“American View- Stayed October 19th-26th”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We loved many things about this resort. Americans were in the minority here which was a very nice cultural change. We met people from all over the world, it was a very cool experience! While our Spanish is very minimal at best, we were able to get around as most people knew limited working English. I won't say communication was a breeze, but it certainly wasn't futile.

The property: is a bit older but they keep it looking wonderful. Seriously, these people are hard workers and they spend 24-7 keeping this place clean and looking gorgeous. A lot of wild life, and at night we were able to get close-up to them, though if this idea scares you just keep walking and they won't bother you at all. Getting around was easier with the royal cart, and it was worth the price of the upgrade for this alone. Generally a ride took between 5-10 minutes on average to arrive.

Service- With a smile always! Excellent! Sometimes there was difficulty in translation so knowing some Spanish would be helpful. We knew very little, but what we did know came in handy.

The Room: I was beyond impressed with our Royal Junior Suite 3rd floor - we had 7133 and it was perfect! (no elevator so if you're handicapped or have trouble with minimal stairs request elsewhere).The room has been recently renovated and has marble floors- it is quite large. Two minor details, the pillows are a bit hard but you can request new ones that are sufficient for free using their pillow menu The bathroom door does not reach the floor...so things...echo. Anyway, we were able to get past this because it was immaculate. We explained it was an anniversary with our tour company (Apple Vacations) as well as sent an email to the hotel, and were greeted one evening with rose petals, candles , champagne, and a drawn jacuzzi bath. It was above and beyond! They catered to our every need and definitely did a great job.

Bars: Many of the tropical beverages were too sweet for me ( I am sensitive to sugar). Some bars use real fruit, others syrup. We found the best bar to be in the Royal Lobby (Philly was awesome!) and he was able to whip us up the best mojitos (I just ask for very little sugar). The quality of the drinks was excellent. I honestly had no complaints in this department, they really tried to prepare drinks that suited my low sweet needs (I recommend the mono sucio, and bananamama for less-sweet frozen options).

Food: This is the only thing that might keep me from returning. To be fair I am particular about food, though I've gone on several cruises and have been able to find at least something I like. The food here was bland and lacked quality, I found a rock (yes you read that correctly) in my grilled mushrooms, steaks were never cooked correctly, 99% of the time meat was way overcooked, food temps were off. The quality was not consistent. I honestly can't recommend any of the restaurants but I often took their guacamole (which was tasty) and added some fresh lime and stuck to the mexican options when at the buffet.

The Beaches- Stunning, soft sand- clear waters. If you're royal go to the private beach

Entertainment- They had some great musicians but the one show we saw was pretty lackluster so we stuck to ourselves and the beautiful surroundings for entertainment.

Spa- My boyfriend got his haircut but other than that service we stuck to the whirlpools and hydrotherapy areas which were very nice and relaxing.

Room Tip: Stay in the Jr. Royal Suites. 3rd floor was nice, no elevator but honestly it was not a bad set of s...
3  Thank Sehausle
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Sehausle,
Thank you for your time to write your review. It's good to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us.
I'm sorry that you didn't like our buffets and a la carte restaurants. We usually receive good comments about our food and restaurants and you can be sure that feedbacks like yours, will help us our Chefs.

I hope you visit us in a near future.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Write a ReviewReviews (2,950)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Visited this resort October 20th to 27th with my mother, sister and a friend. We all loved this resort. The resort is large and we took advantage of the trollies and the train to get around.

Food: Good. Many restaurants to choose from. You do not have to pre-book most of the a la cartes and can just go there that night and see if there is availability.

Rooms: Beautiful, large and very clean. Some complain that the pillows and bed are hard but I found them really comfortable and slept better than at home.

Beach: Nice beach. Nicest in front of the Kentanah. My only complaint is that the bathrooms in that area are reserved for the people in the Royal Suites and even if no one is using them you are not allowed to use them.... it’s a long walk to the Colonial to use the washroom.

Pools: Really nice and we tried them all. The pool at the Colonial is deep which is a nice change from most resorts. Very nice adult pool at the Riviera. The Secret Pool at the Colonial is nice and quiet. The Sea Pool was and excellent spot for my sister to try Snorkelling for the first time. Did not have to play the chair game at this resort which was wonderful. Plenty of chairs to choose from and we moved around a lot.

Took advantage of our free visit to the spa to use the sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and the lazy river. Also tried the Seguay Tour around the resort which was really fun. Off the resort we took a taxi to Playa Del Carmen one evening to do our shopping. Also did the Underwater Adventure tour which included snorkelling with the Turtles in Akumel Bay and also snorkelling in a Cenote (really enjoyed this excursion).

The people that work at this resort are very pleasant and friendly and seem to really enjoy working here. I would definitely recommend this resort!

Tips:
Study the map before you go as there are shortcuts you can take to get around. Do the Seguay Tour right at the start of your trip as it’s a great way to tour the resort and see where everything is. If you plan to visit Playa Del Carmen go later in the evening when it isn’t so warm….also the street performers are there at night and are great to see.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank CA64

Hello CA64,
Thank you for your review, I just would like to say that the bathrooms in the kantenah beach are not for people in Royal and anybody can use them. I'm sorry you were not given a good information regarding this.
Please visit us soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I spent 12 days at the riviera Oct 8 to 20, 2012 and as returning 3 consecutive years we have no negative things to say about this resort. staff is great always smiling and there ready to help you.The resort is vast but everything is accesible by walking,trolly,train or pontoon. The property is very well maintained, there is always staff cleaning the premises.That you eat at the buffet or at the a la carte restaurants the food is excellent. We will definetly return again.The hotels best asset is the staff. We wish to express special thanks to Pedro and Santiago the bell boys at the Riviera lobby for all their help and assistance.

8  Thank mario m
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear mario m,
Thank you for your time and your good comments. You can be sure I will extend your compliments to Pedro and Santiago.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I with another couple were there for 1 week from Oct 14 to 21, 2012
I must say that i do not have any negative to say about this resort and who does should not be travelling.
It was terrifc from check-in to check-out, we were in Imperial Junior Suite and they immediately
upgraded us to ocean view wooooow what a way to begin your vacation.
The room was big, clean, comfortable, mini bar restocked daily, turn down service everthing was to our expectations and more form A to Z.
The beach is great but a little rocky but no big deal! and the food is excellent from the buffet to the a la carte restaurants.
The complex is very huge because there are 4 Grand Palladium resorts in one, but there are plenty of trollies to take you around whereever.
The last but not the least very friendley people from the lobby, pools, bars, beach you name it
it is the very best place and we travel 2 times a year and have been around.

7  Thank Diret

Dear Diret,
Thank you for your good comments. It is nice to hear that you loved all our services.
Please come back soon.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel has hard working people who try hard. They might not pick up your request first time, but you are on holiday. I have travelled to this resort and even joined the travel club. I am an executive chef and perhaps the fussiest hotel guest and stayed all over the world. The reason I come here once a year (even brought my sister in law) is the pride the team members put into this resort. It is lovely the ground are great and you can nit-pick but it is good food and if you want it warmer food ask (politely)
I have seen Americans after their six plate of assorted breakfast good send back an item and be miffed , your choice. If you focus on the one day of rain in your holiday don’t go , but it is a lovely paradise sitting on the beach watching the sun rise ( jet lag ) and ask the guy on the beach walking up and down looking after the baby turtle can you release one and he will let you.
Top tip bring water shoes in five trips seen two people on average with cut feet on coral at bottom end of beach (royal suite end)
Dont be put off by the neg comments
As a brit Go to the Hemmingway bar feel the fun, chill and enjoy. I am out again at the end of october.
Hard to beat for value
email me

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
21  Thank johnt652
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear johnt652,
I would like to thank you for your words and I agree with you that our customers worries have to be if they would prefer to go to the beach or to the swimming pool. We work hard in order to provide the best service and we always will be happy to help if there is something that is not ok during their stay.
Thanks again and we wait for you in October.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My huge disappointment happened in first hour and on second day, when administrators tried to sell me "premium services". They said it's just a presentation with a breakfast and I'll get a $100 for participation, but before we proceed and after completed annoyed paperwork, I asked a person, who was already third in third interview (!) why they asked again and again to show my credit card, when surprisingly 4-th person, who gave me a ride to that interviews, pushed me to bring my credit card with me: "We need just last for digits for security reason"... So I refused to show my card to rigid and enormously rude, contemptuous lady in black with walkies-talkie, who said if my English is with accent, I could misunderstand "something important". So what it is? -- Finally, I found out it's contract to service etc. -- Right after that I canceled this "wonderful presentation" and felt discriminated.
The rest was good, I mean resort, meal, sea, room service. But my vacation was poisoned with described incident and I am trying to be unbiased when rate. It's shame for me, but I realized I didn't find a pool with sea-water, probably because of very tangled map of resort, but I like the beach a most. The discomfort is no waiters near water, when you should go to the bar and return to your beach lounger with busy hands. Personnel in bars and restaurants were nice, but some workers in buffets not so polite or just don't understand any English, not only mine "with accent".

5  Thank filin7

Dear filin7,
I'm sorry for any incident you may have with the Palladium Travel Club. They offer very interesting rates for members and we have many good comments about their services. I will let them know about your comment.
Regarding the rest of your stay I appreciate that you didn't let this issue to affect your perception of the rest of our services.
We do have a salt water pool. It really is gorgeous so here is a good reason to visit us again and see it (highly reccommended between building 63-64 in Riviera you will find it.

Thank you for your comments and I hope you visit us soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We traveled the week of Sept. 20 through 29th. The weather unfortunately did not play well with us as the first 5 days were either cloudy/rainy or stormy, both day and night. However the resort offered activities (indoors) as much as possible but clearly needs to review those "rainy day" plans and perhaps revise/update activities.
When the weather finally cooperated-the pools, beach, outdoor snacks bars and activities were very good. I particularly liked the SPA.
As for the indoor bars-only one bar allowed cigar smoking although one could smoke anywhere outdoors.
The sports bar, with the many screens, should allow more than soccer games. Depending on the season, there should be other sports televised so that everyone (whether from Europe or the US) could enjoy their favorite past time.
As for the food: restaurants were great. The banquet rooms, have many options to eat however 2 observations.
1. Morning coffee should be piping hot. It is served from thermals which really cannot maintain the fresh brewed hot temperatures. Also the milk pored should be hot/warm in order to maintain the right coffee temperature. (Note: when ordering expressos/cappuccinos- they are made fresh and always hot)
Suggestion: Perhaps there should be a coffee station where one can retrieve freshly brewed
coffee. Hot milk can be placed on the side.
2. The heating trays where food is placed in the banquet rooms: there is NOT sufficient heat applied to maintain the cooked food. The food is usually , at best, room temperatures or at worse COLD. (Note: Fresh custom cooked food was always made well and hot).
Suggestion: UPGRADE the hot food trays to maintain the correct temperature for the
cooked food.

Overall I enjoyed the resort and hope to one day return. Hopefully some of the suggestions are taken into account.

Room Tip: If possible request a suite (not junior suite) with an ocean (beach) view. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LatinNYWill

Dear LatinNYWill,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry the weather conditions were not as good as expected but I see you found activities to do during your stay.
When the rain comes I always reccommend to relax in the spa and why not you can take a massage...
I take note of your comments regarding our buffets and I hope you visit us soon.