“4th visit to Grand Palladium...Love love love this resort!”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
calgary, alberta
“4th visit to Grand Palladium...Love love love this resort!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Since this is our 4th visit to the Grand Palladium (Whitesands X 2) & (Kantenah X 2), I'll keep this review short as I don't want to repeat myself from previous reviews. . It is still our favourite resort and never disappoints....best beaches (walking & swimming), best lobbies, best live entertainment & overall great food. Absolutely best bang for your buck!... We did the Segway tour again (2nd time) .... Mr. G....You're awesome!...
I keep looking at booking other resorts for a change of scenery, but honestly, I know we'd be disappointed as the Grand Palladium has everything we are looking for in a resort. We love the fact that this resort is built in a jungle, We love the open air lobbies. Most of all, we love the beautiful beach, with all the palm trees, palapas and NO CHAIR GAMES!!!!! Great for snorkeling or swimming. Only disappointment this trip would be that it was our 35th wedding anniversary and was hoping we'd get an upgrade (especially since this was low season), but oh well, we still had a fantastic time and will return next spring. We've also been to the Bahia Principe Akumal, Catalonia Royal Tulum, Valentin Imperial and Dreams in Mexico....Palladium once again wins out!....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ritacalgary
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear ritacalgary,
It is nice to see reviews from repetitive customers like you.
Thank you for your good comments and I hope you make your fifth visit very soon.

The Royal Suites Yucatán

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Another fantastic holiday,in fact our best yet. We were located in WS block 57 for which firstly I must thank once again Mr Edgar Espinosa Arias for helping us with prior to our arrival. It is central to everything which is great when walking is a problem.
We found things/places in the resort that we somehow missed the last 3 years!!! Unbelievable but true!
We cannot fault anything,food in buffets and restaurants have enough choice for even the fussiest of eaters. Housekeeping is excellent,the shows were fun,especially the White Party and the new Rock Forever show in the Riviera....that was so so good.
A bit of advice to adult non-swimmers you can stand up everywhere in the Whitesands/Riviera main pool but if like us you prefer the Colonial pool which is steps away from the glorious beach buy a float as the pool mostly is quite deep unless you enter at the far end where the water aerobics is held.
We would like to give special thanks to Nidia who runs the Black and White Club,Santiago, Valentine and Alex at the Colonial bar who are very entertaining and always smiling. All the staff are always friendly and greet you with a smile whereever you go.Well done to the entertainment crew who my 19 year old son has got to know over the last 4 years and would love to join!!!
We hope to return again.

Room Tip: Have stayed in the Colonial,Whitesands twice and Royal Suites. Colonial/Whitesands central to everyt...
6 Thank Beverley456
Dear Beverley456,
Thank you for your review and your good comments about our staff.
You can be sure they will be very happy when they know they have been mentioned by you.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We spent 10 days at this hotel. Our friends had purchased the buy-in travel club and we were going ask guests. We were told that this entitles you to being treated like "royalty" and first class.

Initially, we were excited by the photos and reviews.

Within a few hours at the resort we realized that there would be issues that surfaced time and time again during our stay.

Housekeeping was inconsistent. The first day we were there we had human hair (not ours) in the sheets. Our rooms were not always cleaned properly.

The first night we were there the air conditioning broke down in the room. We were told that 74 degrees is the norm for all of the rooms and it doesn't get cooler. 74 degrees in a hotel is ridiculous and after sweating for much of the night we were finally moved to another room - at 11pm. The fridge was also broken.

The second room also had a broken AC and fridge. They fixed the fridge and never could get the AC to work properly.

Every time we tried to call the front desk for repairs or towels we got a busy signal. This was a theme and typically it meant that we would have to keep dialing - sometimes for up to 10 minutes just to get through to the front desk.

We were most excited about the food. To say the least it was less than average. The Chinese/Asian was American Beef Stew called "Red Curry", the Ribs place was pre-cooked food straight from Sysco. Gross food and if you're going stay away from the "nice restaurants".

There were nights that we waited 45 minutes for the train. When we asked for transporation in the golf cart (2 were idle) we were told that they were "out of battery."

These were just a few of the issues - and every single time they would apologize but things would never get better.

I have since corresponded with the "Director" and just like his staff - he apologizes and promises that "next time will be better."

No thanks!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
19 Thank NewY0rkTravelMama
In this Hotel works a lot of people who does a great job in order to provide the best service.
I don't feel it is fair to try to get a compensation or otherwise say that would write a bad comment on tripadvisor or other webs.
I'm sorry but we don't work like this.

New Britain, Connecticut
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Grand Palladium White Sand resort and Spa in Mexico was beautiful. It had 5 lobbies to use, pools everywhere you look. The restuarants were great, and the beach spectacular! The resort was beautifully maintained. The flowers, the landscape and everywhere you looked was beautiful. The rooms were very spacious, and very clean. The marble floors were everywhere. Outside and inside. You could eat off the floors. The staff were very friendly and made you feel at home. I would recommend this resort to everyone. The spa they have was top of the line. I would go back in a minute.

Room Tip: We went with 6 family members. We had 3 suites. They were beautiful and very spacious.
7 Thank DianeMontalvo
Dear DianteMontalvo,
Thank you for your good comments. It is nice to know that you enjoyed your stay.

new york
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I just got back from the White Sand less than a week ago. Im from New York and this is my 7th trip to the Cancun area. I’ve also been to the caribbean more than 10 times so I know what to expect. I stayed with my wife and two boys ages 12 and 15. First the good parts the resort grounds are beautiful and very well keeped and the beach is very nice. The gym was excellent won of the best I have seen in a resort. My room was large 2 double beds and a pull out couch, seating area, deck and large bathroom. Now for the bad my bed and pillow were as hard as wood the sheets always had a funny smell to them. The resort had very little to do at night. I tried to go into the sports bar and play pool on several nights but there were always kids as young as 5 running around in there without adult supervision till midnight. The parents would just drop them off in there and leave to watch a show or go drinking. They would play hide and seek and climb on top of the pool tables. The sports area was very nice they had basketball, tennis, soccer and miniature golf but it closed at dark even though it had lights. The teen club never really had any other kids in it. I was at this resort for 7 days and found only one other person from the USA which is fine but no one really spoke English. You had German, French and Spanish so most entertainment and food was based on them. The food was not good and im not picky at all. At breakfast the pancakes and french toast were hard very hard not fresh. They had an omelet station but again he didn’t speak English so it was hard to explain what you wanted. My wife wound up eating fresh fruit and yogurt almost every day and the kid’s cereal. The only bright spot was the Japanese restaurant excellent but you need to get down to the lobby early to get a reservation and you could only book one day ahead. During the day there were things to do snorkeling was excellent and the salt water pool is really cool. They had volleyball at 4:30 every day but at 6:00 they would take the ball back even though 12 people still wanted to play. The resort is also enormous its 4 resorts in one and about 4000 rooms and tons of walking and me and my wife workout every day and it was alot for us. They did have golf carts and a trolley but not enough. I’ve stayed in the Cancun area 7 times before and loved it. I would not recommend this resort.

5 Thank nervousNewYork
Good afternoon nervousNewYork,
Thank you for your review, it definitely will help us to improve our services.
Regarding our sports center you can play football or tennis during the afternoon-night (till 9pm).
If you require the lights to play tennis or basketball, there is one person uncharged who can help you.
We do have many people from USA. It is true that last weeks we had many people from Europe but we also have many Canadians and Americans during most part of the year. Apple vacation bring many customers to our Hotel.
I hope you visit us soon.

Mariemont, Ohio
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Grand Palladium White Sands for our honeymoon and it was fantastic! I loved that the buildings were only 3 stories, instead of the un-appealing high rises at other resorts. The food was mostly fantastic -- only dislike was the desserts -- the grounds and pools are beautiful and clean, and the list of activities goes on and on!
The resort grounds are huge, and it did take about 1 day and a half to figure out where everything is and how best to get around, but it was an adventure! The nightlife ends around 10pm, but there is a 24hr bar on the beach or you could take drinks back up to your room. We actually woke with the sun most days anyway, which is completely unlike us at home.
Alcohol quality is just OK...house wines aren't very good, but you can opt to buy bottles of wine and there's a small selection of liquor and beer. This won't ruin your stay.
It's been almost 2 years since we've been there and we've been YEARNING to go back! Just need to find that monetary deal...

P.S. Daniel was our favorite bartender in the White Sands lobby :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda P
Hi Amanda P,
Thank you for your time to write a review.
Just to say that the nightlife doesn't finish at 10pm! We have our daily entertainment show in the Riviera Theater at 10.15pm I specially would reccommend the "Rock forever show" every tuesday with the Quarzo Band.
After our shows we have the disco open until 2am. You have to see all this in your next visit please!

See you soon,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I vacationed to the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort in the Mayan July 20 - 27, 2012 this year for a Wedding. It was my first time on the East Coast of Mexico, but prior I have been to many resorts throughout Western Mexico, Dominican, Costa Rica and the Bahamas and Virgin Islands. I have never experienced such frustrations as I did at the Grand Palladium. We had pre-requested a room with double beds - only to arrive and see one. The room had a 'pull out' couch - which was really just a feature to take the cushions off and sleep on them on the ground. We tried several times to call House Keeping for extra sheets - only to get a busy signal every time. After 1 day of sharing a king bed between 3 of us, we went to the main reception, only to receive very rude and inconsiderate service and NO help at all. We asked to be even compensated with a simple spa voucher (considering we spent 3000+ to stay there and were completely unhappy) and we were dismissed. The beach was beautiful but the resort was unaccomodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Nicole T
Dear Nicole T,
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience in your visit to our Hotel.
All our Jr.Suites are composed by a King size bed or 2 double beds + a sofa bed. I'm sorry you didn't know about this prior to your arrival.
I'm sorry you could not contact housekeeping, we have front desk service in all our Lobbys 24h per day and they would have helped with anything you would need in the room.
We can't offer free spa vouchers as all the rooms are the same so I'm sorry there is nothing we could do regarding this.

The Royal Suites Yucatán
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!