“First time to Mexico....should've booked two weeks!”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Vancouver Island
“First time to Mexico....should've booked two weeks!”
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We stayed in the Coba section villa 19b on the first floor. The room was awesome! Huge bed, nice bathroom. We found the air conditioning made the room too cold so we turned that off for our entire stay and only used the ceiling fan. Didn't really have an issue with the soundproofing of the walls, heard some walking around but no biggie. We were close to the loud pool, which we didn't mind. We'd spend the day at the beach and then hang out at the pool for the last hour of the day and then it was a short walk to our room.

The Beach:
You have choices from a wavy section that you can play in the waves and have them knock you off the sandbags. OR you can hang out in a protected section and snorkel around some reefs, although they don't like it when you go past the ropes and will whistle at you from the shore. There is also a nice roped off section for kids that is really shallow. We chose to wear water shoes because we did find some rocky sections. We didn't have a problem finding a beach lounger either.

We never got to take out and catamarans or kayaks because it was red flag every day, that was a bit of a bummer...maybe next time.

The Pools:
We aren't really pool people but we did have to go to a swim up bar at least once to say we did. All the pools are really clean and a refreshing temperature.

The Food:
Loved the Coba buffet and the Akumal buffet. All the food was basically the same and probably could have been a bit more flavourful but hey, I didn't have to cook it or clean up after it so who cares! The al la cartes were OK too. We ate at Mikado, Portifino and Le Gourmet. However, I could take 'em or leave 'em, I preferred the freedom of eating at the buffet because sometimes you just didn't feel like rushing around to make your reservation.

Getting around this resort was really easy. The walk from the Coba section to the beach is around 10 min, definitely not a big deal at all. However, you could always take one of the many club carts that zoom around the paths. We preferred walking since you got to see more Iguana's, there are tons of these guys around, and we tried to spot some Coati's but only got a brief glimpse in the dark one night.

Night Life:
We caught a few shows at the coba theatre. Michael Jackson was awesome! Cats was not that great and a Broadway show which was pretty good.

We went to the Hacienda one night and hung out at the sports bar and even checked out the disco. After 45 min of techno music we'd had enough and went home but at least we can say we've been there, done that.

Off-Resort Excursions:
Hidden Worlds was one of the best days we had off the resort! We rode on some skycycles, zip lined, rappelled, snorkeled in a couple of cenotes and even did a splash down into one from another zip line. It was fun fun fun! Just a note, the water in the cenotes is a lovely 74 degrees. We're from Vancouver Island and Lake Cowichan doesn't even get that warm in the summer and we still swim in it so don't bother with the wet suits they offer you.

Tulum Ruins, they were OK, probably wouldn't bother going back there again though. Definitely heed the other tripadvisors advice about getting there right at 9am so you beat the tour buses otherwise you'll be left standing in a very hot and sweaty line, while they usher the tours right by you to the front of the line. Also be aware they only accept Pesos at the wicket! Good shopping in Tulum by the way.

Playa Del Carmen
We went in the evening. It was OK, but I'm not a big shopper and was a little put off by the agressive sales people. It looks like it would be a fun place for people who like to party at night but since that's not us it is not a place I will bother visiting again.

Akumal Beach
Very nice beach. You can walk from the resort for 45 min to get to it (just make sure you ask which way....we went the wrong way and it made for a funny story). We saw a sea turtle and some nice fish but I thought the snorkling at the resort was just as good. I'll go back though and hopefully will see more than just one turtle.

The Jungle Place
Got to hang out with some spider Monkeys in their cage. It was awesome!

Overall I'd highly recommend this resort. Next year we're bringing the kids because I don't think they could possibly get bored here, we sure didn't!

Stayed February 2009
11 Thank Spendygirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,574)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Baltimore MD
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Just returned from the Bahia Principe Coba. Dont be confused by title...This whole resort (Coba, Akumal, and Telum) are in Akumal Mexico...that's why it says Akumal..

It is very interesting to compare a vacation experience with the posts read on tripadvisor prior to the vacation. There is tremendous variability in opinion because people have different experiences and opinions... but I will give ours. We are in our mid 40s

1. Overall Quality: This is no cheapo resort. Everything from the food to the rooms, furniture, to the grounds to the drinks were high quality and luxurious. Big open buildings (lobby etc) with dramatic sculptures, Bars everywhere. Food available everywhere. Nice people.

2. Location: It is a long ride from the airport. Didn't bother me but does take up a not insignificant part of your travel days.

3. Location/size/layout: This is a HUGE resport. Facilities are scattered between the three different places (actually more considering the premium resorts) and it is very confusing and inconvenient to use the facilities and get to everything.

As everyone says, Coba is the farthest from the beach. Most say this isn't a problem.. shuttles etc etc. I stayed at the BP in Dom Repub and we were a long way from the beach and the shuttles were fine and the distance was ok. But at this resort, it was a major problem. big enough that I would strongly suggest that you stay at Akumal or Telum if you want to use the pool and beach. It is a problem because the walk is very far to the beach and it took us days to figure out the route. You can walk to facilities at Akumal but Telum is just too far. You have to take the shuttle there....and that is where the bikes and tennis are which really is a bummer.

The resort layout is very confusing and the maps are poor. The posted maps are limited to the resort you are on and printed maps are poor. There are many different shuttles (intra coba, to the beach, to the other resorts etc) Tje shuttles are very confusing and have poor signage. Even when they have a sign, it is often wrong. We were late for dinner a couple times ( your restaurants will be at the different resorts) because of the wait for an appropriate shuttle. Although everyone is extremely nice, it is amazing how few could give directions. Most outside of the main lobby. don't speak english. I was surprised.

Also, you would think each resort would have bikes and tennis courts etc. Not the case. So, I have to walk 20 minutes to Telum (no one does this) for tennis or wait for a shuttle. Effectively that means that I can't just drop by the courts or just pick up a bike. It means that I only got to play tennis once in 5 days. I thought I would play every day. We only biked once. If it was closer, we would have done it over and over. In a place this big, bikes are a particularly important thing and they should have had bikes at each place.

Because of the size, I would strongly suggest you stay at Telum or Akamal. They say the coba pools have the most to do. We spent most of the time at the Akamal pool which was right up against the beach. To go from the pool to the beach at the Coba is a real ordeal and you aren't going to do it very often in one day...

Rooms: Very nice. Marble, nice shower, jacuzzi, hard bed...like it that way. fridge had drinks and snacks. nice towel sculptures each day. very clean.

Staff: Extremely nice. Everyone says hello. This really stood out. Unfortunately, most can't give you directions or speak english very well.

Food: Buffets were quite good. Excellent variety.
Food : Restaurants: Quite impressed with Arlequin (gourmet, Akumal side) and. Don Pablo (gourmet, Tulum side). Very unimpressed with the brazilian restaurant that we were most looking forward to.

Our big issue with the restaurants was reservations. You have to sit down with a cust service person to book the restaurants. This can be a very time consuming and frustrating affair. We spent over 1.5 hours of our first precious afternoon doing this. Most good times for each restaurant were sold out. Eventually we got most of what we wanted but there has to be a better way. You should go make these reservations first. We only knew this because we had stayed at a bahia before.

If you wait, you won't get very much. They need to have more capacity or a fairer system. I basically had to insist that it wasn't fair that they advertise multiple restaurants and I couldn't get into any of these without it being 530 pm or 10 pm. Again, after a few trips to the desk, it worked out. but it left me unrelaxed...and this trip was for relaxation.

Chairs: All the lounge chairs were taken by 7 am at Coba. We notices more open ones much later at Akumal. They need more chairs.

Pools. THe in pool jacuzzis are not heated. that really was disappointing especially because it was chilly out. The pools have areas that are only inches deep and you can put your lounge chair. very cool. Pools are big!

Spa. My wife and I got a massage. They give a discount off of one massage. It was pretty high quality.

Entertainment: We skipped the pool entertainment. The night shows were ok... actually, pretty disappointing. There is one show at each place each night. Michael Jackson was ok... but it was all lip synching. The dancers were ok. For resort entertainment, it was slightly worse than average. Enjoyed the band in one of the clubs and we liked the karaoke.

Activities: Too windy for sailing and snorkling. major bummer. The beaches are pretty nice and well protected with the reef and long sand bags (look like whales)....but it was too windy for us. At Akumal, there is a shack where they will make you bracets (names of your kids for 5 dollars) and paint tiles and pottery for you...inexpensive and nice that it is handmade in front of you.

Grounds: Impeccable. They were always raking, cleaning, picking up, or spraying ...never saw any bugs.

Guests: Most people were from Canada. Fewer europeans than we saw in Dom REpub. That means less topless women on the beach if you are interested... there were some.

Excursions: We did hidden worlds. Loved the zipline, cenote snorkling and rapelling. The sky chairs were unique. I think younger kids would have a problem with them though. They gave us wet suites... didn't rip us off 3 bucks each. Very personal, granola. organic.... The "skinny man" who is world famous due to trip advisor was a pleasure to talk to. just excellent. Highly recommended. We took a quick trip to Telum from there...10 min. Bring sunscreen with inscecticide (got it at target) or you will get mosquito bites galore)

In summary, this is a first class place...beautiful grounds, rooms buildings. It is simply too big... It would have been ok if it was easy to get around but it isn't.. I would have been ok with that if we had been near the beach (Akumal or Telum). But I definitely did less, waited more, and relaxed less because we were at Coba. Maybe the rooms are nicer...(slightly bigger) but it isn't worth it. Maybe it is newer..but I couldn't tell when we were at the other places..they seemed very very similar.

If the price is right, go to the Bahia Principe but stay at Akumal or Telum. Can't say which is better....probably Akumal.

• Liked — Gorgeous, Clean, Good Food, Nothing cheap, Nice beach, nice people
  • Disliked — Too big, too confusing and time confusing to get around, tennis/bikes not convenient, pain making restaurant reservations, did I mention, hard to figure out layout and hard to get around?!?!. Stay at Akumal or Telum
8 Thank radman2020
Blind Bay, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Just returned from 2 glorious weeks at the Coba...

Vacationed with another couple and had a wonderful time. We paid extra for Club Golden (our friends did not) and I don't believe it was worth it - the resort and staff are excellent and provide good service to all guests. We had a private lobby/check in/out, which was convenient but not essential. Free internet service was included - however there are line ups and people tend to stay on the computers longer than the allotted 20 minutes (we just wanted to send a quick email home). There was no difference in the room given to us as compared to our friends'. In fact, there were people staying in our building who had not paid for the upgrade so all the rooms are equally good. Turndown service is advertised but not provided - the staff did not know what this was. Once we spoke to our Transat rep about it the hotel did send maids for most of the remaining evenings to do the turndown but it seems they do not provide this service as a rule.

The food was above average - the buffet is very good and the a la cartes are a pleasant surprise. I ate way too much! Le Gourmet was our fave...

We went to Akumal Bay, Xel Ha and the Tulum ruins, without taking a pre-packaged tour - the Coba is close enough to all these locations that a taxi is inexpensive. I had my first snorkelling experience at Xel Ha and loved it!

We went deep sea fishing with Captain Rick's out of Puerto Adventuras and rented a boat with 2 other couples that we know who were vacationing nearby so we had a "private boat" (for less than the cost of a group) - it was a lovely day and our captain and mate were great -however, sadly all that was caught that day was a "baby" baracuda who kindly (actually he was really pissed!) posed for some photos with us and was then returned to the sea.

Following our morning at sea we went to Playa del Carmen for some shopping and visiting and my husband's wallet was stolen by a store clerk if you can believe it - be very careful!! The prices are much better in Playa than at the hotel - the store keepers at the resort do not bargain - there is a standard 20% discount and I was able to purchase the same bracelet in Playa for 75% less than the resort was charging.

One comment I do have to make about the Coba - we lost our safe key (you have to purchase the use of your safe). They sent someone over immediately to drill out the lock and provide us with a new lock and key (at a cost of $100 US), which at the time made us feel secure thinking that there is only key per lock... well, on our last day when we were packing, we found the "lost" key, only to discover that the lost key ALSO OPENED OUR NEW LOCK!!! It appears that at least some, if not all, of the keys open some, or all of the safes - this was very disturbing to us - never mind the fact that we were charged $100 on the pretense that there were no keys to open the safe. When I enquired about this I was advised to email the hotel manager as the charge of $100 for the key is hotel policy. Sigh. Be aware.

