“Not for 20 something's”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Alberta
“Not for 20 something's”
Reviewed November 14, 2006

Well I visited this resort the first week of November and it was not very busy at all which was nice. But by the time we left it was started to get packed and you had to wait in line at the Buffet. I am in my 20's was with my boyfriend who is also in his 20's and this was our first time to Mexico and were not impressed. I found this resort to be more focused on kids and middle aged people. At night there was nothing to do and everything shut down around 11 pm. We couldn't go out and hang out with other people our age because the music bar that was available was very low key and not what we were looking for.

Our villas were exceptional except that our beds were rock hard, they had no give to them at all, my boyfriend and me were constantly in pain from the bed, we would wake up with sore backs and necks. We stayed on the bottom floor of the three storey villas and they were very echoey you could hear everything if anybody was out there you could hear them it was very annoying. Our T.V was horrible we only got one channel that was partially english so if there wasn't a movie on at night that was in english we had to go to bed cause there was nothing else to do.

The pools were amazing we spend most of our time by the pools because they were so roomy and never crowded you could always find a lounge chair. The swim up bar was amazing but trying to tell the bartender what you wanted to drink was a little problem I would definitely recommend spanish lessons it makes things so much easier. Even though most of the staff know a little english knowing spanish goes a long way in the end.

The food was terrible the only place we found that was moderately good was the snack bar by the activity pool. All the rest was horrible and we were scared to eat any of the food, it was usually picked through and cold. Not alot of options if you have allergies to foods. The juice's were all fresh which is great except if you are used to our juices up here that are full of sugar. The pop at the buffet was flat no matter how many times I ordered it still flat. We drank alot of water and beer cause they seemed very consistent. We went to one a la carte restaurant which was a good change not very big portions though. I got a mexican coffee I would totally recommend getting one of these very good and as a added bonus they make it right in front of you.

The beach was horrible we only spent one day there because of the shore line was filled with rocks and coral and they were very sharp. Once you get into the water its filled with rocks and boulders so be careful not to cut your feet. It felt like your feet were bleeding when you walked in I would recommend water shoes as a must. The water was very salty as well you had to have a shower right after getting out of shower cause your skin was gritty from the water.

We were part of the golden club so we had a massage included it was amazing totally worth it right down by the beach. Its only 30 minutes but it feels like an hour.

Activities we only left the resort twice cause it was such problem trying to get one of those van's to stop and you had to cross the highway to get to some of them very dangerous. We went to Xel-Ha for a day and got there early in the morning and got the all inclusive pass so everything was included which was nice. We decided to go on the river, well if you are like most people you would think it has a current so you wouldn't have to do much swimming you just sit on the tube and go down the river. Not at all getting into the tube and getting out of the mangrove that was covering the beginning of the river was horrible and there is big signs that say don't touch the mangrove well there is no possible way you have to touch it your tube goes right into it. After you finally get your self free start paddling cause there is no current and we had to paddle all the way back to the stairs I was so tired after that I didn't want to do anything. We went snorkeling which was ok not that many fish though and once you get to the floating
bridge be aware that the fish get more populated and much bigger so if you are not comfortable around fish don't get close to the floating bridge.

Playa del Carman was ok a typical shopping trip with lots of shops in a very long street you will get hasseled when you get on this street so be forewarned to ignore it.

Overall we would not come back to this resort it just did not have the night life we were looking for and there was no 20 something's anywhere and lots of kids that were loud. Way to far away from Cancun and the bus rides were not that great.

• Liked — The pools
  • Disliked — beds, beach, food
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy water shoes for the beach, and a foamy for the beds.
7 Thank coldmuffin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,623)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2006

Visited the Coba November 2 for one week. We flew Airtransat from Toronto. I know you cannot expect much from Charter Airlines today, but I was very disappointed to find the washrooms on the plane dirty. The food was a soggy half a sub from subway going and returning. Our flight times were changed twice. With regard to the resort it was excellent. Very clean, and the staff very friendly. This is our second visit to the Bahia's staying at the Tulum in January 2006. The Coba rooms are the best. They are large suites. We stayed in the Royal Golden section. The A la Cartes are all very good, we particularly enjoyed the Japanese Restaurant. We found the buffet at the Coba to be just okay, although it was better then at the Tulum. Several mornings we went for breakfast and there was no bacon. Also the couple of times we ate dinner at the buffet there was no one cooking the meat fresh. They had precooked steak, chicken and fish and they were on platters. We travel quite often and at other resorts they would have a chef carving a roast fresh for the dinner. If you are looking for a unique keepsake from the Mayan Riviera there is a gentleman in the Lobby of the Coba, his name is Edwardo. He does not stand out at all, and we only discovered him on the last day. He will make a Mayan Calendar showing your birthday, or some other special occassion. It is really nice, and the money goes toward helping the children in the area. The cost for this was only $20.00 for each calendar, and we had a few made to give as gifts.

• Liked — New, modern, clean
  • Disliked — no oceanview at this property
  • Tips/Secrets — dont miss the mexican fiesta night at the Hacinenda, and check out handmade Mayan Calendars
9 Thank Neys
WI
Reviewed November 13, 2006

We really enjoyed this resort and intend to return. The place is well run and extremely clean. The food, at all venues, was better than to be expected. The only down side, was the conduct from some of our neighbors 'to the north'. Unfortunately, it seems that there was a huge entourage from Edmonton in evidence, who insisted upon using the "f-word" as a noun, pro-noun, adjective, adverb, etc. Otherwise, it was an enjoyable vacation.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VonnyS12
Toronto
Reviewed November 12, 2006

My girlfriend and I travelled to this amazing resort from August 5-12. 2006. We read tons of reviews before going, and were excited to see if all the postive reviews could be true...and to our surprise they were surpassed!
I had emailed Jorge Garcia (nicest man ever) a couple of weeks before travelling to the Bahia Principe Coba, to set up some a la carte dinners, as well as a 3rd level room, he responded to every email I sent him, and upon our arrival, he personally came up to my girlfriend and I with all of our A la Carte reservations, as well as a reserved room on the 3rd floor!! He checked up on us for the whole week and just made the trip that much better. I don't think he sleeps, but that man has to be commended for the service he provides to all of the hotel guests.

I have been to all inclusives through out the Carribean, and this is by far my favorite, the resort is massive and takes about a day to get your bearings, the trams are convenient picking you up anywhere throughout the resort, the food was great, the beach is nice, there is some coral visible so water shoes come in very handy, snorkelling was great, I honestly could have not asked for a nicer resort for the price.

The Bahia Principe had such an impression on us that we are heading to the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana for a week at New Years, and will be coming back to the Coba again at some point in 2007. I really have nothing negative to say about resort, this vacation was the best we've ever had, and we will not look anywhere else then the Bahia Principe for all of our future travels!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Richie999
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Club Golden at Gran Bahia Principe Coba from June 25 – July 9, 2006 for our honeymoon. We loved the resort and would absolutely recommend it to our friends or family members and we would definitely like to go back someday. This is a long review, just bare with me, I tried to be as thorough as possible!

I’ll get them over with and start with the negatives:

The resort is about an hour and half drive from the Cancun airport which is a hassle. It turns out to be such a long trip, be prepared to devote one day of travel each way. But I guess that’s pretty normal?

Though this has nothing to do with the resort, I feel I should let other travellers know this: We were silly enough to let a person dressed in a white golf shirt take our luggage when we went to find our bus outside of the airport. He “offered” to help us find our travel representative (we thought he worked for the airport!). It was a scheme and afterwards he demanded we pay him. We learned our lesson…

Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes! Everywhere! I got so many bites, it was just terrible. Make sure you bring plenty of bug repellent and calamine lotion/after bite lotion because it’s very expensive to buy at the Hacienda.

Many of the floors throughout the resort buildings and the floor in our hotel room were marble which is very, very slippery when wet, both of us almost bailed a few times so be cautious.

Something else that has been mentioned many times, perhaps as a negative thing (we didn’t think it was a big deal), is that the Coba resort is not ocean/beach front. This wouldn't keep me from not staying at the Coba resort especially since it's only about a ten minute walk or a five minute trolley ride.

Another thing that bothered me was that we had to pay $5 or $6 USD a day to use the room safe. I was a little annoyed when we were issued an $80 USD bill at the end of our stay, especially since this is a five star, all-inclusive resort. It’s not like one can just leave or hide her jewellery, ID, money, plane tickets and passport just in the room hoping that someone doesn’t take anything or break in.

FYI:
Some of the villas face onto the highway, immediately after I found that out, I called our travel agent and requested a room that did not face, overlook or back onto the highway, I didn't even want the highway in sight. So she called and requested it and we didn't end up anywhere near the highway.

The Positives:

Everything else! The resort is just massive which was wonderful! It took us a long time to get bored (we were there for two weeks, it was bound to happen).

We checked in at the Club Golden Lobby (it’s a private lobby for those staying, or should I say paying, for the Club Golden package) and it did not take long at all. Maybe five minutes at the most, we didn’t have to wait in any lines and were served with drinks upon arrival. Our luggage was then loaded onto a golf cart and we hopped on and were driven to our villa doorstep. There is also free internet access for those staying at the Club Golden. We were on the computers every day emailing home.

Our room was beautiful and nicely decorated. We stayed in Villa 5b on the third floor. The room was very spacious and had a large Jacuzzi in the bathroom. The mini bar was restocked every day. We had bathrobes in our room. The king size bed was so comfortable and we slept sound. There is satellite TV though we found there weren’t that many channels, let alone English channels.

All of the hotel staff was very friendly and they work very hard! Our cleaning lady did an amazing job when she did clean our room. She left towel animals on our bed for us. Just be sure to tip! We tipped about $2 or $3 when we did have our room cleaned which was only every few days. The bartenders were prompt with drinks and the service at the restaurants was amazing.

The grounds were beautiful and well kept. There were always workers mowing the lawn or trimming the bushes or sweeping the pathways. Like I said before, the resort is huge and it took us few days to figure out where everything was.

The pools, my favourite part of the resort! If you are looking for a resort with many pools and jacuzzis, go to this resort. Since there are two other sister hotels on the property, there are a lot of pools and small jacuzzis to choose from, we had a jacuzzi out front of our hotel room. We like the quiet pool in the Coba section the best, however, the Akumal pool outside of the main lobby is beautiful too, it is just huge and is ocean front! The pools were beautiful, I have no complaints about them!

The restaurants were great and so was the food! There definitely are a lot of restaurants to choose from which is nice because we didn’t try the same one twice (except for the Mikado and Tequilla, we loved those two). There were many a la carts restaurants, we got four per week. The service at the restaurants is amazing, very classy. The food was delicious and the employees were so nice. The drinks were good too, all over the resort they were very consistent.

There are three main buffets for the resort complex and few smaller ones too. We ate every morning at the Kukulkan. We didn’t get there until about 10 am most mornings and there really wasn’t much left to choose from so get there early, like before 9 am. The dinners were good there too. We ate at all three buffets and we liked the buffet at the Tulum section of the resort the best. There was more of a variety of food there, stuff we hadn’t tried at the Kukulkan.

The nightly entertainment at the resort was good, but not amazing. After being there for two weeks, there is only so much to do before we got bored. I loved the Cats performance and we both really enjoyed the Michael Jackson impersonator. It would have been nice if the pools were open at night and were lit up. We enjoyed getting dressed up and going out for dinner at night.

At the entrance of the resort there is a shopping complex called the Hacienda. Some of the prices were reasonable but we found the prices were better in Playa del Carmen along fifth because for the most part, you can barter.

The beach was really nice, white and sandy in some places but there is a coral reef and it is very rocky in some places. The beach at the Tulum ruins was so beautiful, white and sandy and the water was crystal clear and after seeing that beach, I was a little disappointed with our resort beach after seeing it. We went snorkelling a few times, there were so many fish!

FYI:
It’s best to go the hacienda and see what you want to buy and check out the prices, then go to Playa del Carmen and barter, generally you can barter the price down significantly if you know much an item should be. We learned the hard way and overpaid for some things the first time we went to Playa del Carmen.

Tips:

We didn't take a taxi anywhere. It was too expensive. Instead we took the collectivos (white vans that are run by the same company the taxis are run by). It cost 20 pessos per person each way, which is not much considering a taxi ride to Playa del Carmen costs $25 USD each way! There are no schedules or stops but the collectivos come every ten minutes or so, just stand along the side of the highway. We took a collectivo to Playa del Carmen, twice, the Tulum Ruins and Xel-Ha and got to and from each place safely. I was leery when I heard about these vans but they are totally safe. The drivers on the other hand…

Leave all jewellery locked up in the safe, my hubby lost his wedding band two days into our honeymoon at the beach…

As for excursions, we didn't do any through the hotel, the prices were much higher. The resort offers a Xel-Ha package for $89 USD per person. Considering Xel-Ha isn't even a ten minute drive from the resort, it's not worth it. We paid $59 per person for Xel-Ha and 20 pessos each way per person for the collectivo and we saved money. Unless you are going somewhere that is further out like Chichen Itza or the Coba ruins don't book your day trips through the resort.

The only excursion we really went on was to Xel-Ha. I really did not enjoy myself but husband had a lot of fun. We didn’t get there until after 1pm…way too late as it closes at 5:30. Get there first thing in the morning so you have time to be there all day and really get your moneys worth! We got the all inclusive pass and it wasn’t worth it. The snorkelling there isn’t much better then that at the hotel either. And it was so busy and packed. The jungle is amazing though and was something to see, the trees, the cenotes, the underground cave and the grotto, very cool. I would not recommend going on the tubing channel, it was such a waste of time; it took over an hour, close to two hours actually! The “cliff jumping” wasn’t that impressive either. It was like jumping off a ledge for me (it wasn’t higher than a high diving board really). You can go cliff jumping without going down the lame river ride.

We also went to the Tulum ruins. There is so much history there. We didn’t pay for a guided tour but I would recommend that you do because we didn’t know what we were looking at. The beach at Tulum is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life. Not a rock on the beach, clear, crystal blue waters and white sandy beaches. Just beautiful!

Don't buy anything at the Cancun airport, it's ridiculously expensive and try to eat before you leave, the lines at the food court were so long. We didn't get to the airport until about 1:30 pm and our flight left at 4:30 and there were no window seats or extra leg room seats left and we had to sit in the middle which my husband found to be very cramped. If you are particular about where and who you sit with, I suggest you pay the fee and reserve your seats ahead of time.

Overall, it was a fantasitic vacation. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone! You will thoroughly enjoy your time here. There is lots to do at the resort and in the area.

• Liked — The pools, the food, the hotel room, the fact that the resort is so huge there are so many things to do!
  • Disliked — The distance from the airport
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
25 Thank belle777
St Catharines
Reviewed November 11, 2006

Arrived Nov 5 booked with signature.
flight was great.
Our signature rep (--). she told us to go the premiere lobby for our 10:30 am meeting and did not tell anyone that the meeting was at the other building. This is just 1 of the many issues with this person.
The hotel was great well kept rooms and grounds The trams to the beach were nice.
Just so ya know I am not a picky person we do travel a lot 1-3 times a year for the past 10 years.
The food (--).
For a resort of this rating I did expect more then basic food. A La Carte meals were good.
I would give this resort a 3 star for food.

A big word of caution this is a first for us and both of us needed cipro. so called filtered water made us sick.
I am sure I got it from the Mexican A La Carte one as the water tasted kind of funny but after the second gulp it was too late. Many people here did get sick as well.

• Liked — place was very clean
  • Disliked — food sucked
  • Tips/Secrets — You can save lots by not taking tours go on your own more fun IMO
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank billsmooth
victoria
Reviewed November 11, 2006

My wife and I just spent a week at the coba side of the resort and it was outstanding. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We booked our A la cartes the first night and then went to the buffet. We were amazed at how well the kukulcan buffet is set up and the food in there is very good. Our A la cartes were all excellent and the waiters were quick with anything we wanted. We booked several excursions through the hotel and they all worked out well and were fun and informative. The drivers were there on time and fun was had by all. Our room was comfortable and clean. Our mini bar packed it in and they had a new one brought in. The grounds are well kept and the staff are all friendly. The beaches are sandy with some coral mixed in so beach shoes are recommended(by me!) There are so many things to do there it is impossible to do them all in a week so we are hoping to book again. This is not a spot for singles however that doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy this resort. We found the town of Tulum more fun and easy for souvenir shopping than Playa del Carmen. Coba tour was fun.

• Liked — cleanliness, service, food
  • Disliked — the toilet seats all fall forward when you sit down!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — birth certificate and official picture ID required to travel to Mexico(orPassport)
7 Thank julsco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#50 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!