“Second visit and still impressed!”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed November 17, 2006

We stayed at the Coba property from November 5th - 12th, 2006.
We were just as impressed this time as we were the last time we stayed at the property (first visit was to the Tulum side).
From the Check In to the Very Sad farewell we were treated like royalty! We really enjoyed the Buffet Kulkukan and the service provided by Manuel and Martin. The lounge was also a great place to relax and Juana (lounge server) was Excellent!
We had all intentions of going to the Disco - but with all of the day activities and sun we couldn't stay up! The Beach was beautiful - a little rocky getting in to the ocean - but just walk a few feet and there would be a place to get in to the water. Once in - the fish swim right up to you - definately bring your snorkel and mask!!!
At the pool - there was always a place to lounge - plenty of chairs available - as well as a lot of quiet pools around the property.
Housekeeping always left a little towel animal in the room (by the end of the week - you could have a small farm!)
The Mini Bar was always full of Pop, Juice and Beer and a few chocolates too!
The Rooms were spacious (we were in the Club Golden) a nice sitting area as well as a nice balcony with a couple of chairs to relax on.
We would definately give this resort a 10 out of 10!
We are looking forward to returning again next year!

17  Thank ayearoff

Reviewed November 17, 2006

"Great Resort" review pretty much covers it--
However, be aware if you are confused of the 3 Bahia Principe- Tulum, Coba, Akumal, they are all connected which is fine, but we thought we had an ocean view room. Just understand which one you are in. Our booking was in Coba, which has NO ocean views. Even my experienced travel agent didn't know a Coba booking meant an area with no ocean view- it's a little confusing when you are not there to see lay-out. You might want to contact them for a layout of resort before booking if that is an issue for you. Coba is at the "back:" of the resort, which is not bad, we were near entrance lobby great pools and the buffets. However, we had one of those noisy hiway rooms when we got there- I was pretty upset after expecting an ocean view!! After one night and seeing the mass turnover of people I went to the Apple Vacation people (who our agent booked with) and told them the room was unacceptable. We did end up with a couple other choices of lovely pool view rooms, but we had to pack up and move immediately that morning which was fine. It was worth it. Food was very good, but as usual a little redundant after several days. Night shows are pretty good, a little campy, but they all apparently circulate up and down the coastal resorts on different nights. I did see another review about a group getting sick down there, my husband daughter and I did not get "sick', but interesting to note in retrospect that we all had, as my mother would have called it "a loose tummy!" :-) I don't know how to put it any more politely. I figured maybe it was just from all the excellent fresh fruit that I don't get a chance to eat so much of that often. It was not to the point of ever feeling sick tho.--- In comparison, we were in Jamaica in September, ate fruit every day too, and did not experience any issues. Don't know what to think, but it would not keep me from going back there. Rooms were VERY nice, had the suite, spacious and bathrooms very nice. We however, had room service every day but one. Sandy beaches, but rocky in the water, would recommend water shoes if you are a tender foot.
Not like Cancun beaches - that was a negative. Very nice but very large resort, if you don't like that stay away. Staff was VERY nice. NO mosquitoes in April. Note- Apple Vacations- we had an 11:30am departure and were Picked up at 5:45 am (NOTa typo) to go to the airport!!!! Small van made only 2 other stops, about 8 of us all together, no need for such an outrageous pick up time. We got there at 7:30 am, the airline staff doesn't even get there until 8:00 am!! We were checked in by 8:30, and cooled our heels for 3 HOURS before our departure. RIDICULOUS- complained to APPLE TOURS when we got back. Might be worth booking your own ride to airport? Tulum was excellent- incredible beach,, bring your suit, but if you take the tour won't really have too much time to enjoy the water- check with tour guide first. We took the Tulum/Xel-ha tour, but if you plan on swimming with the dolphins that is all you will have time to do at Xel-ha,-very crowded, had fast snorkel time & quick lunch, rest was dolphin time. Felt the entrance fee was a rip-off in this case.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank Marq2
Reviewed November 16, 2006

My boyfriend and I just returned from our stay at the Bahia Principe Coba and we had a great time, especially considering the great price we paid.
The resort was absolutely huge, but as others have said there are a lot of trains constantly running to take you around, but also the walking is good especially after eating all the food and drinking!
The resort is further from the beach then ackumel and tulum but we didn't find that to be a problem at all, in fact we liked having the options to use the other resorts as well.
The a la cartes are good but the portions are small. The only one that I didn't enjoy was the gourmet restaurant because of the service, they messed up our order a few times and even argued with us when we told them it was wrong.
The Japanese was by far the best...I would have booked it twice had I have known.

