“Wonderful, exceeded expectations”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Visited 3/1 thru 3/8. Feel that this is a great value for the money. Upgraded to the Club Golden. Check in was swift and smooth once we got to the proper lobby. Cool drink offered immediately. Traveled thru Apple Vacation and used Club Golden which provided in room safe at no additional charge. Wonderful room location, close to pools, snack bar, and other places to eat, close to small shopping area. Wonderful room, more than adequate in size, easy to control the temperature - never too warm even though it was in the high 80's low 90's outside. Bed was somewhat firm but provided a very comfortable nights sleep. Extremely clean property - both in the rooms, on the grounds and the pools. Stayed on the second floor in building 1A - did not have any issues with the room. No smells as reported in some of the reviews. Housekeeping in the room was outstanding. Had cute towel decorations or flowers every day. Never a shortage of clean towels or bath mat etc. If you like a face cloth - might want to bring some with you - we had them provided but some guest indicated they did not and had difficulty getting one. Pool towels provided in the room on arrival, always plenty of clean pool towels for exchange when yours is wet/dirty at the pools. Fruit bowl and champagne, and a well stock mini bar in the room on arrival. Plenty of bottled water provided every day and restocking of any items used. Bathroom well stocked also - shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bath salts, tooth brushes and small paste, comb, shave kit, shower cap, buff sponge, soaps -( liquid and bar ), hair dryer, robes and slippers, make-up mirror.
Enjoyed the food, found the premier lobby offered less choices but all were good and much less crowded than other areas. Do note however that they use this area for a reservation area at night called the Oasis. Tried all the buffets and several reservation only eating options. Try the Spanish Coffee at your reservation location - great and beautifully presented. Our favorites were Japanese and Don Pablo (reservations required) Note they are very flexible with reservations and will accommodate a little early or late arrival is space is available. 24 hour snack area also very nice-always something to eat. Cappuccino available at several locations including the snack area. Tequila, coffee and tea available in premier lounge most of the day. Apple vacations and Bahia provided a special dinner for Apple vacations guest one evening. Lobster, shrimp etc will all the trimings - tee shirts and special entertainment.
Shows were good, better than most all inclusive's. Don't start until a little after 9PM. Bring bug spray - their mosquitoes bite and like in the US itch for days. Premier bar area has live entertainment and dancing every evening with lots of seating and great atmosphere.
Larger shopping area Hacienda was fun had tons of shops and booths to visit -souvenir items main offering..
Our vacation was made extra special by Julian Vivas, bartender at the Lobby Premier. He is extremely knowledgeable of the entire property and ALWAYS greats his guest with a smile and learns their favorite cocktail very quickly - which makes you feel special and welcome. Julian goes out of his way to be sure everything possible is being done to make your stay great. Also Carlos Tun, Gerente Club Golden - patient, understanding and wants to be sure all guest have the best possible experience at Grand Bahia Principe-Coba. The staff is one of the greatest assets at this location. All we encountered were friendly and eager to please you. We received two calls at our room on different nights from a manager making sure we didn't need anything and were happy with our stay.
Some items I would suggest for improved guest convenience are as follows:
1. More lounge chairs at the pools (Although there were always lounges on the beach) and
yes they play the towel game here even though their are signs asking to refrain. Typical of
all the other resorts we have visited.
2. Need an Activities board located in the Premier Lobby- we had to go to the other lobbies
to find out what was going on that day and what shows were where.
3. Transport drivers are not very familiar with the Club Golden lobby and took us to other
locations when we asked to go to Club Golden lobby. Training issue??
4. Need more transport from Coba and Premier lobby to Tulum property. Almost missed a
dinner reservation waiting 1/2 hour for a transport - finally bell boy provided a private ride
for us. (This is an example of if you experience a problem tell someone - they will get you
assistance if asked)
Tips - Bring your pool towels to the lobby along with the safe key/lock for check out. Bring plenty of sun screen - they have it though out the resort but expensive and you will need it the sun is very intense. Bring bug spray if you plan to be outdoors in the evening. Pack a pool float for your enjoyment in these wonderful pools - worried it will weigh too much - pay it forward and leave it for another guest at the resort ($4 at Walmart in US) and replace weigh in suitcase with items you purchase at the market. Floats available at resort to purchase $15). Enjoy your Vacation :)

6  Thank TwoTravelers-OntheGo
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Dear Helen,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. It is very rewarding that you enjoyed your holidays.

We are proud of our effort because you a wonderful stay full of fun. Certainly Julian and Carlos Tun are good examples of the good job of all our staff. We will send them your greetings.

Your suggestions are more than welcome. Ww have reviewed them with the management to take actions where is necessary.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Write a ReviewReviews (14,090)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Nice place but massive, room was run down, disorganized, and FAR from the beach. 7500 guests at this place. Constantly got lost. Nice staff but too big for them to maintain properly. My fridge and some lights didn't work in my room and toilet was tilted and ran all day and night. Grounds are beautiful. Pools are nice. Weather was great. Lots of iguanas and coati animals running around. Nice kids pool/water slides. Last hotel of the strip south of playa del Carmen. Next stop is the tulum Mayan ruins. Long trip to this hotel from the cancun airport.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank jakefroggie

Dear JaKe,

We would like to thank you for the time that you took to share your opinion. We are really delighted that you spent your holidays with us. It is great to know that you enjoyed our facilities.

We would like to comment that the areas of opportunity which were described have been reviewed by our management team and they are taking corrective actions where is necessary.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

This was our third stay at this resort in the past 5 years, all for weddings or family functions. We have found the service drop on each stay. Booked in the "Golden" section we found this to be even more disappointing. Unattended bars/station where not uncommon...attitude of bar attendants ranged from uninterested to ok. The buffet staff was great! Rooms very clean, beach nice but swimming in ocean is meh! The biggest disappointment was the a la carte dining. For us..not worth the price.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank douglas r

Dear Douglas,

We really appreciate your review about your holidays. It is a pleasure to read that you have visited us before and you keep enjoying our facilities.

We would like to welcome you back.

Cordially,

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is the third year in a row that I have visited this resort - the first time I had to change rooms five times #1- someone else's room, #2 - room with two double beds...I was alone with my husband and NO kids, #3 no room at Coba so had to go to Akumal for the night #4 water leakage from room upstairs and finally # 5 - Paradise! The remainder of the trip was amazing and I returned again last year because of it - no problems at all. I returned again this year with my Mom and two sisters (my Dad passed away in September and we really needed to get away) - I emailed the hotel several times BEFORE my arrival to ensure that everything went off without a hitch. Ya right! Apparently they have changed management staff or the administrator or something like that and what a huge "disappointing" change!! They booked us into rooms with double beds....for the price we paid I was not about to sleep with my sister for the week....when we pointed this out and asked to change they simply said "No - they were completely booked with no chance of moving. We agreed to have one night in these rooms and go talk to our Nolitours rep the next day. They changed one room (not both so my Mom and sister and to share a bed all week)....my other sister and I got moved to a different building (defeats the purpose of a trip together) and woke the first night to find termites - everywhere!!!!They would not move us rooms but instead "sprayed" the room and said they switched out the wood furniture....very difficult as everything is wood (doorframes etc) and the wooded built in couch cannot be moved!!!! We had days where no water was left and we had to make many many calls to get some - days with one towel only - no face clothes, dirty rooms......when we first moved to this room there was someone else's half drank water and coke in out fridge!!!!

Other issues:
# 1....you now have to pay for liquor in the lobby at night....i.e.: vodka, rum,gin etc....every other time this was all included.....isn’t that what "all inclusive is"???
# 2....many times they ran out of food at buffet....no salsa or guacamole many nights and when we asked if they were making more they said "No" (aren't we in Mexico???)
#3....very overcrowded - everywhere
#4....rooms not maintained like they used to be
#5....poor customer service, especially at the front desk.....many times they would not even answer if you called
# alacarte menu is mostly the same as food served in buffet (especially deserts)
Overall I was very disappointed with this resort.....I will definitely be going elsewhere next year.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Mclouis37
RRPPCOBA, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear Tripadvisor user,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to read everyone’s opinion.

Regarding the described issues, we are very sorry that you left our facilities with a wrong impression since this has never happened in the hotel before. Therefore, we would like to inform you that our housekeeping department has a schedule of a constant fumigation program during the year which avoids any sort issues in our rooms.

It is also important to remark that we do our utmost to provide the best accommodation according to your request but it strictly depends on availability on the arrival date.

However, all your comments have been reviewed by our management team and they are taking actions where is necessary.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Above all, I needed someplace where I relax and I found it here at the Coba. Checking in was a breeze the gentleman at the front desk was very informative and helpfull. The resort is very large, and the small trains make it easy to get around. After we settled in, the map of the property that as given to us helped us get familiar with the property. The Coba is back from the beach, but don't let that sway you. There are two lovely pools almost directly outside your room, and once you know the route, the beach is just a short 5 minute morning stroll. Of course there is always the little trains that run on a regular basis that pick up at meeting points through out the propertly.

I found the food to be excellent and of course plentyful. The nightly shows at the Coba were far better than what I had originally expected them to be. Very good job !!! This resort is not only a great resort for couples, but a wonderful resort for children of all ages. There were plenty of activities for them, including participating in the Lion King show. Those children looked as though there were having a great time.

My vacation was as a single. I didn't see many singles there, however i'm sure there were some. It's such a large resort when combined with the Tulum and Akumal that it would be very easy to get lost in the crowd. I did go to the disco at the Hacienda, however the music was far too loud for me. I was on vacation with my brother and sister inlaw. We found it very relaxing in the evenings to sit in the lobby at the Coba and enjoy some laughter and a few drinks after the evening shows. I would like to wish a very very special thank you to Salucia our waitress. She was such a sweet person. We deliberately chose her section in the evenings so that I could have fun talking with her. Very gracious woman with a lovely personality.

The resort was what I needed, care free, relaxing, hosted by wonderful people who were attentive and informative. The grounds were very well kept and clean, and the rooms were spotless. There were two mornings that the maid forgot to give me a facecloths. She quickly gave me some when I asked for them. The day I hung it up with my towel, meaning I didn't need a fresh one, but she took it, and I had to ask her again for one. I did not find it to be a big deal, I simply thought that perhaps she was newly employed and still learning. The beds are hard though, and it took some time to get used to that.

I took advantage of the spa for a massage one morning. That certainly is a great way to start the day. My daughter is a registered massage therapist here in Ontario. The price for a massage at the Coba was double what is charged here in Ontario. Still however, it was a nice way to start the day

Adventures where to be had both on and off the property, and the people at the kiosks in the main lobby were helpful in setting you up. Also, take the time to talk with other guests regarding their outings and what they recommend.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor across from the water park, room 33103. I was near the meeting points whe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Justinmyview

Dear Tripadvisor user,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your comments. It is very pleasant that you had enjoyed your time at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We are very happy that you had a relaxing vacation with us. We will send your compliments to the staff as a testimonial of their great effort, especially Salucia.

We would be honored to welcome you back.

Regards,
Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was our 1st resort vacation and also our 1st time in Mexico. The Gran Bahia Principe Coba was wonderful. Starting with the staff let me say they all had smiles and nice things to say all the time. The grounds were well taken care of and everywhere we went was very clean.
I'm not a pool person but I became one. Sparkling clear water, beautiful palms and shrubs and resort employees taking care of our needs (drink refills)!
The buffets were always tended to and we didn't go without. So many choices and also the most delicious fruits/vegetables I've ever had. The tomatoes & watermelon were out of this world!!
The hotel sponsored a lobster/shrimp (BBQ) dinner on Thursday night along with a free T-shirt and a show. WOW! It was the best time ever! So much fun. Thank You Gran Bahia Principe!!

We WILL be going back again and as soon as possible. We did learn though that the 3rd floor can be a bit of a drain on your legs (32 steps) if you're not in good shape, LOL. We'll be requesting 1st or 2nd floor rooms.
I also want to mention that I did read a few negative reviews and am a bit shocked. My wife and I came back home with nothing but great things to say about the whole experience and can't wait to go back. I feel so very sorry if other people didn't get the same treatment that we got. From what we saw and everyone we met there wasn't anyone that was having a bad time there. Maybe it's the old saying that you can please some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time??

Room Tip: The 3rd floor balcony was private and wonderful but watch out for all the steps getting up there, LO...
5  Thank dale r

Dear Tripadvisor user,

We would like to thank you for choosing us to spend your holidays. We appreciate all your comments about your stay since they are our best reward.

It is delightful that you had enjoyed your time here and we fulfilled your expectations.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is my second stay at this resort, both times were for 4 day excursions booked through Apple. The staff is very friendly and professional. The food buffets are excellent, the Tulum dinner buffet is the best one I have ever seen, choices were amazing. The grounds are very beautiful and manicured. The beach was excellent, we tended to go to the right for quiet. The pools looked nice, not a pool guy. The bars provided excellent choices. The nightly entertainment was wonderful. Complaints: 1) Was the first day we did not get towels to shower, had to use pool towels, but we tipped the next morning and had towels. 2) Asked for the mattress pad to soften the hard bed, but never got it.

Room Tip: If you want a little meditation quiet time, put on your flip flops start walking south on the beach...
2  Thank sweenman85

Dear Tripadvisor user,

Thank you very much for the time you took to write a valuable point of view of everything that you experienced during your recent stay at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We are committed to make, every stay, the best experience. Therefore, knowing that you are pleased with our efforts makes us feel happy.

Your suggestions are more than welcome. We have sent your comments to the head of the department so that they take actions where is necessary.

We would like to welcome you back.

Best Regards,