rep says only book through them dive shop great and saved us money from the reps toros for example swimming with whale sharks $190 through Bernie at the dive shop, $205 through the rep.
All native tours is also awesome we did the Cenote maya if you do 1 excursion do this one. It's a cave open with zip lines repelling snorkel oh man both my kids and myself loved it. The Ex Balam ruins was also great!!! HI VINCENT HOPE EMILIANO. Is doing well.. Xo Tyrus and D
So over all we had a blast service was good, but as mentioned we like to get to know people talk to staff by name did not happen here but friendly and smiles.
Food good options buffet and ala carte loved Brazilian did it twice...
Room large clean and cool.
Over all sta 4
Next tip barter barter barter
Markets everywhere start at half the price you should pay 60 pr so % of the original price example
Son wanted souvenir asking price 15 we paid $10 saw it for $4 at the Cenote maya excursion. Daughter wanted turtle jewellery box asking price $18 paid 10, t shirts 1 for 18 two for 35 paid 2 for $20. Walk away they will give you your price!!!!
Have fun smile and try and speak Spanish you'll have fun

Room Tip: Pillows are bricks bring your own... Saved my sleep!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We just returned from a week (June 8-15) at Grand Palladium White Sands Mayan Riviera. We had a GREAT time and would definitely return.

Our flight was delayed due to mechanical problems and we arrived late afternoon to the Kentaneh where we originally booked, only to find out all 6 of us were upgraded to the White Sands! After visiting all the hotels in the same resort, we were very happy with our upgrade. We discovered there was a difference in guests throughout the different resorts. Colonial seemed to have a very crowded, louder enviroment with more family/kids. Kentenah also had more kids, and White Sands proved the perfect place for us 6 adults traveling without children. All are very nice, but it was noticeable so take that into consideration in booking.

The resort is about 1 1/2 hrs from Cancun, so we pre-booked transportation for 6 with Cancun Shuttle company. All was done on-line and I called them when our flight was delayed, and then when we finally took off for Cancun. There was no problem, and they were waiting for us outside the airport (they have bright orange vests). We booked roundtrip taxi so everything was taken care of before we left. I think we paid around $150 for all six people round trip. I would recommend their service.

The resorts are huge and all connected with walking paths, golf carts make rounds and you can catch a ride to all, and they have the larger train cart. We never had to wait a long time, they run about every 15 mins.

Our accomodations were great. We were upgraded to a mini-suite with sitting area w/ couch/chairs, etc. The rooms are very comfortable and our air conditioner was the best! Our room was COLD as I wanted it to escape the heat......very comfortable, ceiling fan also. The mini-bar refrig is stocked daily with water, beer, sodas...all which is included. We had a shower and jacuzzi bath. Daily room cleaning was very good, only thing I noticed was I always could feel some sand on the floor, but think that is impossible to eliminate with people coming in from the beach all the time. We had a large balcony that looked out to the woods, first floor in building 57. There are no elevators, so if you don't like stairs, request first floor. We were very happy with our room. Building 57 is very close to the beach, 5 minute walk.

The grounds around the resort are beautiful, clean, with lots of wildlife to enjoy, (iguanas, racoons, lizards, and someother critters I didn't know the name of). The staff everywhere was wonderful. All were kind, helpful, willing to do anything to make our stay comfortable. Uniforms were worn by all, so easy to identify what service they were working. Tips are not required, but we were generous with our tips (they gladly take American $), and they were very appreciative.

The food was very good, breakfast buffett is huge. My husband has a background as a chef and rated the food as a C....I thought the food was fine. The other restaurants at night prefer, or you needed reservations which was probably the only complaint I have. You had to book the day before, at the front desk, for the nicer restaurants. The problem was if you were not there at the earliest time, they all filled up and we were never able to book a reservation. However, the resort was not that full, so we were able to walk in and get seated, but we never knew. I have no idea why they haven't developed the ability to book these things in advance online along with your hotel. This is a strong recommendation I have for the hotel front desk.

We had perfect weather the entire week. Sunny skies, nice breeze, not a drop of rain. It is very humid, so be prepared and stay hydrated! I've read complaints of mosquitos and we only experienced them one night on the train from one resort to another. They were big, and we did meet people with huge bites on arms and legs, but they never bothered us.

The beach is beautiful, plenty of shaded areas, and the 3 canopied areas next to the beach bar are very comfortable with table and chairs.....and Myra, the best waitress ever!
Salt water pool is fun, although somewhat of a walk, but beautiful and quiet. Went to the show there one night, it was fun dancing and they do a fire act which was ok. There are paddle boats, kayaks, catamarans all available for your use.

Overall we had a great time, loved the resort, and would return again. It is a beautiful place with excellent service, lovely staff, which gave us a very relaxing time with friends. Tons of pools, swim up bars, and don't miss the pools at the Spa.

Great place to get away and relax!

Room Tip: Building 57 close to the beach and the air conditioner was GREAT! Very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Celia B, Directora Adjunta / Assistant Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Hello travelquest7,

Thank you for taking the time to share highlights of your vacation experiences with us.
We are delighted you enjoyed our breakfast buffets as well as the variety of choices offered.
The speciality restaurants except for the Punta Emilia (Seafood) do not require reservations as they are all first come first serve. Unfortunately there seemed to have been some misunderstanding regarding our reservations policy.
We will definitely inform Myra of your gracious comments regarding her service.
Nevertheless, we are very happy you had a GRAND vacation with us at the resort.
We look forward to hosting you once more at our resort.
See you soon!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Please read if you have booked with Thomson or First choice!!
Hello all, I would like to express my first experience 29/05 - 13/06, then I will move on. We booked through First choice and paid extra to be located in white sands.........Advertised "White sands & Riviera"!
When we landed and collected our luggage there are lots of men in the airport offering to take you to your luggage!! Do not agree, carry on walking till your outside the airport, you see Thomson, otherwise they will expect a tip for handling your luggage.
We arrived at Riviera check-in to be disappointed our requests were not granted as we are returning Palladium customers (First time Mexico) and also not located in White Sands!!!! We were located in Riviera.
I paid extra but they did not care.
After speaking with management he informed me First Choice and Thomson do not have the contract to advertise White Sands.
White Sands and Riviera are priced the same other than Colonial which is cheaper to stay in.
So don’t expect to be located in White Sands. Riviera is the same, same room size just location is further.
We spend 3 hours with this debate and I showed him my confirmation booking which clearly states White Sands, he still stated they were not allowed to advertise White Sands!!!!
He then changed our location from villa 66 and located us in Villa 60 ground floor with king size bed and separate bathroom with large jet bath with beauitful River View. This was close to the beautiful beach and salt water pool which was fantastic with lots of fish, and across from the main large pool
We had three pillows, one was rock hard and the other two were soft. I think they forgot to remove these two luxury soft pillows from the previous occupant who must had paid extra for upgrading them, Lucky us!
The buffet breakfast is great no complaints, à la carte restaurants: the Brazilian and steak house was the best. Others were not that great!
We timed the distance walking from Colonial to Riviera and it took 11 minutes to walk. Can take 30 min to car cart or wait for train. Use a map so much easier.
Yes it is a large resort however it’s beautiful.
We booked Excursions: xcaret and Contoy Island. WOW loved them both. Contoy was out of this world and xcaret was amazing, soo many things to see and we swim in the caves.
We jumped onto a collectivo and went to Akumal beach and swam with the large Turtles which were amazing.
We had 3 days of rain due to Angela storm that hit Mexico however this did not impact or stop our holiday as we were there for 14 days.
I loved the grounds and the whole resort, lots of Iguanas outside our villa which I loved watching.
The River is kept clean with beautiful fish you can feed with pellets they provide.
The Spa is amazing. It’s free apart from treatments.
Beach is beautiful, take water shoes very handy as there can be alot of rocks. perfect for snorkeling at the Riviera side as there are beautiful fish at this end.
The staff can be polite; we received Towel Art without tipping which was great too, our mini bar was stocked daily and our rooms were cleaned nicely.

(Thomson and First choice will be hearing from me)

We had a lovely time here and loved every minute of it, this place touched my heart.
Loved this resort and will return in the near future.

Room Tip: Villa 60 in Riviera is close to main pool and salt water pool and beach access.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We travelled as a family of 4 for 2 weeks June 2-16. With two kids aged 2-4. This resort is absolutely beautiful, carved out of the jungle, gorgeous walkways through the mangroves, marble and fountains everywhere and amazing wildlife. In fact it's hard to walk 50' especially in the daytime without coming across an iguana (or dinosaur as my 2yr old calls them) or koi fish within the lobby complex or lagoon. The rooms are also good sized junior suites- well designed (some people may have issues with the frosted glass door on the toilet- especially as it has fairly large gaps at the top/bottom and sides) the couch in our room was a little tired and dirty (wasnt that bad as we didn't notice until about 10 days in) and the tv is of course an old tube style with poor reception and would intermittently lose signal as often happens in this area.
The food in the buffet was reasonably good quality. Similar to other resorts I have been to, but despite its large size it really didn't have a large selection of food. Lots of different meat choices but very few sides if you didn't like fries or boiled potatoes or rice. There would be large sections of the buffet (30' or so of beautiful granite) that might really only have 2-4 dishes on it. Salad bar choices were poor in my opinion with lots of thing you could add to basic salad but very few things that people actually would (making me wonder how many days these things would be put out before they were tossed) desert choices were good and in fact one night there was a peanut butter/chocolate cream profitteral that I almost asked to marry me- it was amazing. So despite being the usual reasonably good quality that you would expect from a resort of this calibre the choices were (in our opinion- and we really aren't picky) slim enough that it very quickly became boring and repetitive. The food in every ala carte that we ate at (and we ate at most and portofino and sumptori twice) was good quality and far better that the buffets. There is a dress code in the ala cartes- long pants for men- and that's it. I have absolutely no issue with that- but some women were wearing basically poolwear and I saw 2 men wearing training pants- you know the type,Adidas with 3 stripes all the way down the pant leg- and many men wearing jeans. I sort of think that this defeats the purpose of a dress code but I can understand that it's hard for the resort to enforce and guests will take every advantage they can.
The beach is fantastic for sunbathing or walking on (the northern end being less crowded) there are always chairs available (just maybe not the perfect chair in perfect location) there is the odd rock or piece of coral on most of the exposed beach. There are only two small swimming areas- directly in front of colonial pool area and near the north end of beach. The rest of beach has rock or coral either right at the shoreline or about 20' out. Make sure you shuffle your feet as I saw a woman stung by a ray and it did not look like fun. The swimming area in front of the colonial pool can get very crowded but still room enough to swim around. The white sands pool (at least while we were there) is much quieter than the colonial pool and in my opinion far better for hanging out. It still has entertainment activities all day If that's your thing. The pools are very large and very nice except by the end of the day they get (in my opinion-and again I'm not picky) pretty filthy. Especially anywhere in the pool bar section. Straw wrappers etc floating and cups sunken to the bottom. The wind blows everything in that direction anyways plus some guests can be,shall we say, disrespectful of their fellow guests. There was a young guy wiping down the tiles at the edge of the pool most of the day (an example of how clean they try to keep this place) so I'm not sure why this area couldn't be skimmed once or twice a day. It would make a huge difference- it was bad enough my kids wouldnt go there in the afternoons. The bars were bars- nothing bad (except maybe the constant mess at pool bar) and nothing great. The salt water pool bar and WS lobby bar were the best in my opinion. They were usually quieter and had better service
So why wouldn't we return? Two main reasons. The first is despite the fact that if it was just the 2 of us the size and layout of the resort wouldn't be an issue. With 2 small children it just gets to be too much to have to climb a 15 step bridge 5-6 times/day as they can't really be avoided without walking way around (and hauling a stroller up and down them makes a stroller pretty much useless too) and what the maps don't show about the lobby complexes is that there are no (or very few) direct routes between places. Eg to go to the buffet or theatre you have to zig zag your way around the perimeter of the very large lobby. Again not a problem at all for two adults but try dragging a tired 2 year old that wants to stop and look at every fish and you will soon be done with it. The resort itself while large is not so big it's not walkable- my 4 yr old walked to the furthest corners but the indirect routes around the lobbies became tiresome with our youngest (and again due to the bridges a stroller really wasn't worth the trouble) thank god we are experienced with beach vacations with our young ones and never forgot anything because running back to the room would have been very frustrating.
The second reason was the service. I want to be fair and say we never once received bad service but the resort is so big and the workers serve so many guests that we just never really received the outstanding service that we have received at many other resorts. We usually leave a resort knowing many of the workers names and are greeted by name throughout our stay. And that just didn't happen here and it really made a difference for us. It's just part of the experience we have come to expect. That being said there is a young fellow in the Kabah buffet named Adrian who was excellent (not just with us but with everyone I saw him serve) and will likely be running that place soon if they know what they are doing.
So if you want a big resort with decent to good food and lots of amenities and carting yourself or kids around and outstanding service isn't important to you then this will be a fine place for you. This was the first mega- resort we have tried and it just isn't for us.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank Vanfan68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#69 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!