“Brit view”

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel has hard working people who try hard. They might not pick up your request first time, but you are on holiday. I have travelled to this resort and even joined the travel club. I am an executive chef and perhaps the fussiest hotel guest and stayed all over the world. The reason I come here once a year (even brought my sister in law) is the pride the team members put into this resort. It is lovely the ground are great and you can nit-pick but it is good food and if you want it warmer food ask (politely)
I have seen Americans after their six plate of assorted breakfast good send back an item and be miffed , your choice. If you focus on the one day of rain in your holiday don’t go , but it is a lovely paradise sitting on the beach watching the sun rise ( jet lag ) and ask the guy on the beach walking up and down looking after the baby turtle can you release one and he will let you.
Top tip bring water shoes in five trips seen two people on average with cut feet on coral at bottom end of beach (royal suite end)
Dont be put off by the neg comments
As a brit Go to the Hemmingway bar feel the fun, chill and enjoy. I am out again at the end of october.
Hard to beat for value
email me

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
21  Thank johnt652
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear johnt652,
I would like to thank you for your words and I agree with you that our customers worries have to be if they would prefer to go to the beach or to the swimming pool. We work hard in order to provide the best service and we always will be happy to help if there is something that is not ok during their stay.
Thanks again and we wait for you in October.

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My huge disappointment happened in first hour and on second day, when administrators tried to sell me "premium services". They said it's just a presentation with a breakfast and I'll get a $100 for participation, but before we proceed and after completed annoyed paperwork, I asked a person, who was already third in third interview (!) why they asked again and again to show my credit card, when surprisingly 4-th person, who gave me a ride to that interviews, pushed me to bring my credit card with me: "We need just last for digits for security reason"... So I refused to show my card to rigid and enormously rude, contemptuous lady in black with walkies-talkie, who said if my English is with accent, I could misunderstand "something important". So what it is? -- Finally, I found out it's contract to service etc. -- Right after that I canceled this "wonderful presentation" and felt discriminated.
The rest was good, I mean resort, meal, sea, room service. But my vacation was poisoned with described incident and I am trying to be unbiased when rate. It's shame for me, but I realized I didn't find a pool with sea-water, probably because of very tangled map of resort, but I like the beach a most. The discomfort is no waiters near water, when you should go to the bar and return to your beach lounger with busy hands. Personnel in bars and restaurants were nice, but some workers in buffets not so polite or just don't understand any English, not only mine "with accent".

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank filin7

Dear filin7,
I'm sorry for any incident you may have with the Palladium Travel Club. They offer very interesting rates for members and we have many good comments about their services. I will let them know about your comment.
Regarding the rest of your stay I appreciate that you didn't let this issue to affect your perception of the rest of our services.
We do have a salt water pool. It really is gorgeous so here is a good reason to visit us again and see it (highly reccommended between building 63-64 in Riviera you will find it.

Thank you for your comments and I hope you visit us soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We traveled the week of Sept. 20 through 29th. The weather unfortunately did not play well with us as the first 5 days were either cloudy/rainy or stormy, both day and night. However the resort offered activities (indoors) as much as possible but clearly needs to review those "rainy day" plans and perhaps revise/update activities.
When the weather finally cooperated-the pools, beach, outdoor snacks bars and activities were very good. I particularly liked the SPA.
As for the indoor bars-only one bar allowed cigar smoking although one could smoke anywhere outdoors.
The sports bar, with the many screens, should allow more than soccer games. Depending on the season, there should be other sports televised so that everyone (whether from Europe or the US) could enjoy their favorite past time.
As for the food: restaurants were great. The banquet rooms, have many options to eat however 2 observations.
1. Morning coffee should be piping hot. It is served from thermals which really cannot maintain the fresh brewed hot temperatures. Also the milk pored should be hot/warm in order to maintain the right coffee temperature. (Note: when ordering expressos/cappuccinos- they are made fresh and always hot)
Suggestion: Perhaps there should be a coffee station where one can retrieve freshly brewed
coffee. Hot milk can be placed on the side.
2. The heating trays where food is placed in the banquet rooms: there is NOT sufficient heat applied to maintain the cooked food. The food is usually , at best, room temperatures or at worse COLD. (Note: Fresh custom cooked food was always made well and hot).
Suggestion: UPGRADE the hot food trays to maintain the correct temperature for the
cooked food.

Overall I enjoyed the resort and hope to one day return. Hopefully some of the suggestions are taken into account.

Room Tip: If possible request a suite (not junior suite) with an ocean (beach) view. Well worth it.
2  Thank LatinNYWill

Dear LatinNYWill,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry the weather conditions were not as good as expected but I see you found activities to do during your stay.
When the rain comes I always reccommend to relax in the spa and why not you can take a massage...
I take note of your comments regarding our buffets and I hope you visit us soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We just got back from our vacation at the White Sands. This property is spectacular. We stayed in a Junior Imperial Suite and they took great care of us. We called once because our remote control wasn't working. We had a new one within 5 minutes and a follow-up call immediately upon receipt. This was to be a relaxing holiday with my mother and sister and it was just that. There was a lot of walking which we thought might be a problem for my mother and sister who was recovering from a broken foot, but it was certainly manageable. The train and room shuttle were hardly every required. The down side of this holiday was the weather. We had 4 days with rain, but made the most of it. The las vew days were beautiful weather. The staff is friendly and helpful even with language barrier. I would go back in a heartbeat and hightly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 57 on the top floor. The temperature was comfortable and the only complaint was...
10  Thank Cori S

Dear Cori S,

Thank you for your good comments and we hope you come back very soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We just recently returned from our week-long stay at the Grand Palladium Riviera Maya Resort. We upgraded to "Royal" Members (highly recommended, very worth it for the price!!!) and so we stayed at the Royal Suites Yucatan. I will try to break down our stay:

Royal Members:
For just a small additional fee tacked on per person per day (ours was $10 ea, but we came during the off season) you can upgrade to Royal, which means that you get your own "private" area of the resort that other guests do not have access to, in addition to having access to the other 4 resorts; Riviera, White Sands, Colonial & Kantenah. Royal members have their own suites, their own pool with bar and snack bar, their own beach (again with bar) a lobby with another Royal bar and a restaurant, El Jardin, that is also exclusive to royal members. In addition, there are free golf cart shuttles that Royal members can catch at any time to go anywhere in the resort, while other guests have to wait for the trains that go from lobby to lobby. (These are still very punctual and timely, though!)

The FOOD:

INCREDIBLE. We were not expecting high-caliber food at an all-inclusive resort, but that's just what we got. We ate like kings on this trip. Some of the restaurants we went to:
El Jardin- Royal member restaurant. We went here for dinner one night, they cooked my pasta right at the table and my husband capitalized on the free lobster. SO delicious. And, this restaurant has an amazing breakfast buffet! We came for breakfast 4 out of the 6 mornings we stayed there!
Sumptuori- this is the Japanese restaurant that we went to because my husband loves sushi. He wasn't disappointed. The food was very good, and if you can, try to sit at a hibachi table, where you can watch them make the food! Even if you get sat at a regular table though, it's still a great show.
Mare Nostrum-This was the Mediterranean restaurant that wow'd us! It has a fresh salad bar with carpaccio, and the meal that followed was beyond delicious. The atmosphere and decorations also make for a wonderful ambiance.
Buffets- We visited two of the buffets while visiting the resort; the Kabah and the Hacienda. Again, surprisingly good food! They have different themed nights with international dishes so that the food does not get repetitive. (We went on French night- Crepes!!! YUM!!!) The sheer variety of the different dishes served here also ensure that you won't get bored!
Snack Bars- we ate from the royal snack bar (ready-made assortment of sandwiches and salads) and the Punta Emilia snack bar while we were there. The Punta Emilia had an extensive menu with everything you'll be craving after hours on the beach- burgers, onion rings, nachos, ceviche, you name it! And everything that we tried was very good!
Punta Emilia- At night the Punta Emilia converts from a snack bar to a fancy sunset fish restaurant on the beach. This was our favorite meal of the trip by far. The fish was fresh and incredible and the wait staff was superb!!

Resort:
The resort itself is like a jungle. There aren't many places, (at least from where we were) that you can get an actual ocean view. However, we had a lovely view of a river right outside our room, and the scenery truly reminds you that you're in the middle of a rainforest. There are animals EVERYWHERE so always have your camera ready!! We had a lot of fun looking at the iguanas, cats, racoons, birds, fish and this capybara looking thing (never could get close enough to tell!)
Every night there is a little market near each of the lobbies where you can go to purchase souvenirs, although some of the sellers are a little overzealous.
Some of the activities we would recommend are:
-Hemmingway's Bar: such a neat little bar! Closed off and filled with books, and a dessert bar!
-Salt Water Pool: this is one of the coolest things at the resort- it's an extension of the ocean but there is a wall built around it. There is a sand & rock natural bottom and when the tide comes in, it is the perfect place for snorkeling. Such a cool place!!
-The lobbies often have live music at night and we often enjoyed sitting and having a few drinks while listening. Very relaxing!

Excursions:
We took a couple of excursions through Hotel Extras while on this trip. They are very easy to work with and work hard to get you the best deal possible. And you get a lot of bang for your buck!
We first went on the Tulum/Xel-Ha excursion, which started with a tour of the Mayan ruins (one of the coolest things I've ever seen) and ended with a trip to the Xel-Ha "waterpark" which is essentially a 3 km river that you can travel up to the river head and then snorkel all the way down. On the way down, there are several places that you can pull off and stop to jump off of a cliff into the water or go ziplining. You can also tube down the river instead of snorkeling, but we saw so many fish, and a sting ray that we couldn't bring ourselves to get out of the water! Xel Ha also gives you unlimited food and drink with admission and there is a Corona Bar and several buffets that serve mainly Mexican. There is also a dolphin lagoon, and several benches and hammocks set up around it so that you can watch them swim. This was one of our favorite places!

The other excursion we took with HotelExtras was to go swim with the dolphins, which is one of the top experiences we've ever had. They really get you up close and personal with the animals! The only downside to this is that they absolutely do not allow cameras and then charge you a lot of money for the pictures they take there. So if you want "proof" of your swim, bring your cash!

The Service:

We were astonished by how spoiled we were by the employees at the resort. Even before we arrived, I had begun emailing resort staff to try and do some scheduling, and they were very prompt in emailing me back and helped me out a ton! We had such a positive experience with these people before we even got there! For that, I would like to thank Paula Montoto, Paula Casas and Marco Milani. Because of their help prior to the vacation, we were able to relax fully by the time we arrived.

We also had a few favorites among the Royal staff. The bartender at the Royal Pool (we never got his name :-( is fabulous! We also really like Jacqueline at the front desk in the royal lobby and Alberto, who drove the royal golf carts.

The entire staff at the Punta Emilia was fabulous as well. We did not have a negative experience.

Helpful Tips:
Bring mosquito spray! You will need it at night! We weren't bothered by them at all, until we ran out our last night there, and then we were eaten alive!
Guys will need long pants and shirts with sleeves to get into any of the a la carte restaurants.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but overall we had a lovely time and we will definitely be returning to the resort and bringing our family and friends!

David & Madison

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Madison B

Dear David and Madison,
Thank you for your detailed review. I'm sure that you information will help future customers.
As member of the travel club I will see you very soon and many times.
It's nice to know that we met your expectatives.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Hubby and I stayed here for a week in Aug, and we absolutely loved it! We chose the Mayan Riveria area because of all the great attractions and things to do, but loved the hotel so much that we never left, lol. Oh well, looking foward to visiting again. :)

First, I should say I'm surprised by the many bad reviews on Tripadvisor before we left...sure, it's not perfect, but unless you're the type of person whose vacation will be nearly ruined over small stuff (if they forget your welcome drink or your minibar isn't refilled once or twice during your stay), then you'll probably enjoy yourself. It's not on the super-high-end of 5 star hotels, but it doesn't cost like a high-end 5 star either. :)

A FEW THINGS TO KNOW (tons of reviews point this out, but no harm in mentioning it again:
-the place is ENORMOUS
-men MUST wear pants to all the a la carte restaurants for dinner
-there is NO waiter service at the beach/pool
- the Palladium Addict website (http://www.palladiumaddict.net/mexico-mayan-riviera) has all the info you could possibly want before your trip, so definitely check it out

ROOMS: Great! Very spacious and clean! They're not ultra-modern in decor, but they have a tropical feel which is wonderful. Villas 54, 56 and 57 are great choices, as they're close to everything. It's true the pillows are a bit hard. Loved the jacuzzi and the shower.

RESORT: The most beautiful hotel grounds we've ever seen. The place is huge, with so much to explore! It's so amazingly well kept too! I just can't say enough good stuff about it. Lots of bridges in the Whitesands area, and lots of covered walkways through the jungle in other parts. Lots of little white lights everywhere gave it a very romantic feel. We enjoyed the boat cruise (free) around the White Sands lagoon. And finally, just want to mention we're really impressed with the hotel's commitment to the environment!

BEACH: Nice, long stretch, with lots and lots of palm trees, which was just fantastic. Plenty of space/loungers/shade, regardless of what time we showed up. There is some seaweed/rocks in the water here and there...I had water shoes with me for the saltwater pool, but didn't use them at the beach...there are plenty of places, especially further towards the Kantenah side, where you can walk in no problem.

ENTERTAINMENT: We didn't participate in the activities program, although it looked like there was lots going on each day! The shows at the Riviera in the later evening were so well done! Very professional. Night Club was nice, although not that many people there most nights, so we didn't stay long. Don't miss out on the White Party at the salt water pool...it was so much fun, so ask what night it's on to make sure you don't miss it.

FOOD: So much selection!! Breakfast buffet was fantastic with lots of choices. For lunch, Punta Emilia on the beach was our fave, although we often went to the buffets as well. For dinner, we tried several of the a la cartes, and they were all good, but our faves were definitely the Seafood (Punta Emilia at night) and the Mexican. And the drinks at the resort were awesome too!

OTHER TIPS:
-bringing water shoes for the salt water pool is a good idea
-loved the Segway tour around the resort...for $35, this is a really fun activity to do! Thanks to previous reviewers for suggesting this.

Room Tip: Villas 54, 56 and 57 are great choices, as they're close to everything.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank TravelGal_Toronto08

Dear TravelGal_Toronto08,
You just said it all. We work really hard every day and we have many customers.
I liked what you said "it's not perfect, but unless you're the type of person whose vacation will be nearly ruined over small stuff (if they forget your welcome drink or your minibar isn't refilled once or twice during your stay)"
Of course we are not perfect and this is why we always ask any customer that if there is something we forgot, or was not ok, please let us know and we may help to have a good perception about our Hotel instead of saying nothing and have bad comments.
I personally read all the comments in order to improve our services, thanks again and I hope you visit us soon.
It will be fantastic to meet you.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at the GP White Sands from 09/20 -09/26 with our 8 and 9 year olds and were with another family who also had a 9 and 5 year old. Aside from the weather, we had a wonderful time!

The Grand Palladium is a nice, LARGE property as almost every reviewer has noted. It is definitely aging, but there are maintenance people everywhere on the property working to keep it looking its best. The grounds are expansive but so green, lush and filled with creatures that we grew to love. Iguanas, lemurs, ducks, raccoons (yikes, but they were definitely friendly), birds . . . and I'm sure much, much more!

We stayed in a Junior Suite - Bldg 53 - which was pretty centrally located. It's close to the lobby and close to the pool. Near the restaurants/buffets too. The rooms are beautiful and nicely set for a family like ours. The girls took tub baths every night and loved having the big, jetted tub! The room also had a pull out sofabed which they slept on. Beds . . . the buds absolutely stink -- they are the hardest uneven beds I've ever slept in for a resort of this caliber. Pillows are thick and hard, although I found one in our six that thick and start to soften so I used that! Luckily we were all tired enough and had a few drinks which made sleeping a lot easier. But, the beds are definitely AWFUL. And our frig never quite worked right, it didn't get cold, but more of a "kind of" cold. We did have a tech come and look at it, but it didn't help much. We took a TA tip and left a buck and a request note in our frig every day and got what we needed on 4 of the 6 days. :) The minibar person is a different person than the housekeeping person. So be sure to leave separate tips. Our housekeeper, Mavina, wasn't especially friendly (I think it's because she couldn't understand a word of my English), but she did a great job with the room and left us fun towel creations every day which the kids loved!

We spent a lot of our time at the pool, both at the White Sands and also at the Riveria. We loved both, but the one at the White Sands is about 6-12 inches shallower. The beach was also nice, I wouldn't say amazing, but it's white sands and clear water, very warm, seaweed and rocks here n there, but for the most part sandy. Along the beach there is a turtle hatchery and they have it fenced off and locked, but if you happen to be passing by at the right time, you may be lucky enough to see baby turtles being dug up!! Very neat to see the newborn turtles. We tried to ask how long they keep them, but we couldn't communicate with the two men in tending the turtles. If you keep walking towards the Royal Suites end, there is a beach bar back by the fancy gazebos with ice cream, YES, ICE CREAM!! And it's hard scoop, not from a machine and about 12 flavors!! Coconut, mmmmm!!! :) Only wish we would've found it before day 5!

The drinks -- yes, plentiful, there is no shortage of bars, maybe bartenders, but not bars! The only beer is Sol, but the minibar does also have Superior. They mix any drink you request and happily make it stronger if that's what you like. They have an extensive menu of mixed things that taste great!

The food - we had the buffet each day for breakfast and yes, there is quite a variety. But, by day 5, we were wishing it changed a little bit? There were little differences between the Riviera and Colonial buffets, but nothing overly exciting. Other than at Riviera, they didn't sit us way in the back corner at the ONLY TABLE SET FOR 8, like the day at the Colonial the 3 mornings we ate there. Just makes it a little tough with the kids and the 20 trips back n forth! We loved the omelet station, fresh fruit, fresh made juices and smoked salmon above all else! The cereals were hard and stale, but I think humidity does that rather quickly. Champagne (bad champagne) was served each morning too. No creamer with the milk, they only have milk, but that's relatively minor.

The beach bar restaurant is a nice casual restaurant and the food is pretty good -- typical bar fare. The nachos and enchiladas were great, chicken nuggets and hot dogs were big hits with the kids! They have burgers there if you are missing a burger . . . .

One night we watched football (in Spanish) in the Sports Bar and ate bar food for dinner there! It was perfect -- no line and decent food, very much like the beach bar (probably the same food!). The kids played pool and ping pong for hours.

Ala Carte's - our fave, hand's down was El Dorado! The salad bar was great, the french onion soup was strange, but the ribeye and potatoes was tender and cooked perfectly!! Even my 8 year old devoured her steak! We also ate at the Japanese Teppanyaki Restaurant which was pretty good, but the chef was not nearly as entertaining as they are at similar restaurants here in Vegas. They don't toss food and turn it into neat flowers and other things like that, but instead he clangs the spatulas together like cymbals and stir frys before your very eyes! Food was pretty good though, especially the fried ice cream which is a must-try!! Portofino is very average and Rodizio was too. Rodizio offers 7 types of meat cooked on a skewer, starting with rabbit ending with prime rib. So my advice to you is to skip the first 4 courses. :)

The shows were great -- my girls are dancers so they loved them!! They all seem to be themed dancing shows (no singing or talking), but our favorite was the Pirate Show. We weren't impressed with the Disney Show and the Mexican theme show was also pretty good. We missed the Rock Show unfortunately as I know many reviewers highly recommend that one.

I never made it to the gym despite packing workout gear and with the rainy days! Instead we swam in the rain and played tennis, shuffleboard and putt putt golf!! The putt putt is a little weird, every hole is elevated and it seems like they tried hard to make it challenging, got a little old after about 8 holes. But, no worries, we moved on to tennis!

Towels and chairs were plentiful and the trains and golf carts were very timely. Although we were there at a very slow time for the property and it did feel like we were almost alone. :)

We would definitely return, but there are few things that make it a little less than a 5-star. We had thunderstorms 4 of 6 nights and cloudy rainy days 3 or 4 afternoons/evenings, but still had a great time! There's just so much to do, something for everyone, absolutely!!

Room Tip: Bldg 53 is very central, although 56 and 57 were closer to the ocean . . .
5  Thank rocsmom0304
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2017

Dear Guest

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation.
Thank you for your feedback. This information has let us know during the years to know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on and we can proudly show a new development with many renovated facilities and a generally resort upgrade.
We appreciate your kind words on our resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.
We feel honored that you would return and can’t wait to see you on your next vacation!

Best regards,
Grand Palladium Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!