We stayed in the Coba section villa 19b on the first floor. The room was awesome! Huge bed, nice bathroom. We found the air conditioning made the room too cold so we turned that off for our entire stay and only used the ceiling fan. Didn't really have an issue with the soundproofing of the walls, heard some walking around but no biggie. We were close to the loud pool, which we didn't mind. We'd spend the day at the beach and then hang out at the pool for the last hour of the day and then it was a short walk to our room.
You have choices from a wavy section that you can play in the waves and have them knock you off the sandbags. OR you can hang out in a protected section and snorkel around some reefs, although they don't like it when you go past the ropes and will whistle at you from the shore. There is also a nice roped off section for kids that is really shallow. We chose to wear water shoes because we did find some rocky sections. We didn't have a problem finding a beach lounger either.
We never got to take out and catamarans or kayaks because it was red flag every day, that was a bit of a bummer...maybe next time.
We aren't really pool people but we did have to go to a swim up bar at least once to say we did. All the pools are really clean and a refreshing temperature.
Loved the Coba buffet and the Akumal buffet. All the food was basically the same and probably could have been a bit more flavourful but hey, I didn't have to cook it or clean up after it so who cares! The al la cartes were OK too. We ate at Mikado, Portifino and Le Gourmet. However, I could take 'em or leave 'em, I preferred the freedom of eating at the buffet because sometimes you just didn't feel like rushing around to make your reservation.
Getting around this resort was really easy. The walk from the Coba section to the beach is around 10 min, definitely not a big deal at all. However, you could always take one of the many club carts that zoom around the paths. We preferred walking since you got to see more Iguana's, there are tons of these guys around, and we tried to spot some Coati's but only got a brief glimpse in the dark one night.
We caught a few shows at the coba theatre. Michael Jackson was awesome! Cats was not that great and a Broadway show which was pretty good.
We went to the Hacienda one night and hung out at the sports bar and even checked out the disco. After 45 min of techno music we'd had enough and went home but at least we can say we've been there, done that.
Hidden Worlds was one of the best days we had off the resort! We rode on some skycycles, zip lined, rappelled, snorkeled in a couple of cenotes and even did a splash down into one from another zip line. It was fun fun fun! Just a note, the water in the cenotes is a lovely 74 degrees. We're from Vancouver Island and Lake Cowichan doesn't even get that warm in the summer and we still swim in it so don't bother with the wet suits they offer you.
Tulum Ruins, they were OK, probably wouldn't bother going back there again though. Definitely heed the other tripadvisors advice about getting there right at 9am so you beat the tour buses otherwise you'll be left standing in a very hot and sweaty line, while they usher the tours right by you to the front of the line. Also be aware they only accept Pesos at the wicket! Good shopping in Tulum by the way.
Playa Del Carmen
We went in the evening. It was OK, but I'm not a big shopper and was a little put off by the agressive sales people. It looks like it would be a fun place for people who like to party at night but since that's not us it is not a place I will bother visiting again.
Very nice beach. You can walk from the resort for 45 min to get to it (just make sure you ask which way....we went the wrong way and it made for a funny story). We saw a sea turtle and some nice fish but I thought the snorkling at the resort was just as good. I'll go back though and hopefully will see more than just one turtle.
The Jungle Place
Got to hang out with some spider Monkeys in their cage. It was awesome!
Overall I'd highly recommend this resort. Next year we're bringing the kids because I don't think they could possibly get bored here, we sure didn't!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TravelUp, Jetsetter, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico