“Dream vacation!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Thamesford, Ontario, Canada
“Dream vacation!”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I really enjoyed vacationing at the Grand Palladium White Sands. We stayed in the Royal Suites and LOVED all the upgrades! Free internet in the room (or there were computers to use in the lobby and free internet in he hotel lobbies), unlimited a la cartes, 24 hr room service, our own pool for Royal Suite Guests with pool side service. The room was amazing: king size bed, separate living room, balcony with a jacuzzi tub- always clean! We also had our own stock of Premium liquors included. Only down fall is I blew the breaker in the room using the hairdryer and stereo at the same time but its easily fixed and easy to prevent. No hydro adaptors needed!

The resort is very large (5 resorts in one) so you can either get some good exercise in or take the trollies around the resort. Royal Suites have a separate sevice so you can call for a ride from the lobby. The resort itself is beautiful, the beaches are large and clean, and the food was amazing! You must try the show table at the Japanese restaurant and the Brazilian was also fantastic. Drinks were very good and not lacking in alcohol!

It was easy to book excursions- we could book right in the hotel lobby (White Sands) with our travel company. We did the Tullum Extreme, deep sea fishing and swimming with the sea turtles. Tullum is beautiful and well worth visiting. You can't climb this ruin but the beach is worth the trip! If you want to climb the ruins- go to Coba- only one you can still climb! Also included with Tullum was cenotes and zip lining= awesome! The boys loved the deep sea fishing and was quite reasonable at under $100/pp when you shared a boat. The snokelling with the sea turtles at Akumel was well worth the $72 as we got to see a variety if sea life and the corel reef.

Overall- my favorite vacation I have taken!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Royal Suites- you get unlimited a la cartes, 24 hr free room service, private pool, beau...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Alison P
DtorAdjunto, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your friendly review. We are very pleased to have made your stay a special and memorable one!
It makes us happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation and we were able to live up your expectations! Thank you for sharing.
Your home away from home awaits you next time you are in Mexico, and show all the newest renovation and progress

Grand Palladium Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Myself, husband and two daughters ages 21 and 16 spent 5 nights, Dec19 - 24 at the Grand Palladium White Sands. We arrived by private transfer using Cancun Transfers(think that was the name). Our flight arrived early about 2 pm and we were out of the airport in about 20 - 30 minutes and on our way. It took about 1 hour. Nothing to really see along the way. The Hotel was very quiet and we checked in quickly, and was sent over to one of the travel club people for an explanation of the resort. I already knew everything I needed to know and just wanted to see my room after being up since 2 am that morning. He was rude once he realized we just wanted to get to our rooms. He stood up and walked away abruptly. Fortunately, that was our only negative encounter. We had 2 rooms in Villa 59, second floor next to each other facing the jungle. I did request 58 or 59 so thank you. Rooms were Jr Suites and very clean and dry. Beds were comfortable, pillows small as previously stated. We were up around 6 am everyday and returned only to shower and sleep. You really do not spend much time in your room. I did enjoy our location however and would stay in this villa again. We were close to the beach and Punta Amelia's for snacks and drinks. We were about an equal distance to both the Colonial and the White Sands Pool.
The first day we forgot to lock our safe and we had jewelry, a large amount of cash and our passports exposed all day and nothing at all was taken. I read a review where they accused the staff of taking a childs winter coat and I am wondering what anyone who lives there would do with a winter coat. Its very hot. Please do not accuse these hard working people of theft when you probably misplaced your own belongings.
The resort is more beautiful in person than in all the pictures on the web. Staff is warm, friendly and hard working. The first night we ate at the Mediterraen restuarant and sat outside by the pond. (absolutely not smells) The service and atmosphere was impeccable, equivalent to a 5 star restaurant. The food was more a 3 star but still exceded our expectations. We went with the attitudes that we were there to enjoy the atmosphere, entertainment, beach, and activities. For breakfast there was always plenty of fresh cut up fruit, omlette station, lox, cereal, yogart, breads, pastries, lunch food, champaign etc. We have paid $30-$50 dollars a person for similar brunches here in the US. For lunch the buffet by the pool was my favorite. Fresh grilled fish, your choice of salmon, mahi-mahi, or grouper cooked to order. There was a delicous lentil soup one day that was out of this world. Better than I have ever made or had any where. Lots of salads and fruit and burgers, chicken, ribs. You could definetly eat healthy if you choose. I have high blood pressure and am sensitive to salt so I was worried that the food would be too processed for me but not a problem at all. Everything was freshly prepared and delicioius. This was not gourmet french food but very decent high quality simple dishes. For dinner we tried the different ala cartes, we did not like Rodizio. The service was off and the meat was dry and tough. We left and went into the buffet for dessert but could not order kahluha and baileys with our capuccino since they only serve wine and beer in the buffets.
We discovered that baileys and kahluha tasted really good in lieu of milk or cream in the coffee. Their milk is different and they do not serve cream. We also did not care for the food at the Punta Amelias. My daughter did have a veal dish there that was good. We also enjoyed the Japanese and Steakhouse very much. Did not try the chinese or Italian. Wish they had the outdoor buffet open for dinner. BTW, The food is served inside and the tables are outdoor so no animals or unsanitary conditions by the serving tables in the buffet area. We did not try the evening Barbeque. We also did not see a lot of animals as stated in other reviews. The few we did see were tame and almost like house pets. They seemed to know their place and did not bother the guests.
The beach, what could I say except WOW! Breathtaking, relaxing, gentle breezes, I could sit there all day and not be bored. The weather was decent. A little rain on and off the first day but if you sit under a palapa and listent to the rain drops its very relaxing. A few downpours early in the morning but past quickly. We enjoyed the first day relaxing by the pool and exploring the resort. Our main problems were deciding between the beach and pool each day. The Whitesands pool is more relaxing but the outdoor buffet was only opened at the Colonial pool side. Some of the acivities at the Colonial pool get a little annoying. They bring the kids over and have the olympics and they are on the loudspeaker just screaming into it. No problem, just move to the beach.
My husband and I enjoyed the strectching and zumba classes in the morning by the colonial pool. The zumba instuctor was amazing. We had a great time with him. A must try while you are there. I felt great the rest of the day.
We took a colectivo one morning into Tulum to see the ruins. Fantastic way to spend an hour or so walking around. Great photos looking down at the beautiful beach. It was cloudy and nice out. By the time we left the sun came out and it was hot, hot, hot. Masses of people were coming in and we were so happy we came early and left before the heat and crowds arrived.
The other time we left the resort we took a cab over to Akumal to snorkel with the sea turtles but the water was rough and the turtles could not be seen so we left and took a cab back. The next day we went with the Caribe Scuba people from the beach over to snorkel in Akumal. They only go if the water is clear enough to see the turtles. The boat ride is really fun and the guides are amazing. You leave right from the beach with other resort guests and the boat ride was the highlight.
I really did not care for the collectivo. It did not feel safe to me. The driver tried to get us to sit on the floor since there were not more seats! We told him we would wait for the next one. Use a taxi or hotel exursion. 'Way more fun and safe.
We enjoyed the snorkeling exursion so much, my husband and 21 year old wanted to try the discover scuba excursion. They had a lesson in the pool and a film to watch and went out for about 2 hours on the boat. It took about 4 hours all together. The Caribe Scuba people are fantastic and highly recommend them. My husband and daughter had a great experience but my husband did get nauseous and threw up on the boat right after he was done and reached the surface. Scuba diving is probably not in his future but at least can brag to his friends that he Scuba Dived in the Riviera Maya. My older daughter loved it and would do it again if the opportunity arose.
The nightly entertainment was great. The dancers are very talented and put on a nice performance.
We like to experience everything so we did both shows most evenings. It was a little hard staying awake during the second show. The best one was the Pirate show on Friday night.
They let us have late check out until 4 pm. It cost $40.00 dollars but was worth it.
We were going to Cancun for a couple of days before heading back home. I really regretted that move. This resort was 100 times nicer than Cancun. We paid $400 to eat at Harry's which was supposed to be the best restaurant in Cancun and I did not enjoy it anymore than Palladium food considering the 4 of us could have spent another day at the Palladium for $400.00(the cost of one meal). The beaches in Cancun were bland and the hotels were ugly. They had some nice shopping and the color of the water was beautiful and it was less humid.
In conclusion this was one of our best vacations. We have been on Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean cruises, we have stayed at 5 star resorts in Miami, Aspen, Vail, New York , LA and San Diego and I would not hestitate for a moment to recommend the Palladium White Sands. I am confused why anyone would write a negative review. I can understand if you are used to paying thousands of dollars a day to stay at an ultra lush resort with a private butler (then why would you chose this resort ) but for less than $110.00 us dollars a day a person all inclusive this is your dream resort...

