We loved many things about this resort. Americans were in the minority here which was a very nice cultural change. We met people from all over the world, it was a very cool experience! While our Spanish is very minimal at best, we were able to get around as most people knew limited working English. I won't say communication was a breeze, but it certainly wasn't futile.
The property: is a bit older but they keep it looking wonderful. Seriously, these people are hard workers and they spend 24-7 keeping this place clean and looking gorgeous. A lot of wild life, and at night we were able to get close-up to them, though if this idea scares you just keep walking and they won't bother you at all. Getting around was easier with the royal cart, and it was worth the price of the upgrade for this alone. Generally a ride took between 5-10 minutes on average to arrive.
Service- With a smile always! Excellent! Sometimes there was difficulty in translation so knowing some Spanish would be helpful. We knew very little, but what we did know came in handy.
The Room: I was beyond impressed with our Royal Junior Suite 3rd floor - we had 7133 and it was perfect! (no elevator so if you're handicapped or have trouble with minimal stairs request elsewhere).The room has been recently renovated and has marble floors- it is quite large. Two minor details, the pillows are a bit hard but you can request new ones that are sufficient for free using their pillow menu The bathroom door does not reach the floor...so things...echo. Anyway, we were able to get past this because it was immaculate. We explained it was an anniversary with our tour company (Apple Vacations) as well as sent an email to the hotel, and were greeted one evening with rose petals, candles , champagne, and a drawn jacuzzi bath. It was above and beyond! They catered to our every need and definitely did a great job.
Bars: Many of the tropical beverages were too sweet for me ( I am sensitive to sugar). Some bars use real fruit, others syrup. We found the best bar to be in the Royal Lobby (Philly was awesome!) and he was able to whip us up the best mojitos (I just ask for very little sugar). The quality of the drinks was excellent. I honestly had no complaints in this department, they really tried to prepare drinks that suited my low sweet needs (I recommend the mono sucio, and bananamama for less-sweet frozen options).
Food: This is the only thing that might keep me from returning. To be fair I am particular about food, though I've gone on several cruises and have been able to find at least something I like. The food here was bland and lacked quality, I found a rock (yes you read that correctly) in my grilled mushrooms, steaks were never cooked correctly, 99% of the time meat was way overcooked, food temps were off. The quality was not consistent. I honestly can't recommend any of the restaurants but I often took their guacamole (which was tasty) and added some fresh lime and stuck to the mexican options when at the buffet.
The Beaches- Stunning, soft sand- clear waters. If you're royal go to the private beach
Entertainment- They had some great musicians but the one show we saw was pretty lackluster so we stuck to ourselves and the beautiful surroundings for entertainment.
Spa- My boyfriend got his haircut but other than that service we stuck to the whirlpools and hydrotherapy areas which were very nice and relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium White Sand are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa (excluding the Royal Suite facilities). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Palladium Hotel Group, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium White Sand Hotel Akumal
- Palladium White Sands
- Grand Palladium White Sands Resort
- Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico