“Excellent Stay at the White Sands”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pickering, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent Stay at the White Sands”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the White Sands Palladium last week.

Food, accommodation and on site amenities were all excellent.

Recommend to spend the extra money to enable visits to all of the a la carte restaurants on the property.

Even though the beach was too windy for swimming and snorkeling, there are many fine opportunities in the vicinity -- Alkumel for example.

Local trips are very do-able on your own because the location is safe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vince M
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Vine M,
Thank you for your review, please visit us soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I travelled to Mayan Riviera Feb 24 - March 3, 2013. I won our trip through a local radio contest and when I heard it was at a Grand Palladium resort, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. We have stayed at the Grand Palladium in Punta Cana and enjoyed our stay very much, so we knew what to expect.
Check-in went well. Our room was nice ( we stayed at 5312 ) corner suite. The buffet was what we expected, the same type of food but something for everyone. We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the A la Carte restaurants ( we preferred the Steak House, but enjoyed the Ribs & More and the Japanese just as much).
We booked two excursions; Coba Maya Encounter where we explored the Maya ruins,walked through the jungle, went canoeing in the lagoon, rappelled down a cenote and went zip lining. We also enjoyed a lunch prepared by a local family. Our second excursion was at Xel-ha Natural Wonder; went snorkeling down a lazy river which was nice but we were disappointed that we did not see alot of fish. I would recommend Xcaret if you want to see more marine life. We did however enjoy taking a nap at Xel-ha as they had secluded areas with hammocks.
I enjoyed a massage at the Spa, highly recommend this and you can use the baths at no charge. They also have a beautiful secluded pool.
If there was one thing I would complain about is I had to pay $22.00 for a feather pillow. The pillows they offer you in the rooms are the most uncomfortable pillows. When I inquired about obtaining a different pillow, I was given a pillow menu where I could choose different types of pillows for $3.00 a day charge! I could not believe that the Resort would take advantage of their guests and charge to have a good night sleep!
Although my husband and will most likely not return to Mexico, we would most likely choose a Grand Palladium Resort whenever possible.

4 Thank Julie O
Dear Julie O,
I'm happy that you had a great stay with us. It will be a pleasure to see you next year.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We travelled to Mexico and stayed at the Grand Palladium White Sands resort from February 11th - 18th. It was our first time in Mexico and at the Grand Palladium. Previously we have stayed at the Gran Bahia chain in Punta Cana and Jamaica.
Wow, the wild life makes it seem like I am somewhere tropical, besides the weather.
The rooms were clean.
The staff friendly, and the food very good.
But! And this is what the lower rating comes down to. The upkeep of property...lounge chairs broken and discarded into bushes at the adult pool area. Washrooms were lacking necessities such as toilet paper and seats! Important especially for a woman who sits for all occasions.
The beach area...this is a big factor for anyone who is planning on swimming in the ocean. It smelled so bad, like sewer and bird poop. The beach is very rocky so if there is any wind at all, it is dangerous to go in. The few areas that were relatively rock free had so many people clumped together that it was hard to just swim and have fun. Spent most of our time at the pool area if we could find seats that weren't broken.
The pools had a lot of debris in them, not encouraging to go in.
I would definitely go back to Mexico but not to thenPalladium :-(

10 Thank Dawn W
Dear Dawn, W,
I'm sorry you had a bad experience during your vacation. One of the things we receive most of the good reviews is that the Hotel is clean and kept well. I'll take note of the points you mention and you can be sure we will reinforce those.
It will be nice to have a secong opportunity if you decide to visit Mexico next year.

Brandon, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

After reading reviews here I was a bit nervous because people either loved it or hated it! We had a late check in so no delay in getting checked in. We were told we had been upgraded to the Riviera Suites, had been warned about this happening and it wasn't good.(made me even more nervous as I was the one who booked this resort for everyone) When we got to our rooms we were very surprised they were great! It was clean and huge, we apparently got the Governors Suits! The next day toured the place on our own and were very pleased with the whole resort. It was quit relaxing and clean.
The food was a bit of a disappointment on our first dinner reservation. But it went uphill from there. The meals seem to get better.The staff were great we had quit a few laughs with them.
The only thing I would say is negative about this resort is the inconsistencies. For it having the high star rating it has it is very inconstant. I know this sounds petty but beds not always turned down, coffee not left in the room, dirty dishes not taken away, these things didn't happen every day but there was always one or another happening. Also the fridge did not keep drinks cold.
The beach, yes, there are rocks but we just wore our water shoes and were fine the water was beautiful well worth the rocks!
Would I go back probably not but I wouldn't discourage people from going either. Overall it is a nice resort.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend you upgrade to have reservations as there are sometimes up to 2 hours of a wai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rosa H
Dear Rosa H,
Thank you for coming to our Resort, I appreciate your good comments and I hope you visit us soon.

Maywood, New Jersey
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went there with my girlfriend and my family. We enjoyed this place from arrival to departure. Check-in was a breeze, welcomed by a smiling young lady. We were early and had to wait till 3pm for our room so we were directed towards the buffet to have lunch. After lunch we were ready for our rooms and a very friendly young man who drives the shuttles helped us with our luggage and drove us to our individual rooms. The service was fantastic, food was wonderful something for everyone. The buffet was always fresh, the a la carte restaurants were fantastic, we tried all of them. The grounds are very clean and the guys are always cleaning.The size of this resort did not bother us at all, we loved the walk. The pools very nice a lot of entertainment going on. The beach was gorgeous. Other then the view from the salt water pool, was not a big fan of it. One suggestion to this resort, stop watering down your alcohol. Overall we enjoyed this resort, and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank FlyinCUN
Dear FlyinCUN,
Thank you for your review, I'm happy you liked our resort.
Just one thing, we don't water any alcohol. We have sort of choice of national and international drinks and we even have Premium alcohol in some of our bars. You can ask any of our waiters if you prefer your drink "double" or with less alcohol but you can be sure we don't manipulate or water any of our drinks.
Sometimes people keep the same drink for a long time and the ice melts (the caribbean weather helps with that...)

Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We visited the resort 2/24 - 3/1, 2013. Our children are both 12 years old. Overall, it was a fantastic resort for our family.
- We were in Villa 57 - a perfect location. We were right between the pool and ocean. I highly recommend asking for this location. The resort is HUGE. If you aren't in a good location, be ready to walk, walk, walk. They have staff driving golf carts and they will take you from place to place. However, you can't always find one.
- The buffet was average. A really large selection. I don't recommend going when it first opens as most of the hot food was cold. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day at the buffet. The made to order omelets were fantastic. Don't forget to tip a buck or two here and there. They really appreciate it.
- We ate at the Japanese, Chinese and Italian restaurants. The first two were WONDERFUL. After waiting an hour after ordering our food, we walked out of the Italian restaurant. The service was horrible and drunk people were stumbling all over the place.
- The main pool was fantastic. It isn't deep and the kids could swim all over without us worrying about them. There was no problem finding loungers.
- My kids loved feeding the fish every day, seeing the alligators and taking the boat ride around the resort.
- The beach was great. Rocky at one end and really smooth at the other. We found lots of coral. Beware of jellyfish and sting rays. We weren't warned about this until our second to last day. We didn't see any though.
- The beach restaurant was great for snacks. We loved the jalapeno poppers. There were weddings going on almost every day and were fun to watch from a distance. PARENTS - some guests have no problem sunbathing topless. Actually, one woman was literally posing for an hour topless while were sig other took pictures.
- Lots of guests smoked. This was annoying.
- The rooms were average. The bathroom was a lot better than the sleeping area. The floors were never mopped and were really dirty. We left tips at the beginning but it didn't get us anywhere so we stopped.
- We did an excursion with Lomas (sp). They were in the lobby. A terrible experience. The trip they recommended was not age appropriate for our kids. Nobody had a good time.
- The resort is 1 hour from the airport and 1 hour from shopping. A good location.

Overall, a really nice trip with few exceptions. Don't stay here if you hate to walk. However, stay here if you like variety. You certainly won't get bored. The staff were very friendly and anxious to provide excellent customer service.

Room Tip: Villa 57!!!! Don't leave any food in the room. Ants will be everywhere. There is a fridge in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank JSW4132
Dear JSW4132,
Thank you for your review, it is nice to see that you had a good experience in our Resort. I also liked the picture of our Cocodrile "Marcos", he lives in the Riviera Lobby section, I recommend to visit him.

Nova Scotia
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was our fifth visit to the Mayan Riviera but our first to the Palladium. We obviously love the location but I was a little nervous about staying at such a large resort as we both prefer smaller resorts that we find a bit more intimate. At White Sands we found exactly what we were looking for. We spent most of our time at the White Sands pool where we enjoyed the music and entertainment provided by the entertainment team. The pool was beautiful and really big allowing you plenty of room to swim. There was never a large line up for drinks at the swim up bar and we could always find chairs at any point of the day. No towel game here! We checked out the Colonial pool too and found it much busier which can be good or bad depending on your tastes. The beach was lovely although we had high winds which prevented us from using the water sports as we had hoped. The only day we actually got snorkelling was the last day of our trip and found the snorkling to be very good, saw large schools of fish. We ate at the buffet at White Sands and Colonial as well as 4 of the a la cartes. Favourite was the Japanese, least favourite was Ribs and More. Most of the time we just walked right in, only had to wait at the Japanese restaurant. They just gave us a beeper and we went and had drinks in the bar. We found the servers at the White Sands to be extremely friendly and helpful. It wasn't that they were less friendly on the Colonial side, just that it was so busy they did not have time to stop and chat like the others did. We went to at least one show per night and enjoyed them all. I can't believe how hard these people work! The resort was always clean and folks cleaning around the clock. Room was very nice and maid service was great. I had an issue with the pillows and the maid actually came to check on me the next day to see if I was happy with the new pillow she brought me.
TIPS
Drinks at the lobby bars and the restaurants, in our opinion, were better than drinks at the pool.
Try speaking to your waiter or server and you will find you meet many new friends who are eager to hear about you and your country.
Our room was perfectly located - villa 57. Just steps from the pool and beach.
Figure out the shortcuts as soon as you can, will save lots of walking.
Check out the spa, it was really nice and you don't have to have a treatment to use the pool or gym. Although the treatment was really nice!
If you want to take the collectivo, walk to the Colonial lobby as it is closer to the road and an easy walk from there.
Check out the White Party, one of the evening activities. We had a blast! Danced under a full moon on the beach until we literally dropped.

Overall impression - what made this place stand out was the people. We had many great conversations with bartenders, maids, front desk, etc. The entertainmnet staff were wonderful, left feeling like we had made friends. Everyone takes pride in their jobs and seem happy to be there. This is the first time I have ever said, this is one place I would return to again. ( I usually never repeat hotels as there are so many to try). Go and enjoy, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Villa 56 or 57 was close to both pool and beach.
12 Thank FRENCHENGLISH
Antonio P, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear FRENCHENGLISH,
Thank you for your review, I totally agree with your recommendation to visit the spa and why not pamper yourself with a massage.
Please come back soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,990 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!