“Really Nice Hotel.....”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Carshalton, United Kingdom
“Really Nice Hotel.....”
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks between 6 & 20 April. We had our reservations about the size of the hotel but actually found that in many ways it was a bonus, more choice etc. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were very well looked after.

1 - The hotel room was lovely, at times not cleaned very well (toilet was not always cleaned, glasses not replaced) but this did not spoil our stay at the hotel. It had the biggest bed I have every seen and a small table and sofa and plenty of hanging space.

2 - The food and the service in the a la carte restaurants was superb. We ate at the Mexican, Don Pablo, Le Gourmet, Mikado & Portofino, which were all very different and all first class. The only restaurant we did not enjoy was the Mediterranean, where the service was poor and there was little atmosphere.

3 - The food in the buffet restaurants was of a high standard and with plenty to choose from. The service was also very good. We mostly ate at the premier buffet which was a little more intimate but with less choice, but on occasion we did try the main buffet and had lunch at the akumal buffet looking out over the beach. One comment I would make, which we also heard many times from different people, was that the food was not always as hot as it could have been, which is a shame because the quality was outstanding. We tended to go for many of the dishes that were freshly prepared for you like the pasta & fried eggs or omelette to ensure it was hot.

4 - The pools around all 3 hotels are lovely and all very different, giving you far more choice than many hotels. We preferred the quieter premiere pool but did find that it was very difficult to get a sun bed with shade if you did not ‘reserve’ a bed before 6.30 am, which was far too early for us. We went down just before 8 am and always managed to get a couple of beds which we put under a tree if we wanted a bit of shade. We then went off for breakfast and came back within half an hour but we did notice many beds were empty until nearly lunch time. You can always move peoples stuff off, which we did see people doing and good luck to them, but we don’t go on holiday to have an argument over beds, which we also saw a few times.

5 - We did find that at all times staff were friendly, efficient and hard working, whether you tipped them or not. We took dollar bills because it was difficult to get small Pesso notes and each day left $2 for the maid and $1 for the guy who filled up the fridge. We also left $2 at meal times but many people didn’t tip and got just as good service, so we didn’t feel pressured to tip at all. We tended to use Pesso to buy things as it worked out cheaper.

6 – The beach was ok, we have been to Florida and the Caribbean a few times so it wasn’t the best beach we’ve been to. One of the disadvantages is that you can only go out to about waist high as there are ‘breakers’ stopping you, which are understandably there for obvious reasons but are not nice to look at, saying that though they are good fun to try to sit on without the waves pushing you off! We were there for 14 days and the red flag was up every day so we could not use any of the free water sports, which was disappointing. The beach is 3 minutes walk from the premiere lobby and no more than 10 from most rooms but you can get the little bus which takes you all the way there. We tended to go after lunch and always managed to get shade and a couple of beds.

7 – We were pleasantly surprised at how many English and other Europeans were there, probably up to 40% with the rest mainly Canadian and a few Americans thrown in for good measure, but the accents are so similar it was difficult to tell most of the time. Everyone was friendly and we talked to lots of people who were all really friendly but we did find that on occasion the large family groups of Canadian’s, possibly wedding groups, were quite loud, which didn’t bother us, they were on holiday having fun but it may not be to everyone’s liking. One group had been drinking all day and then all stood on the swim up bar in the premiere pool for a photo and broke the tiles. There was an ugly seen between them and some American guests so the bar was closed early. But apart from that we didn’t see any trouble.

8- We didn’t go out much, but did go to Akumal beach (5 minutes away) using the little white mini bus you can get from the Hesienda for $3, here you can loan (for free) from a conservation hut, swimming vests for both adult and children so that you can snorkel to see the fish and the turtles and they also give you free advice on the best spots. We also went to Playa de Carmen which we found very expensive but nice to see, that was also $3 and took half and hour or so. The mini buses have air conditioning and seat belts and are in very good condition. We expected the local bus to be run down and cramped but not at all.

9 - The entertainment was good and again it was nice to have the choice of 3 different hotels. There was a show on every night in each hotel and also a live band in each hotel playing decent enough music that you could dance to.

There are so few English reviews on this site that I thought it worth while spending a bit of time writing one as I found the reviews helpful when we were thinking of booking. We would definitely consider returning to the hotel in the future and would not hesitate to recommend it to family and friends, but if you like small and intimate then it may not be the place for you.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
14 Thank tingley2016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,623)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
MAINE
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Gran Bahia Principe in Akumal Mexico was without doubt, one of the best places I have ever vacationed at. From 4/4/09 through 4/11/09 each day was filled with new experiences and endless opportunies to learn about the Mexican and Mayan culture. This resort was truly appealing to all the senses. The color scheme was just breath taking from the moment you entered the resort. The landscaping was well designed so that each resort at the GBP had its own look but blended well within the resort as a whole. Sculptures in each if the lobbies were unique in size and symbolic of the Mayan heritage. Very beautiful!
Food was wonderful; choices were plentiful and always fresh. Buffett or Ala carte, you can’t go wrong. I was very impressed with the waiters. Always smiling and willing to help with every request made. I loved the atmosphere created by being served with such warm hospitality. It truly made each evening special.
Music throughout the resort was beautiful and relaxing, BUT! If anyone wanted something with a beat it was not far to be found at one of the pools or lounges. Lots of fun here and each pool offered it’s on attraction. My favorite pool was the one at the Akumal. Very tropical but close to the beach.
Paella’s by the pool are an experience in its self. They looked soooooo good!! I watched them set it up, smelled the food cooking and at the last minute on each I was pulled away by some circumstance and ended up missing them. As they say in Mexico “JA JA another excuse for me to come back!!”
Beach was unbelievable! Water was so clear; it was like being in a pool. Sunrises were amazing and worth getting up for. Highly recommend getting up for at least one. There is nothing like walking on the beach early in the morning and watching the sun come up. You have the whole beach to yourself. Very peaceful and serene. It doesn’t matter if it’s coffee, tea, mimosa or strait up orange juice you toast the new day with, as long as you toast it with a good attitude, your day is going to be fantastic!  Only suggestion I have is to bring a sweatshirt or light weight jacket if you chill easily. Early in the morning it can be a little chilly on the beach but passes as soon as the sunrises.
When out and about on the three beaches, take time to explore all they offer. Enjoy the walks and scenery. By doing this, I saw some really cool things. A nice and unexpected surprise was a sand sculpture be made of the Chichen Itza Pyramid, very impressive!. The gentleman making it was very kind and let me take a picture. I also saw some really cool art work in the sand. Beautiful heart made from I believe coral or rocks from the sea. Really neat and awesome cover picture for the album! The coral along the beach was beautiful in the way it looked and felt. Each peace was so unique its own way.
So Amigos!!! Slow the pace down a bit, enjoy the walk and you may get some really cool pictures and memories to match.
Traveled with a group of 29 awesome people. We all had a great time due to some very throural planning by the organizer who is also a good friend to everyone in our group. Awesome job on his part and much appreciated by all. Jaydee, Muchas Muchas Gracias!  Let me know if you ever open a travel agency!!

Have to give Claudia (public relations manager for GBP) high remarks as well; she went way above and beyond as public relations manager to assist us in our request. Very sweet and very kind!! Don’t forget to tip or bring a small gift for your pubic relation manager. You may not see them much but they are working behind the scene to make sure your stay is one to remember.
Ok some helpful information. Direct flight is the way to go. When filling out the customs forms on the plane make sure to fill out both sides and sign it. You will be held up at the airport if you do not.
Arrive in the early morning, so you have the day to explore and get to know your way around. See if you can pre book your ala cartes meals to save time and get your request in early. Tip well and the kindness will be returned. It is never expected but truly appreciated by the employees throughout the resort. If you go off the resort… you will understand why this tip money means so much.
Rooms are relaxing and spacious. No complaints here. Maids always have a smile and it’s so fun to leave a tip for them. Incredible towel artwork to greet you on your return and I was always left beautiful flowers to enjoy along with bottles of Champaign and wine.
Make sure to wear sunscreen on your body and lips as well!! The sun is much stronger here and I saw a few paying the price, Abreva ( bring from home) works well if your lips get burned.
Sunscreen lotion # 15 worked well but we did apply it twice. Bring it from home as well…. Very expensive here. It cost from 18.99 to 40.00 dollars on the resort.
No problem getting loungers by the pool or beach if you are out and about by 7:00 am. If you like sunrises you will have first choice :-)
Plays... You have to see Michael Jackson... this guy is good!
Ala Cartes… Mikado was my favorite. Awesome show while food is being prepared. Next time there I want to try Gran Tortuga. Heard a lot of good things about this place from the group.
Going to Akumal Bay... take the taxi... Collectivo will drop you off on the highway and it is a not the best walking conditions. Taxi will drop you off right at the bay. If in a group they have taxi vans for 12 to 14 people, LOL.. or more depending on how crazy you are :-) Only in Mexico!!
Tours, if you are in good health and don’t mind a lot of walking you have to try the Coba Mayan Encounter. http://www.travelservicesakumal.com/tours/view.php?pag=7&category=4 This was sent to me by the organizer of our group. Jaydee again, :-) MUCHAS MUCHAS GRACIAS!!! It was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. It is day full of fun, adventure, and learning. The Coba Pyramid will not be open much longer for climbing, so I suggest if you want to climb a pyramid, this is the last one. The view from the top is unbelievable and very spiritual. They offer bike limos to take you there. I suggest it, because it gives you a little more time to enjoy the pyramid. You are on a tour and have a set time to be back to the van.
Cenote cave : There is nothing like being lowered into a 60 foot cave to swim in crystal clear water, or zip lining across an open cenote that has a crocodile in it  ( If I did it ..You can too, I am a chicken!! It is safe though). But the true joy was meeting the Mayan people in the Mayan village. They are the purest form and representation of what the Mayan culture is today. Por favor (please) remember you are guest in their village, so be respectful. Always be respectful of their resources. This is how the village supports their people. They do not have the assistance like we have here in the states. If you show kindness, they will great you with open arms. They feed you a wonderful buffet and selection of Mayan food. This is very well done.
There is a tip jar, but you can give privately as well. All donations, whether monetary or gifts brought from the states are a nice gesture because they do not have these things available. Pencils are gold to them because the kids need them for school but anything is appreciated.
Isela from the Akumal dive shop can set you up with everything. Tell her Patty from Maine sent you.
If you book in advance ask for Rodrigo. (Not sure I spelled his name right) He is crazy but a lot of fun.
They picked us up at the resort at no extra charge, which was really nice.

SA Reservations
Travel Services of Akumal
[----]
[----]

[----] address to Isela

Isela can also set you up with a sunset tour as well. It is fun and you get some beautiful sunset pictures but bring a jacket.. I found it a little cool If you got wet I do not have issues with motion sickness but if you do I would suggest to bring some non drowsy Dramamine in case the water is rough. Take it a half hour before the trip.

For those of you who love to get involved by offering your help in the medical field or any field really. Contact me and I will put you in contact with Lavonna Redmen. She is an American woman who is the founder of Angel Notion. www.angelnotion.org If you cannot get through to her, I have her direct number, and email address. You can contact me at [----]

Angel Notion is a small medical clinic founded 10 years ago. It provides medical care for children with life threatening illness and care to the people of the Quintana Roo Region. Her story is incredible and an inspiration. She has helped over 100.000 people since 1999 and has doctors from all over the world come there to help her. She does not share on the web page the whole story of how Angel Notion came to be but once you hear it, you cannot help but to want to be a part of it. Some really amazing twist in this lady’s life story.
She is a wonderful person and friend who reaches out to everyone and truly loves and cares for the people of this region and they love her as well. I have to say meeting her was one of the highlights of my trip. We had a great time and look forward to returning again.

Finally!!!!! My over all review is that this place is all you need. It has everything and your vacation is what you make it. So think it out ….plan it well and you will have a memory that will last a life time.
LOL!! I was not planning on writing a long review but once you start, you can’t stop. You will see!!!! :-)
Have fun at the GBP and make some memories to cherish!!!!

• Stayed April 2009
9 Thank AMOMEXICO2
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We were originally scheduled to stay at Akumal section and had requested connecting rooms as we have three children (9-14). This was our 6th trip to the area and first at GBP. At check-in we were given the option of taking a room in the "Akumal Premier" section - which is actually in the Coba resort (? never understood that). Bottom line, we had a great time and really enjoyed this resort.

We had some concerns about how large it was as we usually like more quiet areas on vacation. The premier section was perfect for this. Stayed in rooms 30111 and 30112. 50 yards in front of our building was the beautiful Coba premier pool, 50 yards behind was the premier lobby/buffet (Cozumel?)/bar, shops. We were in easy walking distance to the main Akumal and Coba lobby buildings. Great central location and generally pretty quiet except for a few nights when the premier lobby bar had live music.

Grounds are very nice and well maintained. We checked out the pools at Akumal and Coba sections but our favorite was the Coba premier pool with the padded wood lounge chairs and pool bar that was closest to our room. Plapa loungers start filling up around 6:15 and by 8:30 most of the loungers are taken - and generally used all day.

Didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel beach. The calmer areas in front of Akumal lobby were pretty crowded but it was a nice beach. Definilty some rocks around so you need to watch not to stub toes. We really enjoyeyed the close proximity to Akumal Beach/Yal-Ku and grabbed a cab over there for sand time and snorkeling.

Food was really very good. We hit three alacartes, the main Coba buffet and the main Akumal Buffet but ate most often in the smaller premier buffet by our room (Cozumel?). Favorite was Arlequine - fantastic beef filet. Had a surf-and-turf special with a smaller beef tenderloin and section of lobster tail. Mediterraneo was very good. Kids and wife had an herb roast chicken and I had the lamb chops - very good and well beyond what I have had at AI's before. Dolche Vita - wish we would have skipped this and hit somewhere else. Food was nothing better than what we could have found in the buffets and it was HOT in there. Main Coba buffet was probably the best. Look for the coconut ice cream - awesome.

Staff were wonderful. Front desk, consierge, bar tenders, bellman, all very friendly and helpful. Cudo's especially to the front desk at the premier lobby and Rene at the Coba premier pool bar.

Rooms were really much nicer than I had expected. Not much wear, furniture looked good and bathrooms were nice. Coba is newer than Tulum and Akumal sections so I don't know how much of a difference that would make on the rooms but ours were very nice. Towell art each day, mini-fridge filled each day and 1.5 liter bottles of water left in each room.

Tips: Please, Please tip these people. My opinion is that I am spending thousands of dollars for a family vacation, the least I can do is to plan to spend a few hundered dollars over a week to show appreciation for the people most responsible for making my vacation enjoyable.

Our kids are 9-14 so we didn't really do any kid program things. They like snorkeling and hanging out at a nice pool. They had a great time and were treated very well by the staff and bartenders.

GBP is a place where you can experience lots of entertainment and loud areas, activities, and explore a big resort or you can make your stay more "quiet". We prefer the quiet and loved the premier section at Coba.

Transportation: We used Cancun Valet for the 3rd time this trip. As usual they were right on time at the airport as well as for our return at 3:30 am pick up.

Nice people, good location, beautiful place. Would definitly consider a return trip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank bsmiley
Toronto
Reviewed April 21, 2009

This is my second stay with this chain of hotels. The first was in Punta Cana. I fell in love with the resort so I knew that I'd enjoy my stay in Coba.
The size of this property is huge but if you can read a map you'll be fine. They have a trolley that drives you to the pools, restaurants, the beach and the hacienda. You don't have to wait more than 5 minutes. The hacienda is a place where they have the night entertainment, shops, sports bar, and the nightclub.
The rooms are very clean. They restock the mini bar everyday. In the fridge, cans of beer, juice, water, chocolate and chips.
The food was good. The buffet had a huge selection. There were some things I wouldn't eat, but I always found something yummy. Try the tostadas! There is a 24 hour snack bar that serves burgers, fries, nuggets, nachos etc.

The beach was ok. A lot of coral. The water is clearer on the left side of the dock. There were lots of fish too. So bring your snorkel gear. Its almost impossible to get a beach chair under the umbrella, so go early!

My boyfriend and I made the most of our trip and spent a lot of time off the resort as well. I totally recommend renting a car. They have a rental place by the lobby. But be specify and request standard or automatic in advanced because when they gave us the car it was standard. We don't drive standard. We had to upgrade and pay $55US more for a Durango since they ran out of automatic cars. So in total $120 (we got insurance too). Oh well, so it was a bit more. We drove to the Coba ruins. Rent the bikes in Coba. It beats walking in the heat.
We drove to Tulum. The ruins and the town of Tulum. Bring a bathing suit to the ruins. You'll find the most gorgeous beach there! Its breath taking. (my second time visiting Tulum). We got there at 5pm, and they closed at 6 so we were not able to go in the water. So go earlier.
Its a MUST to go to Playa del Carmen. We went there twice. Once we took the collectivo. You can get the collectivo right outside the resort. They are white vans that drop you wherever you want to go. Its safe, cheap and quick. It costs $3US one way to Playa. The second time we went at night with the truck. Its just one highway that takes you everywhere so you won't get lost.

The hotel at the time were offering a free transfer to a hotel in Cancun with free entrance into Coco Bongo (club). We did the transfer the second last day of our trip. We figured since we wanted to visit Mercado 28 (famous flea market in Cancun), why not transfer. I regretted the transfer right way because the Barcelo Tucancun was nothing compared to the Gran Bahia. It was a big disappointment. It was a 4 star hotel. Once you go Gran Bahia, nothing compares. Its like going from luxury hotel to motel. We made the most of Cancun and spent most of the time outside so it didn't really matter in the end.

We are definitely going back to the Gran Bahia Coba.
Overall, this resort is great for anyone. Couples, families, young or older. I can't see how anyone would be disappointed here. I rate this 6 stars!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Mariposa123
Ontario
Reviewed April 20, 2009

Just got back from one week at Coba. Overall we had a nice trip. Service was excellent and there was nothing worth complaining about. The animation team did a good job engaging everyone and the dance lessons were a lot of fun. I had my six year old daughter and eleven year old son with me. I was interested in the kids club and wanted to check it out since I didnt find many reviews about it specifically. I did not leave my daughter there unattended nor would I. I am not overly protective and am a reasonable person. The girls there were very good with the children and had excellent activities planned for the kids. All of the kids were happy. However, it was a little too chaotic for me and I thought the security was lacking. One day I saw them come to the pool and three kids got in alone with the two girls on the side of the pool. The girls engaged in a converstation and it was some time (as a mother it felt like forever) before they looked over for a head count. I wasn't looking to find fault. Later two of the young girls got out of the pool and were chasing each other around the pool and I dont think anyone noticed what they were doing. With alot of strangers and people around I felt uncomfortable with this. In the kids club building I walked in and out freely without anyone really taking notice or checking me out. Other parents did this as well who wanted their kids to enjoy the activities without leaving them there. I wondered how easy it would be for someone to walk in and take a child. I also couldn't tell which kids did and did not belong there.
There was plenty of food and drinks and I disagree with anyone who says they water the alcohol down. I saw them pour the drinks and I also felt the affects :)
I personally would go to a smaller resort next time with kids as I found there was too much time getting to place to place even though they are quick with the trollies to pick you up. I would also prefer to stay right on the beach. Coba is not on the beach and I did not like the distance between the beach and my room. I knew this when we booked and was okay with it. No surprises, still had a great time.
We ate at Mikado, Arlequin, and Don Pablo. I found Don Pablo and Arlequin to be very similar. I would probably skip Don Pablo and do Arlequin since it has a water view. Mikado was fantastic and was such an awesome experience for kids.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank crossfitgirl
Mississauga
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We found this resort had no internet - down for 2 - 3 weeks. If we wanted to have the internet we had to upgrade at a cost of $40.00 per day. ( at 7 days this was unreal)
In room safes extra $4.00 per day
They had a fire works night at an extra $16.00 per person, on this night there was no other entertainment - a lot of pushing to buy tickets, we where asked approx 14 times???

Overall the resort was nice but very big. the rooms were clean and a good size.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Powerfox
Nova Scotia
Reviewed April 17, 2009

We stayed at Bahia Principe Coba from march 27-Apr10...it was amazing. The grounds are immaculate. I have to praise the animation team...Chico, the animation manager is awesome! Baby face, Sophia, Aileen, Aaron, Ivan (to mention a few) are awesome! Chico, this is a big hi from Barbie & Ken, Steve & Lana (Canada). The food is great as is the service.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jollibe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#50 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!