Room Tip: Villa 58 and 59 a few steps from the beach and Punta Emelia's beach bar.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
15 Thank sunrisemoma
Dear Guest,

First of all, we want to thank you for choosing us as you holiday provider. Thank you also for sharing your excellent experience at the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are beyond thrilled when our guests have a fantastic experience with us.
Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future to show you all the improvements and renovations in the last years

Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed December 23, 2011

A group of us stayed here and I just want to say the spa is the best I have ever seen. It has everything you would want and it is all included except massages. The whole place it great it has a lot of bars ( I think about 20 or so) it is so big you can ride on a pontoon boat or the trolly to get around. The rooms are stunning with a hot tub in your room. I could go on forever If I could choose anywhere to go in Mexico this would be my number one choice. I keep looking for a deal to go back and as soon as they run it I am gone. I have stayed at about 20 different places in the last 30 years of traveling and I rank this as one of the best. I just wish someone would give me a deal so I could go back. The only bad thing is it is a long way from the airport but that did not matter to me if you can get a private van to take you and pick you up.

Room Tip: We stayed on the north side of the property and was quiet and the first floor and we were a block or...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tony37093

Dear Guest

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation.
Thank you for your feedback. This information has let us know during the years to know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on and we can proudly show a new development with many renovated facilities and a generally resort upgrade.
We appreciate your kind words on our resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.
We feel honored that you would return and can’t wait to see you on your next vacation!

chicago
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This was our first time at Palladium, 6th time at an AI resort in Riviera Maya. The resort is huge and the landscape is gorgeous. You will do a lot of walking and a lot of stairs, the pool at whitesands/riviera is surrounded by water, the pontoon boats drive around it so you need to walk up and over to get to the pool. We stayed in bldg 56 which was close to the white sands pool, a quick walk to Punta Emilia/Beach. The food was good and plentiful. There are a lot of stray cats and raccoons around the place probably because people feed them and you are allowed to take food out of the restaurants. They are basically tame but might be an issue for some folks. We have two kids, 8 & 5. They really enjoyed the kids club. They particpated in the nightly shows as well. Being in White Sands made getting to the kids club kind of inconvenient, if they wanted to go for a short time we had to take the train or walk the beach over to Colonial/Kantenah. If you think you are going to spend a lot of time at the kids club you may want to book that side of the resort instead. However we liked the food and pool better on the white sands side. Employee's were helpful for the most part. Sometimes things were lost in the translation, I thought the language barrier was highest at this resort versus all others we stayed at in the past. Thankfully my husband speaks fluent spanish which helped. Some requests at the bar were flatly refused. Said they couldn't do or make certain things. This was sometimes disappointing.
We booked a 1 bedroom suite. We had a living room, large bathroom with huge soaking jacuzzi tub and sep shower, and a bedroom with a king size bed. Room was always cleaned and made up with plenty of towels and toiletry items. The POP, animation crew, were fabulous. We really enjoyed the zumba classes, stretching and nightly entertainment. These people work hard and appear to love their jobs, they were exceptional!
Negatives, the size of the resort and the walking, if your little ones cannot hang I would def bring at least an umbrella stroller. The mini toddler sized pillows filled with mystery fluff, seen this mentioned so many times on here, it would behoove them to get rid of them and start over with regular sized decent pillows.
WIFI in the rooms free of charge would be nice and is offered at other resorts.
For the most part we had a great vacation, would maybe move to a different part of the resort if we decided to return.

Room Tip: bldg 56 and 57 are close to everything.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank tsquaredChicago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding your stay at the Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant experience on our lovely resort years ago. It’s always a pleasure when our guests have a wonderful time with us.

We appreciate your kind tone and look very forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to show you the newest development and progress.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

We went to white sands nov 13-28th. My husband and I and our 10 yr old daughter. First it's as big as they say but really can get anywhere in a few minutes or catch a tram. We really enjoyed going to the colonial lobby every evening it seemed to be where all the action was each night. We would watch the show and my daughter participated in the kids show she enjoyed that. She also went to kids club most days and they had alot of activities for kids and very well organized. The food amazing we ate at buffet in mornings and usually grabbed something at beach bar or not. For dinner we went to one of the specialty resteraunts we went to all of them and all were amazing. The spa was great went several times. I like that they have seperate adult and kid areas many have this but do not adhere to it. Ok so my fav thing is this resort really pays attention to the details and you are always getting a hola from someone when they walk by. This place is simply phenomenal. Will we go back sure. But we like to go different places. You can't go wrong with this place

• Stayed November 2011
9 Thank Tkeelstl

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 2, 2011

This was our 3rd trip to the Grand Palladium and our last. While we were happy the first two times this time we were disappointed. We were traveling during the week of Thanksgiving and while I understand that it’s a busy time, the hotel was not prepared for that many people. The rooms were clean and the food was good but the service was the worst I’ve ever seen. They didn’t have enough people working in restaurants, they didn’t have enough beach towels and had a standard response of 20 minutes wait which took much longer and to top it off we couldn’t return the towels half the time because they were out of towel cards and had to drag wet and heavy towels to our rooms.

We stayed all day at the beach and since the only good beach was at Kantenah, we ate at the Colonial restaurants during the day. We came with a large party of friends and everyone was so disappointed. During lunch, we couldn’t get our silverware for half an hour, it took 30 minutes to an hour to get our soft drinks and we cleaned out the dirty dishes ourselves from the table because the waiters just didn’t do the job. We were constantly standing in line at the grill and also at the beach bar, it were obvious they were understaffed, overworked and often rude. We talked to two managers and all they could say is that they are sorry and that a hotel lay off many workers 2 months ago.

I would like to point out that Riviera buffet restaurant had a very good service and a Chef making omelets was so courteous and made excellent ones where in Colonial buffet the lady making omelets was rude and the waiting line was long.

We went to three al a cart restaurants: Brazilian, Japanese and Italian, they food was good but took so long, we spend almost 2.5 to 3 hours there, crazy. And the concierge at the Italian restaurant was so rude. He told us to wait 5 minutes and after 15 minutes of waiting we just asked how much longer and the guy rudely answered that when the table will be ready then we will be seated, the tone and the choice of words used was just unacceptable.

On the day of our departure, the bus only had 3 empty seats scattered around and it was 4 of us, so when I said that there are not enough seats, the apple representative just glared at me and told me to hold my “baby” in the lap. I was just anxious to get to the airport and didn’t want to miss my flight, otherwise I would have pointed out that my “baby” is 4 years old and is not traveling free and should have his own space to sit. It was a good 50 minutes uncomfortable ride.

We are not complainers and have been to other resorts in Mexico including this one, but this is definitely our last trip to Grand Palladium. Everybody that traveled with us and other guests we spoke to were very unhappy with the service and said that they won’t go back.

Room Tip: building 59, 58 and 57 are closer to the beach
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MashkaK
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Very nice place, safe for two young women in their twenties! The update to the royal suites REALLY worth the money. Private swimming pool, Butler, private transport (Very useful given the size of the hotel)! Wow, a fantastic journey! The food excellent and varied, the staff friendly and attentive! Altho, be careful there's a lot of mosquitoes, and THEY BITE! The shops are smaller than other hotels, but the nightlife is great. (Except for the shows, very disappointing!!!) The pools are clean and warm, and the go's very energetics! The beach is beautiful, especially the salty natural pool ! What a fantastic week!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gabmani
Rivieraywhitesand, Resident Manager at Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thanks Gabmani,
I agree 100% that the update to the Royal Suites worth the money.
I disagree with the opinion about the shows! you have to see the Pirates of the Caribbean show in Riviera (friday 10pm). I really reccommend that show but we have mexican show with mariachi, disney show...

I hope you visit us again soon. It will be a pleasure.

Antonio Parrado Rodríguez
Director Residente / Resident Manager
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa
The Royal Suites Yucatán
dtor.whitesandriviera@fiestahotelgroup.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!