We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks between 6 & 20 April. We had our reservations about the size of the hotel but actually found that in many ways it was a bonus, more choice etc. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were very well looked after.
1 - The hotel room was lovely, at times not cleaned very well (toilet was not always cleaned, glasses not replaced) but this did not spoil our stay at the hotel. It had the biggest bed I have every seen and a small table and sofa and plenty of hanging space.
2 - The food and the service in the a la carte restaurants was superb. We ate at the Mexican, Don Pablo, Le Gourmet, Mikado & Portofino, which were all very different and all first class. The only restaurant we did not enjoy was the Mediterranean, where the service was poor and there was little atmosphere.
3 - The food in the buffet restaurants was of a high standard and with plenty to choose from. The service was also very good. We mostly ate at the premier buffet which was a little more intimate but with less choice, but on occasion we did try the main buffet and had lunch at the akumal buffet looking out over the beach. One comment I would make, which we also heard many times from different people, was that the food was not always as hot as it could have been, which is a shame because the quality was outstanding. We tended to go for many of the dishes that were freshly prepared for you like the pasta & fried eggs or omelette to ensure it was hot.
4 - The pools around all 3 hotels are lovely and all very different, giving you far more choice than many hotels. We preferred the quieter premiere pool but did find that it was very difficult to get a sun bed with shade if you did not ‘reserve’ a bed before 6.30 am, which was far too early for us. We went down just before 8 am and always managed to get a couple of beds which we put under a tree if we wanted a bit of shade. We then went off for breakfast and came back within half an hour but we did notice many beds were empty until nearly lunch time. You can always move peoples stuff off, which we did see people doing and good luck to them, but we don’t go on holiday to have an argument over beds, which we also saw a few times.
5 - We did find that at all times staff were friendly, efficient and hard working, whether you tipped them or not. We took dollar bills because it was difficult to get small Pesso notes and each day left $2 for the maid and $1 for the guy who filled up the fridge. We also left $2 at meal times but many people didn’t tip and got just as good service, so we didn’t feel pressured to tip at all. We tended to use Pesso to buy things as it worked out cheaper.
6 – The beach was ok, we have been to Florida and the Caribbean a few times so it wasn’t the best beach we’ve been to. One of the disadvantages is that you can only go out to about waist high as there are ‘breakers’ stopping you, which are understandably there for obvious reasons but are not nice to look at, saying that though they are good fun to try to sit on without the waves pushing you off! We were there for 14 days and the red flag was up every day so we could not use any of the free water sports, which was disappointing. The beach is 3 minutes walk from the premiere lobby and no more than 10 from most rooms but you can get the little bus which takes you all the way there. We tended to go after lunch and always managed to get shade and a couple of beds.
7 – We were pleasantly surprised at how many English and other Europeans were there, probably up to 40% with the rest mainly Canadian and a few Americans thrown in for good measure, but the accents are so similar it was difficult to tell most of the time. Everyone was friendly and we talked to lots of people who were all really friendly but we did find that on occasion the large family groups of Canadian’s, possibly wedding groups, were quite loud, which didn’t bother us, they were on holiday having fun but it may not be to everyone’s liking. One group had been drinking all day and then all stood on the swim up bar in the premiere pool for a photo and broke the tiles. There was an ugly seen between them and some American guests so the bar was closed early. But apart from that we didn’t see any trouble.
8- We didn’t go out much, but did go to Akumal beach (5 minutes away) using the little white mini bus you can get from the Hesienda for $3, here you can loan (for free) from a conservation hut, swimming vests for both adult and children so that you can snorkel to see the fish and the turtles and they also give you free advice on the best spots. We also went to Playa de Carmen which we found very expensive but nice to see, that was also $3 and took half and hour or so. The mini buses have air conditioning and seat belts and are in very good condition. We expected the local bus to be run down and cramped but not at all.
9 - The entertainment was good and again it was nice to have the choice of 3 different hotels. There was a show on every night in each hotel and also a live band in each hotel playing decent enough music that you could dance to.
There are so few English reviews on this site that I thought it worth while spending a bit of time writing one as I found the reviews helpful when we were thinking of booking. We would definitely consider returning to the hotel in the future and would not hesitate to recommend it to family and friends, but if you like small and intimate then it may not be the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico