“Great resort”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Calgary
“Great resort”
Reviewed March 10, 2009

This was the first time we stayed at this resort. The only problem was that we did not get the rooms we requested. We stayed in unit #11 it was great, rooms were always clean and fridge we always got what we asked for( we left a $2.00 tip each for the maid and the fridge guy every day). The buffet at the Coba was terrific, we ate there for almost all of our meals. The service was good they were always there refilling our drinks . The resort itself was beautiful, trams to get you where you want to go beach etc. pools were real nice. There were nine of us four of whom were teenagers and we all had a good time I would recommend this resort to all my friends.

5 Thank neptune12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,663)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
toronto
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I can not figure out how 7 days went sooooo fast! I woke up on the day we were leaving with so many things still left on my " to-do " list. There are just too few hours in the day to do and see all that this hotel and the Maya Riveria has to offer!
I do have to say that getting there was NOT my favorite part of the vacation. I have never been to Mexico before and had no idea what a frustrating experience their customs/ immigration was. We entered the terminal through the departure area and lined up to go downstairs to the que for immigration. It was hot, close and slow. We got through that part and picked up our bags on the other side. The next thing I knew we were lining up for another part of their procedure and the customs officer took our form then said " push the button ". I must of looked confused because he then went into " game show host" mode and with a flourish got out of his chair and with a sweeping gesture of his hand pointed to the button and said "senorita, push the button. I did- it went green and he laughted and said " good, good"and waved us through. If he thought I was confused before??? I now understand that this is their system for random bag checks but at the time I wasn't sure what the button had to do with anything. (I'm not too bright that late at night I guess! )
The time share people were still at work when we finally got out of the custom area but thanks to the reviews I had read I knew to just keep walking. The same with the bagage people who litterally try and grab your bags out of your hands, just keep walking as the bus area is just out the exit and around the corner. The bus ride to the resort took 1 1/2 hrs. It was late and there was little traffic to contend with.
I really liked this resort. The people at the reception desk were always helpful and the public relation people were very helpful when we had a problem with one of our tours.
The beach was great. I did some snorkling off Coba beach and " chatted " with a pelican sunning its self on the sand bag. Honestly I thought it was a ham as it preened every time someone wanted to take its picture then tucked its head under its wing as soon as the camera went click.
The room was clean and very roomy. We left a tip each day but only had towel art 3 times. ( on the days we left US dollars we got towel art, on the ones we left pasos we had none ) The beds are hard as rock even with the pad. This resulted in turning me into a early riser but had the added benifit of me being early enough to get a good spot at the pool!! We were in villa 31 ground floor. There was no evidence of mould or bugs. The only wildlife was the iguana that lived in the bushy area outside our door and was so tame it posed for pictures like a pro. The mini bar was stocked most days but not all.( yes, we did leave a tip )
The tran system was great. Both my husband and I have slight mobility issues and we used the shuttles to go all over the place. Our room was very close to the pick up point for the beach, Ackumal, Premier Lobby and a very short walk to the Coba Lobby and buffet. not to mention Le Gourmet and the Japanese a la carts. It was a perfect location for us.
We ate at all four buffets and all four were good. I think Tullum was the better one but my husband liked Ackumal best. The Coba buffet deffinitly had the best Pina Colodas. The only "beef "I have was with the beef!" I found it salty and generally not good anywhere but the Japanese resturant. We ate at Gran Tortuga one evening and while the presentation was fun the food was not as impressive. Le Gourmet went out of their way to make sure I had a meal I could enjoy. When I ordered the beef I requested they not do it with the fois gras as I am not a fan of liver. They did remove the fois gras before bringing it to me but the flavour had already permiated the beef. I couldn't eat it and the waiter quickly took it back and brought me a vegetable dish that was wonderful.
We went on several excursions -Chichen Itza, Tullum, Coba Mayan Encounter and Jungle Jim ATV Adventure. My favorite was the Jungle Jim ATV trip. It was a blast!! ( 350 Hondas, 100km run through the jungle, the cave and wildlife preserve and a swim in a local cenote. The mayan encounter was also great- zip line over a cenote complete with a huge crockodile waiting patiently for lunch, repelling into a 60ft. deep cenote, a mayan shaman blessing you etc. We were so busy doing excursions we didn't spend as much time on the beach as I would have liked. I needed more time!!!!

11 Thank kittycattoronto
Chatham-Kent, Ontario
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My husband and I took the kids (ages 7 and 10) on their first trip outside of Canada/ U.S. at the end of February. The two of us had already been to the BPC 2 years earlier and loved the resort. We considered going elsewhere, but it was the best quality for a great price. We had a fantastic experience and the kids loved it!
Don't bother wasting your time with the timeshare people at the airport. It is not worth sacrificing time away from your holiday to listen to all of that overpriced crap. After you collect you luggage, just keep walking to your transportation outside the airport as they will misrepresent themselves as trying to help you and not identify themselves as salespeople.
It was well worth the total of $40 extra to have private transportation to our resort. We did not have to waste time dropping others off at various resorts along the way. We prearranged this when we booked the trip. The negative about this resort is the long distance to get to there as it is 1-1 1/2 hrs away, but we felt it was definitely worth it. The quality of airport, roads, and transportation is superior to Jamaica and the DR.
The resort itself is huge and consists of 3 different sections (Coba, Akumal, and Tulum). You have equal access to all areas. Don't bother with the Club Premier if it is extra. We have received all of the same amenities as Premier both times at the resort. We even eat and drink in this section without any exclusions.
The food was fantastic at every place we ate. I preferred the Pescador for the seafood as it is a favourite of mine. The Japanese restaurant, Mikado, was a fun evening to watch the chef cook in front of us. Make your reservations as soon as possible as they book up fast. The kids loved the buffet and there was always something for the whole family to enjoy. The buffet was nice for families since you could go whenever you wanted. There was always food available 24 hours a day, although very limited after 11 pm. My only complaint about the restaurants at the resort was the 24 hour one in Coba, which is beside the pool. For some unknown reason, the staff were not friendly or helpful like all the rest of the resort and the food was cold, and very limited. We much preferred the Akumal 24 hr. restaurant (beside the activity pool) as the staff were great, and the food had more selections and cooked fresh.
Our room was spacious but of course the beds are hard and the walls thin. A pair of earrings and part of our son's orthodontic head gear went missing. Not sure where they disappeared to, but turned the room upside down, but no luck finding them. Neither item were of value. Money and valuables in the locked safe were okay.
The pools were numerous and huge. A bit on the cool side but felt great on a hot day. Get to the pools/beach early to save a good lounger. The Coba beach was the best as it was sandy. Akumal and Tulum seemed rocky due to the Hurricane damage. There was plenty of fish to see snorkelling at the Coba beach very close to shore in water less than waist deep. We saw more fish there, than a paid snorkelling trip I took last year in Jamaica.
We went to Xcaret and enjoyed the day. It is pricey and we decided to get just the basic ticket. I do not think it was worth the big difference in price, unless you want the Mexican lunch buffet ($30 each) included in the premium ticket. Our whole family had great burgers, fries, and drinks at the beach for about the cost of one buffet ticket. Make sure you bring your own bathing suits. We brought our own towels too. Towels and lockers are available for rent. We brought our own snorkel gear but it was also for rent. The life jackets were included. Make sure you do the underground river swim. The kids loved it. Avoid the pony in the animal petting area, as it bit my daughter very hard with no warning and for no reason. It left a nasty mark on the side of her chest. The only bad part of an otherwise good day. The night time show from 6-8 pm is not to be missed and of excellent quality.
We also did a day trip to Tulum ruins and the Akumal beach. The ruins are only 51 pesos each to get in for adults and free for children. Bring water, towels, and sunscreen if you want to fully enjoy the beautiful beach there. Wear you bathing suit under your clothes as there is no facilities at the beach. The views at the ruins and beach are out of this world! The Akumal beach is known for turtles just off the shoreline that you can swim out to. There are also boat guides available for rent.
The resort entertainment was good and you will enjoy it if you do not gowith high expectations of a Las Vegas level show. It was definitely better than the Riu in Jamaica's entertainment last year. You usually have 3 options of entertainment each night as they rotate around to the 3 different sections of the resort. There is also a live band that played each evening n the Premier lobby bar. An excellent spot for a nightcap.
We loved the resort and look forward to going again in the future. Whether a couple or family, you will be treated like a treasured guest.

10 Thank Milkdud
Vancouver
Reviewed March 9, 2009

My GF and I stayed at the GBP for 7 days. 2 things. If you don't like beeing active and walking on hollidays don't stay there. If you're on a recession budget and are use to luxurious ameneties and are patient with the service. Spoil yourself. Obviously bring some tips with you to accelerate the system.

Thanks GBP

5 Thank mic_sam
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Bahia Principe Coba from the week of February 21-28th, 2009.

This was our second trip to the Bahia complex in the past 12 years. We previously stayed at the Bahia Principe Tulum in 1997, prior to the building of the Akumal and Coba properties. We chose the Coba for its central proximity to the turtle snorkelling area located at Akumal beach (five miles North of the resort) and the world class beaches and ocean south of the Tulum ruins.

We travel the Mayan Riviera coast pretty extensively throughout the year, and stay at a mix of 4.5 star to 5 star properties. My holiday objectives are to swim, snorkel and body surf in the ocean off a good beach, to eat at good buffets and a la cartes, to enjoy friendly service and to take in an occasional evening show. We are not overly concerned about having fantastic rooms and amenities within the rooms, although we’re ALWAYS happier when the facilities are modern.

Other major AI resorts in this area that we have stayed at include the Grand Sirenis and the Barcelo complex south of Puerto Aventuras. The Coba sells for roughly the same price point as the two properties mentioned above. We’ve also stayed at many other resorts with both higher and lower price points than I can mention. If you wish, please feel free to link on my name, and survey some of my more recent reviews.

Here is my feature by feature overview of the Bahia Principe Coba.

1. Rooms. The Coba comprises a sprawling block of 3 story buildings, with over 1080 rooms. This is the newest of the 3 Bahia properties. The Coba rooms have a slightly more traditional Mexican look than some properties. The rooms are designated as junior suites with a nice sitting area. Bathrooms are spacious. The minifridge was well stocked, containing some snacks as well as soda and beer. Amenities include an ironing board and iron and nice toiletries in the bathroom. The in room safe uses a key.

Our only comment regarding the rooms would be the noise factor. For whatever reason, we found that our room could hear pretty much everything in both rooms beside us, as well as whatever was going on both above us and below us. We haven’t ever stayed at a property in Mexico with thinner walls.

It was our anniversary, and had sent off an email to the resort indicating so. One evening, we received a nice fruit basket and bottle of champagne as acknowledgement. That was a thoughtful touch.

2. Location. The Coba is set behind the Bahia Yucatan, well off the beach. Guests don’t have a problem getting to the beach though. A marvellous golf cart (really more of a tram) system has been set up to move tourists around the property. We never had to wait more than a minute or two, before a cart would come around to pick guests up to take them to the beach. If you want to visit the two sister properties and doesn’t wish to walk, the trams also take you to the Tulum or the Akumal properties.

We chose to walk to the ocean most of the time, and timed the walk from our room to the beach at just about 5 minutes. Our rooms were located in block 22, across from the “quiet pool”. If one stayed at the farthest block of rooms, the walk to the beach would probably be only 2-3 minutes longer.

3. Beach and ocean. The Bahia complex takes up more than 2/3 of a bay. To the north of the Bahia complex are some condos and a smaller 3 star AI property (The Oasis Akumal).

The tram takes guests directly to the beach stop, labelled “Coba beach”. The Coba beach is located between the Akumal beach and the Tulum beach. It is the ONLY part of the entire complex that one can, or should, swim in. The Akumal and Tulum beaches are completely unswimmable. Rock formations on the ocean floor off of those properties are far too sharp to permit even wading.

Consequently, every swimmer at the sister hotels (Akumal and Tulum) hightail it to the Coba beach middle section. This makes for a very densely packed area. If you want a palapa at the Coba section, plan to “reserve” your spot by no later than 7:30 am. There is a beach bar at the Coba. As well, the famous “swing bar” is a short walk to the right (in the Akumal section).

Coba beach is a 300 yard stretch of slightly course sand, with direct access to a rock free ocean floor. A portion of this is sandbagged to minimize waves. As a result, most of the coba beach is completely tranquil and ideal for wading and shallow snorkelling.

Kids would love this beach, as a variety of smaller fish can be found within just a few feet of the shore. Many of the fish are completely accustomed to tourists. Those who bring bananas from the buffet will find that fish will treat you like the Pied Piper. Put a banana piece in the water and schools follow you around for minutes thereafter.

A lot of people reserve the snorkelling gear. You will be better off bringing your own. I consider myself to be a strong swimmer and normally leave behind my flippers to save space. However, there are some fairly strong currents, away from the sandbags. I regretted not bringing my flippers this trip.

Tip for snorkelers: If you want some truly peaceful snorkelling, walk to the far left of the bay (past the Bahia Tulum) to the Oasis Akumal. The reef break is just about 200 yards off the beach. This represents, by far, the best snorkelling on the whole bay. The oasis beach is rock free, without currents to speak of. There are no crowds to bump into.

Those who might be comparing the Bahia property vs. others AI’s in the region (Palladium, Sirenis or Barcelo) will find that the Palladium and Barcelo complexes have far superior beach/ocean combinations. The Coba however, has a far nicer beach/ocean than the Grand Sirenis.

4. Pools. The Coba pools have an activities pool and a quiet pool. In the photographs, they appear to be monstrous. In reality, the pools are “right sized” for the number of 1080 odd rooms at this property. At the Bahia Akumal and the Bahia Tulum, the pools are much smaller. If you like a good sized pool, the Coba is the best choice of the three resorts. The pools at the Coba are far LESS impressive than the Bahia Coba or the Grand Sirenis.

One needs to “reserve” the quiet pool palapas by about 6:15 am at the latest. At the activity pool, you’ve only got an extra 15 minutes or so to reserve a palapa.

5. Restaurants and Buffets. The resort does not offer room service, and there is no need to. With a restaurant seemingly located within two hundred yards from you, regardless of where you are on the property, you won’t go hungry. At the Coba complex, we found two buffets, two snack bars (one open 24 hours) and four "a la carte" restaurants. In the hotel lobbies, warm pastries, coffee and tea are served at least 18 hours a day.

The main Coba buffet is huge. All meals feature a ton of fresh ripe fruit. The breakfast buffet has a made to order egg station, made to order pancakes and French toast. During lunch and dinner, the food selection features different made to order cooking stations (Italian, Mexican, Sushi, fish/seafood and meats). With a large and diverse set of guests from various parts of Europe, South America and North America, the Coba tries to offer something for all to enjoy. Most nights feature a theme. For families, there is a children’s station, with the traditional assortment of hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.

I liked the wide variety of foods at the buffets, but found the overall “taste” to be a little lacking. To me, much of the food seemed bland. The Mexican station had chilies and sauces pn the side. You can make those quite tasty. However, we certainly preferred the the flavor of the buffet food at some other resorts we’ve recently stayed at, over the Coba.

Most of the buffet desserts were pre cut squares of various cakes. They are artfully displayed and there is a nice variety. Oddly enough though, most seem to taste pretty much the same as one another. On days when the selection went beyond the preformed squares, they were good.

It is my opinion, so as to accommodate the wide ranging clientele, the Bahia chefs try to hit a happy median, which emphasizes quantity and variety over taste.

Several nights, we toured the buffets at all three properties (Tulum, Akumal and Coba) within an hour of one another, to see if there were any meaningful differences in food or presentation. The resorts serve pretty much the same dishes at each resort, each night.

In my opinion, the “a la carte” restaurants are far superior to the buffets if you want tasty food. We ate at “Le Gourmet” and were thoroughly impressed. The concierge indicated that Le Gourmet was the hardest to book. We ate at the “Arlequin” at the Akumal resort, and were also very pleased. Arlequin is similar in menu to Le Gourmet and should be another “must book” restaurant. One evening, we ate the Brazilian rodizo “La Gran Tortuga” at the Tulum property. We also enjoyed the meal. Finally, we ate at the “El Pescador” (fish/seafood) at the Coba. We were pleased with this meal, but preferred the 3 other restaurants selected. Desserts are good to outstanding at these "a la cartes". Speciality coffees and liquors are offered after meals.

Night owls should try the 24 hour snack bars. They make ribs and chicken dishes to order, as well as featuring a full bar. A mini buffet is available if you want hot dogs or hamburgers.

6. Alcoholic drinks. The house choices at the buffets and most a la carte restaurants are jug red (tap poured), jug white or champagne by the glass. Sometimes, the red wine has the definite appearance (more orange than red) of being watered down, as did the white. Blush (white zinfandel or rose types) are only available at a surcharge to your room. If you like a real glass of wine without having to pay a surcharge, try the Arlequin restaurant (at the Akumal resort) during the day. It sometimes opens for lunch as an overflow area. Arlequin serves an entry level Mexican bottled red and white with buffet meals. This wine is also offered at the Arlequin a la carte meal. The “Le Gourmet” a la carte restaurant serves bottled wine with the meals. Otherwise, jug wine is also served at most of the sit down restaurants. A fairly extensive list of surcharge wines is offered.

I noticed several people generously tipping servers and grabbing a bottle of the Mexican wine or the champagne, to take to their rooms. This also occurred at the “quiet pool” swim up bar.

Mixed and alcoholic drinks at the beach and pools are DEFINITELY watered down, and greatly so. We tried to get around this at the pools by ordering our drinks at the adjacent snack bars. The lounges and sit down bars offered “less” watered down drinks, but they still seem understrength. Some people ordered specific “mid shelf” alcohol from time to time in an attempt to avoid this issue. They also seemed to comment that the alcohol tasted weaker than the norm. Nevertheless, there were a lot of beverage choices. A variety of “pour your own” tequilas are in each buffet, each coffee and pastry station and at many sitting areas.

Beer drinkers at the beach or pool should try to ask for the “Dos Equis” beer in the can. It’s tough to water down a sealed can of beer.

7. Gym. There are 3 gyms on the complex. There isn’t a huge selection of equipment, at each gym, but what is available is in excellent working condition. Bicycles can be borrowed to tour the property. We did not use the spa services, but there is an extensive list of services offered.

8. Service. I personally found that the best feature of this mega resort was the service. Having stayed at all of the major resort chains up and down the coast, it is our view that the service at the Coba was far above the norm. At the Sirenis, service was generally apologetic. At the Barcelo, service was indifferent at best, and the drinks were no better. At the Bahia Coba, many times service was downright fantastic, and NEVER less than good. Waiters would quickly take drink orders during buffet meals, and were not “tip happy”. Sometimes we were surprised with a specialty drink during our buffet meals without being asked. At the “a la carte” meals, staff were always present whenever you needed them, without hovering. The maid service was very nice. We were contacted several times by the hotel during the week, to ensure that we were enjoying our stay.

8. Entertainment. We visited the disco at the Hacienda Dona Isabel, and it was about as fun as 12 years ago. The DJ tries to appeal to all ages.

The evening theatre shows at the Coba are start at 9:30. At the Tulum and Yucatan, the shows are at 9pm. The shows rotate around the complex. If you miss an evening show because of your sit down meal times, you can catch a favourite show at one of the other properties.

The Coba music bar in the evening features spectacularly, PAINFULLY bad (but fun in a "train-wreck watching" kind of way) karaoke. Alternatively, live professional musicians can be heard at the Tulum and Yucatan bars during the evening.

Thursday night is Mexican fiesta night at the Hacienda. For a surcharge of 160 pesos per person (about $11 US) you get to watch a lot of authentic Mexican dancers and take part in a bit of a street fair. Children will enjoy the mechanical bull at this fair. Fireworks are marketed as being the highlight, but I would not call the display to be spectacular.

All in all, we considered the stay to be really fun, and felt that we got MORE than our moneys worth. At the right price (same price or lower than other mega resorts such as the Barcelo complex, the Iberostar complex or the Grand Palladium complex), we would return in a heartbeat. The buffet food was decent, the sit down meals were “good to great”, the rooms were modern and clean, and the staff were very attentive and genuinely friendly. The beach and ocean are the same as 12 years ago. Because of the protected wading area at the Coba beach, I feel that this resort would be particularly well positioned for families with children. Due to the size of the resort, I would not really consider it appropriate for those with challenged mobility.

Perhaps due to the recent global slowdown, I’ve recently noticed that fewer tourists are tipping. Canadians, Americans and Europeans are still travelling as much to this region as last year, but perhaps we're being a bit more careful with our cash. The staff seem really appreciative for whatever is offered. Service at the Coba is equally good with or without a tip. Mexico’s economy is very hard hit currently, so please keep that in mind.

A few tips:

1. The Mexican Peso has crashed vs. most global currencies at the time of this review. Coba hotel exchange rates don’t reflect this reality yet. You will get approximately a 15% better rate on US, Canadian or Euros at the HSBC bank in Playa Del Carmen than at the hotel.

2. Internet service is unreliable here. During our stay, no pay computers were operating. If you require a resort with reliable internet access, the Coba may NOT be the choice for you.

3. If you want to break your trip up with a night or two in Cancun, ask what partner hotels are available, at the guest services desk in the Coba lobby. When the Coba approaches capacity, they’ll voluntarily offer to move you, to an AI property in Cancun for a night or two. You need to completely vacate your room. In return, they will throw in a free evening entrance fee to Coco Bongo disco. This might be a good deal for those who want to party.

4. If you want to see some archaeological sites that are out of this world, ask the concierge desk if the complimentary “Chichen Itza –Uxmal” ruins trip is offered.

Running Wednesday-Friday; you get an escorted trip and lunch at Chichen Itza, an overnight stay and meals at the Hyatt Regency in Merida, a free time evening + a city tour. The next day you visit the most impressive ruins in ALL of the Yucatan, located at Uxmal. Google Uxmal and you'll be blown away with the quality of the ruins. Uxmal makes Chichen Itza seem small and unimpressive in comparison. You overnight at the Miramar Mision Hotel. Meals are included.

Once again, you’ll need to completely vacate the room, and the tour is only offered when the hotel is running at capacity. Signs will be all over the lobby area of the hotel when this deal is offered. It is NOT a timeshare, so don’t be scared of a sales pitch.

If you tried to do see these sights yourself, you’d probably be paying close to $700-800 US per person, when all is said and done. This is the Coba’s way of proactively addressing potential overbooking.

5. Returning guests are invited to a breakfast every Friday morning. Prizes are raffled off, and you’ll meet other returnees. Let your concierge know if you have been to any of the 3 Bahia properties before. Almost everyone wins a prize, most of them pretty nice. Prizes include Lobster dinners, spa services, day trips off the resort...etc.

6. If you want better snorkeling, powder white sand, or a more secluded beach than the Coba beach during your stay: take a $10 cab ride to Akumal beach, or $15 ride to Boca Paila (Tulums' world famous beach known fronted by the Playa Paraiso Beach Club). Akumal beach is famous for its turtle snorkeling right off the beach and a couple of shops, some small beach bars/restaurants and powder sand. Tulum's Playa Paraiso features semi-deserted miles of powder sand and a few beach bars that are inexpensive. The water is turquoise. You'll think that you died and went to beach heaven.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
32 Thank johnyhandful
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2009

A group of 14 stayed at the Coba Feb12 - Feb 19....I read plenty of reviews before deciding on the Coba so I feel I should let you know about my experience.
I'll start with the not so good ,then tell you about the good.

NOT SO GOOD
Customer service needs some work I had contacted the resort before hand to try to book a restuarant because it was my sons birthday. Got a reply from Jana stating it was a special occasion and would do her best to set it up. Long story short it didn't happen and when I did go to book a meal for his birthday I was told all the restuarant's where booked up. I was then told they only had one opening 2 day's after his birthday and the only time they had was 10:00pm, so I took it. When we arrived at the Mikado they didn't have our reservation...it was a cluster [--].

We all noticed how rude people where towards the cook's when they were getting food from the pasta bar or the omelette bar...and what I witneesed during my week stay was it always seemed to be the French that where so rude.I know not all French people are rude but the one;s that are shame on you.

Bar fridge was broken and called down to the front desk 5 time's over a 2 day period to try to get it fixed, finally replaced the fridge.

It is a long drive from the airport but beer on the bus helps.

NOW THE GOOD

The animation team at the party pool where fantastic soooo fun!!!!!!!!!! these kid's work very hard, they work the pool all day and do the show's at night. All of the team is very outgoing and have ton's of personality.

Nobody should complain about the food there is something for everyone.

The bartender's are all very good the swim up bar at the party pool is where we spent of of the time and they are all great...but tip them I heard this from all the Canadian's at the bar "we would of tip them but we didn't bring any money to the pool, because we're wearing our bathsuit". We always tipped 5-10 dollar's when we got our first drink then your set for the day.

You have to take the tram to the Coba beach and walk to the swing bar, it's beautiful and the bartender ANGEL is the hardest working man in Mexico he tops your drink up before your finished..the guy can do 6 things at once.

The place is super clean and all staff are very friendly we stayed in villa 24 and it was perfectly located to food and pool's.

We tipped the cleaning lady and put $ 2.00 a day in mini bar and tipped bartender and buffet waitor's and waitress.

It's a great resort if you want to party, drink and have fun.... and it's also great if you want to hang out at the quiet pool and read.

8 Thank mrsmclovin47
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2009

this is our 2nd time at this resort. We stayed at Coba this time and Tulum last time. I would stay at Tulum if we chose to go back. It is more quiet than Coba. We were over the quiet
pool and every morning they were cleaning something at 8am. I'm not a morning person.

The staff is extremely friendly which is a great help because the resort is large and you do get lost. At this point I'm buffied out. There is so much food and booze that my system is unprepared. We ate at the ala cartes there OK. It would be nice to see menus when you are booking them.

We snorkelled right off the beach and I saw a barracuda, a turtle and squid.

We did Hidden Worlds excursion. The sky cycle, zip lines were fun. I wouldn't do it again but they were fun things to try. Watch your head in the cenotes.

If you go anywhere try the Collectivos they are in expensive and very clean a nice experience and a way to save money.

So far as flights and the bus trip I would do the early morning flights. This toime we did an afternoon flight and basically wasted a day.

In conclusion you would not be disappointed here.

3 Thank kwfrozen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!