“Great resort, just needs a few refinements”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Montreal
“Great resort, just needs a few refinements”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed here for a 1-week all inclusive. We happen to vacation during the rainy season, which is fine as it was a risk we took. However, the disappointment was the fact that they didn't have an umbrella in our room and when we arrived around midnight, it seemed the room was not ready for us. There was nothing in the mini-bar (not even water) and so we had to venture out in the rain at the 24-hr snack bar.

If you are going to go here, I suggest timing your arrival sometime in the afternoon and not in the late evening because you will not be able to get a hold of anyone at the reception, especially when you arrive after the buffets close (around 10 pm). They claim you can order room service the night when you arrive but after 5 phone calls to reception with no answer we gave up and started to go on our adventure hunt for the snack bar.

Note: This hotel is about 1.5 hrs away from the airport. If you booked via a travel agency, this means they will have to drop off other folks in their hotels and your hotel might be the last one. We arrived around 8 pm at the airport and got to the hotel around midnight! MIght be worth taking a cab in this case.

Pros: good food and you can access any of the buffets from the sister hotels (Akumel and Tulum); they have little trams that you can take to go from one hotel to another.
If you are travelling with children, they ended up putting us in one of the villas close to the water park and pools, which was great so we didn't have to walk that far. Food was clean and we didn't get sick. Just for reference, I was 6 months pregnant at that time and ate the fruits and everything else (except the sushi) and I was OK. I didn't eat any fresh salads or smoothies just to be safe. Everything seems to be neatly handled and food stored properly.

Cons: This is a big place. You need a few days to orient yourself to figure out where you are and there are different trams that go to diff places. Rooms smelled a little bit musty. Beds are a tad too small for two people.

Tips:
For families, the water park is at Bahia Principe Coba only.
Best beach (IMHO): Akumel
Best pools: Akumel
Best lunch buffet: Akumel
Best dinner buffet: Coba
Great ambiance: Tulum
Best drinks: bar at the Coba Premier lobby
*Bring an umbrella if you are travelling during the rainy season. We had to hang around the reception area to find someone who was checking out to get an umbrella as they were all out and they couldn't provide us anything. We are not talking about a little bit of rain, it's a lot of rain and if you don't have an umbrella, you will be stuck inside your room, which is not really cool when you're on vacation.

Room Tip: If travelling with small children, Coba has the water park. But my toddler wasn't really into wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Clearlyoriginal
DireccionhotelComp, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Estimated Guest,

First of all, thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the buffets, internal transportation, room location, drinks, entertainment and safe food. We are sorry to hear that we did not fully meet your expectations with the lack of service on your arrival and room smell. We assure you the same has been communicated to the concerned and necessary action have been taken to ensure we keep providing our guests with the attention and services they deserve.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a second opportunity in a near future.

Receive our warmest regards,

Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,600)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Richboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We traveled to this resort June 2014 for 10 days. First half of the trip was decent. Before the trip, we had requested that we had our room right next door to our children's room. When we arrived to the resort, we were disappointed that their room was a floor beneath us. Luckily we were able to get next door rooms the following day. However, the rooms smelled musty and the air conditioner was broken in our first room.The beaches and resort overall are beautiful. Not much to complain about until half way through the trip. My family of 4 got sick halfway through the vacation. We were throwing up and constantly in the bathroom with the runs. We lost 4 gorgeous days and nights thanks to this sickness. We did not eat or drink the rest of the trip (hence actually losing weight!!!!). However it was not just my family that got sick. We traveled in a group of 48 people, and 30 of us were sick for at least one night. That is an absurd amount of people to get sick. And I continued to be sick when I got home!! So, we were VERY disappointed in the food. It seems delicious at first, but beware, the bathroom will become your best friend at some point during the vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Megan B
DireccionhotelComp, Publci Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Megan,

We appreciate that you have shared the experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We are extremely sorry that it was not positive and that you had health issues.

The hotel takes the health issue very seriously; because we have generally about 5000 clients in the resort. As we all know, clients react differently to a change of climate between the home front and the holiday destination, or eat and drink in other amounts and at other times then they are used to at home, lots of factors out of our reach can lead to stomach upset.

Also, as we mentioned to your group, it is important to refer that we have a control of the International Company of Hygiene called "Crystal" here in the complex; they are doing several controls in all the hotels on the hygiene treatment in the kitchen, in the storage rooms, in the restaurants, bars, and in every place of the hotel where hygiene is a main subject.

Please, once again accept our deepest apologies.

Kind Regards,

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2014

First off, I am a fairly experienced traveller, and secondly, Im an easy person to please. I know what to expect when visiting an all inclusive, and this resort was well below average. We travelled on June 22, 2014, and stayed one week.

Upon Arrival at 11am, We were informed that our room was not ready, and we had to wait until 3pm to check in. This meant that we had to carry our "carry on" luggage around with us, because of some valuables and medications, since there was nowhere to lock them up. All of our other luggage sat by the main lobby, in the SUN, with no supervision. This meant our deodorant, make up, and other personal items, were melting. We retuned to the Golden lobby at 3:15pm, and we were informed that our room would still be another 20 minutes. We were not the only ones in this situation, at least 4 other groups that we saw, were dealing with the same thing. Finally, at 4:15pm, we got our keys, and assumed that a long day of travel was finally over...Not quite yet though. When we got to our room, the cleaning staff was still in there. She was working very hard and quickly. The delay obviously was not her fault, but we still couldn't get in our room until just after 5pm.

At first glance, the room was amazing....then we looked a little closer. Dirty band-aids in the washroom, light bulbs burned out, and a TV with a broken cable to name a few deficiencies. We were only given 2 shower towels, even though we had 3 people in our group. When my wife called the front desk to ask for a third towel, the receptionist actually argued with her, saying that the housekeeper said she had left 3 towels. Eventually someone did bring up a third towel. The room was not cleaned on any kind of regular schedule. When on vacation, I like to return to my room after lunch, usually between 2pm and 3pm, for a rest and to get out of the sun for a few hours. Several days, by this time, the room was still not cleaned, so when the cleaner did finally get there, we were disturbed. Then, disturbed again when the gentleman showed up to replenish the bar fridge. Why could the maid not do this??? 3 days of the week, the mini bar was not replenished at all. Considering you cant drink the tap water, a glass of water before bed would have been nice. All the Villas have Ice machines in them, but none of them work. Ours was actually filled with sand. So if you want Ice, after about 7pm, it is quite a trek to the other side of the resort to get some from the buffet.

One other day, when I returned to my room in the afternoon, there was a man in the washroom caulking around the toilet and bath tub. I totally understand the general maintenance that is necessary, but I would have preferred to be made aware of it. I started to question how many other people were in my room that I didn't know about, and exactly how many people had access to my room?!?! Not a very safe feeling at all. Especially when travelling with my wife and 11 year old daughter.

The food in the buffets was acceptable, but became very mundane by the end of the week. Just slight variations of the same things. We tried to book our a la carte dinners on our first morning there, and we were told that they were all booked solid, unless we wanted a reservation at 10pm, which wasn't an option, since we were traveling with 3 children. (11,8,2 years old) The 2 a la carte that we did get into, were not even at half capacity, and the food was very disappointing to say the least. To get a reservation, you will have to pull out your wallet. I totally understand that these people work for tips, but we, as consumers, should not have to pay, or Tip, for something like this.

The beach was, by far, the worst I have ever seen. Very rocky and not maintained at all. We actually saw, on two occasions, young boys cut their foot on rocks, to the point that they both needed stitches. If a beach is important to you, definitely stay away. On a brighter note, the main pools were nice, but the water was very warm. Not very refreshing. The kids "splash pad" looked great, but it was extremely contaminated. They actually had to shut it down for a day because it was so bad. We also witnessed a little girl fall, and cut her knee, when walking across the bridge at the splash pad. I understand that accidents happen, but when her father went to get her, he slipped as well, and separated his shoulder. It was obviously not safe.

This resort really seemed to shut down at 10:30pm. This is when they started turning out lights along the walkway, and in the hallways. Once again, not a safe feeling. The nightly entertainment, which was quite good, ended around 10pm. So you had about half hour to maybe grab a quick drink and head back to your room with at least some lights on. By 11pm, only 1 in every 6 lights stayed on. Even the lights on your personal balcony would not work after 11pm. Trying to navigate such a LARGE property during the daytime, is a challenge. In the dark, it is almost impossible.

The trolly system was far from effective. Since the resort is so big, to get to certain places, you have no choice but to take for a trolly. At times, we had to wait up to a half hour, for a trolly to pick us up.

We attempted to use one of the "Business Centres" to do our Pre-boarding the evening before we left, since our bus picked us up at 5:45am. Even that turned into a nightmare. We were "Golden" members, so the front desk told us we had to go to the Golden lobby, they tell us we have to use the main lobby....Then the story changed to they were closed. When I pointed out the fact that the HUGE sign says they are open until 11pm, and it was only 10:30pm the story changed to their printer was broken. We basically wasted the last hour and a half of our vacation running around, with nothing to show for it.

I have done quite a bit of traveling in my time, staying at Atlantis on Paradise Island, and several Sandles and Barcelo resorts to name a few. This was my First time at a "BP" and highly doubt I will ever visit one of their resorts again, anywhere in the world

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Ryan P
DireccionhotelComp, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Ryan,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our resort. I would like to make a heartfelt apology that your stay was not up to your expectations. Our team works very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around.

I will not attempt to excuse the occurrences that happened during your stay, but I do sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to reaffirm your faith in us. We will work more on the situations you have mentioned to avoid any further inconveniences.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Warm regards,

England
Reviewed July 15, 2014

To be totally honest, I expected this holiday to be a posh beach holiday with much more expense. I couldn't have been more wrong. Upon arrival, we were told some people (us) had been upgraded to Golden which enabled us unlimited wifi at the Golden lobby, our own bar in the Golden lobby and other upgrades. When checking in, obviously we were exhausted after the 9 1/2 hour flight and 1 1/2 hour coach journey but the reception staff were very attentive and checked us in quickly whilst providing us with cold refreshments. When arriving at our room, we couldn't believe the size and cleanliness of our room: it was extraordinary! We were gobsmacked! The food at the Coba buffet next to the lobby is consistently good but sometimes repeated, however there is always a themed buffet. The A La Carte restaurants do tend to be hit and miss but they are all at least good. If you are a meat eater, I strongly recommend the Gran Tortuga - all you can eat meat! The Mediterranean is very good at Coba also! The staff are so friendly and helpful! The maids are very thorough - especially if you tip them on the first day! The restaurant staff are always very good (I would recommend sitting in the area Andres manages in the buffet as your glass will never be empty!) The animation team are so outgoing and passionate about their job! Me and my sister loved them all - especially Viktor and Alejandro (now left). There are constantly people cleaning all areas of the complex and it is great being able to explore at all three hotels (Coba, Akumal and Tulum) and visiting the Hacienda. The pool area is very clean but you need to be up very early as sun loungers are generally all reserved by 8AM despite signs saying you're not allowed (ignore these - everyone does it!) You can get a buggy to the beach which is beautiful! Blue seas with fish swimming around your feet - what more could you want? We went on the Xel-Ha and Fat Cat excursions. Both were very good although if you do get sea sick, Fat Cat isn't a good idea as it is on a catamaran and me and my mum were poorly all day - wasn't a great experience for us - but my sister and dad had a fabulous time snorkelling and drinking as much as they wanted! To conclude, an extraordinary holiday for all my family!

Room Tip: Away from the main pool as people walk this way on their way home so they can be fairly loud!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Rosie1509
Appreciated Rosie,

Thank you for choosing us, we are delighted that you have spent your vacation with us. It is wonderful to hear that you and your family had an extraordinary time during your visit to our hotel and that you find our services beyond your expectations.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff, food and service; your review will be very helpful for our future guests. We really appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback on Trip Advisor as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service.

Thank you one again for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to your next visit!

Kind regards,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is a great resort. Well priced for two weeks stay. The La Hacienda offers a great place to gather as well as to buy souvenirs without leaving the resort. Twelve a la carte with great food and a welcome drink at each - only three of the a la cartes require men to wear long pants and closed toed shoes - wonderful. Pool and beach are fantastic. Rooms were excellent, clean and a good size. Easy to get around this big resort complex with little "trains" running every few minutes. We truly enjoyed and plan to come back with more family! We had two family members who had never been to an all-inclusive - they liked cruises. They were sold on all-inclusives!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Everything at Coba is close and the trains connect everything else.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Spikeandfamily
Dear Guest,

That you really enjoyed your stay with us and are planning to come back with more family, make us feel so proud of the service we strive for.

Thank you for mentioning all you enjoyed and for convincing your family to spend their holidays in an all inclusive; we are sure; this will not be the last time we are part of this experience.

Greetings from the Caribbean,

Rome
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Being the first time to mexico I didnt really know what to expect and after reading so many reviews on hotels it was pot luck on choosing one,but my expectations were excelled by the Coba.
Firstly the resort was spotless and with so many employees working to keep it that way it was hardly suprising.The room was massive,bed was comfortable,cleaned every day,mini bar restocked and aircon was spot on for a comfortable sleep.
We ate in the buffet all the time and there was so much choice you couldnt really get bored.The table service for drinks and anything else was excellent with the staff being so friendly and attentive,couldnt fault it.The beach was slightly dissapointing as quite small but there were plenty of loungers and umbrellas for everyone and good snorkelling to be had.
Overall really good experience and would definately return to this resort,no problem.
Final note,whilst reading reviews you have to be objective in evaluating them.What I mean is,some people will always find fault in everything and some people will always see things through rose tinted glasses.So to sum up , read some good reviews and some bad and try to see the overall picture before making your mind up where to book.

Room Tip: Stay at Coba,not Akumal if you want rooms that are larger.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank neil w
Dear Neil,

Thank you very much for trusting on the reviews about our hotel and to choosing us to spend your holidays, that we have excelled your expectations give us the motivation to keep working hard to provide the best experience to all of our guests.

We appreciate your suggestions about the reviews, our future guest will thank you for that. Hopefully we have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Greetings from Mexico,

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Would just like to say I have no complaints at all with this hotel.

The staff are amazing and cater for you're every need. The animation team around the pool become your friend and try to get you involved from day one. Especially Alejandro, victor, Jesus and dini. The hotel is constantly cleaned and rooms are checked twice a day so if you enjoy a nap, your bed will be remade after a night out. The food is lovely. I can easily say this is the best hotel I've ever stayed at. The bar men in the lobby are always chatty and the drinks are great.

The hacienda is a fantastic place to be on a night and the animation team taught me a bit of salsa dancing which is a first but it was so much fun.

We had a couple of problems with the room and let front desk know, the problems were sorted within 20 minutes. Couldn't ask for more than that.

I will definitely return to this hotel and would highly recommend it to families, couples or friends.

Stayed July 2014
11 Thank holleeann23
Dear Guest,

We do appreciate hearing from our guests after visiting us at the Riviera Maya; their comments are vital for us to continuously improve our service.

Thank you for your recent stay and for the comments you wrote about It, in which you experienced the amazing staff, friendly animation team, cleanliness and lovely food. We feel flattered to read that you consider our hotel one of the best hotel that you ever stayed, thank you for recommending us.

We would be delighted to welcome you back in the future,

Best Regards,

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,831 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!