“Loved the place”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
WI
“Loved the place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2006

We really enjoyed this resort and intend to return. The place is well run and extremely clean. The food, at all venues, was better than to be expected. The only down side, was the conduct from some of our neighbors 'to the north'. Unfortunately, it seems that there was a huge entourage from Edmonton in evidence, who insisted upon using the "f-word" as a noun, pro-noun, adjective, adverb, etc. Otherwise, it was an enjoyable vacation.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VonnyS12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,580)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2006

My girlfriend and I travelled to this amazing resort from August 5-12. 2006. We read tons of reviews before going, and were excited to see if all the postive reviews could be true...and to our surprise they were surpassed!
I had emailed Jorge Garcia (nicest man ever) a couple of weeks before travelling to the Bahia Principe Coba, to set up some a la carte dinners, as well as a 3rd level room, he responded to every email I sent him, and upon our arrival, he personally came up to my girlfriend and I with all of our A la Carte reservations, as well as a reserved room on the 3rd floor!! He checked up on us for the whole week and just made the trip that much better. I don't think he sleeps, but that man has to be commended for the service he provides to all of the hotel guests.

I have been to all inclusives through out the Carribean, and this is by far my favorite, the resort is massive and takes about a day to get your bearings, the trams are convenient picking you up anywhere throughout the resort, the food was great, the beach is nice, there is some coral visible so water shoes come in very handy, snorkelling was great, I honestly could have not asked for a nicer resort for the price.

The Bahia Principe had such an impression on us that we are heading to the Bahia Principe in Punta Cana for a week at New Years, and will be coming back to the Coba again at some point in 2007. I really have nothing negative to say about resort, this vacation was the best we've ever had, and we will not look anywhere else then the Bahia Principe for all of our future travels!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Richie999
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Club Golden at Gran Bahia Principe Coba from June 25 – July 9, 2006 for our honeymoon. We loved the resort and would absolutely recommend it to our friends or family members and we would definitely like to go back someday. This is a long review, just bare with me, I tried to be as thorough as possible!

I’ll get them over with and start with the negatives:

The resort is about an hour and half drive from the Cancun airport which is a hassle. It turns out to be such a long trip, be prepared to devote one day of travel each way. But I guess that’s pretty normal?

Though this has nothing to do with the resort, I feel I should let other travellers know this: We were silly enough to let a person dressed in a white golf shirt take our luggage when we went to find our bus outside of the airport. He “offered” to help us find our travel representative (we thought he worked for the airport!). It was a scheme and afterwards he demanded we pay him. We learned our lesson…

Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes! Everywhere! I got so many bites, it was just terrible. Make sure you bring plenty of bug repellent and calamine lotion/after bite lotion because it’s very expensive to buy at the Hacienda.

Many of the floors throughout the resort buildings and the floor in our hotel room were marble which is very, very slippery when wet, both of us almost bailed a few times so be cautious.

Something else that has been mentioned many times, perhaps as a negative thing (we didn’t think it was a big deal), is that the Coba resort is not ocean/beach front. This wouldn't keep me from not staying at the Coba resort especially since it's only about a ten minute walk or a five minute trolley ride.

Another thing that bothered me was that we had to pay $5 or $6 USD a day to use the room safe. I was a little annoyed when we were issued an $80 USD bill at the end of our stay, especially since this is a five star, all-inclusive resort. It’s not like one can just leave or hide her jewellery, ID, money, plane tickets and passport just in the room hoping that someone doesn’t take anything or break in.

FYI:
Some of the villas face onto the highway, immediately after I found that out, I called our travel agent and requested a room that did not face, overlook or back onto the highway, I didn't even want the highway in sight. So she called and requested it and we didn't end up anywhere near the highway.

The Positives:

Everything else! The resort is just massive which was wonderful! It took us a long time to get bored (we were there for two weeks, it was bound to happen).

We checked in at the Club Golden Lobby (it’s a private lobby for those staying, or should I say paying, for the Club Golden package) and it did not take long at all. Maybe five minutes at the most, we didn’t have to wait in any lines and were served with drinks upon arrival. Our luggage was then loaded onto a golf cart and we hopped on and were driven to our villa doorstep. There is also free internet access for those staying at the Club Golden. We were on the computers every day emailing home.

Our room was beautiful and nicely decorated. We stayed in Villa 5b on the third floor. The room was very spacious and had a large Jacuzzi in the bathroom. The mini bar was restocked every day. We had bathrobes in our room. The king size bed was so comfortable and we slept sound. There is satellite TV though we found there weren’t that many channels, let alone English channels.

All of the hotel staff was very friendly and they work very hard! Our cleaning lady did an amazing job when she did clean our room. She left towel animals on our bed for us. Just be sure to tip! We tipped about $2 or $3 when we did have our room cleaned which was only every few days. The bartenders were prompt with drinks and the service at the restaurants was amazing.

The grounds were beautiful and well kept. There were always workers mowing the lawn or trimming the bushes or sweeping the pathways. Like I said before, the resort is huge and it took us few days to figure out where everything was.

The pools, my favourite part of the resort! If you are looking for a resort with many pools and jacuzzis, go to this resort. Since there are two other sister hotels on the property, there are a lot of pools and small jacuzzis to choose from, we had a jacuzzi out front of our hotel room. We like the quiet pool in the Coba section the best, however, the Akumal pool outside of the main lobby is beautiful too, it is just huge and is ocean front! The pools were beautiful, I have no complaints about them!

The restaurants were great and so was the food! There definitely are a lot of restaurants to choose from which is nice because we didn’t try the same one twice (except for the Mikado and Tequilla, we loved those two). There were many a la carts restaurants, we got four per week. The service at the restaurants is amazing, very classy. The food was delicious and the employees were so nice. The drinks were good too, all over the resort they were very consistent.

There are three main buffets for the resort complex and few smaller ones too. We ate every morning at the Kukulkan. We didn’t get there until about 10 am most mornings and there really wasn’t much left to choose from so get there early, like before 9 am. The dinners were good there too. We ate at all three buffets and we liked the buffet at the Tulum section of the resort the best. There was more of a variety of food there, stuff we hadn’t tried at the Kukulkan.

The nightly entertainment at the resort was good, but not amazing. After being there for two weeks, there is only so much to do before we got bored. I loved the Cats performance and we both really enjoyed the Michael Jackson impersonator. It would have been nice if the pools were open at night and were lit up. We enjoyed getting dressed up and going out for dinner at night.

At the entrance of the resort there is a shopping complex called the Hacienda. Some of the prices were reasonable but we found the prices were better in Playa del Carmen along fifth because for the most part, you can barter.

The beach was really nice, white and sandy in some places but there is a coral reef and it is very rocky in some places. The beach at the Tulum ruins was so beautiful, white and sandy and the water was crystal clear and after seeing that beach, I was a little disappointed with our resort beach after seeing it. We went snorkelling a few times, there were so many fish!

FYI:
It’s best to go the hacienda and see what you want to buy and check out the prices, then go to Playa del Carmen and barter, generally you can barter the price down significantly if you know much an item should be. We learned the hard way and overpaid for some things the first time we went to Playa del Carmen.

Tips:

We didn't take a taxi anywhere. It was too expensive. Instead we took the collectivos (white vans that are run by the same company the taxis are run by). It cost 20 pessos per person each way, which is not much considering a taxi ride to Playa del Carmen costs $25 USD each way! There are no schedules or stops but the collectivos come every ten minutes or so, just stand along the side of the highway. We took a collectivo to Playa del Carmen, twice, the Tulum Ruins and Xel-Ha and got to and from each place safely. I was leery when I heard about these vans but they are totally safe. The drivers on the other hand…

Leave all jewellery locked up in the safe, my hubby lost his wedding band two days into our honeymoon at the beach…

As for excursions, we didn't do any through the hotel, the prices were much higher. The resort offers a Xel-Ha package for $89 USD per person. Considering Xel-Ha isn't even a ten minute drive from the resort, it's not worth it. We paid $59 per person for Xel-Ha and 20 pessos each way per person for the collectivo and we saved money. Unless you are going somewhere that is further out like Chichen Itza or the Coba ruins don't book your day trips through the resort.

The only excursion we really went on was to Xel-Ha. I really did not enjoy myself but husband had a lot of fun. We didn’t get there until after 1pm…way too late as it closes at 5:30. Get there first thing in the morning so you have time to be there all day and really get your moneys worth! We got the all inclusive pass and it wasn’t worth it. The snorkelling there isn’t much better then that at the hotel either. And it was so busy and packed. The jungle is amazing though and was something to see, the trees, the cenotes, the underground cave and the grotto, very cool. I would not recommend going on the tubing channel, it was such a waste of time; it took over an hour, close to two hours actually! The “cliff jumping” wasn’t that impressive either. It was like jumping off a ledge for me (it wasn’t higher than a high diving board really). You can go cliff jumping without going down the lame river ride.

We also went to the Tulum ruins. There is so much history there. We didn’t pay for a guided tour but I would recommend that you do because we didn’t know what we were looking at. The beach at Tulum is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life. Not a rock on the beach, clear, crystal blue waters and white sandy beaches. Just beautiful!

Don't buy anything at the Cancun airport, it's ridiculously expensive and try to eat before you leave, the lines at the food court were so long. We didn't get to the airport until about 1:30 pm and our flight left at 4:30 and there were no window seats or extra leg room seats left and we had to sit in the middle which my husband found to be very cramped. If you are particular about where and who you sit with, I suggest you pay the fee and reserve your seats ahead of time.

Overall, it was a fantasitic vacation. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone! You will thoroughly enjoy your time here. There is lots to do at the resort and in the area.

• Liked — The pools, the food, the hotel room, the fact that the resort is so huge there are so many things to do!
  • Disliked — The distance from the airport
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
25 Thank belle777
St Catharines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2006

Arrived Nov 5 booked with signature.
flight was great.
Our signature rep (--). she told us to go the premiere lobby for our 10:30 am meeting and did not tell anyone that the meeting was at the other building. This is just 1 of the many issues with this person.
The hotel was great well kept rooms and grounds The trams to the beach were nice.
Just so ya know I am not a picky person we do travel a lot 1-3 times a year for the past 10 years.
The food (--).
For a resort of this rating I did expect more then basic food. A La Carte meals were good.
I would give this resort a 3 star for food.

A big word of caution this is a first for us and both of us needed cipro. so called filtered water made us sick.
I am sure I got it from the Mexican A La Carte one as the water tasted kind of funny but after the second gulp it was too late. Many people here did get sick as well.

• Liked — place was very clean
  • Disliked — food sucked
  • Tips/Secrets — You can save lots by not taking tours go on your own more fun IMO
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank billsmooth
victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2006

My wife and I just spent a week at the coba side of the resort and it was outstanding. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We booked our A la cartes the first night and then went to the buffet. We were amazed at how well the kukulcan buffet is set up and the food in there is very good. Our A la cartes were all excellent and the waiters were quick with anything we wanted. We booked several excursions through the hotel and they all worked out well and were fun and informative. The drivers were there on time and fun was had by all. Our room was comfortable and clean. Our mini bar packed it in and they had a new one brought in. The grounds are well kept and the staff are all friendly. The beaches are sandy with some coral mixed in so beach shoes are recommended(by me!) There are so many things to do there it is impossible to do them all in a week so we are hoping to book again. This is not a spot for singles however that doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy this resort. We found the town of Tulum more fun and easy for souvenir shopping than Playa del Carmen. Coba tour was fun.

• Liked — cleanliness, service, food
  • Disliked — the toilet seats all fall forward when you sit down!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — birth certificate and official picture ID required to travel to Mexico(orPassport)
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank julsco
Keswick, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2006

I am a bit late at writing this review. My husband and I stayed at the Bahia Principe Coba April 18-25/06.

I have been to 4 other all inclusives and this one definitely was the nicest. We stayed in the club golden section. We didn't pay any extra for this upgrade so I can't say if it is worth the extra $$. We had a private check in/lobby, internet, massage, bathrobes, slippers, a jacuzzi, and an extra a la carte.

Room - Beautiful. Large, very modern and clean. The bathroom was huge with marble tile.

Grounds - very well kept and clean. Since the resort is fairly new the trees have a bit of maturing to do.

Pools - the pools are large and clean. I loved the jacuzzi pools.

Food - the food was decent. Always found something we liked. A huge selection.

Weather - very hot and humid. I wore a 50 suncreen and was hardly in the sun and still got burnt.

Excursions - ATV'ing - it was advertised as being in the jungle but it was mainly along the highway. If you do this trip bring your own goggles, they don't provide any and it was very dusty. We were the first to arrive and after everyone showed up (20+) they said they didn't have enough ATVs for us and wanted us to upgrade to the all day tour so they gave us 2 old ones with bald tires. Swimming in the cenotes was a good experience, nothing to see with the snorkel gear though. We were able to hold a tarantula and snake.

Tulum - we took the local transportation for $2 and went on Sunday when it was free. If you have a video recorder there is a $3 fee. It was so hot we only walked around for 10 minutes (it is a long walk in from the road) and then jumped in the ocean. It is worth seeing.

Xel-Ha - we went on Saturday when it was only $22 to get in for the basic admission, we brought our own snorkelling gear and rented a locker for $2. We shared a taxi with another couple, only $15. We spent the entire day at the park and didn't see everything. If you are brave enough, try jumping off the cliff when river tubing. Well worth the money.

Beach - very crowded. We only went once for a bit of snorkelling.

Service - the staff were friendly and most spoke good english.

Resort - the place is huge but the trams run frequently. One day after an excursion we were really tired and sun burnt and the tram took us directly to our room,. $1 goes a long way.

Entertainment - the Michael Jackson show was funny. The other shows weren't too bad for a resort. The entertainment area has a very nice layout. We would sit on the outside at the tables complete with service. We never went to the entertainment at the Hacienda, I was too tired after being in the heat all day.

I would highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Remember that your vacation is what you make of it, don't let the little things ruin it for you.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
21 Thank Sunseeker11
Aurora, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2006

My husband and I read a lot of reviews of different hotels before planning our 10th anniversary trip. It was 4 days before our vacation and we still hadn't found anything. Finally a last minute deal came up in the Mayan Riviera at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba. I can't say enough good things about this place. It is a HUGE place but shuttles run frequently to take you where you want to go. We stayed from Oct 9-Oct 16. My hubby managed to get a couple of days worth of diving in. The dive centre is located on the Coba Beach near the Akumal lobby which was convenient. Our junior suite room was lovely. Special touches were added each day such as various animals on our bed made out of the bath towels. The mini bar was stocked all the time and it was included in our AI package. There are so many pools and a few gyms (which I used once while hubby was diving). The weather was so hot and the sun was intense so bring lots of sunscreen. The water is purified in the hotel so I had no gastro trouble at all. The staff are so friendly and willing to please. Most of the staff speak English but we brought our Spanish phrase book. They appreciate it when you try to speak the language. There is entertainment each night and during the day by the pools. Now....the food. FABULOUS and plentiful. We ate so much. There is something for everyone and it does not get boring at all as they offer different varieties of items each day. We also tried 3 a la carte restaurants. Our favourite was the Mediterraneo. The service made me feel like a queen. The whole property is impeccably kept with workers maintaining everthing each day. It was a wonderful, relaxing 10th anniversary trip. TIP: We read someone's tip to bring lots of $1.00US bills with us so we changed up $30 into single bills. Well now I know why. All the staff work incredibly hard to please the guests from the bartenders, waiters, housekeeping and belhops. I was told they make an average of about $70US a week. If you like the service, slip them a dollar or two and the service you receive next time will be even better. They are very appreciative. Leave a buck or two in the middle of the week for housekeeping and you might find chocolates and heart shaped balloons on your bed like we did. CHOOSE THE GRAN BAHIA PRINCIPE-You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — cleanliness, service and FOOD
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring small bills for tips
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
38 Thank emdav
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,575 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!