All in all, a lovely resort, very attentive staff, excellent food, and hey, it's Mexico!

• Liked — Pools, food
13 Thank forestrump
Saskatoon
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We spent two weeks at the Bahia Principe Coba. We arrived at 2am and were assigned to building 22. Luckily this building is in the best location in the Coba section, close to the buffet, restaurants, a pool and the shuttle.
We vacationed with friends who spent an additional $20 per person per night for Club Golden, which allows better located rooms, a private lobby and other perks. We had all the same benefits they had except free internet, a spa credit, and 2 less a la carte dinners and saved $600. DO NOT PAY FOR CLUB GOLDEN!!!!
The food was the excellent and we were allowed full access to Coba, Akumal, and Tulum buffets and snack bars. In 2 weeks we ate all over the resort and never felt the fare was repetitive.

The night shows are fantastic. The activity pools programs will fill your days with fun and exercise. The grounds are beautiful.

The only real weakness with this resort is...the beach and beach water sports.
The beach is protected by unsightly berms to break the waves and protect swimming areas. Surf shoes are a must in the water as rocks are everywhere. Free Catamarans and kayaks are provided but even in 1-3' seas the lifeguards red flag the beaches and no one is allowed to use them. (but you can still pay to ride a waverunner)

Fortunately the resort is located very close to Akumal Beach. For a 100 peso taxi ride (10 min) you can access fantastic snorkeling where we saw several turtles, a barracuda, rays, squid, beautiful coral and large tropical fish. NO ENTRANCE FEE!!! This is a place not many tourists go to as they are off to Xel-ha or Tulum.

• Liked — Food quality and selection
  • Disliked — Rocky beach, red flags restricting kayak,and catamaran usage (looked yellow to me)
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
10 Thank murcoa
Reviewed February 15, 2009

First of all, if you can book this hotel through Apple Vacations then do it!!! You automatically get upgraded to the premier suite (Akumal) section where you check in at a separate (less busy) building. Your room comes with robes and slippers and your in- room safe is already included so you don't have to pay extra to use it. You also get to book four a la carte meals instead of just three. Just don't book a meal on Wednesday because Apple throws a BBQ for all their guests where you get free GBP t shirts, door prizes, and excellent ribs (or lobster if you prefer). We got a chartered flight through USA 3000 which flew straight to Cancun from Chicago and we got to check one piece of luggage (under 50 lbs) for free. All transfers were also included and we were lucky enough to be squeezed onto an express bus which took us straight to the hotel without dropping off any other people (I think this usually costs $20 extra per person for anyone wanting to book this option ahead of time). A van then picked us up when we were ready to go home and both ways took about 1.5 hrs with no traffic.
Now for the actual hotel review! My husband, myself, and my parents went here for 7 nights and we loved it!! The rooms were very nice and pretty large as well. Maid service was very good and we had no problems getting towels, but we also don't change our towels often to conserve energy ,so there wasn't much for the maids to change. We all thought the beds and pillows were really hard but we didn't have any trouble sleeping after all that sun! The rooms were not very sound proof so I am glad that we requested a third floor room. It was bad enough hearing the neighbors walking around their room at 6:30 am; I can't imagine what everyone else below our floor heard. All the staff were extremely nice and we were approached by three managers during our stay who made sure everything was going well (although I think those managers had some sort of connection to Apple). We did tip similarly to everyone else on Tripadvisor but I have one request for all of you. If possible, try to tip at least one of the beach workers. We stayed on the same part of the beach all week and had the same guy working in our section the entire time. He spent everyday walking around picking up everyone's trash, cigarette butts, and rocks that he raked out of the sand. He also swept the stairs clear of sand and helped people find open chairs. All this work and everyone just ignored him. I think the most memorable part of the trip was seeing the smile on his face when both myself and my dad tipped him for no reason. The beach workers make no more money than the waiters (my dad found this out by talking to staff) and they never get tipped.
Moving on, the most dissapointing part of the hotel are all the buffets. The food is pretty bland and only luke warm at best, although, the Mexican food is decent (and being half Mexican I would know!!) The worst buffet is the Cozumel which is at the premier Akumal lobby, You only have 1/4 of the choices that the rest of the buffets have, and the food is colder than all the others. Otherwise the Kukulcan, Riviera, and Yucatan have tons to choose from so you won't go hungry. Now, the a la carte meals are a whole different story! They were all delicious and had at least 4 star food in my opinion. We tried Mikado (make sure you ask for a show while booking), Tequila (don't expect typical Mexican entrees because you won't find them here), Le Gormet, and Portofino.
We liked the beach a lot. There were really rocky parts, and a little bit of smooth sandy beach. I only saw about 10 people with water shoes on so the rest of us are living proof that you can survive without them. Just keep in mind, if you plan on snorkeling at the resort bring your own gear. We were lucky enough to get one yellow flag day on our last day at the resort so we could rent everything then, but you may not be so lucky. But, if you really want to buy the gear there, you only have to spend $40 just for the mask and tube (rediculous). If you want a perfect beach take a collectivo to the Tulum ruins where the waves are a blast and the sand can't get any softer. As for bugs, we didn't get bothered by anything except mosquitos when we went to the Apple BBQ.
I hope this helped and let me know if you have any questions. Just relax, have fun, and enjoy all the Speedo watching on the beach!!!

• Liked — The friendly and hard working staff
  • Disliked — The mediocre buffets
9 Thank Tonialax
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Just got back from a great holiday in GBP. We have traveled with my wife all around the world but this resort was far the best we have ever visited. Rooms was very spacious, all with jacuzzi. Very clean (we have once came to our room while clean lady was doing her job, she´s spent over 50 mins in our room).
Go for Coba hotel, other parts of resort (Tulum, Akumal) are worst of quality and smaller.
I am very demanding in terms of food, but in Coba, it was the best I have ever seen. Huge selection of all types of food, we have loved mainly shrimps every day :) There are plenty of restaurants all over the resort, we have found the main restaurant in Coba as the best. We have tried 2 ala carte restaurants (mexican, brazilian) and was quite dissapointed - we went back to main rest. in coba and everything was OK :)
Only issue was the number of sun beds in the resort, mainly around the pools. Once you came after 8 AM, you have no chance to get the bed by the pool (all beds already reserved..), you need to spend some time by searching for a sun bed even by the sea.
Great selection of drinks, bar at every corner :) Make a tour to see every bar, have a round at each and you can not finish your journey..:)
Just go there!

4 Thank Skopik
cornwall
Reviewed February 14, 2009

We are a couple in the mid 40's and stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba from Feb 05 to Feb 12th along with another couple of the same ages. Our stay was wonderful. Huge resort and it does take a few days to get your bearings as to where you are. The trams are idea for those who do not want to walk long distance. They go by every few minutes you never have to wait to long for them.

Rooms: Huge rooms with King size bed, sitting area, t.v., fridge, lots of closet space, large bathroom. Very clean rooms and fridge stocked daily with cerveza's, soft drinks, juices, chips and chocolate bars. Maid cleaned room daily and sufficient supply of towels and special designs made of towels on your bed daily. But of course we tiped $ daily on the pillow.

Food: We ate a few different buffets and would have to say that the one at Coba and Akumel neer the beach were the best ones with the most variety of food. Food was very good probably the best I've had since I've been travelling. We ate at 4 a la carte restaurants and enjoyed the Japenese the best. Word of advise, book the minute you check in because they go very fast. If you want the Japenese book it towards the end of your vacation to guarantee a spot around the table that the food preperation show is being perpormed.

Beach: Not the best beach that I've been at due to lots of reef and rocks in the water. Bring water shoes if your feet are sensitive. "There are lots of families with small children on the beach...so don't expect it to be too quiet. The coba beach is the one I enjoyed the most of the 3 beaches. There are lots of chairs on the beach.

Pools: We are not users of the pools....seen many of them and they were quite amazing in size. There are quiet pools and busy pools with loads of activities.

Bars: There are tons of bars everywhere...not to worry you will not go thirsty. Great service and always a smile. The frozen drinks are amazing.

Entertainment: The night shows were above average compared to the previous years at other resorts.

I recommend this resort for all ages....beautiful grounds that were kept exceptionally clean.

10 Thank mlricher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!