“Don't hesitate to go!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa
“Don't hesitate to go!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Hola! We were there between March 12-19th. The weather was incredible, sunny everyday, only 5 minutes of sprinkles all week.
We have a 12 & a 15 year old. It is our favorite resort so far. We stayed at the White Sands but honestly they all look nice. We were in building 59, right near the beach, which we loved.They each have something different. It literally took us 3 days to orient ourselves,(taking our little map everywhere) but that's what we enjoyed was to discover new paths and pools every day.

One of our favorite spots was the salt water pool, it is so beautiful there, great for snorkeling,(beginners), no waves. Great spot for photography fans like me.

If you're thinking of getting married there, wow, there is a wedding court by the beach, we saw a lot of people get married there, there is also a beautiful chapel, and the setting around it is just amazing. We thought it would be nice to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary there next year.

The food was really good. We went to 6 different a la carte restaurants, with no reservations to any of them and walked right in to each one. Only one, we didn't like. The buffets were excellent.The staff is so nice and friendly. They love it when you try to speak spanish.

We watched a few shows, some were really good, others alright. Yvan, you are the best.

We had a really good time at the Grand Palladium, it's impossible not to like it there.
Don't be afraid to go to Mexico!

ps. the only negative which is really minor, the ipod station didn't work all week, the fridge wasn't cold and iron didn't work but they replaced it. The air conditioner didn't work but they came and fixed it right away.

Here are a few pictures.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear forkncouteau,
Thank you for your review. It's nice that you enjoyed our salt water pool, our shows and of course I also recommend getting married here. I did!

dtor.whitesandriviera@fiestahotelgroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I write to share with you my families' experience at the Grand Palladium White Sands (The “GPWS”), which you booked for me through Apple Vacations. I share my perspective, so no family should have to endure the pain and aggravation I suffered on my family vacation. In addition to the $5,400 I paid Apple, I spent $3,513 and 80,000 points on airfare and nearly $1,500 in gratuities for services I was already entitled to. In short, the GPWS is a total cattle call for people who are trying to squeeze the most out of a penny, enjoy terrible food at the same buffet day after day, and like discovering a resort by experimentation and trial and error. This is not a place for folks looking to enjoy a week of family fun, interaction with other children, and otherwise enjoy their time at the pool and the beach. If you have kids, the spa is worthless because there are no activities to occupy your children, while you relax or pursue such things as a massage. This is a fabulous facility spoiled by the poorly trained and uninformed personnel.
No matter what your temperament is for adversity, or how easy going or level headed you are, this resort will challenge you to maintain your cool while you continue to disappoint your family and walk them miles out of the way. Every interaction with resort staff led to a heated exchange, and I personally was brought to my boiling point on arrival, or departure and at multiple times during our stay. We paid you for private transportation to and from the hotel and a vacation which was consistent with the published information you provided about the hotel.
My wife and I are 48 and 43 years old and we traveled with our 7 and 11 year old boys. I practice law for 25 years and travel 60 days/year and have been to some of the finest resort destinations. I chose Apple because of its outstanding reputation as a tour operator and reliance on its favorable reviews on all the travel sites. My son had literally begged me to take him to this resort for 3 years and was really looking forward to it. I only agreed to take him when I saw that it was a highly rated Apple resort. Apple totally failed my family and I. As far as I am concerned Apple owes me a $5,400 vacation.
I will address my comments as follows:
Transportation: On arrival we waited in the blazing heat with all our bags for 1 hour and 15 minutes for our "private" transportation. At the last moment, Apple added another family to our van, which of course is not private. I sat on that curb, wishing I had reserved a private car or even taxi. Despite the fact that I met with and took direction from the Apple person on site in the lobby of the GPWS, and explained that my flight left at 11:55AM, the return private transportation was set up for way too late a pick up by Apple at 9:45AM, and our driver was 30 minutes late, so we missed our flight and lost our first class seats. See attached Apple itinery showing the correct departure time.
Personnel: The staff at the entire Grand Palladium resort is completely untrained, lazy and incompetent, led by the staff at the White Sands front desk. We arrived at 12:30 and learned that our room wasn't ready. The hotel was barren; the restaurants and pool were empty, but they explained that it is peak season. There is no place to change, so we waited in the lobby until 3PM for our room. Although we reserved and paid for a 1BR suite, which we confirmed on check in, we in fact waited nearly 3 hours for a standard room. It was nearly 4:30 before we got to our actual room, in a completely different building, much further from the beach. When we got to the right room, we noticed there were only 3 towels and no sheets on the sofabed. It took nearly 45 minutes for housekeeping to provide these items on the first night. In fact, we could never secure a 4th towel for our 4th guest for the length of our entire stay or any non dairy creamer. The room was actually spectacular and exactly what I expected, I just wasted nearly all of our first day and Christmas Eve waiting for it.
The front desk staff doesn’t know where the restaurants or shops are, or when they open, but that doesn't stop them from taking a guess, with no investigation, and giving you incorrect information at every turn. Apparently, to get a towel at the pool or beach you need a card per towel, but no one told us at check in or provided us with the cards in our packet. After walking a 1/2 mile to the beach from our new room, they tried to send me back to the front desk to get these cards. After I tipped the guy $40, and sustained a lecture about "no buts" next time, he finally gave me 4 towels. Every single person I encountered was adversarial, unhelpful and couldn't wait to turn me away without service. Everything is designed to have you provide your own labor and the staff is trained and instructed to do nothing. It’s as if it was created to provide the least amount of service, in contemplation of no tipping, and tipping in massive quantity gets you nowhere. Friday morning, my family made a 1 hour round trip to the furthest building, only to find the photography store closed when they got there, despite calling desk to determine when the shop opened. At checkout, despite giving a credit card for incidentals, the front desk was incapable of closing out a $30 balance for one bottle of wine and ultimately I needed to pay the charge in cash for the bellman to release my bags. Apparently, I needed some checkout voucher, but neither the front desk nor bellman ever mentioned it until I was boarding the transport 30 minutes late, despite the fact that I sat there for nearly an hour. This extra delay when coupled with the tardy transport caused us to miss our flight.
Dining: What they tell you is:
Regarding the dinners, in our a la carte restaurants we have not a reservation system, now all our guests can go to the restaurant’s a la carte as many times as the restaurant is available, if at their arrival at the restaurant there are tables they get in at the moment otherwise they have a waiting list, you put their name on it and the person in charge will give them a beeper, once the table is ready the beeper will let them know. There are 8 restaurants a la carte in the entire Resort:
La Adelita – Mexican
El Dorado – Steak house
Sumptuori – Japanese
Mare Nostrum – Mediterranean
Portofino – Italian
Rodizio – Brazilian
Bamboo – Asiatic
Ribs & More – BBQ & Grill
What they don't tell you is that they are only open for dinner, and 2 restaurants are closed every night, so your choices consist of the buffet for 2 meals a day. The buffet is vile, and the smell of all the prepared food is enough to have you dread every buffet meal, and do everything to eat at an a la carte restaurant for dinner. Despite that they tell you in writing that you can't make reservations before or after arrival, every host greets you upon arrival by asking if you have a reservation and you can plainly observe guests arriving with reservations and being promptly seated. On both Christmas Eve and Christmas, we went to the Japanese restaurant to enjoy the teppanyaki “show” cooking. The first night it was closed, even though the front desk said it was open, and we weren't appropriately dressed. On Christmas, we were the first to arrive, only to learn that we weren't permitted to eat at the teppanyaki or show tables, because they are reserved for guests in certain apparently more expensive suites. When I literally blew a valve with the head waiter Luis, Caesar, the Food & Beverage manager came over, and after I tipped them each $20, they gave me a special number to call the next night, which coincidentally was never ever answered. Anyway, they won the battle and I told my kids I would take them to teppanyaki at home.
Facility: The facility and setting are beautiful, but completely polluted by the inept staff. The hotel consists of 4 separate hotels, with facilities in each of 4 lobbies. If you have kids, the Colonial is the only place to stay because that is the nucleus of the resort and the place you need to travel to each day to find a populated pool, kids club and nearby beach. All the pools are desolate, except for the Colonial pool. Transportation within the complex consists of a train, which travels along pavers (rather than a smooth surface) in a ride which should be sponsored by Prilosec, because it’s a really bouncy ride with exhaust discharged directly into your face for the duration. They also have a boat to nowhere, which doesn't travel to 2 of 4 buildings, including the Colonial. There is zero for the kids to do at night, so you end up back in the room early. There were very few English stations, no hotellavision or movie channels. The English channels had non cancellable 2 line Spanish subtitles, making TV nearly impossible to watch.
Kids Club: No one knows where the club is located, but it’s right there behind the Colonial pool. They put ages 6-11 in mini club, and 12-19 in Black & White Club. For the week we were there, the kids club was populated by 5-6 year olds. My 11 year old was too young for the B&W club and he was twice the size of anyone in kids club. The activities were all toddler based, and they had nothing for my 11 year old to do. The sports facility is a series of full soccer and other fields, a shuffle board game and mini golf. The shuffleboard and mini golf are carved out of the woods, pitch dark and laden with mosquitoes. On vacation, we typically play mini golf every night, but the course was extremely difficult and poorly lit. Each hole was built up around each hole, making it impossible and frustrating to play for kids of any age. Rather than actively participate in any activity, resort staff merely throw a ball onto the field or into the pool, and the kids are responsible for knowing the rules, organizing teams and scoring the game. The website says they have video games and a game room, which we interpreted as an arcade, but they have only one set up of each of a Wii, Playstation and XBox in the B&W club for age 12+. When I asked if my 7 year old could play Wii with my 11 year old in a completely empty facility, the person in charge initially said that we couldn't leave them because she wasn't a babysitter. When I gave her $20, she said we could leave them for 30 minutes. There wasn't one supervised activity or opportunity to engage our kids for 1 minute in a week’s time. My kids met no one and we entertained them 24/7.
I wanted to alert you to our experience as soon as we returned. Unfortunately, we will never recover the time wasted walking in circles around the property. Contractually, you owed me a private and timely ride to and from the resort and reasonable investigation and competent advice about travel you book for me. As a matter of principle, Apple owes me the $5400 vacation I booked. If I don’t hear from someone at Apple on or before Friday 6th January, I will post this review to the websites I consulted before I booked.

As of today, March 26th, I have had no response from Apple.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
24 Thank Lane F
Dear Lane F,
I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations.
I disagree with your comments regarding the hotel and our services and I don't think that a web like this should be used as a tool of pressure.
There are many people working really hard here and I can state that their dedication and effort is beyond doubt.

New Hampshire, USA
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The location of this resort is good. The place is spotless and the pools and beaches are very nice most of the staff is very helpful and we have a very good time. A few items that need mentioning. This is an all-inclusive place. They have a number of al Carte themed restaurants that guests can select from for dinner each night. We hit six of them and only one was the Mexican themed place were worth the wait. The others were poor and the buffets are far better in terms of options and service. The GP folks need to work on their web site its needs much more information. the on line map is useless. The signage around the huge place needs to be clearer and better designed. They need to allow for guests to cash larger bills at the front desk so it’s easier to tip when we had great service. There are a ton of things to do but info and details are hard to come by.

Room Tip: chekc out all of the comments before booking a room
6 Thank parkerisland
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
I take note of your comments as I agree we can improve our signage.
I take this opportunity to inform that we have an APP of Grand Palladium which provides a lot of information about our resort and you also you will be able to have a map of the resort in you cellphone which will indicate your position and help you to find the place you want to go. 100% reccommended, you can ask in our receptions for this service.

Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We just had the best time on the Myan Riviera, staying at the Grand Palladium White Sand Hotel. We were in building #57, close to the beach with a water view. The setting is fanatastic, beach wonderful & clean, roomsare large & very clean, staff very helpful & polite. The restaurants are great, the food is to die for, lots of good choices of food at the buffets and also in all of the restaurants of which there are numerous to choose from.
The Renova Spa, is worth visiting while staying at the Palladium, best massage I ever had & also the facials are fantastic, well worth the price you pay for them.
The pools are great, one draw back was listening to the person talking too loud on his microphone at the pool side all day long. Suggest he turn it down a bit as visitors like quiet, not hollering. The night time entertainment at the Colonial & at the White Sands is great, very diverse group of POP (people of Palladium) who can keep you entertained nightly with a variety of entertainment through out the week.
I almost forgot, try eating your late night dinner on the beach, its romantic, quiet, soothing, the name of the place is Punta Emelia. High quality meal, professionally done by a great chef.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the beach, as the view is spectacular. Always something going on at the water, s...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Muriel C
I also love to have dinner in our restaurant Punta Emilia by the beach. Our weekly BBQ and this restaurants are the only ones which need previous reservation.
Thanks also for your good comments about our POP team.

I hope you visit us soon again,

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Just returned on March 22 from this massive resort. We stayed in the White Sands, building 57, which was close to the beach. Buildings 58-59 are the closest to the beach while building 52 is furthest. We appreciated Antonio fulfilling our room request made prior to our trip. Our room was large and very adequate. The bathroom definitely needing updating as did the bedspread and sofa. However, I tend to be too fussy, yet even I found everything to be very clean. Fluffy white towels, lovely bathrobes, stocked fridge, turn down service with chocolates, a fruit basket upon arrival and extremely quick response time to a housekeeping problem were all appreciated. We found the buffet food to be hot, varied and fairly tasty. Presentation of food was exceptional and staff seemed attentive and friendly. Although we are not pool users, I noted the pools were large, clean, not too crowded and warm when sampled by foot. The architectual design of the pools, pathways, bridges, meandering "river" and overall layout was fantastic. Be sure to take the free boat ride...even more enjoyable at night with all the pretty lights.Since we enjoy getting exercise the size of the resort was not a concern but anyone who has mobility issues would do well to fully investigate this resort beforehand. There are so many bridges and steps to go over that some couples with strollers were frustrated carrying both stroller and child up the challenging array of stairs at every turn. There are trolleys but a lot of walking at this resort appeared unavoidable. The upside to such a huge resort is the variety of things to do and see, from scouting out the flamingoes, crocodiles and interesting cenotes on the property to eating at a variety of restaurants. We only attended the evening shows that were of interest to us, but I found the shows to be well done with superior props, talent and costumes. The beach and pool areas had ample loungers and shady areas with palapas. The beach was only okay...but cannot compete with the white sandy shores of the gorgeous beaches found in Punta Cana and parts of Samana. Although the workers toiled hard to rake up the seaweed, it seemed a pointless task, as seaweed was continually washing back up again,especially on windy days. I never wear water shoes but at this resort you need them. You cannot go for endless walks on the beach, but you can go a decent ways in the northern direction. Beware of the 2 wild geese protecting their territory if you chance a stroll northwards! Overall I would recommend this resort and would consider returning, despite the lengthy two hour ride it takes to get there from the airport! We were dropped off last, and picked up first, which effectively robbed off us a day at each end. For example, we were picked up at our resort at 11 am but our plane didn't take off until 4 pm.....a LOOOONG day of sitting on a slow bus and in a dirty airport. Enough of a concern to make our return to this resort not an immediate one! (We travelled with CanJet through Air Transat). If management reads this, please commend Gilberto who serves up the morning eggs in the Riviera buffet as well as Wendy, the tall pleasant hostess who also works in this buffet. They are excellent employees who deserve some praise from management.
On a final note I would appeal to all tourists travelling to Playa del Carmen for shopping to NOT pose with the baby ocelot and tiger cub we observed languishing in a filthy alley in cruel conditions. The tiger had been drugged and lay listlessly on the filth while the young ocelot was crying pathetically. The upsetting incident put a pall on our entire vacation and left me determined to try to help these creatures in any way I can. A small start is to appeal to tourists to refrain from posing for a picture, as in doing so you are also exploiting these helpless creatures who have obviously been sold illegally through poachers, all in the name of greed. I will also be contacting wildlife organizations in Canada and around the world to put pressure on Mexico to ban this abhorrent practice. It was a relief to note that only one person was standing by for a photo. I am also appealing to the Grand Palladium resort to put pressure on your government to banish this practice as North Americans find it deplorable and archaic. The tourists that flock to your resorts are not accustomed to animal cruelty and will not turn a blind eye to such practices. Mexico already has many Canadians reluctant to travel to Mexico because of the steady increase of safety concerns. Adding animal cruelty to the mix will further deter Canadians and Americans from traveling to Mexico.

Room Tip: Rooms 58-59 closest to beach. We stayed in building 57 which was also very close to beach. Imperial...
7 Thank Purrsians
Dear Purrsians,
Thank you for your comments. It's good that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding you final note, yes I've read your comment and I agree 100% with you.
Our Hotel is in the middle of the Mayan jungle and you can see many different animals around the resort. One of our strong points which difference us from other Hotels is the respect we have for the nature and this made easy to involve our staff to get the Earth Check award of which we are very proud.
You can be sure the practices you have seen in Playa del Carmen are illegal and need to be reported to the police if seen in the streets.

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I can't recommend this resort enough! My wife and I said we'd never go to the same resort twice cause there is so much to see in the world. Well, we went to this resort two years ago and couldn't stop talking about it. We went again in March and absolutely loved it. It's clean, it huge so there's lots to do, the staff are very friendly and it's very relaxing. The best part of the resort is the size. You can customize your holiday exactly like you want. If you want to stay busy and do excersions...not a problem. We wanted to have a quiet private holiday and we kept to ourselves. It was perfect!!

I would highly recommend the bump up to Imperial Junior Suite (which we did last time) or the Imperial Suite (which we did this time). As soon as they found out we have been back a second time, we were treated like gold!!

Room Tip: Definitely take the bump up to Imperial Junior Suite. If you feel like splurging, go for the Imperi...
8 Thank TheProbst
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear TheProbst,
Thank you for your review, it is really nice that you appreciated that the size of the resort is one of the bests things in our Hotel.
I agree that you can customize your holidays like you want and we provide the activities and services to do that.

Houston
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The resort was absolutely beautiful and the rooms were spacious. The pools were plentiful and overall clean. However, service was lacking. I have stayed in many resorts in this area and have become accustomed to the friendly and good service that this area provides. This was not the case at GP White Sands. Very few of the staff greeted me or acknowledged my greeting around the resort complex. The food was also very disappointing- all inclusive on the cheap. However, Alfredo at the Riveria lobby bar was great and the gym was top notch.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank jench2615
Dear jench2615,
I'm sorry to hear that you think our service and food was disappointing. I can tell you that we usually receive very good comments about that and it would have been very useful if you had the opportunity to let us know during your stay so we could have made something at that moment in the areas lacking of service.
Thank you for your feedback and we will take into account your comments and the information will be reviewed with our F&B Managers.

dtor.whitesandriviera@fiestahotelgroup.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!