Our maid service wasn't the best because we had to ask them to give us water 3 times and got back to the room at 6 and found our maids having a chat outside our door with our room not cleaned...they hurried to clean it and apologized but I still thought that it was unacceptable so complain to the golden club right away if something like that happen, especially at 6 a night when you expect to return to a cleaned room. Be careful too because the maids will tuck stuff away in the bedside table drawers and I ended up coming home with our some of my clothes and didn't realize until I got home!

The pools are gorgeous and well designed. They have a big quiet pool and activity pool for those looking for some more fun.
The resort also has a hacienda that has a disco that all the resorts share which we ended up dancing in a few nights.

My biggest tip would be to bring bug repellent because my feet got eaten alive. They are so ichy and very uncomfortable so for your own sanity bring bug spray!

We did a few day trips as well...Tulum was great, and bring your bathing suit because the beach there is fabulous! Beautiful white sand and no rocks in the water. We also went to Playa Del Carmen later in the day so we could have dinner down there and it was great especially when you take the collectivo (white van) it only cost us $2 each to get there. (we took them everywhere that we went).

I would definitely recommend this resort to others, because I found that there was a lot to do and the resort itself was beautiful, but beware of some of the service.

16  Thank TravelBug7844
Reviewed November 15, 2006

We just got back from Akamul. This is one big resort. There is three resorts in one. I strongly recommend to email hotel directly to get a room with a view of ocean as this property is just so huge. We stayed in 65 and had a great location but if stayed another time there, (which we definitey will) I will try to book unit 66 as it has total ocean front with wave crashing out your window . The food was awesome. There were so many freebies on the resort that was just excellent for the teens to do. Snokeling, body boards, scuba in the pool, sailing on a cateraman, ect!! Charlie, scuba diving instructer at pool was awesome with everyone that would talk with him. He was the employee of the resort with so much energy and love for all the tourists. He definitly was a huge asset to our vacation everday with his smiles and recomondations on what to do daily around the resort. Make sure you look for him at the pool. I took a scuba diving course while there. $275.00 to get certified! We did three ocean dives and two pool dives. Was totally awesome. Nester , who was my instructer was great. Very professional and just a experience of a lifetime. Recommend this to all who love the experience of diving in totally beutiful water. If any other question you may have give me a email at

pdelowsky@shaw.ca

Patrick

Stayed: November 2006
9  Thank pdelowsky
Reviewed November 14, 2006

Well I visited this resort the first week of November and it was not very busy at all which was nice. But by the time we left it was started to get packed and you had to wait in line at the Buffet. I am in my 20's was with my boyfriend who is also in his 20's and this was our first time to Mexico and were not impressed. I found this resort to be more focused on kids and middle aged people. At night there was nothing to do and everything shut down around 11 pm. We couldn't go out and hang out with other people our age because the music bar that was available was very low key and not what we were looking for.

Our villas were exceptional except that our beds were rock hard, they had no give to them at all, my boyfriend and me were constantly in pain from the bed, we would wake up with sore backs and necks. We stayed on the bottom floor of the three storey villas and they were very echoey you could hear everything if anybody was out there you could hear them it was very annoying. Our T.V was horrible we only got one channel that was partially english so if there wasn't a movie on at night that was in english we had to go to bed cause there was nothing else to do.

The pools were amazing we spend most of our time by the pools because they were so roomy and never crowded you could always find a lounge chair. The swim up bar was amazing but trying to tell the bartender what you wanted to drink was a little problem I would definitely recommend spanish lessons it makes things so much easier. Even though most of the staff know a little english knowing spanish goes a long way in the end.

The food was terrible the only place we found that was moderately good was the snack bar by the activity pool. All the rest was horrible and we were scared to eat any of the food, it was usually picked through and cold. Not alot of options if you have allergies to foods. The juice's were all fresh which is great except if you are used to our juices up here that are full of sugar. The pop at the buffet was flat no matter how many times I ordered it still flat. We drank alot of water and beer cause they seemed very consistent. We went to one a la carte restaurant which was a good change not very big portions though. I got a mexican coffee I would totally recommend getting one of these very good and as a added bonus they make it right in front of you.

The beach was horrible we only spent one day there because of the shore line was filled with rocks and coral and they were very sharp. Once you get into the water its filled with rocks and boulders so be careful not to cut your feet. It felt like your feet were bleeding when you walked in I would recommend water shoes as a must. The water was very salty as well you had to have a shower right after getting out of shower cause your skin was gritty from the water.

We were part of the golden club so we had a massage included it was amazing totally worth it right down by the beach. Its only 30 minutes but it feels like an hour.

Activities we only left the resort twice cause it was such problem trying to get one of those van's to stop and you had to cross the highway to get to some of them very dangerous. We went to Xel-Ha for a day and got there early in the morning and got the all inclusive pass so everything was included which was nice. We decided to go on the river, well if you are like most people you would think it has a current so you wouldn't have to do much swimming you just sit on the tube and go down the river. Not at all getting into the tube and getting out of the mangrove that was covering the beginning of the river was horrible and there is big signs that say don't touch the mangrove well there is no possible way you have to touch it your tube goes right into it. After you finally get your self free start paddling cause there is no current and we had to paddle all the way back to the stairs I was so tired after that I didn't want to do anything. We went snorkeling which was ok not that many fish though and once you get to the floating
bridge be aware that the fish get more populated and much bigger so if you are not comfortable around fish don't get close to the floating bridge.

Playa del Carman was ok a typical shopping trip with lots of shops in a very long street you will get hasseled when you get on this street so be forewarned to ignore it.

Overall we would not come back to this resort it just did not have the night life we were looking for and there was no 20 something's anywhere and lots of kids that were loud. Way to far away from Cancun and the bus rides were not that great.

7  Thank coldmuffin
Reviewed November 13, 2006

Visited the Coba November 2 for one week. We flew Airtransat from Toronto. I know you cannot expect much from Charter Airlines today, but I was very disappointed to find the washrooms on the plane dirty. The food was a soggy half a sub from subway going and returning. Our flight times were changed twice. With regard to the resort it was excellent. Very clean, and the staff very friendly. This is our second visit to the Bahia's staying at the Tulum in January 2006. The Coba rooms are the best. They are large suites. We stayed in the Royal Golden section. The A la Cartes are all very good, we particularly enjoyed the Japanese Restaurant. We found the buffet at the Coba to be just okay, although it was better then at the Tulum. Several mornings we went for breakfast and there was no bacon. Also the couple of times we ate dinner at the buffet there was no one cooking the meat fresh. They had precooked steak, chicken and fish and they were on platters. We travel quite often and at other resorts they would have a chef carving a roast fresh for the dinner. If you are looking for a unique keepsake from the Mayan Riviera there is a gentleman in the Lobby of the Coba, his name is Edwardo. He does not stand out at all, and we only discovered him on the last day. He will make a Mayan Calendar showing your birthday, or some other special occassion. It is really nice, and the money goes toward helping the children in the area. The cost for this was only $20.00 for each calendar, and we had a few made to give as gifts.

9  Thank Neys
Reviewed November 13, 2006

We really enjoyed this resort and intend to return. The place is well run and extremely clean. The food, at all venues, was better than to be expected. The only down side, was the conduct from some of our neighbors 'to the north'. Unfortunately, it seems that there was a huge entourage from Edmonton in evidence, who insisted upon using the "f-word" as a noun, pro-noun, adjective, adverb, etc. Otherwise, it was an enjoyable vacation.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple