We stayed here for a 1-week all inclusive. We happen to vacation during the rainy season, which is fine as it was a risk we took. However, the disappointment was the fact that they didn't have an umbrella in our room and when we arrived around midnight, it seemed the room was not ready for us. There was nothing in the mini-bar (not even water) and so we had to venture out in the rain at the 24-hr snack bar.
If you are going to go here, I suggest timing your arrival sometime in the afternoon and not in the late evening because you will not be able to get a hold of anyone at the reception, especially when you arrive after the buffets close (around 10 pm). They claim you can order room service the night when you arrive but after 5 phone calls to reception with no answer we gave up and started to go on our adventure hunt for the snack bar.
Note: This hotel is about 1.5 hrs away from the airport. If you booked via a travel agency, this means they will have to drop off other folks in their hotels and your hotel might be the last one. We arrived around 8 pm at the airport and got to the hotel around midnight! MIght be worth taking a cab in this case.
Pros: good food and you can access any of the buffets from the sister hotels (Akumel and Tulum); they have little trams that you can take to go from one hotel to another.
If you are travelling with children, they ended up putting us in one of the villas close to the water park and pools, which was great so we didn't have to walk that far. Food was clean and we didn't get sick. Just for reference, I was 6 months pregnant at that time and ate the fruits and everything else (except the sushi) and I was OK. I didn't eat any fresh salads or smoothies just to be safe. Everything seems to be neatly handled and food stored properly.
Cons: This is a big place. You need a few days to orient yourself to figure out where you are and there are different trams that go to diff places. Rooms smelled a little bit musty. Beds are a tad too small for two people.
For families, the water park is at Bahia Principe Coba only.
Best beach (IMHO): Akumel
Best pools: Akumel
Best lunch buffet: Akumel
Best dinner buffet: Coba
Great ambiance: Tulum
Best drinks: bar at the Coba Premier lobby
*Bring an umbrella if you are travelling during the rainy season. We had to hang around the reception area to find someone who was checking out to get an umbrella as they were all out and they couldn't provide us anything. We are not talking about a little bit of rain, it's a lot of rain and if you don't have an umbrella, you will be stuck inside your room, which is not really cool when you're on vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Expedia, BP USA TRAVEL INC, Hotwire, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico